NJ Transit New 48 Route

Mikan Wilhelm

I still think the 62 should of had service that is one leg Airport only, one leg Perth Amboy. For example, in 2006, the 86 used to be two legs: 86 Union City HBLR, and 86P North Bergen 91st Street Nunguessers via Park Avenue.

I thought they might do 62 - Newark Airport, 62E - Elizabeth via Newark Airport, 62W - Woodbridge Mall via Newark Airport and 62P - Perth Amboy via Newark Airport.

Also, if there was a big need for service, they might have thought of a 62X service, where it bypasses the airport and services people going to Elizabeth, Woodbridge, and Perth Amboy, almost make it similar to a GO62 service, where people can get to and from work easier during the rush hour, a la GO25.

I guess not.

Well the 62 already has runs that are only newark-EWR-eliz. Also no matter where the 62 terminates it always stopped at EWR so they wouldnt need to do that(letter after #). If you ever see a 62 going south SRO a majority of those ppl are going to the EWR few rarely ride past it..when it arrives in eliz and its SRO a majority got on at EWR so a 62 that bypasses EWR just wouldnt work. Any bus with ppl going to mall or perth amboy down packed picked a majority of those riders between broad and jersey and RR crossing in eliz

1- cool...

2 & 4 - I'm just asking why you decided to have one split not serve the airport ? Surely you have a reason for (thinking of) doing so....

3- ok, I guess...

Well Since some 62s serve the airport. So I would make those bypass EWR. Well I guess any 62 to Perth Amboy should be numbered 62 and all trips to go via EWR and all buses going to Woodbridge numbered 48 and either skip or go through the airport based on the current 62 schedule

I thought they might do 62 - Newark Airport, 62E - Elizabeth via Newark Airport, 62W - Woodbridge Mall via Newark Airport and 62P - Perth Amboy via Newark Airport.

That's no different from how the route used to be; all you'd be doing is assigning route suffixes for the different route patterns it had.....

Well the 62 already has runs that are only newark-EWR-eliz. Also no matter where the 62 terminates it always stopped at EWR so they wouldnt need to do that(letter after #).

If you ever see a 62 going south SRO a majority of those ppl are going to the EWR few rarely ride past it..when it arrives in eliz and its SRO a majority got on at EWR so a 62 that bypasses EWR just wouldnt work. Any bus with ppl going to mall or perth amboy down packed picked a majority of those riders between broad and jersey and RR crossing in eliz

I was gonna make a similar post mentioning the riding patterns on the 62 (to Q23)...... You're spot on with this.

As for buses heading northbound, riders embarking in perth amboy generally don't ride past rahway.... riders embarking at woodbridge mall tend to either take buses to Metropark, or ride it out as far north to Elizabeth.... The riders that would ride it through to the airport or downtown newark generally came from as far south as colonia or carteret [depending on which spur] (of the ones that didn't xfer for the RR at Rahway, that is).... The amt. of usage the 62 got w/i carteret & woodbridge twp justified running buses all the way down to perth amboy.... Otherwise, you wouldn't need the 62 running all the way to perth amboy from newark......

That's no different from how the route used to be; all you'd be doing is assigning route suffixes for the different route patterns it had.....

I was gonna make a similar post mentioning the riding patterns on the 62 (to Q23)...... You're spot on with this.

As for buses heading northbound, riders embarking in perth amboy generally don't ride past rahway.... riders embarking at woodbridge mall tend to either take buses to Metropark, or ride it out as far north to Elizabeth.... The riders that would ride it through to the airport or downtown newark generally came from as far south as colonia or carteret [depending on which spur] (of the ones that didn't xfer for the RR at Rahway, that is).... The amt. of usage the 62 got w/i carteret & woodbridge twp justified running buses all the way down to perth amboy.... Otherwise, you wouldn't need the 62 running all the way to perth amboy from newark......

True the service patterns and frequencies of this 48 and the old 62 trips past Elizabeth is almost identical

Now that I see the old 62 schedule, couldn't the old 62 use MCI buses instead of NABI buses

Its pointless. Once the 62 goes past Elizabeth it hardly gets packed. I rather have Metro Ds (RIP) than CRAPIs or MCIs on that route.

Well lets just hope in the next 15 years or so when they replace the Nabi's they pick something better.

With what I hear and see NJT seems unable to replace theirs buses until almost 20 years pass. The metro d that the nabis replaced were 19+ y/o so were the bendys before the current neoplans not too sure about MCIs

Also form what I heard from co-workers the demo bus that was sent listening to their descriptions was the 45c (i think thats the name) which Ive read as being a damn solid bus but NJT ended up buying whatever this model is. I envy hilton and orange who can actully end up in a rts

With what I hear and see NJT seems unable to replace theirs buses until almost 20 years pass. The metro d that the nabis replaced were 19+ y/o so were the bendys before the current neoplans not too sure about MCIs

Also form what I heard from co-workers the demo bus that was sent listening to their descriptions was the 45c (i think thats the name) which Ive read as being a damn solid bus but NJT ended up buying whatever this model is. I envy hilton and orange who can actully end up in a rts

why what limits NJT's ability to get new buses like everyone else?

why what limits NJT's ability to get new buses like everyone else?

No clue whatsoever, could be cheapness, could be lack of care for local routes (but then again they are letting designline make motorcoches for them I dont care if they were the lowest builder this isnt the time to be dealing with a company which from their website looks like they are making their first motorcoch for the us the us at least) or something else entirely. All I can say is I wont be surprised if these things are still on the road YEARS after the MTA replaces its entire fleet again in 15 years

Money, Money, and Money....that and Fuel, I'll bet. Gas is going up up up, this NJT needs vehicles that will give the best miles to the gallon while also getting the cheapest bus. Think about it, NJT would of LOVED to get MCI, but their bid price was too high, thus enter Designline. To be honest, I'm surprised that in the 4 years since NABI was introduced to NJT, that they have survived so far even though the first models had panels coming down, engine fires, and etc.

Money, Money, and Money....that and Fuel, I'll bet. Gas is going up up up, this NJT needs vehicles that will give the best miles to the gallon while also getting the cheapest bus. Think about it, NJT would of LOVED to get MCI, but their bid price was too high, thus enter Designline. To be honest, I'm surprised that in the 4 years since NABI was introduced to NJT, that they have survived so far even though the first models had panels coming down, engine fires, and etc.

Top notch maintainence I suppose?

The bid price being too high I get I do but still to go with company thats (correct me if Im wrong) has never made motorcoaches. Its not even like its surburban versions of typical rigids but motorcoaches. As for fuel cant bio-diesel be a preferrable alternative price wise at least. From what I read tho it was years ago there is no mods needed you can add bio and go this assuming they dont alredy use the stuff or thought of it but found it not to be possible

• 2 months later...

Horrible decision by NJT. Both busses 62 and 48 suppose to connect both ways but it doesnt. Evening is horrible, its suppose to be one Woodbridege then the Carteret....more times than NOT two 48 Woodbridge comes along which means people going to Carteret/Perth Amboy are out waiting for hours. They should have left the 62 alone. If the rail passes werent so expensive I think more people would ride the train to get to Newark. HORRIBLE! Everyone complains in the mornings when the Supervisor is out viewing the route. We have also complained and they are sending a Supervisor in the evenings to view whats going on.

Horrible decision by NJT. Both busses 62 and 48 suppose to connect both ways but it doesnt. Evening is horrible, its suppose to be one Woodbridege then the Carteret....more times than NOT two 48 Woodbridge comes along which means people going to Carteret/Perth Amboy are out waiting for hours. They should have left the 62 alone. If the rail passes werent so expensive I think more people would ride the train to get to Newark. HORRIBLE! Everyone complains in the mornings when the Supervisor is out viewing the route. We have also complained and they are sending a Supervisor in the evenings to view whats going on.

Wrong the rail pass is the same cost as a bus pass for zone 5 and higher. So Former 62 riders should get a zone 6 rail pass which works on all buses and trains. It will cost the same as 6 zone bus pass I know I looked at the fare charts.

Monthly is $116

Archived