Cops Allegedly Beat Elderly Man For Jaywalking On Upper West Side

Turbo19

11914jaywalk.jpg
An officer giving a ticket to a jaywalker at 96th Street earlier today

After a 26-year-old woman was fatally struck as she jaywalked across W. 96th Street on the Upper West Side early this morning—the third such pedestrian fatality in the area in the last eight days—cops went out in full force there today, giving tickets to jaywalkers and checking drivers' licenses. And according to the Post, cops beat an elderly man who jaywalked in front of reporters and NYPD officers around 5 p.m. this afternoon.

The Post notes that the victim didn’t seem to understand English-language commands: "The guy didn’t seem to speak English. The cop walked him over to the Citibank" near the northeast corner of 96th and Broadway, witness Ian King told them. "[The officer] stood him up against him the wall and was trying to write him a ticket. The man didn’t seem to understand, and he started walking away."

When the officer pursued the man, all hell broke loose: "The cop tried to pull him back and that’s when he [the pedestrian] began to struggle with the cop," King continued. "As soon as he pushed the cop, it was like cops started running in from everywhere." The man ended up bloody and bruised, then was handcuffed and taken away.

Read More: Source

This is just another example showing the need for reform in the NYPD. There was no justifiable reason for officers to excise as much force as they did on an elderly individual.

The elderly man did struggle with the cop, which could be considered obstruction of justice (pushing the officer elevated that to assault on a police officer). However, I agree that too much force was used against the man. 

The elderly man did struggle with the cop, which could be considered obstruction of justice. However, I agree that too much force was used against the man. 

Right.

I think that some sensitivity training is in order for the offices. They need to look at it from the perspective of the citizens. I can only imagine how fear struck the man was and then they beat him. Horrible and sickening.

Right.

I think that some sensitivity training is in order for the offices. They need to look at it from the perspective of the citizens. I can only imagine how fear struck the man was and then they beat him. Horrible and sickening.

Yeah, some retraining maybe needed. A beating like that could kill someone. 

And people here thought jay-walking won't warrant a ticket in New York.

Though back to this, over-aggressive? Yes. Did he deserve the ticket? Well according to everyone that 'follows the rules, no matter how small they may be,' yes.

The ticket isn't the issue, it's the beating.

Not to call you out but I'd prefer the focus be on PD's actions rather than what led up to it.

Yeah, some retraining maybe needed. A beating like that could kill someone. 

Exactly.

And people here thought jay-walking won't warrant a ticket in New York.

Though back to this, over-aggressive? Yes. Did he deserve the ticket? Well according to everyone that 'follows the rules, no matter how small they may be,' yes.

Agreed with the points made.

Not to call you out but I'd prefer the focus be on PD's actions rather than what led up to it.

Seems like actions to me. I must be illiterate.

This is a difficult situation... My real gripe about this is the sudden decision to write up tickets for people jaywalking... They haven't been enforcing this for years and now suddenly they decide to enforce it... Give me a break... I was definitely looking around for cops this morning walking to my office.  I think at Park Avenue I crossed the street at the crosswalk, but I usually cross and walk in the street all of the time to beat the tourists and other knuckleheads clogging up the sidewalks... My only issue with this is if they're going to enforce it, make it know and enforce it all of the time, otherwise it's going to be difficult to get people to adjust who are used to just walking and moving as they need to when they're in a rush. The fine is up a $100.00 which is egregious... That's almost two weeks of express bus passes right there for me so I'm going to have to adjust.  As for the old guy, I think they used too much force on the guy, but if he spoke English this wouldn't have been such a problem.  I wonder how they're going to handle this situation because I see TONS of tourists here and many of them don't speak English (not even a word). You start doing stuff like this and you may deter people from coming here.

The sudden blitzing of jaywalking tickets are a result of a new policy actually now enforced ridiculous in Los Angeles over a rarely enforced law. Seems the NYPD is catching on to this as well, with what was once upon a time a rarely enforced violation,  issuing tickets to meet their quota and also from the end of City Hall, a way to create revenue from issuing tickets.

Be careful out there guys. Things have been crazy lately with these bad cops in the NYPD with their animalistic trigger happy, and aggressive mentality which really makes the good POs who are dedicated to serving the public out there look bad. A few rotten apples ruin the whole bunch as the saying goes. Know your rights, if ever confronted by a police officer who is bent on harassing you rather than actually being lenient on non-criminal offenses. Its a shame, POs were not like this decades ago, they really did their job well, which is why I respect the experienced veteran cops, as compared to these recent recruits who really do not undrstand what it means to be a real police officer in a democratic country, in a global power city.

My mom is slow as usual with the news. It must be the Chinese newspapers. She just told me the man was one of our family friends. I used to go up to his apartment on the Upper West Side when I was little. He was a jolly old guy.

My mom is slow as usual with the news. It must be the Chinese newspapers. She just told me the man was one of our family friends. I used to go up to his apartment on the Upper West Side when I was little. He was a jolly old guy.

Man, that sucks.

I would like to know if you dont mind (for a reason so I can size this up) Was the victim Chinese?

We'll thats f**ked up. Lawsuit is in order you know that.

Brainstorming here...

Did your friend start a litigation procedure? Let me help you

Thanks, but his son is a lawyer. That's about the best position he could be in.

There's another issue, they cannot expect everyone to know english if they don't make it the official language.

What?

So the fact that he is Chinese and is not well versed in English justified an assault on him by a police officer? 

Answer me!

It better be a good answer.

There's another issue, they cannot expect everyone to know english if they don't make it the official language.

Even if English is the official language, that doesn't mean everyone will know it. Like how many tourists in Sweden know Swedish?

The police officer obviously should have realized that he serves the public regardless of race, his argument is weak. Hey let him relate his issues to us I am all ears.

It doesnt change the fact that first the police officer is not justified in using force over a damn jaywalking offence on an old Asian man, second that racial profiling exists in the NYPD and must be rooted out. Period. Like I am supposed to agree with comment that like I am a honorary model minority citizen.

I dont think so. Ready for the apologist explanations.

America doesn't have an official language because technically that would be a host of Native American languages. <_<

So if you can't communicate, the next logical step is assault and battery? The hell kind of logic is that?

Archived