The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I had been off probation for 2 months before I called out and they still asked for my address. Also, I never got a letter saying I'm in the 70% but I did get a letter saying that since I only used 1 day of sick leave that I could cash out 8 hours if I wanted (which I didn't)

Then you are still on the 30% list. The 30% list doesn't have anything to do with probation, when your sick record puts you in the top 70% of employees, then you'll be removed from the 30% list.

The only thing probation matters for is getting doctor's lines when booking sick (even for 1 day) to avoid getting hassled by schoolcar for booking off without lines.

Edited by SubwayGuy

• 2 weeks later...

Do we get extra sick days in the new year? My balance is bit higher than I thought... Also, when we work RDO's, can we bank any of it as OTO?

No, you don't get anything automatically on January 1 unless you have been with Transit for over a year, in which case you get a PLD.

Every year on May 1 you get 12 sick days. The sick year runs from May 1 to April 30 of the following year. If you are a new employee (who was not with Transit last May 1), you will continue to accrue 1 sick day per month until May 1, when you will get your 12 for the (next) sick year.

When you work RDO's you can bank the overtime as OTO, however, in order to do so, you must bank a minimum of two hours as OTO. You cannot bank less than 2 hours (unless your overtime is less than 2 hours, in which case you must bank the whole thing, or opt for pay). Obviously in the case of an RDO (minimum 8+4 for 12 hours) that does not apply, so you must bank a minimum of 2. But if you'd like, you can bank the whole thing, provided it doesn't put your OTO balance above 72 hours (you cannot carry more than 72 hours in the OTO bank, excess will be paid out to you).

If you have access to "The Crew Room" here, there's a thread in there explaining how all of the major leave balances work.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Need some of that veteran knowledge. I'm in YX right now. Scheduling has been great as far as locations and RDOs. After about 3 weeks of the same job, I get switched to a different shift. Now I'll do a job at one location on one day, the next on on the board at the same location for 3 days straight without picking up a job.(no complaints here). Sooooo,

A. In the YX program, I know you're at the mercy of the Crew Assignment, but I thought we weren't suppose to be put on the board. Aren't we suppose to get different locations to learn the job?

B. What's the difference between the Board & the General Orders Yard board?

C. Do the people at the CRC or dispatchers have control who can pick up a job or is that all crew assignment?.

Like I said, no complaints about sitting doing nothing while on the board, but I feel I'm missing out on gaining knowledge & experience that comes with the job.My train operation is good (according to the TSS's that rode along with me), but to go to a location & get one day of switching/yard, trying to learn the specific moves & home signal locations, only to be pulled & put on the board the next, really isn't helping me.

No, you don't get anything automatically on January 1 unless you have been with Transit for over a year, in which case you get a PLD.

Every year on May 1 you get 12 sick days. The sick year runs from May 1 to April 30 of the following year. If you are a new employee (who was not with Transit last May 1), you will continue to accrue 1 sick day per month until May 1, when you will get your 12 for the (next) sick year.

When you work RDO's you can bank the overtime as OTO, however, in order to do so, you must bank a minimum of two hours as OTO. You cannot bank less than 2 hours (unless your overtime is less than 2 hours, in which case you must bank the whole thing, or opt for pay). Obviously in the case of an RDO (minimum 8+4 for 12 hours) that does not apply, so you must bank a minimum of 2. But if you'd like, you can bank the whole thing, provided it doesn't put your OTO balance above 72 hours (you cannot carry more than 72 hours in the OTO bank, excess will be paid out to you).

If you have access to "The Crew Room" here, there's a thread in there explaining how all of the major leave balances work.

Thank you, SubwayGuy! That was very helpful! Here's another oddball question. I was given a job that has a built in late clear. Can I bank the OT that's built into the job?

Thank you, SubwayGuy! That was very helpful! Here's another oddball question. I was given a job that has a built in late clear. Can I bank the OT that's built into the job?

No, only unscheduled overtime may be saved as OTO. Any penalty built into a job must be taken as pay.

Additionally, straight bonus is not eligible for OTO either. That means you also can't OTO a "No Lunch" or breaking in a student. You could try, but it will likely get rejected unless they miss it.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Need some of that veteran knowledge. I'm in YX right now. Scheduling has been great as far as locations and RDOs. After about 3 weeks of the same job, I get switched to a different shift. Now I'll do a job at one location on one day, the next on on the board at the same location for 3 days straight without picking up a job.(no complaints here). Sooooo,

A. In the YX program, I know you're at the mercy of the Crew Assignment, but I thought we weren't suppose to be put on the board. Aren't we suppose to get different locations to learn the job?

B. What's the difference between the Board & the General Orders Yard board?

C. Do the people at the CRC or dispatchers have control who can pick up a job or is that all crew assignment?.

Like I said, no complaints about sitting doing nothing while on the board, but I feel I'm missing out on gaining knowledge & experience that comes with the job.My train operation is good (according to the TSS's that rode along with me), but to go to a location & get one day of switching/yard, trying to learn the specific moves & home signal locations, only to be pulled & put on the board the next, really isn't helping me.

A-They have you guys on board? That's something new. Are they actually "board" jobs, or are they "test train", "general order", or "relocation" jobs where you just sit at the location unless you are needed for a move? Yes, you are supposed to be working various locations and learning, but people have been complaining about having to travel for work so the Crew Office has been extremely accomodating in recent months as far as reporting locations to new employees. It never used to be that way, so that's a good thing if you don't like far away reports.

B-"Extra Board" can sit and pick up a job on the yard or the road. "General Orders Yard" jobs are generally test trains or to relocate trains. You can be asked to help drill in the yard, or with a test train, you may be asked to prepare a train, operate through a GO area after its completion, and maybe even make a put in, or just bring the train back to the yard when finished. Generally relocation jobs would be to assist with relocating layups due to general orders - perhaps certain yard tracks are out so layups will be going to a mainline location instead.

C-Both. If a terminal needs to use their extra board person, they will call the Crew Office to let them know they are being used. Likewise, if the Crew Office needs them, they will call the terminal to have you sent to wherever you need to go (or let you know you're picking up a job where you already are).

There are always things to be learned, even if you're just sitting. While it may not be ideal, make the most of it. Pick a senior guy's brain, or ask questions if you can think of any. You will have plenty of chances to practice moving the train, and you don't want to get on the crew office's bad side in the meantime, especially in the beginning. Odds are there are probably just a surplus of YX people at the moment, and they want to get the newer employees some experience too.

Oh thanks @SubwayGuy. Yeah in the YX, I'd go in with an actual switching job or yard job one day, then for 4 days straight my name was either on the board or under General Orders Yard. Since we had a cold plan in effect, I was able to be used one day to help out in switching. Other times, the CRC person (depending on if I was at a station) usually told me to go to the crew room and sit and wait to be called. If I wasnt called, eh....free day. If I was at a yard, usually the yard dispatcher was like "go hang out in the crew room & maybe I'll have you help out today." One time I actually just had to add a train for the CI's. That was my one job for the day.....and grateful too cause I thought I'd just be sitting there again doing nothing. And yes I have been picking the brains of the Veterans and taking notes. I even asked a dispatcher if I could ride along with a guy doing a put in, just so I can watch the move. He & the T/O gladly obliged. I will say, my experience so far with picking vets minds, asking for ride alongs and watching moves has been greatly appreciated to the fact that I'm willing to learn.....even if I dont have an actual job for the day. No matter what I'm doing, I'm always grateful for the help and teachings. 

I finally finished my first week of real YX work (not posting, or enhancement). I loved it, after the first day learning the moves it was smooth sailing. Just a simple question; is there a parking area at Woodlawn Terminal for MTA workers, or do most people just park at Mosholu yard and take the train one stop up? 

I finally finished my first week of real YX work (not posting, or enhancement). I loved it, after the first day learning the moves it was smooth sailing. Just a simple question; is there a parking area at Woodlawn Terminal for MTA workers, or do most people just park at Mosholu yard and take the train one stop up? 

Yes, but it has weird hours for alternate side. The best two options for parking at Woodlawn are to park over by Bedford Park Blvd. and ride up, or to park on Jerome Avenue by the cemetary - if you do the second one...ONLY do it if you're working during the day! Cars have been broken into and vandalized up that way after dark, so it's not recommended.

Mosholu Yard is tight, but if you can get in, go for it. Just be aware they have a bunch of 6-2 and 7-3 spots for the AM folks so you'll want to not mess up their flow if you do park there.

Kenny Taylor knows the subway system like nobody else!

He is one of the best.

The real fact of the matter is that no one down here, not Kenny, not the #1 T/O, not the #1 T/D, actually knows everything down here.

Things constantly change, and you have to constantly refresh yourself. New timers are put in, new equipment gets ordered and existing equipment gets modified, rules and procedures change. Plus this place is so big that no one person can truly know every nook and every cranny of every location.

So...try to learn everything...but recognize that part of that is to also recognize that no matter what, you never will. And give consideration to others when they DO know something you don't. As much as I enjoy this job, it would be a heck of a lot better if everyone looked at it that way.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Ken, park at Concourse Yard, which is on 204 & Jerome Ave (3911 Jerome Ave), i.e., directly next to Mosholu Tower. Then, take the 4 @ BPK to WDL.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear this going around. Heard that from the February class on, they're gonna have to take 2 signal exams. One is the original before yard posting, then one after YX. A TSS told me that they are implementing it because too many ppl are hitting signals and splitting switches. Anyone hearing this too?

Anyone hear this going around. Heard that from the February class on, they're gonna have to take 2 signal exams. One is the original before yard posting, then one after YX. A TSS told me that they are implementing it because too many ppl are hitting signals and splitting switches. Anyone hearing this too?

Seems kind of pointless... Hitting signals or splitting switches means you're ignoring the yellow and the red signals. Having the extra signals test isn't going to improve on that. You'd make it a point of emphasis during schoolcar and road operations. But this is the TA so I guess it shouldn't surprise me...