Manhattan Cyclist Shocked To Discover Bike Violation Could Result In Driver

mark1447

Manhattan Cyclist Shocked To Discover Bike Violation Could Result In Driver’s License Points

Should a ticket you get while riding a bike translate into points on your driver’s license?

One Manhattan man says absolutely not, but that’s the punishment he is facing.

The loop at Central Park is a popular destination for walkers, joggers and bikers. Last month, one avid cyclist was ticketed by police for failing to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk there.

The Manhattan resident, who wanted to remain anonymous, insisted that he is innocent, but said he was shocked to learn that if he’s found guilty, his punishment could include a $130 fine and three points on his driver’s license.

“So I guess when it got put into the DMV system, all that happens is that they associate license with a violation. A violation is one that typically has 3 points associated with it and so that’s what it shows up with on my record,” the cyclist told CBS 2′s Elise Finch.

His story first appeared on the Gothamist website and has prompted a lot of discussion.

“I don’t think it’s fair at all,” Queens resident Daniel Mateo said.

“They can fine you. I agree with that because if you’re going to put somebody’s life in danger, there should be a penalty for that, but it shouldn’t carry over to your license,” Brooklyn resident Daniel Aragon said.

“That’s not fair because people who commit the crimes and don’t drive — what happens to them?” said Lorna Weiner.

Technically, they can be arrested.

Attorney and cycling enthusiast Steve Vaccaro said bike violations in New York state are never supposed to result in penalties on a driver’s license. It happens because some law enforcement officers don’t fully understand bike rules.

“I think what we have here is a case where someone just didn’t know the rule. We’ve actually had to go and pursue an appeal to the appellate board of the Department of Motor Vehicles in Albany to get them to reverse the points,” said Vaccaro, who is with the Law Office of Rankin & Taylor.

The cyclist with the bike case currently pending pleaded not guilty and will have his day in traffic court this November.

Bike advocates said the summons form police officers fill out was created for cars, not bikes, so it’s easy to make mistakes that get continued when entered into DMV computers.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/25/manhattan-cyclist-shocked-to-discover-bike-violation-could-result-in-drivers-license-points/

I think people riding those high speed bikes should register them with the DMV mainly because you have some of those SOBs out there riding in the opposing direction on one way roads and of course speeding. Just because a person is only pedaling, it doesn't make an impact with another person less severe. God forbid they run over a child and seriously injure him/her. So yes, if it must count as points on a driver's license to get those people to obey the laws, then I'm all for it.

I think people riding those high speed bikes should register them with the DMV mainly because you have some of those SOBs out there riding in the opposing direction on one way roads and of course speeding. Just because a person is only pedaling, it doesn't make an impact with another person less severe. God forbid they run over a child and seriously injure him/her. So yes, if it must count as points on a driver's license to get those people to obey the laws, then I'm all for it.

Yup. I'm sick of trying to avoid bicyclists who go the wrong way and ignore red lights every time I cross the street.

Here in Jackson Heights, Spanish bikes and delivery bikers they don't care for safety of children.

I have seen cyclists riding bicycles cutting of Spanish families with children, jumping red light, and RIDING BIKE THROUGH Laundrymat (now gone), where children were playing while her mother was doing laundry.

This shouldn't result on points for your driver's license. Kids ride bikes too, what the hell?

Yeah, but kids wouldn't apply to these rules. They can continue to operate on the sidewalk (till about 14, I think), but MUST need a helmet. But even above and at 15 your still a "kid", until 17/18.

I do agree, points shouldn't bee involved in this situation.

I nearly got run over today by an idiot on a bike. I was crossing my street for putting something in the car. I live on a one way street, and some dope on a bike comes right at me and realy hits me going in the wrong direction.

He's like "sorry" but doesn't stop.

I yelled "One way means you two moron!"

These guys deserve the points. what they are doing is basicly no diffrent than reckless driving.

I nearly got run over today by an idiot on a bike. I was crossing my street for putting something in the car. I live on a one way street, and some dope on a bike comes right at me and realy hits me going in the wrong direction.

These guys deserve the points. what they are doing is basicly no diffrent than reckless driving.

I agree with you Kamen Rider. Reminder to all drivers: Follow traffic rules.

If he hit you he would have been charged with going the wrong way!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you Kamen Rider. Reminder to all drivers: Follow traffic rules.

Sadly this is NYC and no one follows traffic rules. Example, Belt Parkway's speed limit is 50...yeah back when I drove to work, everyone averages 65-70. And only until Highway Patrol shows up, then speed limit is 50.

----

Putting points for a "biking" violation is retarded. Nuff said.

Archived