Subway Breast Implant Ads Cleave MTA & Cuomo Apart

Turbo19

040914_boobjob.jpg

If your subway rides are mostly spent staring at your phone while crafting the perfect rage tweet about how the F train was 20 minutes late, you'll be forgiven for missing a new subway ad for BOOBS. Or, more specifically, ads for breast augmentations, starring BOOBS. Apparently, people have been complaining about the cleavage-sporting signage, and now Albany's jumped into the fray, urging the MTA to review its advertising standards and hide all lady parts from public view.

The ad, which features a faceless deep cleavage-bearing woman, hocks $3,800 breast augmentations that are "Made in New York," (locally sourced!) and can be found spreading its fairly degrading message on about 1,000 subway cars and in 50 subway stations citywide. According to the Daily News, the signs have been making straphangers a little uneasy. "It’s too much,” Judith Calderon, a mother of a 2-year-old, told the tabloid. “It’s inappropriate for kids. People need to think about the kids." The Daily News also reported that comments from passing children included, "Dad, what does augmentation mean?" and "Why would anyone want them bigger?" so it looks like those Time Warner parental controls are doing a solid job blocking out the E! channel.

It appears the folks up in Albany got wind of the ads, spurring Cuomo aide Howard Glaser to fire off a strongly worded letter to MTA Chairman Tom Prendergast on the governor's behalf.

In response to a query from our office, the MTA advised that such ads fall within the MTA's written standards for advertising. With all due respect, we suggest those standards need to be revisited...Tens of thousands of children ride the subway every day to get to school...The public has a right to expect that the MTA will strive for a family-friendly environment.

MTA spokesman Adam Lisberg says the agency will heed the governor's request. "The MTA understands the concerns that Governor Cuomo and other parents have raised about this advertisement and about maintaining a family-friendly environment on our trains and buses," he told us in a statement. "We will revisit our standards for advertisements and our process for reviewing them."

Read More: Source

The people with the "think of the kids argument" need to shut it and stop using their kids as pawns in their personal argument. I see nothing wrong with these ads.

Ask yourself, which person would find breasts at all revolting.

Dunno, I'm waiting for the 12-9 when some fella with his hands outstretched walks off a platform reaching for those curves!

Leave the ads.  The only ones complaining are those who don't have a chest like that.

That's not exactly true...

Dunno, I'm waiting for the 12-9 when some fella with his hands outstretched walks off a platform reaching for those curves!

That's not exactly true...

Many years ago fruit growers from Calif did a study as to melons as they produced a large melon which had everything and they weren't selling. It seems women pick melons the same size as their bra cups and one size larger but shun away from the big ones. This is the why the cantaloupes are the size today versus 30 years ago.  Look considering what they place in ads these are the least offensive.

Least this isn't as bad as the debaticle about the anti-jihad posters.

And for once I do agree with turbo in that the argument of "protecting the children" has been used too much too often, and often enough for the wrong reasons.

Look commonsense again went to the wind. for votes.  The MTA is selling ad space to raise money so they can keep the fare..  Cuomo is looking for some group's money and support.  I have seen subway ads over 50 years and some of them were real wingdings and I said fine as they are trying to make money.  If some woman want them that big well she knows where to go..  $3800 is cheap for that surgery. and you can take the subway to the clinic. What more can you ask for.

It's an election year guys. That's why Cuomo (excuse me, his office) actually said something. If he didn't care about potential donors, this whole story would've fallen off after the first couple of days.

The one thing that I would want to know first is: Is this doctor qualified to do breast augmentations? $3800 seems awfully cheap for a non-quack.

Not really.  What you have is economics of scale.  If the office, operating room and bunch of other stuff  is permanent then increasing the number of procedures lowers cost  assigned to each one.  It also is an easy procedure and a boob doctor could knock out 8 of them in a day as it would take longer to knock the patients  out and revive them than the procedure itself. Likelihood of problems has dropped dramatically from earlier years so its safe to do.  Its like laser surgery for the eyes so you don't have to wear glasses anymore. When it started the cost was thousands per eye and once the bugs were worked out its hundreds per eye with the same doctor. They use to have boob procedure on Utube  and its 15 minutes from opening and closing.  You can check out the doctor a few ways from complaints to the medical board and with the insurance companies as they keep track of who is getting sued. Check out the board certifications and whether he's board certified in that specialty. 

Seriously, they flip their shit over this? They had no issues with gta 5 all over the place and that game is way worse in content and stuff for the 'children' than an image of cleavage. The stupid shit ppl waste their time to complain about. Cuomo isn't funding the system as well as he should be. How does he expect the mta to run without the ad revenues? And lol, yup on the way some women dress on the trains. The ad is probably safer, lol

Archived