(B) and (D) express service

Via Garibaldi 8

This may be a bit off-topic, but in my honest opinion, the (B) is the least reliable train. The (B) seems to serve both delight and disappointment for those travelling between Brooklyn and Manhattan; which one you'll get depends on the flip of a coin.

Depends on the time of day, I've been getting great luck with the (B) going uptown from Kings Highway in the morning.  But once noon hits, the (Q) doesn't align with the arrival with the (B) at Kings Highway anymore.  Basically in the morning the (Q) arrives then shortly a (B) but this is reversed once noon hits.

For the past couple of weeks and the rest of November, Manhattan bound (B) and (Q) trains are running at much slower speeds from around Newkirk avenue to Prospect Park due to falling leaves. Because of this, both lines will have late arrivals into Dekalb which will probably lead to some movement conflicts there.

For the past couple of weeks and the rest of November, Manhattan bound (B) and (Q) trains are running at much slower speeds from around Newkirk avenue to Prospect Park due to falling leaves. Because of this, both lines will have late arrivals into Dekalb which will probably lead to some movement conflicts there.

We had this same problem on the BMT Sea Beach Line which lead to many complaints. One of the reasons for the past weekday (N) GO's in the early fall was so that contractors can cut back the shrubbery growing over the benchwalls causing debris to fall onto the tracks and obstructing the view of the T/O's manning the trains therby mitigating the safety hazards it can cause.

Apparently this year they could not catch up to the BMT Brighton Line to take care of the landscaping there along the open cut route.

The Straphanger's Campaign has published a report based on the performance of the lines discussed based on overall  conditions of lines and performance. A major point has to do with delays attributed to breakdowns of currently in service revenue cars as revealed by 2011 MBDF data. I'll list them here:

(B): http://straphangers.org/statesub12/Bprofile.pdf

(Q): http://straphangers.org/statesub12/Qprofile.pdf

The (B) ranks 14th best out of 19 lines for overall performance. Yikes!

Meanwhile accoding to the data the  (Q) is the best running line in the entire system in terms of on time performance, cleniness, and low breakdowns. That confirms the observations made by us on the BMT Brighton line with regards to the 6th Ave/Brighton Exp service being substandard.

Things that were noted were the 6th Ave Express/Brighton Exp suffers from a less than average MDBF (165,743 as compared to the MBDF average of 172,700) as compered to the other lines when compared with the other 4 to be listed below. Meanwhile the Broadway Express/Brighton Local scores way higher in terms of system breakdowns by a long shot - (MBDF of 690,702 against the average of 172,700) . 

(D): http://straphangers.org/statesub12/Dprofile.pdf

(N): http://straphangers.org/statesub12/Nprofile.pdf

The two routes are tied at 10th place for overall performance. One thing to note that the MBDF on the Broadway Lcl/Sea Beach Exp is way above standard as the (Q) when compared with the (D) with with and MBDF of 441,674 compared to the average of 172,700. The (D) suffers from more breakdowns with a MBDF of 139,041 against the average, however the (D) is slightly better with on time arrivals then the (N).

So apparently it's not just dispatching problems on the BMT Brighton, BMT 4th Ave, 6th Ave IND or the CPW IND, Dekalb interlocking, or the 59th/145th Street interlockings that the T/Ds struggle with. Its additionally the more frequent breakdowns of the R68's that compound the problems described by many in this discussion for obvious reasons being that the 75 footer SMEE's and the age compared to the 60' NTT's .

The problem is that with the (E) and (F) having the shortest scheduled headways in the system (every 2 min), it's ridiculously easy for delays to knock back.

It is unrealistic to schedule the complex B Division in such a way that trains on every segment of the system will be evenly spaced apart, all the time. Something has to give at some point.

You're right bobthepanda...

I've finally realized this after the flaws I proposed on the (N)(Q)(R) in a thread months back...the bottlenecks may be problematic but cutting service is not the answer when talking about frequencies based on ridership levels...

Wait, in what universe have they held trains to meet at Union? I want to live in that universe - Union is the station where, more often that not, one train pulls in just as another closes its doors.

The E and F come so frequently that they really don't need to bother with holding trains at Union IMO - 4 minutes never killed anybody.

They Do hold Echos at Union Turnpike Southbound.

I should Know first Hand.

I don't even want to start a thread on that. Anything goes with compliance with speed restrictions. I've been on a (B) which left with the (Q) at Brighton Beach. "Lucky me," I thought until I realized that this train operator was taking the restriction too seriously after hitting Avenue H. He was going at the same speed that I would be going at on a bicycle in a children's playground. The (Q) caught up shortly after Newkirk Avenue and pretty much bypassed us all the way to Prospect Park. In the short stretch between Newkirk Avenue and Church Avenue, I could also overhear some bearly audible argument between the train operator and the conductor.

I don't even want to start a thread on that. Anything goes with compliance with speed restrictions. I've been on a (B) which left with the (Q) at Brighton Beach. "Lucky me," I thought until I realized that this train operator was taking the restriction too seriously after hitting Avenue H. He was going at the same speed that I would be going at on a bicycle in a children's playground. The (Q) caught up shortly after Newkirk Avenue and pretty much bypassed us all the way to Prospect Park. In the short stretch between Newkirk Avenue and Church Avenue, I could also overhear some bearly audible argument between the train operator and the conductor.

Maybe there was a reason he was taking the restriction seriously. Leaves on the tracks + wet rails + R68A = nasty slip-n-slide out of the station. 

This comes from a T/O that almost took a train out of Beverly Rd with wet rails. 

Maybe there was a reason he was taking the restriction seriously. Leaves on the tracks + wet rails + R68A = nasty slip-n-slide out of the station. 

This comes from a T/O that almost took a train out of Beverly Rd with wet rails. 

They're highly inconsistent then. The (B) and (Q) are literally right next to each other, yet the (Q) can move along at full speed. On the first day this speed restriction was in effect, the (B) went ahead at full speed while the (Q) was crawling. During subsequent rides though, I've found that the (B) is often the slower of the two. On one trip, the conductor/train operator on the (B) had to berate the train operator on the (Q) at Church Avenue for speeding along the segment. That didn't change anything though, because the (Q) zipped right up to Parkside Avenue (where it was only stopped by red signals).

It is extremely rare at Kings Highway that you have a (B) and (Q) at the same time, and the (Q) catches up to the (B) at Newkirk. What is more common is that in the PM rush, the (B) and (Q) can technically make a transfer at Newkirk, but the (Q) is too slow pulling out of Beverly and that (B) is gone.

They're highly inconsistent then. The (B) and (Q) are literally right next to each other, yet the (Q) can move along at full speed. On the first day this speed restriction was in effect, the (B) went ahead at full speed while the (Q) was crawling. During subsequent rides though, I've found that the (B) is often the slower of the two. On one trip, the conductor/train operator on the (B) had to berate the train operator on the (Q) at Church Avenue for speeding along the segment. That didn't change anything though, because the (Q) zipped right up to Parkside Avenue (where it was only stopped by red signals).

I haven't operated over there since Slow Speed Orders went into effect, so I can't tell you what the story is over there. 

Archived