No Bus Stop for the N2/N8 at Merrick Rd. & Hook Creek Boulevard

TDXNYC88

I was at Green Acres Mall 2 days ago, and I recently noticed the N1/N2/N8 stop around there. Being that the Q5 just left a few minutes after I arrived at the stop, I decided to go with the alternative option of taking the N2 to Merrick Rd. to transfer to the N4 since that bus was much faster running down Merrick compared to the TA buses.

When the N2 arrived, I asked the driver if he was stopping at Merrick and Hook Creek, to which he replied, "No. Did you notice that there aren't any bus stops around there?" I got off the N2 and decided to wait for the Q5. I was a bit skeptical about that statement, because that area was a HUGE transfer point for the Q5/N4/X63. I then looked up the N2/N8 schedule only to find out that Merrick Rd. and Hook Creek IS a stop on that bus despite the fact that there was no clear bus stop to designate that. I just want to know what NICE's take is on the issue. Do they tell N2/N8 drivers to skip that stop, or was it blatant ignorance on the driver's part?

Bus Driver is supposed to be stopping there because I have taken n2/n8 during April 8th service change.

n2 is suppose to drop-off/peak-up passengers on Hook Creek Blvd-City Line and it's open-door policy in Queens along Hook Creek Blvd-City Line.

That male bus driver did not follow the rule.

I have taken n2 bus to Hook Creek Blvd/Merrick Blvd with old driver from MTA LIB and transfer easily to n4 bus.

Well keep one thing in mind, since the N8 was created...there has been ONE bus stop that has been installed. That bus stop is on the corner of Hook Creek Blvd and 130th Av. Now the interesting thing about that stop is that the NASSAU side was installed by MTA Long Island Bus (I think) and the QUEENS side was installed by NYC DOT. Therefore, if NICE did not inform the NYC DOT about the changes (N2/N8 combo), then that COULD be a reason why there's no stop.

Glad you brought this issue up because I wondered the same thing about Hook Creek Blvd and Merrick Blvd myself.

Well keep one thing in mind, since the N8 was created...there has been ONE bus stop that has been installed. That bus stop is on the corner of Hook Creek Blvd and 130th Av. Now the interesting thing about that stop is that the NASSAU side was installed by MTA Long Island Bus (I think) and the QUEENS side was installed by NYC DOT. Therefore, if NICE did not inform the NYC DOT about the changes (N2/N8 combo), then that COULD be a reason why there's no stop.

Glad you brought this issue up because I wondered the same thing about Hook Creek Blvd and Merrick Blvd myself.

There was n2 sticker covering n8 Northbound bus stop sign while there was sign for n8 bus stop. I have seen it.

I'll be honest, That's one of those stops that depends on the driver you have. Some will stop there, some won't. Yeah, you could tell NICE about the issue, but half the drivers don't listen to or don't understand what management says anyway.

I have noticed that with both NICE and SCT drivers that seeing no sign = no stop EVEN when the bus announces the stop.  They will just keep driving to the next stop.  I have noticed that the most professional and senior drivers (not always one in the same, a senior driver isn't always the most professional and some newbies have been some of the most professional I have encountered at LIB and NICE) will know the stop whether there is a stop or not.

I have seen emergency personnel (fire fighters, cops) and tow truck drivers cutting down signs at the base of the metal pole  and the sidewalk at accident scenes when a car ends up on the sidewalk to either help get easier access to the victims in the car or to help pull the car when it is time to tow it away.  They either take the sign (pole and all with them) or leave it on the sidewalk, either way, in most cases the sign never goes back up whether.  This all types of signs from no parking, to a bus stop sign, to no turn on red (scary), I noticed a no turn on red get cut down on a side road at Merrick Road in Massapequa, it took months before it was replaced.  I wonder if some bus stop signs have been cut down at certain areas and never replaced or if NICE or (MTA) decided to 86 the stop for safety reasons.

The n2/8 has a timepoint for that stop on the schedule, dont know why it didnt stop there.

MTA LIB had and NICE has a timepoint listed for the n19 at Broadway/Rt 110 and Merrick Rd. in Amityville but the eastbound bus does not stop at that intersection they stop a block up (I dunno if the stop is announced on the clever system bc I am usually not on the bus then).  I assume there is no stops due to safety concerns , Merrick Rd. in Amityville is one lane in each direction unlike the rest of stretch of Merrick Rd./Montauk HWY that the n19 travels on which has two lanes in each direction.  Because the intersection is busy and cars can't pass I assume they don't want buses stopping which is odd because the westbound stop seems to stop in more of dangerous place, passing the 110 intersection stopping about a bus length after the intersection (in traffic, no shoulder to pull over in).  It's one lane so if cars are waiting in the left turn lane in the opposite direction cars can't get around the bus so of course they block the intersection so the cars can't turn left onto 110, traffic is backing up in both directions causing a huge mess.  Or there will be no one in the left turn lane and cars will shoot around the bus (the turn lane they are using ends leaving them speeding in the opposite lane) playing chicken with oncoming traffic who probably also isn't paying attention.

I've heard superiors using it in different work environments, it was kind of catchy and easier than saying, get rid of, cancel, don't do etc. "86 xyz..." just became easier, for me anyway.

I was visiting a friend who works in a restaurant recently and saw a marker board by the kitchen door that said "86 list" and if the kitchen ran out of something or weren't doing something they'd write it on the "86 list."  A pretty cool way of communicating these things to the wait staff, so they would know ahead of time (with having to tell everyone individually) and not have to take an order then have to go back afterwards and tell them they didn't have what they wanted.  

Maybe it was one of those stops that are actually a block away from the actual transfer point. I've noticed that with some xfer points like at Hempstead turnpike and Meacham ave the westbound n6 stop is actually a block east from meacham

Oh you still could've transferred to the n4.

I complained about the missing bus stop at Merrick & Hook Creek when I worked the N4. Unfortunately it went in one ear & out the other. Supposedly it was blamed on NYC,saying it was there responsibility, being it was on the Nassau/Queens border. There are also some long gaps on the s/b side of Hook Creek north of Merrick on the N8(which is on NYC side)with no signage, where there should be stops.

This has been an issue since the N8 was created. I'm surprised nothing has happened yet.  Not having a stop decreases the usefulness of the N2/N8 loop.  

Maybe these transit agencies don't realize, but the more connections you can make the more riders and discretional trips you can get.  Some riders don't like transferring, but some will transfer multiple times if it's quicker/more direct/ convenient/ etc. 

Question is... Has this issue been happening all this time even when the MTA operated?

You would think LIB had more pull considering they were part of the (MTA) they could probably make a call to another division and get it done, who knows what the process is like for NCIE to get a sign up in NYC.

@N6 Limited: But NICE/Nassau can't put signs wherever they want on the Queens side so it's the NYCDOT's/(MTA)'s responsibility.

The signs shouldn't matter too much. Just tell drivers to stop there at either before or after the intersection, depending on where passengers are waiting, where they want to get off , or if there is a connecting N4/Q85 on the same side, The N8 is not busy enough were it will slow down the route.

The signs shouldn't matter too much. Just tell drivers to stop there at either before or after the intersection, depending on where passengers are waiting, where they want to get off , or if there is a connecting N4/Q85 on the same side, The N8 is not busy enough were it will slow down the route.

The Q85 doesn't stop at that intersection.

Archived