Future of Atlantic Terminal

QM1to6Ave

I've been taking the LIRR recently from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal in the mornings for work purposes. It is a wonderful ride--the trains are fast and empty. It costs more than using the subway/bus to get to Brooklyn, but it is worth it. 

Anyway, I've been reading that when East Side Access is complete, trains going from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal will essentially be phased out, with everything going to Grand Central instead of Brooklyn. I read about a possible shuttle train going back and forth between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal

Is there truth to this? I haven't seen anything official about it from the MTA. If it is true, is there a timetable for this? Would the shuttle be a dedicated LIRR train that pops back and forth all day?

I've been taking the LIRR recently from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal in the mornings for work purposes. It is a wonderful ride--the trains are fast and empty. It costs more than using the subway/bus to get to Brooklyn, but it is worth it.

Anyway, I've been reading that when East Side Access is complete, trains going from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal will essentially be phased out, with everything going to Grand Central instead of Brooklyn. I read about a possible shuttle train going back and forth between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal

Is there truth to this? I haven't seen anything official about it from the MTA. If it is true, is there a timetable for this? Would the shuttle be a dedicated LIRR train that pops back and forth all day?

There is some truth to this.... What LIRR wants to do is run a scoot shuttle line from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal... Building a new 2 track platform at Jamaica with tracks that don't interfere with the mainline

It makes sense when you think about it and when you look at the current log jam at Jamaica

If you can move ALL Westbound trains off track 3 and separate all Eastbound trains from Brooklyn

It will allow smoother service to and from Penn Station and GCT

MTA has publicly said that scoot trains will be running every 7.5 minutes.

Now, that's about the only thing we know about the new service. What kind of cars, what kind of fares, even the fare media used and staffing is all completely shrouded in mystery at this point. There's no way that Atlantic will require that kind of frequency at the current one-way fare level, so we'll see what happens.

There is some truth to this.... What LIRR wants to do is run a scoot shuttle line from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal... Building a new 2 track platform at Jamaica with tracks that don't interfere with the mainline

It makes sense when you think about it and when you look at the current log jam at Jamaica

If you can move ALL Westbound trains off track 3 and separate all Eastbound trains from Brooklyn

It will allow smoother service to and from Penn Station and GCT

MTA has publicly said that scoot trains will be running every 7.5 minutes.

Now, that's about the only thing we know about the new service. What kind of cars, what kind of fares, even the fare media used and staffing is all completely shrouded in mystery at this point. There's no way that Atlantic will require that kind of frequency at the current one-way fare level, so we'll see what happens.

Thank for the info, guys!

Shuttles leaving every 7.5 minutes sounds pretty good to me. I'd assume they will be as fast as the current 20 minute train ride. If the price is as high as it is now, I hope they don't just stick some old subway cars or something on there lol. If it was something like the air train, that would be pretty neat, and they could advertise it as a quick ride to downtown brooklyn. 

I think the MTA will still keep a few rush-hour direct trains to/from Brooklyn, as you don't really want to piss off about 25,000 riders a day completely.

They're gonna re-do the layout of the tracks that bypass Jamaica a bit to keep that Huntington-bound train I was talking about. So while they're at it, they might as well use that same track for a few other rush hour trains. Seems likely to me.

So the service level to Brooklyn should stay about the same, if not actually increase? That would be nice; my rides are so empty in the mornings that I've been waiting for them to terminate some of those trains at Jamaica to save money and screw me over.  

It would probably be a lot cheaper for them to eliminate the ticket-takers on the LIRR and install turnstiles that accept Unlimited Metrocard at the $2.50 fare.  Higher ridership with more reasonable fares, and far less costs for salaries/pensions = more profit to the LIRR.

It would probably be a lot cheaper for them to eliminate the ticket-takers on the LIRR and install turnstiles that accept Unlimited Metrocard at the $2.50 fare.  Higher ridership with more reasonable fares, and far less costs for salaries/pensions = more profit to the LIRR.

In that case they might as well replace the M7s with subway cars.

It would probably be a lot cheaper for them to eliminate the ticket-takers on the LIRR and install turnstiles that accept Unlimited Metrocard at the $2.50 fare. Higher ridership with more reasonable fares, and far less costs for salaries/pensions = more profit to the LIRR.

Just a little info but I like all other RR employees pay into our pensions. MTA or state doesn't contribute a dime. Also there is no way they will bring down the price to 2.50 with turnstiles. You want that price the subway is down the block. They don't call it a commuter rail for nothing.

Just a little info but I like all other RR employees pay into our pensions. MTA or state doesn't contribute a dime. Also there is no way they will bring down the price to 2.50 with turnstiles. You want that price the subway is down the block. They don't call it a commuter rail for nothing.

(MTA) and state do pay your pensions, according to (MTA) bus drivers and especially former LIB bus drivers.

Hardware differences make this just an expensive hassle, when the LIRR to Atlantic right now can't fill half a train at the headways it's running off-peak.

Yeah, but I was thinking from that MetroCard perspective. If they make it $2.50 MetroCard b/w Atlantic and Jamaica thus adding turnstiles, there s hardly anything LIRR left so they might as well add subway cars because it s more like a subway with comfy seating that way...

Besides: you were the one who came up with the idea of converting the Atlantic branch to subway the other day...

(MTA) and state do pay your pensions, according to (MTA) bus drivers and especially former LIB bus drivers.

Yeah, but I was thinking from that MetroCard perspective. If they make it $2.50 MetroCard b/w Atlantic and Jamaica thus adding turnstiles, there s hardly anything LIRR left so they might as well add subway cars because it s more like a subway with comfy seating that way...

Besides: you were the one who came up with the idea of converting the Atlantic branch to subway the other day...

I said to put it under NYCT management, not to actually convert it to subway standard. It would take some shutdowns to convert the LIRR to NYCT standard, especially given the crazy gap distances at Atlantic Terminal (on a train entering Atlantic recently, they were only letting people out through the front because the gap at the end looked six inches to a foot wide)

Plus, I don't think that reducing fares, even to 2.50, is going to fill the Atlantic shuttle trains to the point where we would need actual B Division equipment (whose dimensions may be smaller than the LIRR's; is it?). The shuttle is only useful for passengers looking for Queens-South Brooklyn; any other trip, and the subway is more effective.

Are you going to listen to a mta bus driver or a actual RR employee. I am under the Railroad Retirement act . Only RR employees from Lirr and Metro North receive this as being federal RR employees. We don't have the same pension as Transit or LI Bus. Maybe 401k but that's it. Two different agencies with two different pensions.

I like the idea of a Queens to Brooklyn shuttle for 5 or 6 dollars, like an express bus. It would be a great alternative to the G or M from Queens to Brooklyn. Downtown Brooklyn is getting more and more businesses every day, so this could be a nice little growth opportunity for the MTA. Especiially with a dedicated track for a scoot shuttle, this could be a nice littler operation. 

I like the idea of a Queens to Brooklyn shuttle for 5 or 6 dollars, like an express bus. It would be a great alternative to the G or M from Queens to Brooklyn. Downtown Brooklyn is getting more and more businesses every day, so this could be a nice little growth opportunity for the MTA. Especiially with a dedicated track for a scoot shuttle, this could be a nice littler operation. 

If it s true what you say, then they might even profit from re-opening the Evergreen branch to the public to serve a bit more of Brooklyn. Connect that somewhere along the line to the Atlantic branch and there you go.

The scoot I would presume would still be in the city fare zone... Which is $9.00 peak and $7.00 off peak

And the city ticket still on weekends

The thing is, at current fares off peak, the LIRR's Atlantic trains can't even fill two cars. Something has to change for the MTA to think that it can run 8 trains an hour on that train line without burning a giant hole in its pocket.

The thing is, at current fares off peak, the LIRR's Atlantic trains can't even fill two cars. Something has to change for the MTA to think that it can run 8 trains an hour on that train line without burning a giant hole in its pocket.

Exactly. If they started advertising a new shuttle as a fast, comfortable way to Brooklyn I think it could really take off. Right now I don't think people realize it's an option.

For example, when I went to the MTA website the first time I needed to go to Brooklyn from Queens, I used the trip planner, checked off all transportation options, and none of the routesit gave me included taking the LIRR, even though using the LIRR cut out a good 25 minutes from the commute. I happened to know about LIRR trains that go to Brooklyn, but there is no advertising at all.  

I doubt this shuttle would run at 8 minute headway's if they use LIRR equipment, they would have to do brake tests every time the train left the terminal which would cause dwell time... would seem like a mess.

If they do make the headway that low might as well add turnstiles and put Subway cars along the route. At least with subway cars a train could into the terminal, another crew can just get on and pull out, RR cars gotta do that brake test which takes time.

Archived