Nightclub fire kills 233 in Brazil

mfs NJT459

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL — A blaze at a Brazilian nightclub left more than 230 people dead early Sunday morning, in what appears to be the world's deadliest nightclub fire in more than a decade.

More than 100 others were injured when the fire broke out at 2 a.m. at a nightclub called Kiss in Santa Maria, Brazil, at the southern tip of the country near the borders with Argentina and Uruguay.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/01/27/brazil-nightclub-fire/1867777/

Oh jesus.... Can we please have ONE thread where we don't have a reference to gun control?

It's a comment on peoples' tendency to turn to legislation as a be-all, end-all of the worlds problems.

But, thanks for playing.  Your effort is appreciated 110%.

This fire could have been prevented. Reading the article, it reveals that according to some accounts, the security guards were actually preventing some party-goers from escaping because they did not pay their comanda (running beer tab). It was reported that there was fighting that broke out at the doors because of this. One other survivor also stated that there was no emergency exits. There was only one way in and one way out. That should give some clues as to the circumstances, aside from the initial pyrotechnics failure causing an inferno to engulf the club within five minutes of the spark.

So one can only imagine the chaos that occurred in the first minutes. Something reminicent of the 1990 Happy Land fire in the Bronx except that no arsonist was involved apparently and that it was a blaze that took twice as many lives.

Hey, some of us have social lives.

We all need that playground to play and have fun once in a while with the opposite sex. There's many ways to maintain social lives and meet people. Clubs and bars are an obvious way (not always the best of places for many reasons but still) to meet people aside from other public gathering places such as schools, coffee shops, museums, even supermarkets, libraries, etc. etc.

This fire could have been prevented. Reading the article, it reveals that according to some accounts, the security guards were actually preventing some party-goers from escaping because they did not pay their comanda (running beer tab). It was reported that there was fighting that broke out at the doors because of this. One other survivor also stated that there was no emergency exits. There was only one way in and one way out. That should give some clues as to the circumstances, aside from the initial pyrotechnics failure causing an inferno to engulf the club within five minutes of the spark.

So one can only imagine the chaos that occurred in the first minutes. Something reminicent of the 1990 Happy Land fire in the Bronx except that no arsonist was involved apparently and that it was a blaze that took twice as many lives.

That's in contrast to most nightclubs here, which have at least one emergency exit (which serves as a secret entrance for celebrity performers).

We all need that playground to play and have fun once in a while with the opposite sex. There's many ways to maintain social lives and meet people. Clubs and bars are an obvious way (not always the best of places for many reasons but still) to meet people aside from other public gathering places such as schools, coffee shops, museums, even supermarkets, libraries, etc. etc.

True. My post however was meant more of a satirical joke. Of course nightclubs will never be banned. Still though, you raise a good point.

I saw this on the news and one source said the one exit that was available was being blocked by bodies that were suffocating from the intense smoke. Very tragic to hear. The fire was apparently caused by the band's performance setup.

I saw this on the news and one source said the one exit that was available was being blocked by bodies that were suffocating from the intense smoke. Very tragic to hear. The fire was apparently caused by the band's performance setup.

Something like this happened about 3 or 4 years ago in the middle east as well.

Just imagine fire was illegal in Brazil.  This would not have happened.

Can we chill with that nonsense phrase that you gun people keep blowing out of your asses every time a tragedy occurs? It just makes you look trite and callous when you overuse that same line again and again. It wasn't clever the first time, and if you still can't understand in this day and age that guns (unlike cars, nightclubs, what have you) are lethal weapons designed to kill, I recommend a lobotomy and a full transplant before commenting again. 

But don't worry, it's perfectly alright when people like you repeat the same nonsense over and over again.  I love double standards.

By the way, here's another for you: guns don't kill people, people kill people.

:)

Can we chill with that nonsense phrase that you gun people keep blowing out of your asses every time a tragedy occurs? It just makes you look trite and callous when you overuse that same line again and again. It wasn't clever the first time, and if you still can't understand in this day and age that guns (unlike cars, nightclubs, what have you) are lethal weapons designed to kill, I recommend a lobotomy and a full transplant before commenting again. 

No one was even talking about guns....

But don't worry, it's perfectly alright when people like you repeat the same nonsense over and over again.  I love double standards.

By the way, here's another for you: guns don't kill people, people kill people.

:)

That's not how double standards work. Honestly, if you disagree with me, by all means call me out, cause if I disagree with you you know full well I'll call you out. 

No one was even talking about guns....

How did you miss both Joe's point and my point?

This is sad that 233 people lost their lives to the fire. Like many have said so far this was preventable. As for everyone else I have to ask want to play a game? The game is called "How long this thread will last before it's closed" 

Archived