Campaign 2012: Presidential and other election news

Shortline Bus

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether Governor Romney or President Obama is a liar or not IMO the challenger seemed to adopt the Obama positions on foreign policy when he could. It appears that the governor has no policy of his own when it comes to international affairs. It appears to me that the Republican party picked the worst possible candidate when it comes down to foreign affairs. Economic policy in the USA is dismal ,at best, in the last four years but there's plenty of blame in the US government (Congress) for both parties to share. International problems with China, Iran, Afghanistan/Pakistan, the Arab Spring, and Europe's ongoing fiscal crisis will be the major foreign policy issues going forward for the next decade or so and on that point alone I think Romney/Ryan won't cut it. Especially when you try to adopt your opponent's policy as your own.I even heard Mitt throw GW Bush under the bus about the auto bailout. This guy is trying to placate everyone lately but this only exposes how shallow he is. It's a cynical game he's playing. He's thrown the Tea Party and the neo-cons under the bus in the last few weeks. The middle class of both parties will probably be next.

@ Phantom and VG8... they're all liars.

Voice of reason on the boards,. Well said Sir.

This guy is trying to placate everyone lately but this only exposes how shallow he is. The middle class of both parties will probably be next.

@ Phantom and VG8... they're all liars.

Well I'm sorry but Mitt Romney's record as Governor speaks for himself and that says a lot. He found a way to LOWER taxes, keep the state fiscally sound and get JOBS there... Obama has made a lot of empty promises, having the government pick and choose who they want to support and not support. Gubment doesn't create jobs. Gubment is supposed to help create an environment to encourage the creation of jobs. That's where Obama seems to be confused at and worse of all he's overtaxing the small businesses in this country that help create jobs, hence why he has no response when he is slammed about how 23 million Americans are unemployed today. 4 years later and he's still blaming Bush. I mean really he's run up a deficit of 1.6 trillion since he's been in office when he promised fiscal responsibility. Is he going to blame Bush for that too?

Future NYS Tea Party chairman in Mister VG8.

LOL... I didn't know being an Independent meant I was a Tea Party supporter... :lol:

I'm just in favor of low taxes for hard working Americans, closing the loopholes in our welfare system to stop the leeches from stealing from honest Americans who don't use the system for their own personal gain and finally fiscal responsibility, something President Obama seems to have forgotten with his steal from the so called rich (aka middle class folks). I didn't know earning 250k a year made you rich... <_< And forget about how he views young single upper middle class professionals such as myself. I'm supposedly rich too. smh Take the salary of say someone who earns 80k an year and then double it for that of a couple and he would call that rich too. My friend and I both complain about how much we pay in taxes. He earns about 70 - 75k a year and recently opened a side business and with Obama's policies he has yet to be able to actually pay himself anything let alone hire more employees aside from the lone one he has currently to grow the business. With his side business, he would be a prime example of someone who would be considered rich if his small side business was generating say 250k a year.

Obviously this man has contracted a case of Romniesa....

:lol:

Well I'm sorry but Mitt Romney's record as Governor speaks for himself and that says a lot. He found a way to LOWER taxes, keep the state fiscally sound and get JOBS there... Obama has made a lot of empty promises, having the government pick and choose who they want to support and not support. Gubment doesn't create jobs. Gubment is supposed to help create an environment to encourage the creation of jobs. That's where Obama seems to be confused at and worse of all he's overtaxing the small businesses in this country that help create jobs, hence why he has no response when he is slammed about how 23 million Americans are unemployed today. 4 years later and he's still blaming Bush. I mean really he's run up a deficit of 1.6 trillion since he's been in office when he promised fiscal responsibility. Is he going to blame Bush for that too?

:lol:

Keep in mind he was Governor of Mass for only *1 term* between 2002-'06 before this recession hit. Being fair his best job IMO of his business/political career was saving the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. Romney as CEO of those games did a great job after taking over during a major corruption scandal. Thus turning those '02 games into one arguably the best run winter Olympics ever. Romney is still untested handling a major crisis like this recession.

Keep in mind he was Governor of Mass for only *1 term* between 2002-'06 before this recession hit. Being fair his best job IMO of his business/political career was saving the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. Romney as CEO of those games did a great job after taking over during a major coruption scandal and turning into one arguably the best run winter Olympics ever. Romney is still untested handling a major crisis like this recession.

Uh yeah, but Romney did it not once but TWICE. Once as governor and then again as the CEO of the games... He came into a situation as Governor with a state that was not in good shape... High debt for starters... He left office with the state having a SURPLUS AND low taxes... Obama has lowered taxes for some but still has run up 1.6 trillion in debt, none of which he can blame on Bush though he keeps trying to after he promised that he would LOWER the debt. I think their two records speak volumes... What's worse is he's run up debt and you still have 23 million Americans unemployed. He also promised to get the unemployment rate lower.... Still hovering close to 9%.... Like I said we have two records here... Romney for as much as he's been called a flip flopper has delivered the goods when talking about the economy which is what most care about now with the recession... Obama hasn't.

Uh yeah, but Romney did it not once but TWICE. Once as governor and then again as the CEO of the games... He came into a situation as Governor with a state that was not in good shape... High debt for starters... He left office with the state having a SURPLUS AND low taxes... Obama has lowered taxes for some but still has run up 1.6 trillion in debt, none of which he can blame on Bush though he keeps trying to after he promised that he would LOWER the debt. I think their two records speak volumes... What's worse is he's run up debt and you still have 23 million Americans unemployed. He also promised to get the unemployment rate lower.... Still hovering close to 9%.... Like I said we have two records here... Romney for as much as he's been called a flip flopper has delivered the goods when talking about the economy which is what most care about now with the recession... Obama hasn't.

Another thing. If i was Romney Campaign Manager i would used a hell of alot more in campaign tv ads, the great job he did as CEO of the 2002 Salt Lake City Games. Alot of voters (especially those that are not sports fans)either forgot or did not know that.

Another thing. If i was Romney Campaign Manager i would used a hell of alot more in campaign tv ads, the great job he did as CEO of the 2002 Salt Lake City Games. Alot of voters (especially those that are not sports fans)either forgot or did not know that.

I actually think he's done a good job doing that and driving home how Obama has failed. It's not so much that I don't like Obama, but rather that he has not held up to his promises. The one thing he talked about which I really liked was being tough with China. He hasn't done that. He's only helped some American manufacturers like the auto industry, but we need to be penalizing the companies heading overseas and not just talking about it. He's had 4 years to act on getting tough with China and as far as I'm concerned he hasn't. They aren't playing by the rules and have been manipulating their currency for years which is the main reason why their goods are so cheap, NOT because American manufacturing is so much more expensive.

Add to the fact that they have little to no regulation over there and it's easy to see how Chinese manufacturing would be cheaper. Quite frankly there are a lot of Americans particularly in the Mid-west who rely heavily on American manufacturing and towns have been decimated by it. These are jobs that simply won't be replaced by other industries. We're tried the same nonsense here in New York City and now we're banking on the tourist industry to carry us, which is a serious gamble. We can look at Greece as being a "model" of that if you will. The only difference perhaps is we have the financial sector here to help, but we've got to get manufacturing going here again. It's coming back slowly, but you start by actually getting tough on both China and these American companies like Apple who are making billions of dollars off of Americans' backs. I would act to impose heavy taxes on companies like Apple. Here's one of the biggest American companies in the world right now selling out America. A total disgrace and we as Americans are part of the problem too. We consumers should be taking a stand against companies like Apple and demanding that they take their profits which they get from us supporting them and do more to have more manufacturing here to support this economy instead of China's economy.

In fact maybe I'll start up my own boycott and see if others join... Oh and let's not forget about Walmart...

Edit: Romney has said that he will label China as a currency manipulator if he's elected and boy would that make my day if he did, but we can't stop there. The real issue is us being the slave to China because of our debt to them. They practically own us now and we've got to do more to restore American independence.

Shifting gears. Now the debates are over, now we are in the home stretch. Looking at political analysts/recent polls, looks like Romney has good chance to get back Fla. and Virgina for the GOP on election day says CNN chief political Reporter John King right after Monday's debate.

Thus the state of Ohio in this razor-thin close election is the 2012 version of Fla. that will decide the election. reactions?

Well I'm sorry but Mitt Romney's record as Governor speaks for himself and that says a lot. He found a way to LOWER taxes, keep the state fiscally sound and get JOBS there...

Romney's record as governor does stand, but on the wrong side. When he was governor for four years, when it came to jobs and employment, Massachusetts dropped to 47th out of 50, and he left behind a billion-dollar deficit.

Here is an excerpt from an article from October 19th of this year which broadcast Romney's run as governor:

The Senator charged that Romney failed to deliver on his promises of jobs and a balanced budget, noting that even as the national economy was growing, “We were sinking.” Spilka added, “He promised to balance budget, but he left his successor with billion dollar deficit.” Businessman Romney also left the highest debt per person of any state in the country.

The Senator is correct about the deficit Romney left in Massachusetts. Massachusetts’ long-term debt increased by 16.4 percent, or by $2.6 billion over four years. [source: Massachusetts Office Of The Treasurer] and Romney left behind a billion-dollar deficit when he left office. [source: Boston Globe, 12/30/06]

With job creation, income and wages lagging well behind the rest of the country, 222,000 residents left the state, the third-highest rate of population loss in the country. In 2007, the Boston Globe noted that under Romney, “We were one of only two states to have experienced no growth in its resident labor force.”

Here's the link: http://www.politicus...fairy-tale.html

Also, there are many more differences between handling the economy from Bain (which is now undergoing huge scrutiny due to its outsourcing to China now) and government money.

1. The budget is much bigger, and it'll make running the budget as governor look small. There is a lot more money to be printed, spent, and absorbed to factors like medicare, medicaid, the military, and so on. It's also government money, not private.

2. The two main Parties have to negotiate. Remember the theme from Obama and former president Clinton in the Democratic National Convention: cooperation.

By the way, under Obama, since the midterm elections, the Tea Party and the more brazen Republicans have repeatedly struck down on some of Obama's plans, one of them that was exemplified in Clinton's speech in this year's Democratic National Convention. If they keep striking these policies down, then how can this country continue creating opportunities for jobs in the first place?

In fact, here is what the Minority Leader of the Senate from Kentucky — Mitch McConnell — said in a conference following the 2010 midterm elections:

3. Romney has to communicate with diplomats from other countries so they can negotiate issues like trades, products, taxes, social policies like civil rights, governmental bodies like NATO and the European Union, and even more environmentally friendly ways to produce energy. If you can't negotiate with fellow diplomats from countries with extremely liberal policies and laws, then the economy is going to dip further south than the Bible Belt.

He may be a successful businessman under a private company, but working under a private corporation and handling finances for an entire country are two completely different things.

To go back to McConnell's excerpt in the press conference, what he said was incredibly damning because he called it a "top priority." Not the economy. Not bipartisanship. Keeping Obama from acquiring a second term. And he said this on behalf from the Republican minority of the Senate as well as the Republican Representatives. That's NOT how you operate a government. The general GOP has made Obama's run a living hell over the past two years because whatever he proposes, the GOP and Tea Party have made orders to cut him off as their "top priority."

And as for the debate, Obama clearly won this one. Romney tried to paint himself a "presidential" figure by being passive and soft, a measure that doomed Obama in the first debate. If there's one thing we learn, people will watch the debate, analyze their voice and behavior, and listen to its policies. Over the past two debates, Obama showed a lot about how to actually be not just a president, but a commander-in-chief, too.

For one, the social communication between the U.S. and other countries such as Israel. Now, both Obama and Netanyahu may not see each other eye to eye so much, but just because they don't here doesn't mean the U.S. and Israel aren't close allies. You heard what Obama said regarding the military drills in Israel that will take place. You even heard what both Romney and Obama said regarding Iran if they ever take action against Israel: "An attack on Israel is an attack on the U.S."

And to go back to you, Girabaldi, manufacturing here is much more expensive here, and quality does have a lot to do with it. The general quality of the material from China isn't as good there as it is here. You can feel the quality of the material between products that are made in the U.S. and those that are made in China. There's a huge contrast in feel, flexibility, and durability. You can feel the difference in quality of the product just by its touch. The better the quality, the more expensive it is. The cheaper the quality, the less expensive the product and the more they can produce at a lower cost.

But this is something that Obama and Romney have to be careful with, and we saw this in the auto industry. China and the U.S. have strong diplomatic relations, and China carries most of the debt that the U.S. has. Romney's big mistake is taking the bull by the horns, and you can't do that with China. If the U.S. cuts off too soon, then the value of the dollar plummets, and we'll be in the middle of a depression. That's how powerful China's economy is. Both Obama and Romney can be tough, but they have to handle it in piecemeal. It's a step-by-step process. The auto industry, because it was on the verge of liquidation when Obama took over the Oval Office, was the first step, and he knows that he still has to watch General Motors over so it doesn't make the same mistake again. After this, then Obama (if re-elected) could focus more on the other private sectors such as Nike and Apple.

This leads to this important fact-check. Would Romney's proposal work now? My answer is no because the economy can still swing from one side of the pendulum to the other at any moment. The government got involved to make sure GM and its front offices don't do anything sneaky or stupid.

Also, when it came to the foreign policies, Romney showed his stance in this phrase: "I agree with President Obama." I heard this too many times from him, and he's shown that he just doesn't handle foreign policy all that well. Romney looked extremely uneasy and unprepared in this final debate, which is a stark contrast in the first and even second debate. Romney did well in the first debate and actually held his own somewhat in the second despite his flubs and being caught misleading the viewers by the moderator herself. There's no way I can say the same for Romney in debate number three. In the third debate, Romney politically looked like an older Obama by agreeing with many of his policies as well as floundering some of the questions. And Obama showed it via his zingers. His best is easily (and predictably) this one from :17 to :35:

The fact that Obama mentioned this is important. Yes, the economy is an overall serious issue, but concentrating on it alone is extremely oversimplifying the matter. Each state has their own individual issues to concentrate.

Michigan and Ohio deal with manufacturing.

Iowa on green energy (as mentioned by Obama in the second debate).

Florida has a lot of retirees and transplants from countries like Cuba and Mexico, so the economy, foreign policy, and equal opportunity (a.k.a., Romney's "47%" debacle from earlier this year) matter.

Virginia, with the addition of coal energy, also focuses on the military. Here is an excerpt from the San Jose Mercury News:

The strength of the U.S. Navy is a particularly important issue in Virginia, which is home to some of the Navy's largest shipbuilding and repair operations and is one of the politically divided "swing states" likely to decide the Nov. 6 election.

Both men have campaigned intensely in Virginia, which has the highest level of defense spending of any U.S. state per capita, providing the state with about 900,000 jobs. The Hampton Roads area in southeast Virginia has the largest concentration of military bases and facilities of any metropolitan area in the world.

Virginians take their military very seriously, and this was mentioned in response to Romney's persistence to building more ships. Now, I can understand why Romney proposes this, but what Romney doesn't get is that quantity doesn't equal a quality military. Our military is much more advanced technologically now than one century ago, hence the zinger. Adding more to the mix when the military doesn't want it nor need it overwhelms the military. Remember the phrase: "too much of a good thing." Obama said it perfectly when it comes to military:

And don't forget Romney's initial foreign policy reception from overseas. He was panned for it!

To quote someone from the Huffington Post in response to the third debate:

Obama wore Mitt like a pair of warm and fuzzy slippers.

Shifting gears. Now the debates are over, now we are in the home stretch. Looking at political analysts/recent polls, looks like Romney has good chance to get back Fla. and Virgina for the GOP on election day says CNN chief political Reporter John King right after Monday's debate.

Thus the state of Ohio in this razor-thin close election is the 2012 version of Fla. that will decide the election. reactions?

Just heard on WFAN Mike Francesa had as a guest MSNBC/NBC News Chief Political Reporter Chuck Todd. Todd says if the current tie in polls is still around on election day look out for RECOUNT PART II election not decided until early-mid December.. Reactions?

Romney's record as governor does stand, but on the wrong side. When he was governor for four years, when it came to jobs and employment, Massachusetts dropped to 47th out of 50, and he left behind a billion-dollar deficit.

Here is an excerpt from an article from October 19th of this year which broadcast Romney's run as governor:

Here's the link: http://www.politicus...fairy-tale.html

Also, there are many more differences between handling the economy from Bain (which is now undergoing huge scrutiny due to its outsourcing to China now) and government money.

1. The budget is much bigger, and it'll make running the budget as governor look small. There is a lot more money to be printed, spent, and absorbed to factors like medicare, medicaid, the military, and so on. It's also government money, not private.

2. The two main Parties have to negotiate. Remember the theme from Obama and former president Clinton in the Democratic National Convention: cooperation.

By the way, under Obama, since the midterm elections, the Tea Party and the more brazen Republicans have repeatedly struck down on some of Obama's plans, one of them that was exemplified in Clinton's speech in this year's Democratic National Convention. If they keep striking these policies down, then how can this country continue creating opportunities for jobs in the first place?

In fact, here is what the Minority Leader of the Senate from Kentucky — Mitch McConnell — said in a conference following the 2010 midterm elections:

3. Romney has to communicate with diplomats from other countries so they can negotiate issues like trades, products, taxes, social policies like civil rights, governmental bodies like NATO and the European Union, and even more environmentally friendly ways to produce energy. If you can't negotiate with fellow diplomats from countries with extremely liberal policies and laws, then the economy is going to dip further south than the Bible Belt.

He may be a successful businessman under a private company, but working under a private corporation and handling finances for an entire country are two completely different things.

To go back to McConnell's excerpt in the press conference, what he said was incredibly damning because he called it a "top priority." Not the economy. Not bipartisanship. Keeping Obama from acquiring a second term. And he said this on behalf from the Republican minority of the Senate as well as the Republican Representatives. That's NOT how you operate a government. The general GOP has made Obama's run a living hell over the past two years because whatever he proposes, the GOP and Tea Party have made orders to cut him off as their "top priority."

And as for the debate, Obama clearly won this one. Romney tried to paint himself a "presidential" figure by being passive and soft, a measure that doomed Obama in the first debate. If there's one thing we learn, people will watch the debate, analyze their voice and behavior, and listen to its policies. Over the past two debates, Obama showed a lot about how to actually be not just a president, but a commander-in-chief, too.

For one, the social communication between the U.S. and other countries such as Israel. Now, both Obama and Netanyahu may not see each other eye to eye so much, but just because they don't here doesn't mean the U.S. and Israel aren't close allies. You heard what Obama said regarding the military drills in Israel that will take place. You even heard what both Romney and Obama said regarding Iran if they ever take action against Israel: "An attack on Israel is an attack on the U.S."

And to go back to you, Girabaldi, manufacturing here is much more expensive here, and quality does have a lot to do with it. The general quality of the material from China isn't as good there as it is here. You can feel the quality of the material between products that are made in the U.S. and those that are made in China. There's a huge contrast in feel, flexibility, and durability. You can feel the difference in quality of the product just by its touch. The better the quality, the more expensive it is. The cheaper the quality, the less expensive the product and the more they can produce at a lower cost.

But this is something that Obama and Romney have to be careful with, and we saw this in the auto industry. China and the U.S. have strong diplomatic relations, and China carries most of the debt that the U.S. has. Romney's big mistake is taking the bull by the horns, and you can't do that with China. If the U.S. cuts off too soon, then the value of the dollar plummets, and we'll be in the middle of a depression. That's how powerful China's economy is. Both Obama and Romney can be tough, but they have to handle it in piecemeal. It's a step-by-step process. The auto industry, because it was on the verge of liquidation when Obama took over the Oval Office, was the first step, and he knows that he still has to watch General Motors over so it doesn't make the same mistake again. After this, then Obama (if re-elected) could focus more on the other private sectors such as Nike and Apple.

This leads to this important fact-check. Would Romney's proposal work now? My answer is no because the economy can still swing from one side of the pendulum to the other at any moment. The government got involved to make sure GM and its front offices don't do anything sneaky or stupid.

Also, when it came to the foreign policies, Romney showed his stance in this phrase: "I agree with President Obama." I heard this too many times from him, and he's shown that he just doesn't handle foreign policy all that well. Romney looked extremely uneasy and unprepared in this final debate, which is a stark contrast in the first and even second debate. Romney did well in the first debate and actually held his own somewhat in the second despite his flubs and being caught misleading the viewers by the moderator herself. There's no way I can say the same for Romney in debate number three. In the third debate, Romney politically looked like an older Obama by agreeing with many of his policies as well as floundering some of the questions. And Obama showed it via his zingers. His best is easily (and predictably) this one from :17 to :35:

The fact that Obama mentioned this is important. Yes, the economy is an overall serious issue, but concentrating on it alone is extremely oversimplifying the matter. Each state has their own individual issues to concentrate.

Michigan and Ohio deal with manufacturing.

Iowa on green energy (as mentioned by Obama in the second debate).

Florida has a lot of retirees and transplants from countries like Cuba and Mexico, so the economy, foreign policy, and equal opportunity (a.k.a., Romney's "47%" debacle from earlier this year) matter.

Virginia, with the addition of coal energy, also focuses on the military. Here is an excerpt from the San Jose Mercury News:

Virginians take their military very seriously, and this was mentioned in response to Romney's persistence to building more ships. Now, I can understand why Romney proposes this, but what Romney doesn't get is that quantity doesn't equal a quality military. Our military is much more advanced technologically now than one century ago, hence the zinger. Adding more to the mix when the military doesn't want it nor need it overwhelms the military. Remember the phrase: "too much of a good thing." Obama said it perfectly when it comes to military:

And don't forget Romney's initial foreign policy reception from overseas. He was panned for it!

To quote someone from the Huffington Post in response to the third debate:

Those are some interesting quotes because it is a known fact that Mitt Romney turned the deficit of the state into a surplus. And if that is under debate, then the job he did with the Olympics is yet another example of him being capable of turning things around, which even Shortline acknowledges.

As for your comments about China, that's the whole problem... How dare we take a stand against China for the sake of our economy. They did the same crap with the European Union and the EU turned around and started enacting anti dumping laws against them and rightfully so because it's always okay for them to dump their crap on us and protect their country with protectionist laws, but when we consider doing it we're scolded. Listen, China needs us more than we need them. We buy most of the garbage they send here so without us their economy wouldn't be so hot either. They're great at copying and horrible at creating things... Just go down to Canal St and you can see that for yourself.

As for your stance about American manufacturing being so much more expensive than China's that is just bologna. I don't care what sort of materials you use, if you de-value your currency the way that China has over the years, there is almost no one who can compete with that and that's still the main problem. The notion that somehow American manufacturing can't compete with China is just ridiculous and insulting and a big cop out to justify buying goods from China when the same goods can be made right here at competitive prices and MUCH BETTER quality if we were given the chance. I really wish the American consumer would smarten up and realize this instead of just assuming that everything has to be outsourced in order for the price to be reasonable.

In fact the proof is in the fact that many American companies have moved manufacturing back to the U.S. because they could offer a product of much better quality, pay American workers fair wages and still offer competitive prices to American consumers. When you factor in the transportation costs and other costs that result in outsourcing, often times American companies LOSE profit rather than gain profit.

There are so many advantages to manufacturing here for American companies like getting turnaround times lower, getting goods to the consumers quicker, lower transportation costs, better efficiency, etc.

As for Romney agreeing with Obama, that just shows that he's reasonable, unlike Obama who using the House and Congress to ram through Obamacare, a bill that many Americans don't support or want. That's a nice way to work across party lines... SMH

Lets just elect Margaret Thatcher for president. She'd fix all the issues before any of you say "Show me your American Birth Certificate."

LMAO! :lol::lol:

--------

On a side note Tokkemon, you're a Republican right?? That's interesting since you always talk about class warfare and how you can't afford this and that. Supposedly Republicans are for rich folks...

LMAO! :lol::lol:

--------

On a side note Tokkemon, you're a Republican right?? That's interesting since you always talk about class warfare and how you can't afford this and that. Supposedly Republicans are for rich folks...

I'm a Conservative, not necessarily a Republican. But yes, I'm poor and not a Democrat. Go figure.

The quote from Mitch McConnell sums up what is wrong with this country today. Instead of pulling together as Americans to help lift this country out of a severe recession the GOP decided that making Obama a one term President was their number one priority. The sad part is too many Americans of all political stripes are too ignorant to see that fact. Basic civic lesson for those who've forgotten it , or never learned it, the POTUS can only propose legislation. It's up to Congress to pass or vote down said legislation. It's rather obvious that one political party said damn those hurting Americans across the country because they had another agenda in mind. Those American flag pins all legislators wear on their lapels are there for show. The peons who wave the flag for the Dems or Repubs are being laughed at behind closed doors for their naivete while the country still wallows in a recession. I recently saw a list of proposed jobs bills that Congress deliberated on these last few years. Guess what? They were all voted down by the House and/or Senate. So much for the rhetoric of putting Americans back to work. I believe that it was former Speaker Tip O'neill who said that all politics is local. It's still true. The infighting between your local members of Congress,countrywide, is the reason this economy has stagnated and will continue in that vein as long as the BS in Washington goes on. While the media portrays the race at the top of the ticket as the most important I think the names and party affiliation of those below Romney and Obama are the key toward America moving forward or not. If Romney wins and the congressional make-up remains relatively stable I foresee four more years of what we've just gone through, gridlock. The Dems will do exactly what the GOP did to Obama, right or wrong. I was in NC last week and an elderly lady told my Congressman that "they better get their s*** together" in DC or there would be hell to pay back home. This was an 80+ yo Native American woman talking to my Congressman (formerly my family lawyer), a Democrat, and she reeled off a litany of failures of Congress, not the President surprisingly, and she considers her family Republican but she " ain't blind". When she calmed down my mom and I told her the same thing is happening in NY, VA, FL, and CA where the rest of my family resides. People are tired of being gamed by the politicians on both sides of the aisle. The younger generation want "immediate relief" from this recession, like it's an Alka Seltzer cure, while the older folks are wise enough to know that neither Obama or Romney can provide an instant cure.

BTW, to those who credit Mr Romney's financial skills with "saving" the Salt Lake City Olympics, please go back to school and study your history. He cleaned up the scandal private businessmen left behind and garnered a surplus. The reason he hardly mentions it is because the US Government, NOT PRIVATE FUNDING, subsidized it at a cost of 1.3 billion taxpayer dollars. It would be highly hypocrital, even for him, to take credit for that yet be critical of the auto bailout. Know the facts and put aside the emotion when you tout or denigrate any candidate. Carry on.

I don't think anybody went that far with Romney and the Olympics. What was said was that he helped turn the situation around. Why not give credit when credit is due?? Not every Republican is a villain....

My point was that any politician,business person, or you and I, can portray themselves as successful, when we're using other people's money and taking no real risk. His opponents in the Republican primaries all pointed this out. They also pointed out the mistakes he made when he was governor of Massachusetts and actually had to lead a state. I don't hate most Republicans and I don't hate most Democrats either. What I do hate are politicians who try to be something they're not. Those who appear to be "serial panderers" and try to cater to those they feel are below them in life and can't see the game they're trying to run on the public. I didn't vote for George H.W. Bush but I respected him as a man and as a President. I respect John McCain as a man, likewise Richard Lugar, as men of principle whether I agree with them or not. After watching last night's debate and how Mitt basically tried to co-opt Obama's foreign policy I saw a man who would do or say anything to become President. He damn near endorsed Obama last night. He reminded me of a smarmy used car salesman trying to pitch anything in order to make that last sale of the day. He'd fit right in on a skit on SNL about a pitchman making promises about a product he has no intention on delivering. Mind you, this is not a strictly Republican or Democratic trait. They all do it to some degree but in his pivot from primary season to reach the center of the electorate he comes across as phony as a three dollar bill, at least in my opinion. If Obama comes across as aloof and out of touch at times Romney tries too hard to placate everyone in his eagerness to become president, ditching the ideas he supposedly stood for in the primaries while ditching the Tea Party and the Republican platform in the process. That's why I have no respect for him as a man. He may win this election and become President but where I come from a man's word is bond and I fail to see him believing in anything but himself. A man willing to throw the party that nominated him under the bus will never be respected by me. His primary opponents warned the electorate about him and now I can see why.He has no solid positions on anything that I can see. Carry on.

My point was that any politician,business person, or you and I, can portray themselves as successful, when we're using other people's money and taking no real risk. His opponents in the Republican primaries all pointed this out. They also pointed out the mistakes he made when he was governor of Massachusetts and actually had to lead a state. I don't hate most Republicans and I don't hate most Democrats either. What I do hate are politicians who try to be something they're not. Those who appear to be "serial panderers" and try to cater to those they feel are below them in life and can't see the game they're trying to run on the public. I didn't vote for George H.W. Bush but I respected him as a man and as a President. I respect John McCain as a man, likewise Richard Lugar, as men of principle whether I agree with them or not. After watching last night's debate and how Mitt basically tried to co-opt Obama's foreign policy I saw a man who would do or say anything to become President. He damn near endorsed Obama last night. He reminded me of a smarmy used car salesman trying to pitch anything in order to make that last sale of the day. He'd fit right in on a skit on SNL about a pitchman making promises about a product he has no intention on delivering. Mind you, this is not a strictly Republican or Democratic trait. They all do it to some degree but in his pivot from primary season to reach the center of the electorate he comes across as phony as a three dollar bill, at least in my opinion. If Obama comes across as aloof and out of touch at times Romney tries too hard to placate everyone in his eagerness to become president, ditching the ideas he supposedly stood for in the primaries while ditching the Tea Party and the Republican platform in the process. That's why I have no respect for him as a man. He may win this election and become President but where I come from a man's word is bond and I fail to see him believing in anything but himself. A man willing to throw the party that nominated him under the bus will never be respected by me. His primary opponents warned the electorate about him and now I can see why.He has no solid positions on anything that I can see. Carry on.

Quite frankly I don't see why you're so shocked by him. Mitt Romney is not a hardcore Conservative and even Republicans aren't wild about him, but the classic Republican will have a hard time winning in this country as attitudes change.He has some policies that would be considered Republican, but he's not a true Republican and that's part of the reason why he looks like a flip flopper. He's painted himself as being somewhat in the middle and that's exactly what he is. It is okay for politicians to agree with each other on some things. It may be shocking but possible.

Quite frankly I don't see why you're so shocked by him. Mitt Romney is not a hardcore Conservative and even Republicans aren't wild about him, but the classic Republican will have a hard time winning in this country as attitudes change.He has some policies that would be considered Republican, but he's not a true Republican and that's part of the reason why he looks like a flip flopper. He's painted himself as being somewhat in the middle and that's exactly what he is. It is okay for politicians to agree with each other on some things. It may be shocking but possible.

Very true. He (meaning of course Romney) an old school Einsenhower/Nelson Rockfeller/Tom Kain "moderate" Republican trying to look semi "conservative." If Romney loses this election, he probably be the last of "Moderate" GOP'ers to be selected as a party Nomiee for many years to come IMO.

With that said, Trainmaster makes some good points though. Voters like myself who are 'moderates' (back in day i used to be a Democratic voter in my teens/early 20's including voting for Bill Clinton until they gotten way too liberal in a party Nancy Pelosi is one of the leaders in recent years and thus i am now an non-partisan "independent")are actually the majority voting block in this country contray to what most of the hosts at MSNBC or Rush may say lol.

Still I am not happy with Obama as a College grad about to leave the teaching field with his unrealstic promises in 2008 he made. In '08, if the President just stated a realstic goal of some baby steps in job growth he would be in a big lead right now. At same time I am not thrilled with Romney either. Thus why this election is so close and will be until November 6.

Still I am not happy with Obama as a College grad about to leave the teaching field with his unrealstic promises in 2008 he made. In '08, if the President just stated a realstic goal of some baby steps in job growth he would be in a big lead right now. At same time I am not thrilled with Romney either. Thus why this election is so close and will be until November 6.

Baby steps don't get people elected.

Baby steps don't get people elected.

In this era of "results now" you right Tokkemon. While this has been a terrible great global recession (the current one that started in 2007) Obama in last campaign did make some unrealstic goals. Back in day in mid 1930's Franklin Roosevelt never made promises for the "depression" to be over by end of his 1st term either. FDR won a blowout re-election in 1936 with these not so big goals.

In this era of "results now" you right Tokkemon. While this has been a terrible great global recession (the current one that started in 2007) Obama in last campaign did make some unrealstic goals. Back in day in mid 1930's Franklin Roosevelt never made promises for the "depression" to be over by end of his 1st term either. FDR won a blowout re-election in 1936 with these not so big goals.

That alone is why I don't see why folks think Obama is so great. It isn't that Romney is either, but Obama had 4 years to make some moves. He keeps talking about infrastructure for example, just as he did in his last campaign and all I hear is talk overall and very little action. We need results in this country, not hot air. Aside from spending a ton to save the auto industry, I really don't see how he ran up 1.6 trillion dollars in debt when we still have 23 million Americans unemployed. Seems like no one has anything to say about that though. I don't care what party a President is a part of, that is not acceptable and he shouldn't get a pass just because he's a Democrat, which automatically to some makes folks think that they're looking out for their best interest. Not necessarily the case. Romney IMO is much better than say John McCain who pretty much admitted that he didn't have a clue about the economy. :lol:

Archived