Out-Of-Control MTA Bus Hits Over A Dozen Parked Cars In Brooklyn

User

mta+bus+crash+greenpoint.JPG

Video: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9949279

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A driver lost control of a Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus Friday evening and slammed into more than a dozen parked cars.

The accident happened just before 7:30 p.m. at Nassau Avenue and Sutton Street in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, authorities said.

As TV 10/55′s Tracee Carrasco reported, about 20 cars were damaged across two entire blocks.

Some cars were just side swiped or scratched while others were heavily damaged with broken windows, side-view mirrors taken off, and doors and bumpers mangled.

The bus also smashed into a red truck with a driver behind the wheel. Witnesses told Carrasco the driver was taken away on a stretcher.

The MTA said six people were injured in the accident, including the bus operator.

All six were taken to Woodhull Medical Center. Their conditions are not yet known.

It was not immediately confirmed what caused the bus driver to lose control, but witnesses told Carrasco that it appeared the driver had suffered some kind of medical emergency.

The MTA said there were no passengers on the bus at the time.

However, Carrasco spoke with a woman who said she was on the bus and was shaken up.

“The bus driver started shaking, so everyone started saying ‘he’s having a stroke call 911′ so everyone started pulling out their phones to call. And we wanted to stop the bus but he was blocked, there’s a bar. So we just started holding onto bars and started hitting cars until we stopped.”

Residents in the neighborhood said they heard the commotion and went outside to find that their cars had been damaged.

“It sounded like a tractor-trailer falling over or something. So obviously I looked out the window and then I saw the bus and I saw damaged cars on that block,” one witness told Carrasco.

Link: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/14/out-of-control-mta-bus-hits-over-a-dozen-parked-cars-in-brooklyn/

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/MTA-Bus-Crash-Parked-Cars-Greenpoint-Brooklyn-Injuries-250416261.html

Bus #9541. Hope the driver is alright from his medical emergency.

Damn that's crazy. I hope everyone is ok. Why did the MTA say there were no passengers if there was a bunch that took control of the wheel?

Where did you see that they took control? Because I read:

And we wanted to stop the bus but he was blocked, there’s a bar. So we just started holding onto bars and started hitting cars until we stopped.

20 cars is a lot of cars to hit before coming to a stop, I wonder how fast that bus was going or if his medical emergency caused him to step on that gas pedal.

This is really crazy. I hope everyone who got hurt is okay. Even the bus driver. And I hope all the damages can be covered.

Guys be careful on the bus or subway these days. You never know what could happen :( This goes for any B/O's & T/O's on this too.

That's absolutely terrifying. Something similar happened on the M4 in 1997---an M4 driver suffered a heart attack behind the wheel and went on a 5-block demolition derby before crashing into a building at about 30 Street on 5 Avenue...killing one; the driver died 3 weeks later in the hospital. The bus was repaired and returned to service and ended up being retired in 2009.

Archived