The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

36 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Thank you for sharing your experiences in schoolcar. It gives me (an outsider) a glimpse of what a rookie T/O in training goes through. Do you have a preferred line you'd like to pick once you get the chance?

Of course I do, everyone has their preferred lines. For me it would be the one I grew up riding the most so the N.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I right in reading when you pick your job once (or twice) a year, you work that exact duty and trains every day? With no variation? How do you deal with the boredom?

We sign routes hear but work different times each day which have different trains and services each day over the set routes.

Sorry if I misunderstand!

Francis

On 5/22/2019 at 11:33 PM, Late Clear said:

1.  You're posting.  You shall be guided by whoever is posting you.  The T/O has to work with their partner.  

2.  Stop putting everything you encounter daily on this forum.  

I concur with this....

You got managers who are in these forums as well as other supervision..

Please do not be like some of these Cats down here who  always tell their tales in RTO online or in social media..

Once yer labeled down here it stays with you for as long as you are down here..

• 2 weeks later...

Its not like i am nit picking but im just hearing certain things too much on the radio..

So spread the word look out for each other...

You do not need permission from RCC to key a signal on a yard lead..

You do not need permission from RCC to Key signals up to a mainline lay up..

You do not need permission from RCC To accept a call on , the call on is your permission..

You give your "information" (name job pass car numbers) to the yard master in the Yard not while you are still on the mainline...

Things can be going on (and several times there was) and those types of transmissions cut off the important things us out there we need to hear.

Be safe out there people its getting rough...

10 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Its not like i am nit picking but im just hearing certain things too much on the radio..

So spread the word look out for each other...

You do not need permission from RCC to key a signal on a yard lead..

You do not need permission from RCC to Key signals up to a mainline lay up..

You do not need permission from RCC To accept a call on , the call on is your permission..

You give your "information" (name job pass car numbers) to the yard master in the Yard not while you are still on the mainline...

Things can be going on (and several times there was) and those types of transmissions cut off the important things us out there we need to hear.

Be safe out there people its getting rough...

Well let's think about this confusion.  Are you really surprised?  Things are taught in a matter to pass a exam.   School car administration is so disconnected with reality and RCC is extremely disconnected from the road.  The blind leading the blind.  Plenty of opportunities for confusion.  I always tell people if you don't know, ask. 

Mainline layup if you are the first train you do need permission to key automatic signals.  Anything after that it becomes a storage track and you no longer need permission. 

CBTC you need permission to accept a call on.  Go figure. 

13 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Well let's think about this confusion.  Are you really surprised?  Things are taught in a matter to pass a exam.   School car administration is so disconnected with reality and RCC is extremely disconnected from the road.  The blind leading the blind.  Plenty of opportunities for confusion.  I always tell people if you don't know, ask. 

Mainline layup if you are the first train you do need permission to key automatic signals.  Anything after that it becomes a storage track and you no longer need permission. 

CBTC is a whole different animal, those rules just go against basic Train and Tower operation as we know it.

That's the thing its never the first train i am hearing, its the second third even the fourth(There is a train right in front str track)...

I've been lurking in this thread for a few weeks now,  I've read through everything from page 1. I'm curious because I'm in a similar position trying to become a train operator under the MTA umbrella, just the lirr and not the subway system. Both of the training regimens are grueling from what I gather. I recently had to take a signals and definitions exam where I had to know 126 signals 100% and 75 definitions verbatim where they randomly picked 20. Its a ton of information we have to learn in a relatively short time period,  but its definitely doable. If you want it bad enough you will absolutely find a way to make it, I definitely want it and will do whatever it takes, very good information in this thread for me to make parallels and comparisons. For the most part training is very similar and a tough road. 

Hello all, 

I just got sworn in yesterday for the July 22nd class. I'm buying the clothing I need and ordered the boots already, but I remember it being mentioned somewhere what type of bag I should buy. I think it was in this thread. 

Anybody have any recommendations as far as toolbags? I know backpacks or bags with wheels are a no no. 

On 6/26/2019 at 9:45 AM, Late Clear said:

A lot of those practices come from B division towers.  

If you key a signal without permission in the A division ATS knows. 

It Most parts of the B Div the tower knows too Alarms go off..

Oh BTW they can "see trains" now in the B Div.. Its not as advanced as ATS...

Yet.....

2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

It Most parts of the B Div the tower knows too Alarms go off..

Oh BTW they can "see trains" now in the B Div.. Its not as advanced as ATS...

Yet.....

Yup... that's why it's always best to not cover anything up and deal with the consequences.  

Always operate as if every train and every signal has a recorder, and you'll be fine.  

On 6/28/2019 at 2:41 AM, Late Clear said:

Yup... that's why it's always best to not cover anything up and deal with the consequences.  

Always operate as if every train and every signal has a recorder, and you'll be fine.  

92-19 will help out a lot with that as well..

9 hours ago, Late Clear said:

And I have bridge to sell you. 

Considering you aren't in RTO yet how can you make that claim?

I was in Refresher coruse this past week i know for a Fact 92-19 has exonerated people...

Edited by RTOMan

3 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Considering you aren't in RTO yet how can you make that claim?

I was in Refresher coruse this past week i know for a Fact 92-19 has exonerated people...

It is the third bullet point that gets people.  Do they know the proper procedure?

For instance, there were adj track flagging scenarios where you saw the caution flags, then as you pass the next local station on the express track, by rule you are allowed to wrap up to permitted speed for the area.  But by rule you must inform Control first there is no resume signal prior to increasing speed (3.82c).

On 6/26/2019 at 1:21 PM, Lirrdream said:

I've been lurking in this thread for a few weeks now,  I've read through everything from page 1. I'm curious because I'm in a similar position trying to become a train operator under the MTA umbrella, just the lirr and not the subway system. Both of the training regimens are grueling from what I gather. I recently had to take a signals and definitions exam where I had to know 126 signals 100% and 75 definitions verbatim where they randomly picked 20. Its a ton of information we have to learn in a relatively short time period,  but its definitely doable. If you want it bad enough you will absolutely find a way to make it, I definitely want it and will do whatever it takes, very good information in this thread for me to make parallels and comparisons. For the most part training is very similar and a tough road. 

Congratulations.  Put everything you have into the job and it can be very rewarding.  Eventually, the hardest part is reporting to work on time and maintaining absolute focus and attention.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:41 PM, Late Clear said:

Not everyone who is a TD or in Control was a train operator.  Some know their job better than others and some don't care enough to know their job.

It falls on the crew to understand their responsibilities (unfortunately).  Control can't see the bumper tie on the road or what you see.

As for accepting the call on, know the procedure.  Understand that the switch must be in your favor before moving the train and ensure the stop arm is retaining in the clear position before moving the train.  That means sometimes you will have to secure your train and cab, descend with your PPE and shoe paddle and investigate the switch.

6 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

It is the third bullet point that gets people.  Do they know the proper procedure?

For instance, there were adj track flagging scenarios where you saw the caution flags, then as you pass the next local station on the express track, by rule you are allowed to wrap up to permitted speed for the area.  But by rule you must inform Control first there is no resume signal prior to increasing speed (3.82c).

Thats on us to know the rules they Went over that too..

We have to know the rules...

So when they try that we know exactly what to say..

Its a mindset to have from day one.

my entire class passed the road test. Final tomorrow and we off to BBQ on thurs

Had a R46 with bad dynamic brakes but I adjusted my operation and rookie rolled all my stops. Better than sliding out of stations amirite?

Edited by nipaaaa

20 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

my entire class passed the road test. Final tomorrow and we off to BBQ on thurs

Had a R46 with bad dynamic brakes but I adjusted my operation and rookie rolled all my stops. Better than sliding out of stations amirite?

So long as you passed, do what you gotta do, when I operate any smee I'm rolling up while releasing then release to a slow roll, then full service to the marker. But congrats!

Edited by LIRRMedford