2012 NFL and NCAA Football Thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In what has to be one of the worst Sundays in a long time for the league. Count em (3) former All Pro QB's going down with injuries.

The Eagles Micheal Vick, 49ers Alex Smith and Bears Jay Cutler all suffering concussions. This is especially hurtful for the Niners and Bears who are both NFC Super Bowl Contenders if Smith and Cutler are out for an extended period of time.

Micheal Vick's injury was coming. The o-line of the Eagles won't block to save their lives. This team is 3-6 mainly because of that. I am about to answer the Trivia questions you sent Shortline so look out for that.

Another star QB went down due to injury today as Big Ben injured his right shoulder in the Monday Night game. The steelers found a way to win being the better team but it was a sloppy game and it doesn't look too good for the Steel City.

- Steelers are lucky they got a 'W' out of that game back on monday.... Leftwich is a bonafide BUM.

He throws a football like a major league pitcher.... I actually would start Batch (who I didn't know was still on that team) over Leftwich.

- How about 4 starting QB's gettin knocked out this past week..... Alex Smith's though was his own damn fault, and Vick..... OMG, I cannot be the only person that feels as if Vick faked a concussion to take (some of) the heat off Andy Reid.... It justified benching/sitting Vick due to such a circumstance, instead of Reid & company actually having to make a decision otherwise to play that kid Foles..... That hit Vick took, I was like, nah anhh, he aint get no concussion from that..... I'm not buying the 'cumulative effects of all the hits he took' argument either..... And I absolutely adore how Reid himself goes on to describe said concussion as being "pretty significant".....

Now When have you ever heard anyone place a label like that on any other athlete that has ever had a concussion in the past ?

- LMFAO @ all the backlash in the media that the Jets are getting right now.... Goes on to prove my point about Rex Ryan that much more....

How delusional, how naive, & how much more of a company man can you be... Funny how the same thing is happening in the jet locker room that took place in denver a year ago, with unnamed players criticizing Tebow...... Thing w/ Rex's Jets teams though is, players under his wing have a history of throwing fellow teammates under the bus.....

I bet Jet fans long for the days of Rich Kotite right about now... Lol !

So.

The BCS is so corrupt a SEC team will still find themselves in the championship game. And if Bama runs the table they could still be in the so call BCS title game.

I had the same sentiments when Alabama lost on saturday... I just shrugged my shoulders....

Last year's Alabama team was legit.... this year's team really didn't deserve to be #1, and McCarron (their QB) is overrated like I don't know what.... Heisman trophy? this guy? All this talk about not throwing a pick before saturday - and he up & throws not one, but 2 of em on saturday in that loss..... Hell, even the game 2 weeks ago (vs LSU) they deserved to lose - 'Bama absolutely stole that game.....

The real injustice in NCAA football right now is that Notre Dame is up there sittin 3rd in the ranks to K-State (kansas state) & Oregon (even though I love the way they run their offense) due to the fact that they have flashier offenses..... The Irish have more top 10 wins than both of those teams... Totally unfair.

If Oregon or Kansas State loses in these next 2 weeks & Alabama wins out, you WILL see Alabama in the National title game...

Guaranteed.

http://www.the506.co.../2012/wk11.html

Why on earth is FOX showing NYC a game between the Saints (4-5, worst defense in NFL history so far) and the Raiders (3-6, no chance of making the playoffs)? I know it's a weak slate with Chicago and San Fran on MNF plus the Giants bye week but at least show NYC a team that matters. The Green Bay vs Detroit game would be better or maybe even the 8-1 Falcons playing Arizona. The only decent games on this week are the Colts vs Pats and the primetime games (SNF, MNF).

Speaking of Colts vs Pats that is the lowest distribution for a lead doubleheader game I've seen in a long time.

To comment on B35, I see no reason why Vick would have faked a concussion in what was a very winnable game for the Eagles. If Philly wins that the talk is about a possible playoff run given the favorable schedule and not firing Reed. Speaking of Reed, he would be coach of the year if he got this team to block people. It's like defenses have free reign to limit McCoy's YPC and go after Vick.

http://www.the506.co.../2012/wk11.html

Why on earth is FOX showing NYC a game between the Saints (4-5, worst defense in NFL history so far) and the Raiders (3-6, no chance of making the playoffs)? I know it's a weak slate with Chicago and San Fran on MNF plus the Giants bye week but at least show NYC a team that matters. The Green Bay vs Detroit game would be better or maybe even the 8-1 Falcons playing Arizona. The only decent games on this week are the Colts vs Pats and the primetime games (SNF, MNF).

Buddy i got 5 words for you. Direct TV or at least NFL Red Zone channel. Just be grateful about 80% of NFL regular season games are still on Free over the air network tv.

With that said, I never could understand why on a week like this why not alllow the CBS or FOX affilate in that market to vore via phone, email or text their choice for being shown in that region. In Philly for instance (not sure they still do it)the Local CBS Philly station for years would allow viewers when Eagles were not on air(most Eagles are on the Fox Philly station)to vote for games in that time slot (i.e 1pm CBS games if Eagles had a 4pm game)via phone and later email and recently texts. That would been the fairest solution.

I had the same sentiments when Alabama lost on saturday... I just shrugged my shoulders....

Last year's Alabama team was legit.... this year's team really didn't deserve to be #1, and McCarron (their QB) is overrated like I don't know what.... Heisman trophy? this guy? All this talk about not throwing a pick before saturday - and he up & throws not one, but 2 of em on saturday in that loss..... Hell, even the game 2 weeks ago (vs LSU) they deserved to lose - 'Bama absolutely stole that game.....

The real injustice in NCAA football right now is that Notre Dame is up there sittin 3rd in the ranks to K-State (kansas state) & Oregon (even though I love the way they run their offense) due to the fact that they have flashier offenses..... The Irish have more top 10 wins than both of those teams... Totally unfair.

If Oregon or Kansas State loses in these next 2 weeks & Alabama wins out, you WILL see Alabama in the National title game...

Guaranteed.

Well said Bro and I agree. Ideally NCAA Football should pack up and be replaced with a AAA-type minor league baseball or Jr. Hockey system but it wont happen in my lifetime.(That for another discussion)NCAA Divison I Basketball is much fairer with a 68 team tournment(IMO still too many teams i would love for it to go back to 48 teams in the tournment which it was in 1982-'83 when i was a little pup in grade school lol)but College Football is now according to most polls the 2nd most popular sport by fans in America so it a multi billion dollar biz.

Thankfully the BCS starting in 2014 system will be replaced with a "Final 4 Mini Football Playoff" that would at least for 1st time every few years allow mid size college like Boise State into the mix for a championship. The SEC, Pac 10 and other long time old boy networks will still get at least 3 spots every year. Now for first time at least, a mid major has a chance to win a division I NCAA Championship by getting a chance which under the current BCS system was no chance.

To comment on B35, I see no reason why Vick would have faked a concussion in what was a very winnable game for the Eagles. If Philly wins that the talk is about a possible playoff run given the favorable schedule and not firing Reed. Speaking of Reed, he would be coach of the year if he got this team to block people. It's like defenses have free reign to limit McCoy's YPC and go after Vick.

This debacle with the Eagles is far bigger than any one game/potential win.....

As far as defenses getting into the Eagles backfield at will... Well, that's what happens when you have 3rd stringers in there in the trenches trying to protect your QB..... Basically what I'm alluding to is, the problems w/ this team is far bigger than Michael Vick himself (whether he faked a concussion or not) - Although he's not doing himself much of any justice out there on the field, either......

But I do think Reid is using Vick as a scapegoat to save his own behind.... I forget who on ESPN said something similar, but I agree 100% with the assessment..... I get the sense that he wants to have Vick in there for all 16 games, but his higher-ups wanted to put that kid in there at QB weeks ago..... This supposed concussion kills two birds w/ one stone, and I still call shen's on the whole thing, that's just me....

Thankfully the BCS starting in 2014 system will be replaced with a "Final 4 Mini Football Playoff" that would at least for 1st time every few years allow mid size college like Boise State into the mix for a championship. The SEC, Pac 10 and other long time old boy networks will still get at least 3 spots every year. Now for first time at least, a mid major has a chance to win a division I NCAA Championship by getting a chance which under the current BCS system was no chance.

I have doubts about this mini playoff, but if I took the lesser of two evils, I do favor it over the current biased (and IMO, fixed) system the NCAA got goin currently.....

:lol: @ USC right now. The preseason #1 is getting BLOWN out against UCLA. This team looks like they shouldn't be ranked at all.

I spoke too soon, it's 24-14 at halftime.

Hearing Gus Johnson call a game is sweet. The man just exudes passion for the game and makes every play sound nice.

#1 Kansas State is in trouble right now. It looks like Oregon and Notre Dame are in the driver's seat for the national title.

:lol: @ USC right now. The preseason #1 is getting BLOWN out against UCLA. This team looks like they shouldn't be ranked at all.

I spoke too soon, it's 24-14 at halftime.

Hearing Gus Johnson call a game is sweet. The man just exudes passion for the game and makes every play sound nice.

It still amazing Gus Johnson was fired by CBS Sports. Rumor has it, the exces at CBS Sports was not thrilled at Gus 'over the top" play-play calling (i.e NFL and College Basketball) and prefer their lead announcers to have a "no frills" style of their boy Jim Natnz.

- (soon to be former) #1 kansas state spanked by baylor... game was a blowout pretty much from beginning to end (I forgot RG3 went to Baylor... looks like they've picked up where he left off...)

- (soon to be former) #2 oregon exposed by stanford... stanford's defense overwhelmed oregon's offense throughout (Mariota, their QB, looked lost out there too, IMO)... oregon couldn't get a running game going at all.... out of all that, still leading 14-7, they kept letting stanford hang around by not scoring on the 2 turnovers they got off them in that 2nd half.... stanford eventually got a game tying TD to send it to OT (helps when you can just lob it up to a 6'6" TE in the back of the end zone)... oregon missed a FG in OT off the upright, and stanford made theirs - 17-14 stanford win...

When was the last time the #1 & #2 seed lost in the same week anyway ?

Regardless, Good....

So now the rightful team that deserves to be #1, will end up being #1, which is Notre Dame.

- (soon to be former) #1 kansas state spanked by baylor... game was a blowout pretty much from beginning to end (I forgot RG3 went to Baylor... looks like they've picked up where he left off...)

- (soon to be former) #2 oregon exposed by stanford... stanford's defense overwhelmed oregon's offense throughout (Mariota, their QB, looked lost out there too, IMO)... oregon couldn't get a running game going at all.... out of all that, still leading 14-7, they kept letting stanford hang around by not scoring on the 2 turnovers they got off them in that 2nd half.... stanford eventually got a game tying TD to send it to OT (helps when you can just lob it up to a 6'6" TE in the back of the end zone)... oregon missed a FG in OT off the upright, and stanford made theirs - 17-14 stanford win...

Regardless, Good....

So now the rightful team that deserves to be #1, will end up being #1, which is Notre Dame.

and now Alabama will end up at #2. So much for a title killing loss against A&M.

As of now the conference title games look like this

Pac 12- #13 Stanford vs #17 UCLA (rankings soon to change)

Big 10- #14 Nebraska vs Wisconsin

ACC- #10 Florida State vs (insert mediocre ACC Coastal champ here)

SEC- #5 Georgia vs #4 Alabama

Regardless, Good....

I am sure ESPN and the folks at the BCS are partying tonight for their possible 'dream" NCAA Football Div. I championship game B-) . Featuring maybe very soon, two of the most pretigous teams in terms of BCS/NCAA Titles won ever w/ Notre Dame and Alabama. Even casual sports fans who not into college football would watch that game.

Kind of like the Lakers vs. Celtics in NBA or Cubs or Dodgers vs Yanks in World Series matchup. Not to mention the good chance, a possible Texas-Notre Dame classh being maybe most watched College Football game of all time (currently the all time classic (think it was Jan. 2006) when Texas's Vince Young shocked Reggie Bush, then coach Pete Caroll and company USC team)

This NFL update is presented by Macy's. With the 2012 NFL season now about 2/3 over and only 5 weeks until end of regular season, the hunt for the playoffs now takes hold. In the 1st half aka 1pm kickoffs(ET)of the Sunday games no big shocks. Jets beat an improving Rams club in St Louis. While in the wildest game of the afternoon so far, The Cowboys survive a minor upset attempt by the Browns to win in OT. Ditto for the Falcons who lost only 1 game this season.

However the 2 best games of this weekend are on Sunday Night and Monday Night. The Steelers and Ravens play in the NBC game while the Bears and 49ers both probable playoff teams try to stay aloft after losing their QB's (Smith for 49ers & Cutler for Bears)playing each other in the espn game.

Well at least the Jets did what they were supposed to & beat the lowly Rams.....

Quite a bit of OT games so far (bucs/panthers, cowboys/browns, texans/jags).... the latter of which is the most surprising to me; houston needing almost the whole OT period to beat the lowly jags..... some comeback against the browns by the cowboys (giants should be embarrassed if they don't win the division this year..... to boot, smh @ the way the redskins beat the eagles today)....

right now I'm watching the colts/pats game..... should be a shootout... colts are leading by a TD early, 14-7

Well at least the Jets did what they were supposed to & beat the lowly Rams.....

Quite a bit of OT games so far (bucs/panthers, cowboys/browns, texans/jags).... the latter of which is the most surprising to me; houston needing almost the whole OT period to beat the lowly jags..... some comeback against the browns by the cowboys (giants should be embarrassed if they don't win the division this year..... to boot, smh @ the way the redskins beat the eagles today)....

right now I'm watching the colts/pats game..... should be a shootout... colts are leading by a TD early, 14-7

Yup. I am sure by now, even some of the hardcore andy reid supporters has now jumped ship and are now screaming via sportsradio WIP(WFAN's sister station down there)for Owner Jeff Laurie to Reid to be fired.

San Francisco dominates Chicago 32-7 on MNF. It looks like the Bears can't beat the good teams. At this point after Week 11 of the Season...

The teams that were expected to be in the playoff hunt for the most part are... (Pats,Ravens,Steelers,Texans,Packers,Giants,49ers)

The teams that aren't in the hunt have looked flat out bad most of the season. 2012 NFL is looking like what we've come to expect from the NBA with the playoff teams not being challenged in the regular season.

San Francisco dominates Chicago 32-7 on MNF. It looks like the Bears can't beat the good teams. At this point after Week 11 of the Season...

The teams that were expected to be in the playoff hunt for the most part are... (Pats,Ravens,Steelers,Texans,Packers,Giants,49ers)

The teams that aren't in the hunt have looked flat out bad most of the season. 2012 NFL is looking like what we've come to expect from the NBA with the playoff teams not being challenged in the regular season.

Actually this is what the old Pre Free Agent/Salary Cap era of the NFL was like. Only difference was that you usually had 2-3 "elite" teams, 5-6 'good teams" and rest were medicore or crap. Now in 2012, there are *NO ELITE Teams.* The team mentioned as the top tier are almost evenly matched.

Archived