Is it really SO difficult?

Part of the issue is that the NYC system runs 24/7, and most if not all of these other systems don't. When can the tracks be cleaned? We could talk about cleaning the tracks until we all run blue in the face, but I don't see this possible unless you shut the tracks down for a period of time and clean everything. You can say that the local tracks should then run express, but that is not feasible when talking about a line like the  (J) or (L), to name two.

Good ol Fast Track man. For now. That's the only way the MTA can do it, as you highlighted for us that the system runs live around the clock 365 days a year. (As I stated, I'm sure the MTA would have thought of something better a long time ago) The question should be (ahem VG8, Minatu): How is the other Metro systems in other countries doing it and what the (MTA) can learn from this to improve standards. All ears on this question.

Good ol Fast Track man. For now. That's the only way the MTA can do it, as you highlighted for us that the system runs live around the clock 365 days a year. (As I stated, I'm sure the MTA would have thought of something better a long time ago) The question should be (ahem VG8, Minatu): How is the other Metro systems in other countries doing it and what the (MTA) can learn from this to improve standards. All ears on this question.

I dunno all countries but the ones I mentioned (Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Belgium) close overnight so plenty of time to clean.

Oh I forgot though: there's also 1 subway-like line Utrecht. It's really clean but that's to be expected from 1 line. Also closes overnight so plenty of time to clean.

Milan being dirtier than Naples??!?! LMAO! I've never heard such a thing before.  Where exactly were you at that was so dirty??

The part in bold is definitely true.

No, Naples is dirtier than Milan but the subway of Naples is cleaner than the subway of Milan.

No, Naples is dirtier than Milan but the subway of Naples is cleaner than the subway of Milan.

I find that hard to believe.  Everything I used in Milan was clean. The Milanese always have to show themselves as being superior to Southern Italy so I'm shocked that the trains were dirty when you've encountered them.  If anything any sort of train I've used going to Milan has been clean.  Going to Naples however, the train was also an hour late and the stalls were absolutely FILTHY, but not shocking.  Another way of showing the North is "better" than the South.  :lol:

I dunno all countries but the ones I mentioned (Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Belgium) close overnight so plenty of time to clean.

Oh I forgot though: there's also 1 subway-like line Utrecht. It's really clean but that's to be expected from 1 line. Also closes overnight so plenty of time to clean.

Totally forgot about that completely (minds a bit coulded with the problems i'm experiencing lately and it's taking it's toll but lets forget that, not the point of the thread). If I'm correct the MTA transit system is the only one of the kind that it runs around the clock (as Q10 reminded those not in the know new to the site from around the world who visit this website), correct? Not sure about the Paris metro, I went on the site and I cannot understand it because I can't read in French to make out the site. Wished I could.

Totally forgot about that completely (minds a bit coulded with the problems i'm experiencing lately and it's taking it's toll but lets forget that, not the point of the thread). If I'm correct the MTA transit system is the only one of the kind that it runs around the clock (as Q10 reminded those not in the know new to the site from around the world who visit this website), correct? Not sure about the Paris metro, I went on the site and I cannot understand it because I can't read in French to make out the site. Wished I could.

Non, service ne fait pas opérer la journée entière. Le premier trajets partir arobase 05:00 et le trajet finale est d'au 1:00.

No, service does not operate all day. The first trips depart at around 5:00am, and the last trips depart at around 1:00am. Simplified, there is a four hour break in service.

Tokyo Metro may run around the clock (not too sure, ask mtattrain for better info) but Japan is a whole nother animal when it comes to rail service, so we normally exclude that from conversations about train service.

I agree about Japan. And honestly, the thought of riding Tokyo Metro, Toei Subway, and JR East makes me kinda excited.

Japan also gave me the idea of a sim that combines Simutrans, SimCity, Cities in Motion, Transport Tycoon and the like into this Mother of all Transport and City building simulators that would take me an entire page to explain here.

In my opinion, it's mostly a matter of perception. When one perceives something as being clean I don't think they'll litter. For example, many areas in Athens are dumps because people act like animals, but the metro looks like this

DSC02407.jpg

The same people who use the streets use the metro, but they don't litter. They respect it. This is what's lacking here in NYC.

I've always been a cynical man, even back when I was alive. But despite that, I can be foolishly optimistic about things. And it has yet to be proven wrong. Times change as well as the attitudes of people. All that's needed is the right catalyst for that change..

I agree about Japan. And honestly, the thought of riding Tokyo Metro, Toei Subway, and JR East makes me kinda excited.

Japan also gave me the idea of a sim that combines Simutrans, SimCity, Cities in Motion, Transport Tycoon and the like into this Mother of all Transport and City building simulators that would take me an entire page to explain here.

That exists. I think the game is called A-Train.

A properly cleaned subway makes more respectfull passengers

Tokyo Metro may run around the clock (not too sure, ask mtattrain for better info) but Japan is a whole nother animal when it comes to rail service, so we normally exclude that from conversations about train service.

No, Tokyo metro service terminates at midnight.

Infact the last service is quite early when compared with many other systems.

A properly cleaned subway makes more respectfull passengers

No, Tokyo metro service terminates at midnight.

Infact the last service is quite early when compared with many other systems.

Nope. Tokyo metro service terminates at 1AM.

This city has 8 million people living in it and millions more visiting and leaving everyday.

Imagine you could harness the power of those 8 million people to do the opposite of vandalizing, littering, and farebeating.

On second thought, maybe it is the attitude many New Yorkers have about garbage. I had to pick up garbage from my sidewalk, including bones that attracted flies. Disgusting. If the subway were treated half as poorly as my walkway, the subway would be unclean.

On second thought, maybe it is the attitude many New Yorkers have about garbage. I had to pick up garbage from my sidewalk, including bones that attracted flies. Disgusting. If the subway were treated half as poorly as my walkway, the subway would be unclean.

LOL... You usually find chicken bones in the ghetto areas of the city on the subway trains or streets.  :lol:

Archived