Amtrak unused trackway

kingal11234

I heard that Amtrak runs in the Bronx somewhere where there are 6 tracks but only two are in service. So Im wondering; first where does it run in the Bx, and if there are unused tracks could they be used for passenger service? Please give me some feedback

Did you really put this in the subway section? Some people...

(1)--i just want to say that you got this in wrong forum. there is one for amtrak.

(2)-- The two track that are being used in Bronx is for Northeast Corridor.(Boston or point north to NY Penn)

(3)--- Not sure about other tracks.

Don't use subway bullets to state a point.

I'll answer it then..........

1. While this is the incorrect forum, the Amtrak Northeast Corridor (Hell Gate Line) runs from Port Morris to Pelham Bay Park (Continues north to Westchester and above / Randall's Island & Points South). You should use Google Map for a better explanation..

2.. There are actually 3 tracks along the Corridor, a 4th one around, but 2 are used for Amtrak (w/Catenary), other is non-electric which is owned by CSX and used for freight. There is also some unused track space reserved for for additional tracks, maintenance or whatever...

3... The unused spaces (IF used) is for planned extension of the New Haven Line to run down the Corridor to NYP. WITH the added planned Stations (Co-Op, Morris Park, Parkchester, Hunts Point). But this plan MAY go when ever ESA is done, and select LIRR trains go into GCT. But of course, if space is available in Penn. Some NHL trains would go down there. (Plus adding some Hudson Line via the Amtrak Empire/Freedom Tunnel Line, which would add 125th / Upper West Side... But thats something else...)

Yes, someone already pointed that out, about 30 minutes before you.

Is there really a rule prohibiting someone from doing that? Some people, really boggles me.

Though this was the wrong forum, at least someone answered the guy rather then repeating bashing of comments.

I heard that Amtrak runs in the Bronx somewhere where there are 6 tracks but only two are in service. So Im wondering; first where does it run in the Bx, and if there are unused tracks could they be used for passenger service? Please give me some feedback

This is an old track map from http://www.nyandw.com/routemap.htm. As you can see, that part could fit up to 6 tracks. As far as I'm aware, from looking at Google Earth and from Richard E. Greene's MNRR track map, it's not 6 tracks. It's 3 to 4 tracks, and only 2 are used for Amtrak.

There is space for the extra tracks, but I don't know the exact plan if Metro-North were to run through it.

harlem1.gif

Yeah its only space for four tracks almost end to end (except in that yard area along the Bruckner), I live a block from it and hear whenever the freight goes through. Few years ago one of the tracks was removed and now its a staging area for future work. If MNR ever got into the area, I assume it will swell to four tracks... This is where the logistics issues come in.

(1)--i just want to say that you got this in wrong forum. there is one for amtrak.

(2)-- The two track that are being used in Bronx is for Northeast Corridor.(Boston or point north to NY Penn)

(3)--- Not sure about other tracks.

I'll answer it then..........

1. While this is the incorrect forum, the Amtrak Northeast Corridor (Hell Gate Line) runs from Port Morris to Pelham Bay Park (Continues north to Westchester and above / Randall's Island & Points South). You should use Google Map for a better explanation..

2.. There are actually 3 tracks along the Corridor, a 4th one around, but 2 are used for Amtrak (w/Catenary), other is non-electric which is owned by CSX and used for freight. There is also some unused track space reserved for for additional tracks, maintenance or whatever...

3... The unused spaces (IF used) is for planned extension of the New Haven Line to run down the Corridor to NYP. WITH the added planned Stations (Co-Op, Morris Park, Parkchester, Hunts Point). But this plan MAY go when ever ESA is done, and select LIRR trains go into GCT. But of course, if space is available in Penn. Some NHL trains would go down there. (Plus adding some Hudson Line via the Amtrak Empire/Freedom Tunnel Line, which would add 125th / Upper West Side... But thats something else...)

In case people don't understand I put this in the subway forum because I read that there was space along the line for 6 tracks, and I was wondering if these trackbeds could be used for a subway connection (like the extension of the 2nd ave Subway or Tribroro Rx).

by federal law, a subway line would not be able to share a right of way with a railroad line without a large scale devider seperating the property.

I don't really see the problem. In Philly(?, Patco) and in Amsterdam, The Netherlands there is no large scale devider seperating the subway and railroad tracks. And at least in Amsterdam there's never been an accident because of that.

Dont forget folk each tunnel is different. if a MNRR was going to fast and switch over to the subway, they would crash at the entrance to the tunnel. Also each trains have different sizes to handle curves in the track as well.

Kamen Rider

Track Gauge:

(distance between rails) is 4 feet 8.5 inches, the same as that of major American railroads. You should wrote that subway and rail cannot cross each other due to rails cars sizes to accommodate curves and tunnel width and height.

Dont forget folk each tunnel is different. if a MNRR was going to fast and switch over to the subway, they would crash at the entrance to the tunnel. Also each trains have different sizes to handle curves in the track as well.

Kamen Rider

Track Gauge:

(distance between rails) is 4 feet 8.5 inches, the same as that of major American railroads. You should wrote that subway and rail cannot cross each other due to rails cars sizes to accommodate curves and tunnel width and height.

nothing you said makes any sense.

Kamen Rider

Track Gauge:

Don't get where your on about, but I don't think they would crash. Its not like switching at Junction will be direct, with a tight switching curve requiring the train to slow down (like the subway). The railroad train switches to another track, where by your not feeling the switch over at fast speed. If it were that dangerous, then you wouldn't see "Subway Like" routes near a RR (such as PATH, WMATA Metro, etc..)

The Subway should be safe to run on the Corridor, however, this won't be happening at all. Metro-North is set for that, and its a great idea. Plus won't require building even more tunnels (besides the planned ones for the SAS). You already got existing ROW for that.

Archived