Station agent list established

primomjr78

Yeah at night most people you'll encounter are either begging for a ride or just fare beating. Either way I be in my own world until about 0430 when people with jobs start to ride the system. Some places by 6am you're in full work mode. I try to work mostly 9pm-5am or 10pm-6am jobs. With recent booth hour changes they now have some booths with 1am-9am hours, and they're always open because no one likes those hours. And you'll work very hard, due to being there the entire rush hours (5am-9am). I ran into a brand new agent the other day and the assigned him 68th st hunter college. That station is extremely busy. I stayed an extra hour after he relieved me to school him on the job. I remember when an old timer helped me so it felt good passing on advice.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that’s nice of you, sticking around like that. coworkers are such a hit or miss thing - sometimes you get good ones, sometimes awful. like bosses.
do you work overnight because you’re new or because you prefer it? me, I prefer it, don’t have much trouble staying awake. interesting there is so much variance in the third shift hours, 9pm-5am, 10pm-6am, etc. is that a new thing? the hotel industry is standard wherever you go, 3rd shift is almost always11pm-7am. works for me.

I picked nights because I prefer it. I always switch up between PM's and night tours every other pick. And no booth hours have always been different, because police used to be present during your relief process and booths were given certain to accommodate this protocol. And usually a booth with say 9-5 hours meant it was a booth the got busy early and they wanted relief process to be finished before it got busy. Now it seems like they don't care about that any longer. Because most booths that had 9-5 hours got changed to 12-8 or 1-9's.

Make room in the fish tank....I got sworn in today! I've never had a job that required me to take an oath before, and the only work-related swearing I've ever done is usually under my breath. I feel like I just joined the world's unhippest gang, or something. :P

Class starts 2/11. I can't wait!

Congrats on getting the job. If you ever have any questions during school don't hesitate to ask here or inbox me. Maybe it maybe be better to ask here just in case others have the same questions I only have to answer them once instead of a few times. But be prepared to see New Yorkers in a totally different light. This job ain't the easiest or the hardest, but it can be stressful at times. We have some really good co-workers that will help you out if you need assistance. But we also have some bad ones as well. Best advice is to always be on time for work and rarely call out after you've completed probation. But don't call out while a probie unless you're damn near dying. It would be better to show up to work sick and leave and accept medical assistance when doing so. And always make sure you take your time during transactions. These folks will try and rush you because the train is there or they've been waiting in line for more than three seconds lol. But you're reasonable for every penny in that booth and must replace any shortages, so don't let them cause you to make mistakes. Well that's all I've got right now Talk to you later.

Thanks Will!

Actually, I do have a question: Obviously, banging out is a major sin for S/As, and rightfully so, considering that some poor sucker will now be forced to work a double in your stead. How accommodating is the MTA with regards to scheduled absences? I mean, if I submitted a request a week in advance to take Good Friday off for religious reasons will I get hassled about it?

Congrats on getting the job. If you ever have any questions during school don't hesitate to ask here or inbox me. Maybe it maybe be better to ask here just in case others have the same questions I only have to answer them once instead of a few times. But be prepared to see New Yorkers in a totally different light. This job ain't the easiest or the hardest, but it can be stressful at times. We have some really good co-workers that will help you out if you need assistance. But we also have some bad ones as well. Best advice is to always be on time for work and rarely call out after you've completed probation. But don't call out while a probie unless you're damn near dying. It would be better to show up to work sick and leave and accept medical assistance when doing so. And always make sure you take your time during transactions. These folks will try and rush you because the train is there or they've been waiting in line for more than three seconds lol. But you're reasonable for every penny in that booth and must replace any shortages, so don't let them cause you to make mistakes. Well that's all I've got right now Talk to you later.

My opinion of my fellow New Yorkers was shattered long ago. Trust me, working in a hospital as an HCI was no bargain either. I was required to conduct in-depth interviews with patients in the emergency room where I would frequently get coughed & sneezed on. I also once accidentally stepped in the urine-filled bedpan of a sick old woman who had a chronic kidney infection. I was also required to interview psych patients as well. At least as an S/A I'll have a layer of thick glass to serve as a buffer against germs, infected bodily fluids, and lunatics. :)

New S/A class starts on February 11th. Did any of you guys in this thread get called for it?

Yeah, I did.  I report to 130 Livingston on 2/11 & 2/12. After that, it's off to PS 248, which is great because I live within walking distance of the school.

Thanks Will!

Actually, I do have a question: Obviously, banging out is a major sin for S/As, and rightfully so, considering that some poor sucker will now be forced to work a double in your stead. How accommodating is the MTA with regards to scheduled absences? I mean, if I submitted a request a week in advance to take Good Friday off for religious reasons will I get hassled about it?

Thanks Will!

These are called AVA days.  You have to work on a Federal holiday and save it to get a day off in the future.  You have to remember that many other people are trying to get off for religious days and there are only a limited amount of people can get them off, and that goes< I think, by when they are received.

By the way, yours truly sent in a regular email to get the booth hours changed to put the Lunch Relief schedules in some kind of order instead of jumping back and forth in no order at all.

Also, goodbye to weekends or holidays off. Hello to vaction relief jobs where you have no idea your hours or days off or which borough you will be working in until they tell you days before.  Or you'll be extra, where you don't know where or what hours you'll work from day to day until the middle of your tour.

And good luck coming out with the FARE INCREASE and 1.00 new card fee. 

Really, try to work nights when you come out if possible.

;'

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to both of you guys. Sorry I did'nt respond earlier, I've been on vacation since the thursday before last. But how was your first week of class and what did they cover. Also did they assign you your booth observation yet? I can't remember if it's at the end of the first ot second week do you have to do your observation.

And pretty much as brokecrazy mentioned you'll be extra out the gate. When i started my entire class was thrown into am zone2 extra regardless of where your home station was. I had to do that for three months straight. And when the pick did come around my class was last to pick on the last day, at the last hour. And i was the second to last to pick in my class. And I got stuck with the last vacation relief job. So as you can imagine i worked in every corner of the city.

But as always if any of you new hires have questions don't hesitate to pm me. Once again congrats and welcome aboard.

Hi everyone, last certified is 787, last appointed is 165 as of Feb 24th, according to DCAS dcas update... now that my list number is included under the certified list.. what does that mean ? Does it mean they will be sending me a letter of offer for SA soon ? Please clarify... thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, last certified is 787, last appointed is 165 as of Feb 24th, according to DCAS dcas update... now that my list number is included under the certified list.. what does that mean ? Does it mean they will be sending me a letter of offer for SA soon ? Please clarify... thanks in advance.

What range is your list number in? And yes your name has been sent to TA for future consideration for pre-employment. But the way this list is moving and the way TA is trying to broadband the tit;e of S/A, I wouldn't expect them to go that far up the list. The most I could see them calling up to maybe 80-1000, but more realistically I'd say up to 500-700. But I could be wrong about this. But in any event good luck with the process.

Oh thx Willbx, my list number# is in the 640`s . Im one of the many that took the cleaner position and waiting to be to be called... last month when I called dcas automated system it said I was on an outstanding certification. Now it says youre not currently on an outstanding certification. Although, they've now certified a number beyond mines. So I was concern about the difference. ..

Oh thx Willbx, my list number# is in the 640`s . Im one of the many that took the cleaner position and waiting to be to be called... last month when I called dcas automated system it said I was on an outstanding certification. Now it says youre not currently on an outstanding certification. Although, they've now certified a number beyond mines. So I was concern about the difference. ..

All this means is that dcas sent your number to the mta . It doesn't mean anything else . You may or may not get called . It all depends on the needs of the mta .

Well you're already working down here so just be a bit more patient. It could still be much time before they reach your number. Did you take the supervsors exam this past saturday? I've heard from a reiable sorce at 2 broadway they're going to certify this test's list by june or july this year and start calling people by october. So that will open up plenty of S/A jobs and a lot of retirements are happeming thus year. I know 20 people retireing by the end of this year. It's too bad you didn't take the 2004 exam, because from 2005-2008 they were hiring classes of 20 people every two weeks for that time period. But back then there was a lot more jobs. Now terminal stations have one full time booth and maybe a part time booth. The only station to still have 2 full time booths is times square. And there is no more stations with north and southbound booths. It's either north or south depending on the peak direction.

Well you're already working down here so just be a bit more patient. It could still be much time before they reach your number. Did you take the supervsors exam this past saturday? I've heard from a reiable sorce at 2 broadway they're going to certify this test's list by june or july this year and start calling people by october. So that will open up plenty of S/A jobs and a lot of retirements are happeming thus year. I know 20 people retireing by the end of this year. It's too bad you didn't take the 2004 exam, because from 2005-2008 they were hiring classes of 20 people every two weeks for that time period. But back then there was a lot more jobs. Now terminal stations have one full time booth and maybe a part time booth. The only station to still have 2 full time booths is times square. And there is no more stations with north and southbound booths. It's either north or south depending on the peak direction.

Yes Willbx, I did take the Supervisor's test last weekend but I only have a year and two months in the system. So if I get called this year or even next year I would'nt be able to except because I wouldn't have the 3 years experience requirement. So I guess I just hope that sufficient SA retire and advance so I can get a shot at that title for now... thanks to all you guys for the time you take to respond and clarify on questions. It really helps and gives me the encouragement to keep going...

Lol ! Im a girl, however I do have one more question that you may or maybe be able to shed some light. I heard rumors of this cta pick lasting only 6 months because mta is behind by 1. For example when its an even year we pick twice and an odd year we pick once, theyre saying on one even year we only picked once instead of twice. Have you heard anything about this ?

Oh sorry ma'am. But to answer question is not so straight forward. TA decides on pick dates and gives the books to the union for approval. Depending on that process determines when ad how often you'll pick. But we aways pick at least twice. A year. Sometimes more, and only a few times was it once.

Oh sorry ma'am. But to answer question is not so straight forward. TA decides on pick dates and gives the books to the union for approval. Depending on that process determines when ad how often you'll pick. But we aways pick at least twice. A year. Sometimes more, and only a few times was it once.

Archived