Never again on LIRR

pjbr40

I went to Citi Field today May 22. I want to get back to Penn Station so I can catch my (Nj) Transit. I decided to take the (LIRR) for once. What a mistakes I made and never again I will for many reasons. 

1-- The walk to the (LIRR) was little longer then i expected. You have to climb the stairs and walk pass the (7) train storage yard on one side and bus on the other side. 

2-- By the time i got there about 420pm , there was only one line at ticketing office. A guy behind was piss as well which i couldnt disagree. There was a guy told that the ticket can be made with the conductor that is near the ticket office, of course he was wearing his uniform because there was some computer problem.

3-- It cost $9.50 for the two stop ride which add up to 20 minutes and a crowds with it at Ny Penn. I can travel in Nj for at least 50 miles for that price. 

4-- People took forever to go up 2 flights of stairs and at the same time people are coming down to board the train for Farmingdale.

To evaluate all this it not worth the money to go from Willet Point to Ny Penn. For some reason I was only in Ny Penn for 10 minutes because my train was about to leave as i got over to the (NjT) side. 

I can understand that Willet Point could be a premium stop like Newark Airport in NJ. The other could be if someone bypass the conductor and manage to try to get free ride between these two stop.  I can go for 6 stops in Nj for less then $9 dollars. Amazing how the (MTA) is such a ripoff.

What did you do, get the on-board fare? The ticket from Willets to NYP is 5.75, or 8 if you're traveling in peak direction during peak hours (which you weren't).

Beer and soda are ripoff prices at baseball games too, so do you try to steal drinks?

$9.50 is what it cost to ride LIRR within City limits, dont like it then ride the subway or the bus. Also if you bought your ticket before the game on your way there then you wouldnt have had to wait in line coming back from the game. For the walk if you dont like walking then I think you need to take a cab. End of the day it is what it is so if you wanna cry about it go right ahead. Also a ripoff is NJT bus fare zones please explain that one before you want to run your mouth on stuff you have no idea about.

$9.50 is what it cost to ride LIRR within City limits, dont like it then ride the subway or the bus. Also if you bought your ticket before the game on your way there then you wouldnt have had to wait in line coming back from the game. For the walk if you dont like walking then I think you need to take a cab. End of the day it is what it is so if you wanna cry about it go right ahead. Also a ripoff is NJT bus fare zones please explain that one before you want to run your mouth on stuff you have no idea about.

NJT is cheaper than it looks they have the largest service area of all american urban agencies.

$9.50 is what it cost to ride LIRR within City limits, dont like it then ride the subway or the bus.

Wrong. It's $5,75 from WP to Penn outside peak, like Snowblock already pointed out. $9,50 is when you pay onboard fare.

5.75 is 1 to 1 Off Peak. 

8.00 is 1 to 1 Peak 

7.00 is 1 to 3 Off Peak

9.50 is 1 to 3 Peak

None of those are on board prices- all are at station. The cheapest on board fare within NYC is zone 3 to 3 off peak which is $10 All on board fares are even dollar increments.  

Well it's like riding the Express buses for MTA and City Transit....they may cost $6, but you get the bang for the buck so to speak

/me is waiting for Via Girabaldi 8 to arrive lol. (he's our express bus guy)

I went to Citi Field today May 22. I want to get back to Penn Station so I can catch my (Nj) Transit. I decided to take the (LIRR) for once. What a mistakes I made and never again I will for many reasons. 

1-- The walk to the (LIRR) was little longer then i expected. You have to climb the stairs and walk pass the (7) train storage yard on one side and bus on the other side. 

2-- By the time i got there about 420pm , there was only one line at ticketing office. A guy behind was piss as well which i couldnt disagree. There was a guy told that the ticket can be made with the conductor that is near the ticket office, of course he was wearing his uniform because there was some computer problem.

3-- It cost $9.50 for the two stop ride which add up to 20 minutes and a crowds with it at Ny Penn. I can travel in Nj for at least 50 miles for that price. 

4-- People took forever to go up 2 flights of stairs and at the same time people are coming down to board the train for Farmingdale.

To evaluate all this it not worth the money to go from Willet Point to Ny Penn. For some reason I was only in Ny Penn for 10 minutes because my train was about to leave as i got over to the (NjT) side. 

I can understand that Willet Point could be a premium stop like Newark Airport in NJ. The other could be if someone bypass the conductor and manage to try to get free ride between these two stop.  I can go for 6 stops in Nj for less then $9 dollars. Amazing how the (MTA) is such a ripoff.

It absolutely is a ripoff... However, although I don't agree with it, I understand why they do it..... It's a way to get that much more money out of people for (going to/from) their entertainment.... Mets-willets point (a terminal station) is in zone 1, but zone 3 fares are charged because they know that station is utilized for the masses going to/from the game.... It's 1.50 more for every person that rides from penn or woodside - mutiply that by how many ppl. use the LIRR to go to Mets-willets point & that's what they're netting.....

It's the same reason Jamaica (also a terminal station) is in zone 3 instead of zone 1 - the MTA knows Jamaica is a highly utilized station.... So by charging zone 3 fares, they make more money that way (as opposed to having Jamaica in zone 1)..... They know exactly what they're doing.

With that said, at least you realize your mistake..... I wouldn't ever advocate taking the LIRR to CitiField.

$9.50 is what it cost to ride LIRR within City limits

That's a half-truth.....

$9.50 is what it costs if you're not riding from within the city terminal zone, within the city... 

In other words (for example):

- If I'm riding b/w Penn & Kew Gardens, that's 8 bucks peak, not $9.50... Both of those stations are in the city terminal zone...

- If I'm riding b/w Penn & Jamaica, that's $9.50 peak... Penn is in the city terminal zone, Jamaica is in zone 3...

The issue here (I guess) is more, the fact that the MTA charges zone 3 fares, even though Mets-Willets point is in the city terminal zone.....

Wrong. It's $5,75 from WP to Penn outside peak, like Snowblock already pointed out. $9,50 is when you pay onboard fare.

That $9.50 isn't an on-board fare of any kind, it's the zone 3 peak fare to zone 1 (or vice versa).....

According to this

* screenshot *

....which I find to be misleading (not on your part, but the MTA's part.... I wonder if the MTA's gotten any complaints about that yet) - It's not 8.00 peak to Mets-Willets point like the site shows, but 9.50 peak..... They should update that.

lol.... I don't know which one is more of a rip-off... The LIRR or NJT... 

If you ask me, traveling during off peak hours, it's NJT.... traveling in the peak direction, it's the LIRR....

If you ask me, traveling during off peak hours, it's NJT.... traveling in the peak direction, it's the LIRR....

I just find LIRR prices to be ridiculously expensive either way.  It's a pain to visit clients out there that's for sure.  One visit to a client can easily be $50.00 between the LIRR and car service and the tip.    <_<

I just find LIRR prices to be ridiculously expensive either way.  It's a pain to visit clients out there that's for sure.  One visit to a client can easily be $50.00 between the LIRR and car service and the tip.    <_<

Then what say you about NJT's fares?

Then what say you about NJT's fares?

LOL... I find them quite annoying.  I only use the express buses when I feel like shopping at the Garden State Plaza which is usually here or there when I'm the mood for the commute.  I usually get the 162 or the 163 and sometimes I'll use the commuter trains to go to some of the quaint towns like Summit or Millburn and I'll get car service to the Mall at Short Hills or something.  The fare zones annoy the hell out of me because I can never remember which zone applies to me  <_<  and on top of it they try to get every damn seat filled on the express buses.  It's like for what they charge, if I've got bags, I really don't feel like being squeezed up with some guy next to me.  NJT commuter trains aren't too bad, esp. getting to the NJPAC and they're certainly more comfortable and economic compared to the LIRR trains.  It's really quick from Penn Station there in Downtown Newark vs the PATH back to the city, that's for sure.

The prices for the NJT express bus have gone up considerably from what they were previously and what annoys me the most is when I go out there to the GSP and Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom or True Religion have absolutely nothing to my liking because all of the restaurants there pretty much suck so then I have to wait for the next bus (usually hourly) then schlepp back to the city cranky and hungry with nothing to show for it and try to find a good place to eat here.  <_<

I'm not aware of any "express buses" from NJT to GSP, unless you're talking about the Jitneys, yeah because they jam everybody up for maximum profit. I'd never ride those things. The 163 is a long, slow ride through downtowns, the 171 is faster but you have to contend with the GWB bus term which is a dump. LIRR fares per mile peak are higher than NJT's, especially after the fare hike. Still the S.Jersey fares to Toms River are a bit high after NJT's last fare hike, as it costs nearly $20 full fare each way to/from Toms River as an example. Fortunately for NJT reduced fares for the seniors and the disabled are honored at all times, LIRR PEAK AM trains make them pay full peak fare. So I still think LIRR is more of a ripoff. It gives NICE the extra business in the morning though, alot of ppl taking n6/n22/n24,etc to 179st for the F. But the E/F have their own problems with the severe crushloading at Roosevelt Ave. Most ppl won't deal with those conditions and pay the LIRR extortion fee.  :lol:

Waitaminute, according to the chart on the back of the Port Washington schedule (see http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branch/PortWashingtonBranch.pdf ), Willets Pt is zone 1. So the peak fare should be $8.00, not $9.50. What kind of scam is going on here, or is the OP just making up numbers to troll? Also, he said he got there at 4:20pm (that might explain why he sounds high), at which time inbound trains are OFF PEAK. So either you're making this whole thing up, or whoever sold you your ticket ripped you off by selling you a peak zone 3-1 ticket, when what you should have bought was a $5.75 OFF peak zone 1-1 ticket!!! But you probably think that's too expensive too.....

I'm not aware of any "express buses" from NJT to GSP, unless you're talking about the Jitneys, yeah because they jam everybody up for maximum profit. I'd never ride those things. 

Ah yeah Jitneys, that reminds me of one of your old vids where you were (IIRC) in Amagansett bashing the Hampton Jitneys lol :D Same company as Jitneys in NJT I guess, given they both carry same name?

I'm not aware of any "express buses" from NJT to GSP, unless you're talking about the Jitneys, yeah because they jam everybody up for maximum profit. I'd never ride those things. The 163 is a long, slow ride through downtowns, the 171 is faster but you have to contend with the GWB bus term which is a dump. LIRR fares per mile peak are higher than NJT's, especially after the fare hike. Still the S.Jersey fares to Toms River are a bit high after NJT's last fare hike, as it costs nearly $20 full fare each way to/from Toms River as an example. Fortunately for NJT reduced fares for the seniors and the disabled are honored at all times, LIRR PEAK AM trains make them pay full peak fare. So I still think LIRR is more of a ripoff. It gives NICE the extra business in the morning though, alot of ppl taking n6/n22/n24,etc to 179st for the F. But the E/F have their own problems with the severe crushloading at Roosevelt Ave. Most ppl won't deal with those conditions and pay the LIRR extortion fee.  :lol:

The 162 is an express and some 163's don't make all stops.  

The 162 is an express and some 163's don't make all stops.  

I'm not aware of any "express buses" from NJT to GSP, unless you're talking about the Jitneys, yeah because they jam everybody up for maximum profit. I'd never ride those things. The 163 is a long, slow ride through downtowns, the 171 is faster but you have to contend with the GWB bus term which is a dump.

That's because there aren't any.

The 163 has a couple variants:

- The buses that run from PABT to the bus terminal out in Ridgewood that serves union city.... These are the buses you're referring to when you say "long, slow ride..." (which I would agree)..... The 163 locals.....

- The buses that run from PABT straight to east rutherford....

- The buses that run from PABT straight to hackensack (this is also what the 162 does).... These are the 163 turnpike expresses

- The buses that run from PABT straight to ridgewood.... These are the 163 GSP expresses...

As far the 171, I agree the ride is quicker, thing is as you said, you gotta trek up to GWB to catch it....

That's because there aren't any.

The 163 has a couple variants:

- The buses that run from PABT to the bus terminal out in Ridgewood that serves union city.... These are the buses you're referring to when you say "long, slow ride..." (which I would agree)..... The 163 locals.....

- The buses that run from PABT straight to east rutherford....

- The buses that run from PABT straight to hackensack (this is also what the 162 does).... These are the 163 turnpike expresses

- The buses that run from PABT straight to ridgewood.... These are the 163 GSP expresses...

As far the 171, I agree the ride is quicker, thing is as you said, you gotta trek up to GWB to catch it....

The only thing I hate about the 162 is I don't use them that often and they don't leave you in the parking lot so you have to schlepp a bit to get to the GSP.  Other than that it's pretty good.  Would be nice if they had more 163 expresses though.  I've used them to Ridgewood as well and those are pretty quick.

Archived