question about diamond front route signs on NTT's

pelhamlocal

Are the (A) runs to Rockaway Park still designated as <A> in the timetable?  (so if the (A) ever gets NTT's (as they likely would at some point) they might need that designation then).

I'd be nice if the MTA could use that <> designation a little more, maybe using it to singal trians that short turn or go someplace only at certian times (i.e. the handful of (E) to 179th St during rush hours and the like)

Are the (A) runs to Rockaway Park still designated as <A> in the timetable? (so if the (A) ever gets NTT's (as they likely would at some point) they might need that designation then).

I'd be nice if the MTA could use that <> designation a little more, maybe using it to singal trians that short turn or go someplace only at certian times (i.e. the handful of (E) to 179th St during rush hours and the like)

The (A) to Rockaway Park uses the regular (A) bullet. The <A> was never officially used on trains

The (S) shuttle and the Rockway Park (A) are the same thing in the Rockaways. They label it (A). That picture is probably an (S) during the summer (remember both (A) and (S) trains Utilize Broad Channel).

The picture was taken in September so no, not in the summer. If you Google around you can find more pictures of the (S) to Rockaway Park outside of summer.

September is mostly summer, so it depends, if it was before the end of summer (20-21) then that explains it

But there are various pictures appearing Google Images of the (S) to Rockaway Park in other seasons... How come then? Is it occasionally used or sometimes displayed as an (S) on purpose?

But there are various pictures appearing Google Images of the (S) to Rockaway Park in other seasons... How come then? Is it occasionally used or sometimes displayed as an (S) on purpose?

That's because the (A) train specials are NOT the same as the Rockaway Park (S) shuttle. They are two different things.

because the version that doesnt run to Manhattan is called (S), the one that goes up to Manhattan follows the (A), so it's called (A).

because the version that doesnt run to Manhattan is called (S), the one that goes up to Manhattan follows the (A), so it's called (A).

Now I'm confused. When is it called the (S) and when not?

Here it does list it as the (S), just like on the pictures.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/sline.htm#rockaway

And here it says so too: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/thcur.pdf

The (A) to Rockaway Park is a rush hour variant of the (A) train that runs from Manhattan to Rockaway Park. That's why it has the (A) bullet. The Rockaway Park (S) shuttle just runs between Rockaway Park and Broad Channel.

Here's an Instagram shot of one of the Rock Park (A)s at Rock Park.

4dd3eb4ec96f11e285a622000a1f9e5b_7.jpg

Do all NTT's have both a normal local ( ) and < > route shapes on the front, or is it just the 142A's, because that's all i've seen them on, specifically on the 6? thnx sry if its a stupid question

The R160s include a diamond... the R160 in this video glitched to a <M> instead of (M)

Yes, they have the diamond layouts. Not as if they would be used on anything other than the 142s and 188s.

Well if the MTA ever does decide to create a Culver Express service then I would presume it would be labeled as <F>. This would probably be the only possibility where the R160s used the diamond symbol

Now I'm confused. When is it called the (S) and when not?

Here it does list it as the (S), just like on the pictures.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/sline.htm#rockaway

And here it says so too: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/thcur.pdf

This (S) is always the (S)... except when it's the (H).

The Rockaway Park (A)s are (A)s that run to Rockaway Park instead of Far Rockaway in suplement to the (S). They only run in the peak direction, and give Rockaway Park riders a one seat to/from manhattan, to make up for having the shuttle under normal cirmcustances. 5 trains to Mahattan in the morning, and 5 back in the evening. All but the last are 168th street put-ins.

These are distinct, seperate lines. If the shuttle went all the way to manhattan, then it wouldn't be a shuttle.

I downvoted all of the false information being given in this thread. Mostly coming from the same person over and over.

The (A) to Rockaway Park is the (A) (also informally referred to as the SHOWCASE). There is NO <A> in use ANYWHERE, nor is it called or signed as a (S) !

Also, since it continuously keeps coming up here, ALL (A) 's that run to Rock Park start at 168 St, and all AM (A) 's that come out of Rock Park run to 207 St like any other (A) . At NO POINT do trains go in or out of service at 59 St!!!!!

Anyway, getting back to the original question - the 142, 142A, and 160 are all capable of displaying diamond bullets, but will only do so if the route is programmed that way. The only active route programs which use it are if the (6) is running express in the Bronx, or if the (7) is running express in Queens.

I downvoted all of the false information being given in this thread. Mostly coming from the same person over and over.

The (A) to Rockaway Park is the (A) (also informally referred to as the SHOWCASE). There is NO <A> in use ANYWHERE, nor is it called or signed as a (S) !

Also, since it continuously keeps coming up here, ALL (A) 's that run to Rock Park start at 168 St, and all AM (A) 's that come out of Rock Park run to 207 St like any other (A) . At NO POINT do trains go in or out of service at 59 St!!!!!

Anyway, getting back to the original question - the 142, 142A, and 160 are all capable of displaying diamond bullets, but will only do so if the route is programmed that way. The only active route programs which use it are if the (6) is running express in the Bronx, or if the (7) is running express in Queens.

I always thought they went to Dyckman...well you learn something new every day

There are some (A) trains that do terminated at 168th or Dyckman Streets from what I've seen at the AM Rush. Reverse goes true southbound at the PM Rush. I assume 207th Street can't handle all those frequent (A) service during the rush hour periods.

Well, then what were those (S) trains doing in the Rockaways? You can find the pictures real easily.

Archived