Event 2/25/13 Corona Elmhurst Planning Meeting for Transit Issue-

FamousNYLover

CORONA AND ELMHURST PLANNING MEETING

2633993667_f1cf741560_z.jpgRSVP Below For Our Corona And Elmhurst Planning Meeting On February 25th At 6:00 P.M

Earlier this winter, we were out on 7 train platforms in Corona and Elmhurst talking to folks about the transit issues they faced. Some of the issues they raised included overcrowding on the 7 train and better buses. We want to hear more, and are gathering residents together to brainstorm ideas of how to improve transit in Corona and Elmhurst. 

Join us for a small Spanish-English bilingual community meeting and bring your ideas!

RSVP Below to join us on Monday, February 25th At 6:00pm where we'll meet neighbors, share snacks, and create a collective vision of better transit in Corona and Elmhurst.

EVENT LOCATION Immigrant Movement International

108-59 Roosevelt Avenue (between 108th and 111th Ave)

Queens, NY 11368

http://salsa.ridersny.org/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=70067

Hope this is in Corna Yard

Please, look at the address, and the type of event. This will be no where near Corona Yard, this is a community organizing event that deals with how to improve service on the (7)<7>, not to tour the yard. Please, reading is fundamental!

Don't forget to make free reservation at Riders Alliance

I will Yuki, thanks.

Kendell, can you not joke? Just wasting everyone's time reading your posts. I even doubt it was a joke at first, but I should go back to topic. I'm not going but one of my opinions:

More frequent schedule

At PM or AM rush: 2 express, 1 local, repeat

Most people go for express, so I think more express trains would make overcrowding not happen as often.

One thing:

Why don't they get express service on Saturdays? I'm not talking about Sundays, just Saturdays.

Kendell, can you not joke? Just wasting everyone's time reading your posts. I even doubt it was a joke at first, but I should go back to topic. I'm not going but one of my opinions:

More frequent schedule

At PM or AM rush: 2 express, 1 local, repeat

Most people go for express, so I think more express trains would make overcrowding not happen as often.

One thing:

Why don't they get express service on Saturdays? I'm not talking about Sundays, just Saturdays.

Don't even think of decreasing of Rush Hour Local Service on the (7), especially during the PM rush. If you're seriously proposing this, then you have never seen the crowds on the local stops between 74th St-Broadway and 103rd Street-Corona Plaza...since people do use those stations heavily. 74th can get dangerously overcrowded at times due to infrequent service on PM rush and people transferring from the QBL. 

As for express service on weekends, it'd be great, but it won't happen as long as the CBTC project is ongoing construction and installation. 

Don't even think of decreasing of Rush Hour Local Service on the (7), especially during the PM rush. If you're seriously proposing this, then you have never seen the crowds on the local stops between 74th St-Broadway and 103rd Street-Corona Plaza...since people do use those stations heavily. 74th can get dangerously overcrowded at times due to infrequent service on PM rush and people transferring from the QBL. 

As for express service on weekends, it'd be great, but it won't happen as long as the CBTC project is ongoing construction and installation. 

Well, they don't run express trains on weekdays after 10. I would make it so that they run until 11, since most people still go to work a little late. Once CBTC is done, express on weekends would reduce crowding on the local, because a decent amount of the people get off at <7> stops and not (7) stops. Express trains running all days won't work, because they might have to do track work. But if it will work if express ran all day, I would do 2 or 3 locals, then 1 express. Rush hour, 1 local, 1 express as usual.

EDIT: As said, it wouldn't make sense to make 74 St an express stop as 61 St is very close by.

There should be less express, more local. Keep in mind the peak express and local track cannot have over 30tph so for more local service, youll have to compromise.

Actually, no. I've been on the first express of the PM rush, and it is REALLY packed. We pass locals that don't even have people standing. I'm in the front car looking out the RFW on the express, and I have gotten pushed to the spot where I had to push back on the RFW. But when we pass locals, don't seem packed at all. The only thing about the express and locals is that they always have to wait before terminating at Flushing.

What about midday?

EDIT - Said weekend by accident, meant midday, sorry.

AM Express service should return to how was it was before- from 5:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Again, though, due to the numerous GO's taking place right now on the (7), it would have to wait, but should definitely be on the bucket list for improvements.  

Well, they don't run express trains on weekdays after 10. I would make it so that they run until 11, since most people still go to work a little late. Once CBTC is done, express on weekends would reduce crowding on the local, because a decent amount of the people get off at <7> stops and not (7) stops. Express trains running all days won't work, because they might have to do track work. But if it will work if express ran all day, I would do 2 or 3 locals, then 1 express. Rush hour, 1 local, 1 express as usual.

EDIT: As said, it wouldn't make sense to make 74 St an express stop as 61 St is very close by.

PM Express service should be extended later into the night, but IMO, 11 pm is just too much. 10:30, even 10:15, would be a nice cutoff for PM express service, since after 10, the QBL isn't as crush-loaded as it is earlier in the day. However, you also have to deal the <7> "Super-Express" Service the TA offers after Mets games, and most Met games end around 10 pm usually. Gotta balance w/ that as well.

And yes, it wouldn't make sense to convert 74 to an express station - that station is already overcrowded enough w/ just the (7) local stopping, just imagine the chaos that would occur w/ people cross transferring between local and express on the el, and people going down to transfer to the QBL. 

There should be less express, more local. Keep in mind the peak express and local track cannot have over 30tph so for more local service, youll have to compromise.

Exactly, there has to be a balance. This is a heavily used line w/ little along the way to relieve it, so things have to managed carefully. Too much local service would overserve Flushing and underserve everyone in between the Express stops, while too much local service would underserve Flushing, which is a big no-no, but overserve the stops in between.

Actually, no. I've been on the first express of the PM rush, and it is REALLY packed. We pass locals that don't even have people standing. I'm in the front car looking out the RFW on the express, and I have gotten pushed to the spot where I had to push back on the RFW. But when we pass locals, don't seem packed at all. The only thing about the express and locals is that they always have to wait before terminating at Flushing.

Well, no wonder. Take the later express runs (starting at round 3:45, 4:00), or better yet, take the local between 4-7 p.m....you'll see how packed the locals get, especially between 74th and 103rd...

I was talking about the AM rush 10 AM, not 10 PM.

I have taken later express runs, and both trains are packed. The thing is, if you take an express at times square trying to beat the local, it would ALMOST always happen that you will beat the local infront of you. There are times where I beat two locals to main street, but there was one time where we didn't beat a single local. 90% of the times you will beat the local that left before you in TSQ. 

EDIT: My mom takes the <7> in the middle of the PM rush, and she does say that the local is really packed at 74 street, but not as much as the express. Once, she was at Queensboro Plz and she said the <7> was so packed that people crowded on the platform and couldn't even get into the train, mainly because two locals passed before an express did (idk why).

I was talking about the AM rush 10 AM, not 10 PM.

I have taken later express runs, and both trains are packed. The thing is, if you take an express at times square trying to beat the local, it would ALMOST always happen that you will beat the local infront of you. There are times where I beat two locals to main street, but there was one time where we didn't beat a single local. 90% of the times you will beat the local that left before you in TSQ. 

EDIT: My mom takes the <7> in the middle of the PM rush, and she does say that the local is really packed at 74 street, but not as much as the express. Once, she was at Queensboro Plz and she said the <7> was so packed that people crowded on the platform and couldn't even get into the train, mainly because two locals passed before an express did (idk why).

Please clarify then if you were talking about AM rush, I kinda assumed you were talking about the PM rush. Anyhow, no problem...

AM Express service should get extended at least an hour, but the G.O.'s on the Line take priority - which is the main impediment to extending express service. 

That is true, the express, most of the time, will beat the local, if not two. 

They're similarly packed. Simply put, you really just cannot decrease service on the Local and force more people on the express. The Local is there for a reason, and people do use it. Bunching, delays, signal problems and other factors all contribute to the problems that plague the (7)<7> - but decreasing service levels on one service and expanding it on the other is not the sliver bullet. Things on the IRT Flushing Line need to be balanced, otherwise, one part will the line will get over-served w/ service  while the other parts will get underserved. 

Archived