Open the Doors

nostalgia

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cabs are right next to each other so I don't understand why it takes some conductors longer to open the doors than others.

Sometimes Doors are Locked, then you have to open the door(and make sure it dont hit you when it swings).

Then Make sure you are on the right board put in your Key Open the Doors..

Procedures...

Among other things...

You are welcome!  :)

Sometimes Doors are Locked, then you have to open the door(and make sure it dont hit you when it swings).

Then Make sure you are on the right board put in your Key Open the Doors..

Procedures...

Among other things...

You are welcome!  :)

I think opening the doors at the final stop should be a summer Olympic event. That would open the doors faster.

I expect you to medal in this event. :D

IIRC the offical reason is it sets the train up for it's return trip, and they don't want them doing so while the train is still moving.

well that's not exactly true. Ask any CR who works the C and the J and Z. Anything that runs with R32s or R42s is an exception since they're still half cabbed. The 7 is an exception becuase it's CRs stay in the same location on the train.

Everyone else, on trains running with two linked muilti car units with full witdth cabs. the CR changes from the lead car of the second set (5th on 8 car trains, 6th on ten car trains) to the cab of what had been the last car of the lead set

On the  (7) . R62A #1651 - #1830 are fully width cab both side cab are closed of the 5 cars unit set. Now R62A #2001 - #2155 become 5 cars unit?? Still it not fully width side cab are not closed. Still is single. if R62A on the  (7) ( #1711 - #1715 / #1966 - #1970.. were linked up. Which side conductor will open the door..  :rock:   :drool:

What does it mean to "dezone" a car? And in the terminal, why does the crew usually just key open 1 door per cab? I've noticed that on the L especially.

All the doors open at the final stop. After the passengers are off, the doors are closed except for one leaf per car.

Upon coming into a terminal the conductor has to shut down the door controls on the cab they were operating on and move the next car facing them and power up the door controls, then open the doors. Then usually the doors are shut down with only 1 door panel per car staying open so heat or air conditioning stays in the cars. Its not that hard to understand. If you feel it takes to long then you have problems.

All the doors open at the final stop. After the passengers are off, the doors are closed except for one leaf per car.

The newer cars have the partial close door control that lets one of the doors stay open while the rest close. Cars R68A and older don't have it and the conductors will have to key open one door per car.

Now that this topic is open, I've always been curious how you key open a door- is there literally a special key to open each specific door, or you just press a button in the C/R's position to open individual doors?

It's a literal key. 

On a NTT, there is the partial close feature that allows a door panel in each car to remain open.

On a non-NTT, we close the doors then key open a door panel.  If you want to see how this is done, head over to Lefferts, Coney Island D platform, or Howard Beach.

• 3 weeks later...

There are exceptions to every rule. The Times Square shuttle is an exception. The T/O pulling the train into Times Square opens the doors because (s)he becomes the conductor on the return trip to Grand Central and will close the doors. Is the Franklin Avenue shuttle OPTO? If it is, does the T/O walk from one end of the train to the other to open the doors?

There are exceptions to every rule. The Times Square shuttle is an exception. The T/O pulling the train into Times Square opens the doors because (s)he becomes the conductor on the return trip to Grand Central and will close the doors. Is the Franklin Avenue shuttle OPTO? If it is, does the T/O walk from one end of the train to the other to open the doors?

Yes as is the Lefferts Shuttle on the Midnight's, the Rock ways Shuttle and the M Shuttle on the weekends. There is a procedure for that as well. 

Yes as is the Lefferts Shuttle on the Midnight's, the Rock ways Shuttle and the M Shuttle on the weekends. There is a procedure for that as well. 

Seems like a long walk from one end of the train to the other end compared to moving to the cab in the next car.

Seems like a long walk from one end of the train to the other end compared to moving to the cab in the next car.

Well, you're not going to see a shuttle of eight or ten cars since there isn't demand for it. If there is then sure, the conductor can move to the next car. But the way shuttles are now, there is no "cab in the next car".

Well, you're not going to see a shuttle of eight or ten cars since there isn't demand for it. If there is then sure, the conductor can move to the next car. But the way shuttles are now, there is no "cab in the next car".

How many cars are on the overnight Franklin Shuttle?

Franklin Avenue shuttle uses two-car sets. For Lefferts, the Rockaway, and the M shuttles, they use four-car sets.

Is Franklin Avenue shuttle OPTO? I guess Lefferts, Rockaway and M shuttles have a conductor.

The Franklin (S) is OPTO at sill times. 2 sets of trains (2 cars each) during the day and one set overnight.

As for de-zoning, depends on the station. At Franklin, the T/O dumps the train, opens the doors, de-zones, then walk to the other end of the train and sets up from there.

At Prospect Park, same thing but another T/O comes instead

Is Franklin Avenue shuttle OPTO? I guess Lefferts, Rockaway and M shuttles have a conductor.

Lefferts (S) is OPTO

Rockaway (S) is OPTO all times except during the summer where they run full length trains

(M) shuttle is OPTO weekends only

Correction, nostalgia - as Fresh Pond said, the Franklin Shuttle runs one set overnight, and the Rockaway Shuttle runs full length trains during the summer. I didn't know about that.

So, other than the Rockaway Shuttle during the summer, all the other shuttles do not have a conductor.

Correction, nostalgia - as Fresh Pond said, the Franklin Shuttle runs one set overnight, and the Rockaway Shuttle runs full length trains during the summer. I didn't know about that.

So, other than the Rockaway Shuttle during the summer, all the other shuttles do not have a conductor.

And whoops, looking back at recent posts I thought you were talking about the conductor in the first place when you were talking about the train operator. Perhaps that's what got you confused. Sorry about that.

I can get easily confused in this forum.

Archived