2012 NFL and NCAA Football Thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

Oh well, looks like old man charlie batch will be playing next week's game for the steelers....

Leftwich got his ribs broken in that Ravens game.... In that last drive where he threw a hail mary type pass & short-hopped his receiver by like 10 years, you could easily tell something was wrong.... His whole demeanor looked as if he had the flu or something in the latter part of the 2nd half, with the way he would hunch over damn near after every throw.... Gotta admire his toughness though....

Speaking of the Steelers, how about them resigning Plaxico Burress.... Apparently, Jerricho Cotchery (another NY Jets reject) went down in sunday's game against the Ravens also...

I gotta say this too....

Speaking of the Ravens, I really don't see what the uproar is about the league fining (and making an example out of) Ed Reed, regarding hits to the head..... I mean sure, they could've made an example out of that dude LaRon Landry (who's good for coming out of nowhere & clocking guys), but IMO, all that would've accomplished is the more veteran safeties in the league feeling as if they'll get a pass b/c they're vets...... I say you target the vets & send a message to ALL the DB's in the league that hits to the head are unwarranted...... The counter-arguments I'm hearing from guys like Tom Jackson, Cris Carter, & Mike Golic are ridiculous, talking about (Reed's hits, since the NFL's saying that he's a repeat offender) the receivers lowered their head in those plays, thus changing Reed's target level/target area or w/e....

Of course, NONE of those guys (I'm surprised @ Cris Carter & Keyshawn didn't, being former WR's themselves) brought up that the natural instinct of a human being is to motion their head downward after having to jump to catch something, or otherwise catching a pass not in stride... You're not gonna keep your head upwards (so that it makes it easier for a DB to hit your chest or w/e), that's just plain stupid, as it exposes your neck...... What it is, is that these DB's wanna make highlight, Sportscenter top 10 worthy hits on these receivers.... Always thought it was some punk isht to go helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver.... I'm with the NFL on this, t'hell w/ their career threatening, those can life altering type hits.... Although I do agree w/ the notion of critics of Reed's fining that this isn't solely about player safety - They're going about the whole thing to limit lawsuits as well..... There's a class action lawsuit from some of the retired players against the NFL now.....

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually this is what the old Pre Free Agent/Salary Cap era of the NFL was like. Only difference was that you usually had 2-3 "elite" teams, 5-6 'good teams" and rest were medicore or crap. Now in 2012, there are *NO ELITE Teams.* The team mentioned as the top tier are almost evenly matched.

What is an 'elite' team to you being that you use the word? Also my post had nothing to do with that. I'm saying that there is a clear separation between good and bad teams with very few (IMO none) teams claiming a place somewhere in the middle. The NBA these days is just like that.

- lol... so they lifted the Ed Reed 1 game suspension..... So instead of losing a game check (which is around 450k they said for him... crazy right), he's gonna get hit w/ a fine that's 1/9th of that number (that's 50k, for those that aren't good w/ numbers).... There's still a bit of an uproar that he's getting fined, period...... I love how the analysts on ESPN are treating this guy like he's some sort of saint... like he's never had bad intentions when unloading on any of the receiver's he's done so throughout his career.... Give me a freakin break.....

Like "damon" said in friday after next when katt williams had his pants down in the bathroom..... "Fresh Fish on the Line"

- Poor Alex Smith.... just been announced that Kaepernick will be next week's starter....

I predicted that to acquaintances too - I told them if Kaepernick played a halfway decent game this past monday, watch he's gonna end up taking Smith's job as starting QB.... I mean let's face it, Smith is overrated (personally, I think the 49ers wanted to get rid of him since last season... they were looking for any reason, any bright spot out of *someone* to revoke alex smith of his starting role)... and in the few instances before that MNF game where Kaepernick made his first start, this kid looks to be the real deal.... You are not gonna win championships kicking a wad of damn FG's; Smith is a so-called "game manager" (hate that term for QB's.... it's a nice way of saying "he's not that good) that had a time driving the team into the end zone with his ARM.... that's why Akers got all them dam FG/FG opportunities b/w last year & this year......

I'm with Harbaugh 100% with QB change....

Texans steal one in OT against the Lions, 34-31..... Now it's 9 straight thanksgiving's the Lions haven't won a game in....

Detroit deserved to win this one; they got screwed.... earlier on in the game, Schwartz shouldn't have thrown the challenge flag (because all scoring plays are automatically reviewable now), but the Lions still got screwed on a Texans 81yd rushing TD, where the RB was clearly down by contact... refs didn't blow the whistle, so dude got back up & ran for the TD (which I gotta say, was heads up on his part).....

2 missed FG's (one by each team; Graham 51 yarder jusssst wide left & Hanson from 47 doinked it off the right upright) in OT, 2 turnovers in OT (one by each team), and w/ about 2 mins to go in the OT, Graham kicks a 30 something yarder to end it (just barely made it too)....

edit: added a link to the video clip of that controversial play

Texans steal one in OT against the Lions, 34-31..... Now it's 9 straight thanksgiving's the Lions haven't won a game in....

Detroit deserved to win this one; they got screwed.... earlier on in the game, Schwartz shouldn't have thrown the challenge flag (because all scoring plays are automatically reviewable now), but the Lions still got screwed on a Texans 81yd rushing TD, where the RB was clearly down by contact... refs didn't blow the whistle, so dude got back up & ran for the TD (which I gotta say, was heads up on his part).....

2 missed FG's (one by each team; Graham 51 yarder jusssst wide left & Hanson from 47 doinked it off the right upright) in OT, 2 turnovers in OT (one by each team), and w/ about 2 mins to go in the OT, Graham kicks a 30 something yarder to end it (just barely made it too)....

edit: added a link to the video clip of that controversial play

I will say this (Houston-Motown) might be the best played Thanksgiving Classic (that what the NFL now wants to call these holiday games) since the Leon Lett game (i.e Dolphins vs. Cowboys in Thanksgiving 1993). My regret is i fell asleep in 3rd quarter and missed rest of game. I am sure NFL Network will replay the game. Most of time

And on Skins-Cowboys, this is basically RGIII "prime time tv" debut party to America. This game shows if he stays healthy, RGIII and Luck will be for next decade, the showcase leaguewide star players i.e role Peyton, Brady and Brees now have.

Huge loss for Cowboys not only in wild card race but also in division race to the Giants.

I am sure NBC announcers Al Micheals and Chris Collingsworth were counting the down to end of last night Pats butt kicking loss to Jets 48-14. I did not even both watching games as i was on phone w/ my family and had to clean up after thanksgiving dinner.

As since Micheals began his broadcasting career in baseball, he must have discussed Mr. Tebow is Warming in the bullpen lol.

I am sure NBC announcers Al Micheals and Chris Collingsworth were counting the down to end of last night Pats butt kicking loss to Jets 48-14. I did not even both watching games as i was on phone w/ my family and had to clean up after thanksgiving dinner.

As since Micheals began his broadcasting career in baseball, he must have discussed Mr. Tebow is Warming in the bullpen lol.

Are you sure that is what happened? :lol:

*49-19

The Jets season is over

They can at least get back to 8-8 because the Jets' schedule is one of the easiest... but you also have to realize the pats are the best team in the AFC, Houston is barely getting by the bad teams (1TD away from losing to Jets, OT on both Jags + Lions...)

They can at least get back to 8-8 because the Jets' schedule is one of the easiest... but you also have to realize the pats are the best team in the AFC, Houston is barely getting by the bad teams (1TD away from losing to Jets, OT on both Jags + Lions...)

I thought the Lions would be good this year. Houston might not get far in the playoffs if they keep playing the way they do. I think the Jets only competition is San Diego, Arizona and Tennessee

The part I bolded in Shortline's post suggested that the Jets won that blowout against the Pats. That's why I questioned it, not the fact that the announcers were talking about Tebow.

mistype man lol. Everyone makes mistakes Jubaion so sorry for confusing post. :o:lol:

I thought the Lions would be good this year. Houston might not get far in the playoffs if they keep playing the way they do. I think the Jets only competition is San Diego, Arizona and Tennessee

I hope you mean & very slim chance for the #6 and last AFC wild card spot. Pats basically will win the AFCE in couple of weeks. At this point a 7-win season would be pretty good year, considering how crappy Gang Green's offense is right now.

It looks like Notre Dame could play for the BCS national championship, but what is the big deal with player number 5, Manti... He's from Hawaii

I am sure the folks at Disney/ABC & ESPN are thrilled that Notre Dame will play in the so called BCS title game. All that missing from a "dream" NCAA Football title game is Alabama next saturday 12/1/12 winning their conference title game to make a reality.

Plus an Alabama-Notre Dame Championship could not be more perfect timing than now as the NCAA is now in talks with ABC/ESPN and Fox on the tv contract for the new 4-team "mini playoff" to start after the 2014 season.

It looks like Notre Dame could play for the BCS national championship, but what is the big deal with player number 5, Manti... He's from Hawaii

His name MFS is manti te'o. He is arguably thebest defensive player in college this year and one of the finalists to win the Heisman. If so he would be the 1st Asian/Pacific-American(He of Samoan descent) to ever win it.

http://en.wikipedia..../Manti_Te'o

well, i hope ND wins the BCS, because i am sick and tired of a team from the SEC always making the BCS title game....

Well being fair, Ohio State should be playing ND in the championship game since like the Irish they also went undefeated. Yes I know about the bans for post season play this season with their violations from Jim Tressel era few years back. However IMO lets call it what t is, schools like Ohio State, Bama, ND, USC, etc are Minor League affliates for the NFL.

Even with the Buckeyes suspended, the SEC teams 'rules' NCAA Football. and Buckeyes might not been in title game without the penalties While i follow college football i really dilike the system since its the old boys network every year, i.e Alabama, LSU, the Fla. teams, Texas, etc.and the BCS has a bias towards the SEC and formentioned teams most of from the south. Keep in mind down south especially in some parts of Texas, Fla. Alabama, etc. college football is actually more popular than the NFL.

At least College Basketball has a playoff but 68 teams is way too many.

- Steelers lost to the Browns earlier on.... Did they really put the ball on the ground 8 times today & end up with eight turnovers today??? 5 lost fumbles & 3 picks? The better question is, how did the Browns only win that game by 6?

- I was watching some of that Atlanta game; Good game throughout.... Either the falcons are not good as advertised, or tampa bay aren't getting enough credit for being a good team... Then again, I think both of those statements apply.

- Right now I'm watching the Saints/Niners game..... Niners up 28-21 in the 3rd.....

lol @ San Diego giving up a first down on a game deciding 4th & 29 in their OT loss to Baltimore. This team has A LOT of improving to do if they want to get back to the postseason.

The 49ers are starting to look scary now. This is a team I wouldn't want to face in the playoffs.

Thumbs down to Pittsburgh. Cleveland only won by 6 because they aren't that good but 8 turnovers is just not acceptable at all. Pittsburgh expected to cruise to victory (even with a 3rd string QB) and just played sloppy out there. This Steelers team is not much better than the 6-5 record they currently carry.

The Giants are putting in work right now, up 31-10 at half. This is the Giants team I like to see. The NFC East is theirs for the taking.

Archived