Bus Fleet/Scheduling Questions

Mysterious2train

Hi. Very interested in scheduling, so I just have some questions.

- What does a route's number of runs refer to? For example, youngblaze said that the Bx1 and Bx2 have 75 runs. What does this refer to? Runs during AM Rush Hour, for both directions? Runs during a whole weekday in one direction?

- For routes that use both artics and 40' buses, is there a set ratio or artics to 40'ers or does it just depend on what's available? For example, based on observation the Bx15 generally uses more artics than 40'ers, the M100 uses mostly NGs with the occasional artic popping up, and the M60 seems a little more in the middle. Is it the latter? I mean, I've seen 40' buses very rarely on the Bx41 and Bx55, and that seems like something done just to make service.

- For B/Os who drive routes like this, do you think using a 40' bus vs. a 60' bus makes any significant difference in the crowding levels? Or does it depend on other factors like time of day?

- For routes split between two depots, how is it generally determined how many buses the route uses from each depot?

- Speaking of number of buses used, is there source available to a schmuck like me that says how many buses each route needs at its most? (i.e. - a bus version of TheJoeKorner car assignments list, which says how many cars each subway line uses during Rush Hour) I mean, right now you can get a rough idea of how many buses each route uses by examining the timetables, but I imagine they don't tell the full story.

- Why do B/Os get paid more for driving artics than 40'ers? The only reason I can think of is increased travel time (since buses are generally running a little less frequently, and there are more people per bus, so loading and unloading times are longer.)

To ask more specific questions:

- Does anybody know what routes Mother Clara Hale and Amsterdam had before they closed? Also, before MCH closed, were there any significant transfers of bus routes between MaBSTOA depots, or were things mostly static? I ask this because there was this old forum post showing which buses were at which depots way back, but I can't find it at all.

- Late at night, does Bx39 service between Wakefield and Williamsbridge use the same buses as the Bx41?

- Where do B41 short-turns to Empire Blvd lay-over? The B41 schedule shows some buses ending at Empire Blvd long before buses start going back from Empire Blvd, so I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone can provide!

What does a route's number of runs refer to? For example, youngblaze said that the Bx1 and Bx2 have 75 runs. What does this refer to? Runs during AM Rush Hour, for both directions? Runs during a whole weekday in one direction?

It refers to the number of driver assignments. If a route has 75 weekday runs, then 75 bus operators are needed to cover a full weekday's service.

Late at night, does Bx39 service between Wakefield and Williamsbridge use the same buses as the Bx41?

Yes. A northbound Bx41 arrives at White Plains & Gun Hill, then becomes a Bx39 and continues north to 241st. The same bus returns as a Bx39 to Gun Hill and changes to Bx41.

Hi. Very interested in scheduling, so I just have some questions.

- What does a route's number of runs refer to? For example, youngblaze said that the Bx1 and Bx2 have 75 runs. What does this refer to? Runs during AM Rush Hour, for both directions? Runs during a whole weekday in one direction?

- Where do B41 short-turns to Empire Blvd lay-over? The B41 schedule shows some buses ending at Empire Blvd long before buses start going back from Empire Blvd, so I'm just curious.

Each route has a set number of runs for weekday, Saturday & Sunday service. For example: for the upcoming pick, the B46 has 113 weekday and the B41 has 89 weekday runs; however, the 41 & 46 have interlined trips for specific runs, which from what I see, certain B41 runs are pulled away from Flatbush Avenue and used on the 46 when service is much more heavier, and vice versa.

Layover area for Empire Blvd-B41s is inside the southbound stop at Ocean-Empire Blvd & Flatbush Avenue.

To ask more specific questions:

- Does anybody know what routes Mother Clara Hale and Amsterdam had before they closed? Also, before MCH closed, were there any significant transfers of bus routes between MaBSTOA depots, or were things mostly static? I ask this because there was this old forum post showing which buses were at which depots way back, but I can't find it at all.

When Amsterdam closed, it ran the M1, M7, M98, and two eliminated routes: the M18 and the M30. MCH, last I remember, had the M1, M2 (back and forth with MHV), M7, Bx32, and Bx33.

It's a different story when the two were open at the same time: Amsterdam ran the M100, M104, Bx6, and Bx15, while MCH ran the M1, M7, Bx19, Bx21, and Bx33. And yes, there were plenty of changes with each pick just as we have now -- and I'd bet there will only be more in the future as we see service changes for different routes, fleet changes, etc.

- Why do B/Os get paid more for driving artics than 40'ers? The only reason I can think of is increased travel time (since buses are generally running a little less frequently, and there are more people per bus, so loading and unloading times are longer.)

Well, you have to consider that if the runtime is longer (because it takes longer to load/unload passengers), they'll be getting paid more anyway.

As far as the hourly rate, somebody mentioned that it's $0.25 more per hour. Probably because it's a little harder to drive an artic than a standard bus.

Yes. A northbound Bx41 arrives at White Plains & Gun Hill, then becomes a Bx39 and continues north to 241st. The same bus returns as a Bx39 to Gun Hill and changes to Bx41.

The overnight headways for the two routes are different (I believe it's 50 minutes for the Bx41 and 60 minutes for the Bx39, but I have to check the schedule). I suspect it's just one bus going up and down White Plains Road on the Bx39.

The overnight headways for the two routes are different (I believe it's 50 minutes for the Bx41 and 60 minutes for the Bx39, but I have to check the schedule). I suspect it's just one bus going up and down White Plains Road on the Bx39.

There are 2 hawk runs on the Bx41 I believe Run 001 is the one that is interlined with the Bx39 shuttle.

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

@Checkmate: The Bx39 night schedule was tweaked sometime ago to time it to the Bx39 [with 5-8 in-between at Gun Hill Rd] and TTMG lists late night Bx39 service as out of Kingsbridge, so everything seemed to just fit.

@MHV: I'm surprised the M102 wasn't out of MCH, but I guess that was so it could interline with the M101. It doesn't seem like such a bad idea to have some M101 runs out of MCH either, since it's faster deadheading to Fort George from there than going in service from Tuskegee Airmen Depot, but I digress.

One would think the M103 would be out of 126th St Depot, since all of its trips begin at 125th St anyway, and it doesn't really interline with its sister routes.

And then, maybe the M31 can go to TG, and use artics and interline with the M86. But RBO must have a method to its madness.

I think M101 used to have some runs out of MCH back in it's 40 Footer Days....I remember always seeing O5s on M101....Only AMS and MCH had non-Express O5 in Manhattan (even though AMS and MCH were BX division depots)..

Someone help me out here.

@MHV: I'm surprised the M102 wasn't out of MCH, but I guess that was so it could interline with the M101. It doesn't seem like such a bad idea to have some M101 runs out of MCH either, since it's faster deadheading to Fort George from there than going in service from Tuskegee Airmen Depot, but I digress.

We'll have to see where everything gets pushed around in the future, because a route like the M15 makes a lot more sense out of TU than MCH, just like the M101 makes more sense out of MCH like you said. Have to see what gets pushed out / moved around in the coming year, should be interesting. Whatwith the increasing amount of artics in service (M60, M34 conversions) depots like Mannyville are going to be a lot more limited in terms of running routes and housing buses.

I think M101 used to have some runs out of MCH back in it's 40 Footer Days....I remember always seeing O5s on M101....Only AMS and MCH had non-Express O5 in Manhattan (even though AMS and MCH were BX division depots)..

Someone help me out here.

I remember pretty well the M101 being based out of MHV, but there may have been runs from MCH. Have to look into that one...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess most of my original questions have been answered but I figure this is a good place to ask some more questions sometime.

I'm wondering how a route is picked for being all-artic vs. using artics or 40' footers. Take 126th St depot for example, I don't think you'll ever see 40' buses on the M15 on a normal day but all the other routes there use or used at one point both types of buses [M31, M35, M60 and M116]

Although, looking at TTMG roster now it seems the M60 is finally all-artic for the new pick tomorrow [with higher headways compared to before] along with the M15, and conversely the M31, M35 and M116 will be using 40 foot buses only, so it might be interesting to see if any swapping occurs.

Archived