NJ Transit New 48 Route

Mikan Wilhelm

Yesterday i noticed this on a paper on the bus taking about the new schedule changes for September 1st

The New 48 is of course the "Splitting the 62"

The 48 starts at Broad st at Jersey st in elizabeth going to Perth Amboy,WoodBridge and areas in between

The 48 Schedule

http://www.njtransit...f/bus/T0048.pdf

The 62 will now operate from Newark Penn Station via Newark Airport and Ikea to Broad st At Jersey St and back

The new 62 schedule

http://www.njtransit...oming/T0062.pdf

knew they'd split the route at elizabeth...... good thing I got to ride the [old] 62 two weeks ago from NWK-penn to perth amboy when I did.....

IMO, they should've had the split route (the new 62) serve jersey gardens though....

Wait, isn't Jersey Avenue & Broad Street near IKEA? (That's where both routes will end)

Wait, isn't Jersey Avenue & Broad Street near IKEA? (That's where both routes will end)

nah.... jersey & broad is about 2-3 blocks from the RR station..... the ikea & jg is on the other side of the highway.....

What I was saying/suggesting was that the new 62 should serve the ikea & JG

Perfect all just as planed hush hush

Don't make it seem as if you were the savior of this idea because we all know you're not....

nah.... jersey & broad is about 2-3 blocks from the RR station..... the ikea & jg is on the other side of the highway.....

I agree, the 40 takes a beating from customers leaving JG, going there is a different story. When i was fanning the 40 before the flxibles retired, going there was pretty empty...but leaving.....it was a pain the ass! It was like 111 with a 40ft MCI status!

The guys behind the making and breaking of routes say that this was done buzz the ridership for the airport leg of the 62 is increasing along with complaints of the 62 being late (mainly bcuz the go28 doesn't do their job like they are supposed to and what's more upsetting is that it was formed from runs n trippers of the 62 but given to orange) and also bcuz (and I've experience this too many time) the 62 that should be the lead bus going into Newark is late to airport so u the next one gets to terminal c and is then crushed by everyone going home....and also bcuz they say that not too many ppl that get on Newark really ride past Elizabeth as well as ppl coming from mall and Perth amboy......here's the thing they admitted the 62 48 thing is rushed very rushed so there are trips on the 62 where riders that need past broad and jersey will have to be booted off so we can spin around the block change signs to 48 pick them back up n continue route. I felt that if that was the case why not number 62 like 13 with letters after route # to give ppl idea where your going like 62P if Perth amboy etc until they completely separate the routes

Heres how I would split the 62 and 48.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?authuser=0&msa=19&msid=204750700533050976010.0004c78d724cb32040d48

Notes:

48 is not on the map yet, I will eventually put it on the map

Modification of bus route in the Perth Amboy Area as well as certain other areas along the 62/48 route

48 will not serve Newark Airport, the 62 would

62/48 will both serve ikea

48 will take a different routing in Elizabeth than the 62

Heres how I would split the 62 and 48.

https://maps.google....8d724cb32040d48

Notes:

48 is not on the map yet, I will eventually put it on the map

Modification of bus route in the Perth Amboy Area as well as certain other areas along the 62/48 route

48 will not serve Newark Airport, the 62 would

62/48 will both serve ikea

48 will take a different routing in Elizabeth than the 62

Why do you have buses encircling woodbridge mall like that? you do know there's a bus stop on mall property right....

Regardless, I don't agree w/ the way you're splitting service here.....

- So carteret gets direct EWR service & Colonia doesn't ? Why's that......

I mean, it's rather wasteful to have one split out of newark-penn running alongside the airport, when the 24 already takes ppl from nwk. penn to elizabeth (of those that dont want to loop around the airport).....

- The 815 already provides service b/w Perth Amboy & Woodbridge mall... you're adding unnecessary mileage to your "48" for no real reason....

- with this new 48 or whatever, it makes it all the more easier for NJT to justify keeping old 62 service levels the same for both colonia & carteret - and it has patrons from either those areas, as well as rahway patrons, xferring @ elizabeth for a bus to the airport (or for the 24 if they don't want to run through the airport... that's a common xfer btw)..... with your splits, the rahway folks that miss your "62" that need the airport is gonna have to wait about twice as long for a bus along st. georges or w/e, instead of taking the first bus that comes & xferring over to the (real, new) 62..... unless you plan on overserving colonia & carteret to keep rahway & elizabeth folks satisfied.....

Oh, I see.

I see you mentioned the 24 in a post above. When did that route start operating? It seems like a fairly new one. (Then again, that would mean Elizabethport wouldn't have any bus service) Does it accept regular NJT passes/transfers?

Oh, I see.

I see you mentioned the 24 in a post above. When did that route start operating? It seems like a fairly new one. (Then again, that would mean Elizabethport wouldn't have any bus service) Does it accept regular NJT passes/transfers?

Don't know when it started operating, but it's not new..... It's just that doug & adrienne recently added the C-USA ONE (Orange-Newark-Elizabeth) bus routes on it's maps (#24, #31, #44).... and yep, they accept NJT xfers & passes....

Why do you have buses encircling woodbridge mall like that? you do know there's a bus stop on mall property right....

Regardless, I don't agree w/ the way you're splitting service here.....

- So carteret gets direct EWR service & Colonia doesn't ? Why's that......

I mean, it's rather wasteful to have one split out of newark-penn running alongside the airport, when the 24 already takes ppl from nwk. penn to elizabeth (of those that dont want to loop around the airport).....

- The 815 already provides service b/w Perth Amboy & Woodbridge mall... you're adding unnecessary mileage to your "48" for no real reason....

- with this new 48 or whatever, it makes it all the more easier for NJT to justify keeping old 62 service levels the same for both colonia & carteret - and it has patrons from either those areas, as well as rahway patrons, xferring @ elizabeth for a bus to the airport (or for the 24 if they don't want to run through the airport... that's a common xfer btw)..... with your splits, the rahway folks that miss your "62" that need the airport is gonna have to wait about twice as long for a bus along st. georges or w/e, instead of taking the first bus that comes & xferring over to the (real, new) 62..... unless you plan on overserving colonia & carteret to keep rahway & elizabeth folks satisfied.....

1. Well I didnt do it on purpose, I still dont know why it's like that, I'll fix

2. So I should make the 48 as well EWR, is that what youre telling me?

3. There are some part time trips that go to Perth Amboy, thats why its there. From Woodbridge on it's a part time service.

4. Well in that case There could possibly be short-turns in rahway or make the 48 go around the airport

1. Well I didnt do it on purpose, I still dont know why it's like that, I'll fix

3. There are some part time trips that go to Perth Amboy, thats why its there. From Woodbridge on it's a part time service.

4. Well in that case There could possibly be short-turns in rahway or make the 48 go around the airport

So what is the purpose of splitting the route if you want the 48 to service the airport?? This couldve been done if they made the 62 skip the airport on select trips

1- cool...

2 & 4 - I'm just asking why you decided to have one split not serve the airport ? Surely you have a reason for (thinking of) doing so....

3- ok, I guess...

I still think the 62 should of had service that is one leg Airport only, one leg Perth Amboy. For example, in 2006, the 86 used to be two legs: 86 Union City HBLR, and 86P North Bergen 91st Street Nunguessers via Park Avenue.

I thought they might do 62 - Newark Airport, 62E - Elizabeth via Newark Airport, 62W - Woodbridge Mall via Newark Airport and 62P - Perth Amboy via Newark Airport.

Also, if there was a big need for service, they might have thought of a 62X service, where it bypasses the airport and services people going to Elizabeth, Woodbridge, and Perth Amboy, almost make it similar to a GO62 service, where people can get to and from work easier during the rush hour, a la GO25.

I guess not.

Archived