World's Dumbest... Subway Commuter at the 86th St (Lexington Avenue) Station

ACEVE14

Wouldn't it be easier if in the "B" division they make ALL future car orders where the cars are 67 feet?  That used to be the length of the BMT Standard and by doing that, they could do it where all stations over time are lengthened to 670 feet in the B division for 10 67-foot cars.

That would solve the platform door issue in the B Division.

The A Division could do it more easily because they all use the same car length (51 feet).  You could there make it where ALL stations are eventually lengthened to 612 feet (12-car trains) and use that as standard length for platform doors.

no, it would not be easier, infact, it would be WORSE.

Contract rules stipulate one crew member per 300 feet of train. You've just saddled the TA with paying an extra CR on EVERY train.

no, it would not be easier, infact, it would be WORSE.

Contract rules stipulate one crew member per 300 feet of train. You've just saddled the TA with paying an extra CR on EVERY train.

Well 306 feet (six car set of the 11 car train) for the (7) mustnt be an issue I guess and the only exception

I also forgot for the PSD issue, what about curved platforms like 14th Street-Union Square on the (4)(5)(6) and Times Square on the (S) ?

About curve  ;)
DSC40103a.jpg

Can you name a city with completely human operation and PSDs? Because I can't. The London and Parisian lines where there are PSDs are all at least partially automated.

During the automation work of the line 1 in Paris, trains were operated manually, the old ATO system was disconnected.

Platform doors worked well, this is not a problem. 

Platform door can work independently with its own detection captors, you don't need any automation of the driving.

The only issue against platform doors in New York City is the different position of doors depending trains, the rest are details that have been solved by other networks.

You know, my gripe is that passengers can be moronic and rude in general and that includes professionals from wall street getting to their destinations during rush hours as I have to commute to lower Manhattan al the time nowadays. Pushing, shoving, cursing, taking up seats, doorway hogging, hitting me with bags briefcases and backpacks and not even saying sorry or politely saying excuse me, playing their headphones on full volume, or walking like snails holding up flow through corridors and stairs, holding doors delaying my commute etc. This stuff just pisses me off to no end.

Wouldn't it be easier if in the "B" division they make ALL future car orders where the cars are 67 feet?  That used to be the length of the BMT Standard and by doing that, they could do it where all stations over time are lengthened to 670 feet in the B division for 10 67-foot cars.

That would solve the platform door issue in the B Division.

The A Division could do it more easily because they all use the same car length (51 feet).  You could there make it where ALL stations are eventually lengthened to 612 feet (12-car trains) and use that as standard length for platform doors.

No, not really. The NTTs are not going anywhere til the 2040s and 2050s, so not only would we have three different car lengths for the B-Division for 20 years longer than expected, we wouldn't be able to install PSDs for that further 20 year period.

No, not really. The NTTs are not going anywhere til the 2040s and 2050s, so not only would we have three different car lengths for the B-Division for 20 years longer than expected, we wouldn't be able to install PSDs for that further 20 year period.

+1. Totally agree on the platform screen door issue, rolling stock and door position issues. We will not see anything until the R211's come into town really, for the reasons you've stated.

Besides the issue came up because of the media covering the incidents of 12/9s vs MTA public relations and facts. The MTA is fixing that problem by means of that intrusion detection system being tested at undisclosed locations as we both know, an alternative to the platform screen doors option anyway.

About curve  ;)

DSC40103a.jpg

During the automation work of the line 1 in Paris, trains were operated manually, the old ATO system was disconnected.

Platform doors worked well, this is not a problem. 

Platform door can work independently with its own detection captors, you don't need any automation of the driving.

The only issue against platform doors in New York City is the different position of doors depending trains, the rest are details that have been solved by other networks.

Lol its only my concern cuz they can be sharp, and at those platforms only have moving platforms at the middle doors with the end doors having still a significant gap and what if someone got stuck between the PSDs and train, just that thought scares me.

Btw, those types of PSDs maybe be the best look for the subway system.

While I was waiting for an uptown (6) Train to take to 125th St, some idiotic black dude with the blue-ish, purple-ish plaid shirt and a black bookbag jumped off the uptown platform and crossed through the tracks to the downtown side without taking the (6) one stop up to 96th St and cross over to the downtown train. Lucky for me (and him), he was able to get himself up on the downtown platform before heading downstairs to the Brooklyn-bound (4)(5) platform. This is why there was suppose to be a law where platform screen doors should be added to every subway station in the 4 boroughs (elevated, open cut, at-grade, or underground), not only that, the guy who jumped down onto the tracks should have been arrested by the cops right on the spot.

Jesus christ, again with the platform doors spiel? It doesn't work because the different cars have different door positions, and because getting a set of automatic doors to align with a human-operated train 100% of the time is simply not possible.

I second this. The cost to put them in does not justify their need.

In london, on the jubilee line, if the train doesnt pull up at the proper point, the doors wont open and the train must go to the next station. Imagine if that happened many times a day. The system imo is better for automated transit systems, rather than those with manual operation of doors.

In chicago, i have never heard of or seen people do this. They hang their legs over the platform but that is a different story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

People are going to do their thing and have since man came on this planet. Putting the platform gates up is an unnecessary cost plus prevents choosing anytime other than standard equipment is out preventing innovation or choosing it with additional costs. What we have become is a society where we must prevent people from doing idiocy at all costs especially to the taxpayer. Remember people anything you add will be paid by you in the end one way or another and we are short of money and what we have is needed elsewhere.

Being a Singaporean, whose transit system has platform screen doors are across all rail lines, let me share other problems that can arise when having PSDs. The ones giving problems are mainly the PSDs installed on our North South East West Lines(NSEWL). These are our only manual op lines in Singapore. PSDs along the other automatic lines don't give so much problems.

1. Last year when I came to NYC, I saw how people literally squeeze themselves onto the (6) train during the evening peak till the point where the doors are forced open for that moment then close. This is not like in Singapore where we shuffle in slowly to board. Then when our trains are very full, some people try their luck to squeeze into that last bit of small space by the door.

Nevertheless, these commuters prevent the doors from closing properly. As of now your subway only has 1 set of doors to take care of, that's the train's. Imagine if u have the train door and PSD door to take care of...2 sets of doors to be ensured closed and locked. Trains are definitely going to be delayed further due to that one bugger who may be standing in between PSD and train door preventing door interlock from kicking in.

Moreover, not all the time can the PSD communicate with the train doors to open/close simultaneously. Our half height PSDs(HHPSD) at the elevated stations along NSEWL installed just a few years ago give such problems. This again can give unnecessary delay for the trains. The full height PSD(FHPSD) in our NSEWL underground stations are the oldest model of PSDs around and are alr getting cranky. Not only can't they close at the same time but some get stick midway while closing. Its a normal sight at some of these stations to see a few door lights on because of such cranky PSDs. The train waits for about 5-10s and sometimes, that cranky door will suddenly shut or the doors just reopen again. More delay...and meaning more opportunities for people to board train during peak meaning more crowded trains for everyone. Yes some passengers in Singapore are pissed by the PSDs coz when the doors reopen, more people board then it gets more squishy, more delay, miss transfer train so they can't enjoy the ride home.

Overall, even in normal operation, PSDs will delay the train's departure by a few seconds. It may not be much but the experiences of a train starting up as soon as the doors close will be gone. I wonder if you have heard of the Green Summery Lamp but this is the indicator light at the front of all platforms to TOs in Singapore that all PSDs are closed and locked and the train is clear for departure. It can take up to 5 seconds for this lamp to light at times if the communication is cranky at that point of time. ATO is disabled even if train doors are closed but PSDs aren't.

2. After some thought, I realised that with PSDs across the entire subway system, the conductor's job may be at stake since he/she can't poke his head out to check on passenger loading. In Singapore for our manually operated lines, its the driver that monitors passenger loading instead: thru CCTVs that are installed at the stations and auto connect with the train cab's TV monitors when the train arrives at a station. No such thing as conductors here. I'm sure those conductors are going to be so very angry with the MTA for taking away their job just like that. Any manual announcements for service changes may as well let the driver do it.

I don't get why people do it. I mean it's common sense to not cross the rail tracks, especially those that feature a third rail with high voltage. It's a shame that some companies have decided to place platform doors because people are reckless.

I don't get why people do it. I mean it's common sense to not cross the rail tracks, especially those that feature a third rail with high voltage. It's a shame that some companies have decided to place platform doors because people are reckless.

They are idiots!  Case closed!

Archived