MTA reducing 2015, 2017 fare hikes

Harry

If only you knew dude, if only you knew.

Im not your Dude...  

RTOMan works fine thanks!

I know its not pretty out there chit going haywire.

Issues.com

I know Turbo 19 pretty well. He did not say that in an offensive way in the least. If you felt offended by that, then in his behalf I apologize if you felt offended by the statement.

That being said I can understand that the way the MTA is run, it is like a paramilitary organization. One of your fellow employees stated that and it gave me the wake up call. Being a T/O is not an easy job at all, and I have heard much of what they go through which is not fun, and I can relate.

The MTA may be expensive base fare wise, but considering the fare for subways/buses have nothing to do with distance traveled... its a pretty damn good deal. Many other cities in the US have the distance based system which screws over people from further parts of those cities. $2.50 to go from Manhattan to Long Island (for example) is pretty damn good to me...

Oh please.  We're an area of the US where the majority of the residents depend upon public transit.  Transportation in this city should be cheap because if it wasn't and people were forced to drive in there would be total chaos.  Our economy depends on it as well otherwise you'd have total gridlock.  

TWU is the largest one, so they essentially set the tone for negotiations.

No they Dont...

TWU may be the largest Union but its the least respected. So how can a union who gets such little respect Set the Tone?

Anyone who works down here who posts here can back me up on that.

Oh please.  We're an area of the US where the majority of the residents depend upon public transit.  Transportation in this city should be cheap because if it wasn't and people were forced to drive in there would be total chaos.  Our economy depends on it as well otherwise you'd have total gridlock.  

Yet some Folks still bellyache about a 2 dollar and fifty cent fare...

I know Turbo 19 pretty well. He did not say that in an offensive way in the least. If you felt offended by that, then in his behalf I apologize if you felt offended by the statement.

That being said I can understand that the way the MTA is run, it is like a paramilitary organization. One of your fellow employees stated that and it gave me the wake up call. Being a T/O is not an easy job at all, and I have heard much of what they go through which is not fun, and I can relate.

Nah its cool im not offended at all.

Yet some Folks still bellyache about a 2 dollar and fifty cent fare...

Quite frankly I don't blame them.  The quality of service has become steadily worse, not better and that needs to change. For higher fares, there should be some level of efficiency expected.  I look at my current commute... $6.00 each way via the express bus or $55/week for the Unlimited Express Bus Plus Metrocard and my commute is becoming longer and longer.  I don't mind paying more but Iet's see some relief.  The subways are sardine cans most of the day now and the stations are filthy, as are the subway cars whenever I use them in Manhattan.  Hire more cleaners to keep things cleaner and get more cops on the platforms to get rid of these damn panhandlers! If they can't put NYPD cops on the beat then hire some retired police offers to patrol the subways and platforms so that we working folks can get to where we're going in peace.  Seems like no matter when I use the subway of late there is always some panhandler about.  It's even worse than I can remember.

Yes..and yes..the roads are bad enough with all these traffic.

In agreement. One of the major problems however is he money wrangling in our state capitol over the years. They can never seem to pass a budget on time. I suspect this because of how history ran its course.

Back in 2010 Albany delivered taxes that, when the economy went haywire, didn't meet MTA needs to keep the system in good working order in respects to maintainance and service. In effect they stole $143 million in transit money to balance its disaster of a fiscal budget. On top of that the legislators only came forward only two years of capital funding, not the five they initially pledged to, ripping all of us off.

The MTA faced with a with a growing gap turned to cuts in service, now its turned to fare hikes.

Then the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy to the transit system which esasperated the financial problems. Its actually impressive to see that the MTA has shaped up promising service increases next year with a softening of the fare hike hit despite this filibustering of budgets to pass and the political games being played at the state level.

Why even in regards to MTA employees their health benefits and retirement packages are being under threat of being nixed, it started happening already with some retirees out of health benefit coverage and huge cuts to their retirement packages. So the news is MTA workers and straphangers alike are suffering from the games up in Albany which the City Of New Yok has only bare minimum control over unless city officials advocate against this current fiscal policy being created and continues to be enforced in Albany.

In agreement. One of the major problems however is he money wrangling in our state capitol over the years. They can never seem to pass a budget on time. I suspect this because of how history ran its course.

Back in 2010 Albany delivered taxes that, when the economy went haywire, didn't meet MTA needs to keep the system in good working order in respects to maintainance and service. In effect they stole $143 million in transit money to balance its disaster of a fiscal budget. On top of that the legislators only came forward only two years of capital funding, not the five they initially pledged to, ripping all of us off.

The MTA faced with a with a growing gap turned to cuts in service, now its turned to tax hikes.

Then the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy to the transit system which esasperated the financial problems. Its actually impressive to see that the MTA has shaped up promising service increases next year with a softening of the fare hike hit despite this filibustering of budgets to pass and the political games being played at the state level.

Why even in regards to MTA employees their health benefits and retirement packages are being under threat of being nixed, it started happening already with some retirees out of health benefit coverage and huge cuts to their retirement packages. So the news is MTA workers and straphangers alike are suffering from the games up in Albany which the City Of New Yok has only bare minimum control over unless city officials advocate against this current fiscal policy being created and continues to be enforced in Albany.

Well if pensions and healthcare costs (the two things that the (MTA) has no control over) keep skyrocketing, something will have to give at some point.  I predict $3.00+ fares by 2017 either way.

Yes..and yes..the roads are bad enough with all these traffic.

Yeah and potholes and such...

Well if pensions and healthcare costs (the two things that the (MTA) has no control over) keep skyrocketing, something will have to give at some point.  I predict $3.00+ fares by 2017 either way.

Yeah and potholes and such...

Indeed. As the saying goes it is f**ked up all around and goes way beyond the MTA and the city. This can be stemming from an overall statewide problem if not from a national level concerning out of control rising rates of inflation.

Quite frankly I don't blame them.  The quality of service has become steadily worse, not better and that needs to change. For higher fares, there should be some level of efficiency expected.  I look at my current commute... $6.00 each way via the express bus or $55/week for the Unlimited Express Bus Plus Metrocard and my commute is becoming longer and longer.  I don't mind paying more but Iet's see some relief.  The subways are sardine cans most of the day now and the stations are filthy, as are the subway cars whenever I use them in Manhattan.  Hire more cleaners to keep things cleaner and get more cops on the platforms to get rid of these damn panhandlers! If they can't put NYPD cops on the beat then hire some retired police offers to patrol the subways and platforms so that we working folks can get to where we're going in peace.  Seems like no matter when I use the subway of late there is always some panhandler about.  It's even worse than I can remember.

Well they have Older equipment out there you know. 

Quite a few Lines have New Tech trains so your "Quality" comment needs to be thought out a bit better.

Also those express buses travel on roads with traffic with potholes, that should be the City of New York's Problem not the MTAs. 

Here is a tibit the MTA is looking to "Lessen" their workforce not add to it.

As for the Panhandlers  hey it does annoy some folks yes but this brings one back to the 2.50 cent fare.

We cant even get the cops to throw out homeless folks who sit in our operating car and smell like holy hell. 

Unless you folks want service like Metro North and the L.I.R.R, high fares a decent on time performance and no panhandlers or homeless folks.

Well they have Older equipment out there you know. 

Quite a few Lines have New Tech trains so your "Quality" comment needs to be thought out a bit better.

Also those express buses travel on roads with traffic with potholes, that should be the City of New York's Problem not the MTAs. 

Here is a tibit the MTA is looking to "Lessen" their workforce not add to it.

As for the Panhandlers  hey it does annoy some folks yes but this brings one back to the 2.50 cent fare.

We cant even get the cops to throw out homeless folks who sit in our operating car and smell like holy hell. 

Unless you folks want service like Metro North and the L.I.R.R, high fares a decent on time performance and no panhandlers or homeless folks.

Hey I use Metro-North to and from Riverdale and have no problem paying the higher fare.  I would use taxis in the city but it's pointless to sit in traffic and pay for it, so the subway is basically the only way.  As for the trains, even the newer cars can be rather dirty, though I do prefer them.  For example, I'll take the (2) over the (3) where possible.  Brighter and cleaner cars for the most part and for some reason, I see more bums on the (3) particularly above 42nd street. lol

The express buses is something that the (MTA) should be working on with the DOT to study signal priority.  We spend too much time stuck with red lights more than anything else.  In fact that may be something that I may speak about with my community board at the next transportation meeting.  I was speaking with a fellow Riverdalian the other morning waiting for the BxM1 and she's been living in Riverdale since before we had express buses (circa 1959).  She mentioned how it was her and a few others that got together to form a committee if you will to get bus service to and from Riverdale and they had a little service going. Then Liberty came in and saw how prosperous the service could be and from there you had other communities in two fare zones clamoring for express bus service and now you have numerous communities with express bus service throughout the city.  I applaud all of the Super Express bus service, but we need service that is quicker so that we're not sitting around in traffic as much.  More bus lanes and traffic signal priority is a must considering that we'll be paying well over $6.00 by 2017 each way.

Hey I use Metro-North to and from Riverdale and have no problem paying the higher fare.  I would use taxis in the city but it's pointless to sit in traffic and pay for it, so the subway is basically the only way.  As for the trains, even the newer cars can be rather dirty, though I do prefer them.  For example, I'll take the (2) over the (3) where possible.  Brighter and cleaner cars for the most part and for reason I see more bums on the (3) particularly above 42nd street. lol

The express buses is something that the (MTA) should be working on with the DOT to study signal priority.  We spend too much time stuck with red lights more than anything else.  In fact that may be something that I may speak about with my community board at the next transportation meeting.  I was speaking with a fellow Riverdalian the other morning waiting for the BxM1 and she's been living in Riverdale since before we had express buses (circa 1959).  She mentioned how it was her and a few others that got together to form a committee if you will to get bus service to and from Riverdale and they had a little service going. Then Liberty came in and saw how prosperous the service could be and from there you had other communities in two fare zones clamoring for express bus service and now you have numerous communities with express bus service throughout the city.  I applaud all of the Super Express bus service, but we need service that is quicker so that we're not sitting around in traffic as much.  More bus lanes and traffic signal priority is a must considering that we'll be paying well over $6.00 by 2017 each way.

See the difference is you don't mind paying the extra money for better service.

You aren't alone either i know folks up here in Westchester who feel the same way.

I cannot argue that point at all. The thing is folks want their cake and eat it as well.

You cant have squeaky clean subways and trains and expect fares to not be affected.

It also has a lot to do with the Mindset of folks as well.(I wont bother getting into that here because that's a Off Topic Discussion).

You cant have squeaky clean subways and trains and expect fares to not be affected.

It also has a lot to do with the Mindset of folks as well.(I wont bother getting into that here because that's a Off Topic Discussion).

Now if only the governer of NYS and the assemblymen in Albany will realize that with the next pending budget considring their minset. If they did not pull off the greedy stunt that they did the service cuts (that the MTA is trying to make amends for now) would have never happened. It's good however the MTA executive comittee out of concern for it's customers are lowering the hit of the farehikes which is reasonable in my book. MTA public relation policies in action here.

Still , its an increase.

Why are fares so high with the MTA? Does the MTA get subsidies or other funding, or is it relying on fares most of the time?

Here with the RTA/PACE/CTA/Metra, the subway and bus fares are comparable, but the commuter rail fares are much much lower.

Just a random question, I dont know how you guys can take the fare hikes.

I'll preface this with the following: there hasn't been that many fare increases in the CTA's history, and the fares have started to increase drastically since 2004-06. Metra (our commuter rail) hasn't had a massive fare increase in years (2012 being the most recent AND drastic). The MTA attempts to make amends to the budget where they can, and have fare increases where it paces the rates of inflation. Not only does Chicago not meet the same farebox revenue, most of them (aside from Pace) aren't necessarily good with budgets either (I think we only have one set of books). 

I won't even start debating the merits of Ventra and the impact of non-communication between the service boards (which explains why the politicians want to merge EVERYONE under the sun of the RTA. Again, not the post to talk about this).

The fares here are comparable, but at the same time, we get what we pay for (and if you ride the Red Line North, you'd be willing to pay a little more). Good to hear/read that you guys aren't facing another drastic increase.

Hey I use Metro-North to and from Riverdale and have no problem paying the higher fare.  I would use taxis in the city but it's pointless to sit in traffic and pay for it, so the subway is basically the only way.  As for the trains, even the newer cars can be rather dirty, though I do prefer them.  For example, I'll take the (2) over the (3) where possible.  Brighter and cleaner cars for the most part and for some reason, I see more bums on the (3) particularly above 42nd street. lol

The problem with bus lanes on bridges and highways (almost certainly needed for express bus lanes to work properly, and the most effective places to put them) is twofold:

1. The region's highways are extremely narrow.

2. Since politicians drive or get chauffeured all the time, guess who's going to complain the loudest.

Traffic signal priority is something that should be implemented on all bus routes, and shouldn't be too expensive, but I wonder how that would impact traffic flow due to the sheer amount of buses in dense areas.

The problem with bus lanes on bridges and highways (almost certainly needed for express bus lanes to work properly, and the most effective places to put them) is twofold:

1. The region's highways are extremely narrow.

2. Since politicians drive or get chauffeured all the time, guess who's going to complain the loudest.

Traffic signal priority is something that should be implemented on all bus routes, and shouldn't be too expensive, but I wonder how that would impact traffic flow due to the sheer amount of buses in dense areas.

I've said this before but I'd also become aggressive on those delivery trucks.  They park all of the place.  Sometimes they triple park and clog up the entire street.  It's ridiculous.

Perhaps the (MTA) in its current setup simply is not capable of effectively running the city's subways and buses.  Transfer  :nyct:  operations to the DOT or something...

The last time the City ran transit, John Lindsay caused the first successful transit hike in the nation's history, and a legacy of deferred maintenance was started that led to the near-collapse of the systems in the '70s.

Never again.

The last time the City ran transit, John Lindsay caused the first successful transit hike in the nation's history, and a legacy of deferred maintenance was started that led to the near-collapse of the systems in the '70s.

Never again.

By the time Lindsay was mayor, the City hadn't run transit for about twelve years.  The New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) was formed in 1953 as an attempt to cut the city's operating losses.  It did not help prevent the inevitable, it just helped to delay it.  The real culprit here was forty years of the 5-cent fare and the post-war decline of cities, so please, get your facts straight.  The City ran transit under LaGuardia in the 1940s and things were fine (or at least better than they were 3-4 decades later).

Archived