Taking the B Division for the first in Years

MTARegional Bus

You guys ever get that feeling when you enter the B Division (A, B, C, D, E, F, G,J, L, M, N, Q, R and Z), of the Subway you feel like your in a different Subway of a other city? since am used to taking the A Division a lot I rarely use the B Division of the Subway, I was wondering if it same vice versa when you Guys take the A Division. :)

Nope. Everything's still in crappy condition, there's garbage everywhere, and stench of the homeless guy on the other side of the car is slowly making it's way towards you.

quote ftw..I take both the A and B division to work and they are overall the same. Due to the narrow/slim cars, i found the a division more crowded then the b

it maybe the same experience to some people, but to me it just feel different.

I feel it occasionally. I take the A Division every single day and sometimes it'll be a couple of weeks until I get on the B Division, and I'll feel like I'm in a different system when I do with the wider and longer cars. Specially if I go from riding R142/As all week and then I get on an R32, feels like a different thing entirely. Then I get used to it again, but people definitely are more used to the lines they take most frequently.

I very seldom ride the IND south past Jay St./Boro Hall, and hadn't for years until I was on my way out to the Rockaways last month. There certainly was something that felt inherently different in the look of the green-tiled stations along Fulton St. I liken it to some long-hidden level of an old video game, where the framework is essentially the same, but the aesthetic feel is completely different because of a color scheme.

From a tourist standpoint (nevermind someone with attention to detail and love of transit), you can tell the difference between the two, from the moment you step into the station and the second you're sitting on the train, to the second you walk off the platform. I find the A division more crowded than the B, although I like the wider cars on the B (save for the 46s and 68's, those I felt were jerky).

I used to feel a big difference when the system had the wide variety of subway cars. I grew up riding the IRT lines and occaisionally I would find myself on the B division and noticed the tunnels were darker with thicker columns and I got a rare kick out of looking out the front of a "slant". But now, to my disappointment the whole system feels the same because the trains are all basically the same design making the same noise.

I used to feel that way as a kid. I didn't ride the subway much back then and to ride a line like the (A) or the (D) or the (E) was like being in a different island after riding lines like the (1) or the (3) or the (4). Every now and then I still feel like its different but the differences are what make the NYC Subway so great.

Those two car classes are more about the T/O, many don't really know how to operate them.

Does A division have more less experienced T/Os? whenever I take the 4/5/6 it's rarely a smooth ride with a lot of jerking while pulling into stations and hard stop. Nothing against women but many happen to be female T/O.

Archived