Open the Doors

nostalgia

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the T/O "puts the train into emergency as soon as the train stops at the last station," there's no reason to change cabs. It seems that changing cabs and dezoning accomplish the same purpose. The new C/R can operate from the adjacent cab of the inbound train.

I might be missing something.

You must be. Before you can open the doors from the other cab, you need to dezone the first cab. If you don't dezone, the door controls in the other cab won't do anything.

You must be. Before you can open the doors from the other cab, you need to dezone the first cab. If you don't dezone, the door controls in the other cab won't do anything.

I'm not communicating well. At Prospect Park, I saw the T/O dump the air on the shuttle, press the "Zone" button and open the doors. The relief T/O went to the opposite end, closed the doors and left. My question is why the C/R at the last stop has to move to the adjacent cab. The C/R can also press the "Zone" button, open the doors and leave the train. The relief C/R can close the doors from the new location. If it wasn't necessary for the T/O on the shuttle to change locations to open the doors, it shouldn't be necessary for the C/R to change locations to open the doors.

I'm not communicating well. At Prospect Park, I saw the T/O dump the air on the shuttle, press the "Zone" button and open the doors. The relief T/O went to the opposite end, closed the doors and left. My question is why the C/R at the last stop has to move to the adjacent cab. The C/R can also press the "Zone" button, open the doors and leave the train. The relief C/R can close the doors from the new location. If it wasn't necessary for the T/O on the shuttle to change locations to open the doors, it shouldn't be necessary for the C/R to change locations to open the doors.

The C/r has to move to the adjacent cab to set up the new position for the next person. When they move to the new position they have to shut that zone down and zone the new position. The T/O you seen on the shuttle wasn't pressing the zone button, he was hitting something else. The doors have to be closed to dezone that cab, It can't be done any other way.

The C/r has to move to the adjacent cab to set up the new position for the next person. When they move to the new position they have to shut that zone down and zone the new position. The T/O you seen on the shuttle wasn't pressing the zone button, he was hitting something else. The doors have to be closed to dezone that cab, It can't be done any other way.

If the T/O wasn't pressing the zone button, what was he pushing?

is this true for all cars currently in service?

Mostly. You can use the shuttle button in order to dezone with the doors still open but that is ONLY used for OPTO operation and ONLY when the train only has one zone (it can't be used from the middle of the train). Otherwise the doors must be closed AND the emergency brake activated in order to dezone.

...and of course, the 32's and the 62's on the (7) don't have to be dezoned, since they use the same C/R cab in both directions.....

With the progress of technology these days, one would think that a touchscreen and some intelligent programming would make all the excess procedures obsolete. And if they exist for a purpose, why?

With the progress of technology these days, one would think that a touchscreen and some intelligent programming would make all the excess procedures obsolete. And if they exist for a purpose, why?

If it aint broke why fix it?

And if it isn't broken, why install new technology? I don't think a majority of commuters would like to travel to work on nostalgia trains every day. The trains still operate.

And if it isn't broken, why install new technology? I don't think a majority of commuters would like to travel to work on nostalgia trains every day. The trains still operate.

Equipment is one thing, procedure is different on terms with the quote "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

There are things in life you shouldn't worry about, this procedure is one of them. Just step in the car or step away and let us do our thing. You are not going to get left behind and you will get a seat on the train. Why is this an issue is beyond me...

Amen...

Geez..

He was pressing the shuttle button. Only cars 2917-2924 on the R68's have those.

Why don't you all leave the operations to those of us who have been trained to do them, rather than try to tell us how to do our jobs?

He's asking a question, not telling you how to do your job.

Mostly. You can use the shuttle button in order to dezone with the doors still open but that is ONLY used for OPTO operation and ONLY when the train only has one zone (it can't be used from the middle of the train). Otherwise the doors must be closed AND the emergency brake activated in order to dezone.

If only 2917-2924 have the shuttle button, I don't think there's any concern about non-OPTO or about multiple zones - those cars run only as two-car OPTO trains.

The G would benefit from a shuttle button, both with and without OPTO - the door operation at Court Square is quirky.

Because the current procedure is time-consuming. A few seconds may not seem like a lot, but multiplied by the number of people on the train it can be significant, and eliminating the delay would be a good thing. At busy terminals, it can also reduce capacity - the less time each train has to spend in the station, the more trains per hour the terminal can process, and, yes, a few seconds can make a difference.

I don't know what it would take to streamline the current system, and it might not be feasible, but if it is, I think it would be a useful change.

There are things in life you shouldn't worry about, this procedure is one of them. Just step in the car or step away and let us do our thing. You are not going to get left behind and you will get a seat on the train. Why is this an issue is beyond me...

This is a subway forum. Somebody is curious about an aspect of subway operations. What's with the dismissive attitude? If you don't want to answer, don't answer, but is there really a need to reprimand someone for being curious?

They operate, but they're not air conditioned. If they were air conditioned and they were just as reliable as the newer cars, I don't think most riders would care. Technology is a means to an end; it should never be an actual goal.

Safety comes before speed down here. Don't expect those couple seconds to go away. You might as well complain about all of the timers entering a terminal too. If a train can enter an intermediate station at such fast speeds and make a safe stop, why can't they streamline it for entering terminals at faster speeds too?

The reprimand here is against all of you non-employees who seem to think that you know how everything works here, and want to tell us how your way is better without having any real understanding of why things are done the way they are, and then when we come on here to EXPLAIN it to you, you STILL talk like you have better answers. Believe me, every idea you could possibly think of has been looked at hundreds of times already by the MTA, and if it really was better, it would have been done a long time ago.

Because the current procedure is time-consuming. A few seconds may not seem like a lot, but multiplied by the number of people on the train it can be significant, and eliminating the delay would be a good thing. At busy terminals, it can also reduce capacity - the less time each train has to spend in the station, the more trains per hour the terminal can process, and, yes, a few seconds can make a difference.

I don't know what it would take to streamline the current system, and it might not be feasible, but if it is, I think it would be a useful change.

Changing the entire system to save a few seconds is going to make a difference? Do you realize that these trains run on SCHEDULES? so eliminating what procedures are done now to speed things up because your in such a hurry wont make a difference because like I wrote before these trains run on schedules. Please do us a favor go sit down and mind your business.

The problem with these forums is EVERYONE has an opinion and EVERYONE thinks they know more than the people who run these trains. Snowblock stop letting them know how we work these trains, they don't need to know this information. They want to know, let them do what we did. File for the test and then get called.

My job isn't transit related but I feel for everything these guys are saying.

Questions are fine but if you want in-detail answers then apply for the damn job and find out.

Wannabe-mod replies amuse me.

Its like them telling you how to do your job better because there in a goddamn rush. Its like them coming up with better ideas when they have NO clue how things work, and why they work the way they do. You gotta love it.

Changing the entire system to save a few seconds is going to make a difference? Do you realize that these trains run on SCHEDULES? so eliminating what procedures are done now to speed things up because your in such a hurry wont make a difference because like I wrote before these trains run on schedules. Please do us a favor go sit down and mind your business.

The problem with these forums is EVERYONE has an opinion and EVERYONE thinks they know more than the people who run these trains. Snowblock stop letting them know how we work these trains, they don't need to know this information. They want to know, let them do what we did. File for the test and then get called.

Still understand its just folks Opinion.

This is a subway forum. Somebody is curious about an aspect of subway operations. What's with the dismissive attitude? If you don't want to answer, don't answer, but is there really a need to reprimand someone for being curious?

See below:

The reprimand here is against all of you non-employees who seem to think that you know how everything works here, and want to tell us how your way is better without having any real understanding of why things are done the way they are, and then when we come on here to EXPLAIN it to you, you STILL talk like you have better answers. Believe me, every idea you could possibly think of has been looked at hundreds of times already by the MTA, and if it really was better, it would have been done a long time ago.

I had to  repost this again it seems that some folks have issues understanding what this meant..

Archived