R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made my youtube a very long time ago thats why it may say 24

You got younger?

and now the info im giving u isnt false either and wat i said on the R32s and R46s is the plan FOR now everything may change so wait and see

Why would the MTA want to retire only 80 of 222 50 year old cars that are on their last legs? Why does it make sense to retire the R46s which are still in sound condition?

Also, the above poster explained it a lot better than I can but this quote makes no sense:

The Cars got taken off of the (7) last week so now they are getting overhauled and will return back on the (6) soon so dont be shocked if its in service back in Pelham by thanksgiving.

So you mean to tell me... the R188s will be constructed, delivered, tested, revenue service tested, programmed and whatnot in 2-3 months? LOL ok. :lol:

You got younger?

Why would the MTA want to retire only 80 of 222 50 year old cars that are on their last legs? Why does it make sense to retire the R46s which are still in sound condition?

Also, the above poster explained it a lot better than I can but this quote makes no sense:

So you mean to tell me... the R188s will be constructed, delivered, tested, revenue service tested, programmed and whatnot in 2-3 months? LOL ok. :lol:

You do know that former R142A 7211-7220 at Corona are R188s right they have cbtc and corona is waiting for the C car which is done at Kawasakis plant just waiting to get sent to corona yard so Ha :)

It wouldn't make sense to retire the 752 R46 cars and keep 142 R32s left in service, especially considering that the 300 R179s ISN'T enough to retire all those R46s...

If the (MTA) wanted those R46s to last until beginning in 2015 when they turn 40 years old then they would've order the R211s instead of the R179s and extend the lives out of those remaining 222 R32s and 48 R42s. But since the R32s and R42s are going bye-bye due to their aging bodies, the R179s were ordered first because the R46s was born after all cars below them were built FIRST...

It wouldn't make sense to retire the 752 R46 cars and keep 142 R32s left in service, especially considering that the 300 R179s ISN'T enough to retire all those R46s...

If the (MTA) wanted those R46s to last until beginning in 2015 when they turn 40 years old then they would've order the R211s instead of the R179s and extend the lives out of those remaining 222 R32s and 48 R42s. But since the R32s and R42s are going bye-bye due to their aging bodies, the R179s were ordered first because the R46s was born after all cars below them were built FIRST...

I didnt mean all the R46s were leaving just the ones on the (A)

And as for the R62As ll agree and wait and see and I apologize to all as well no more speculation from me :)

Ok guys, can we please just get back on topic with the R142A/R188. JunJun, you have been told already. Wait and See is all you need to do. Lets not flame or go down a hill to hell any more.

People will always find a way to not do that...

Just so no one asks in the future, the R188's will replace nothing. I'm tired of hearing that question.

People will always find a way to not do that...

Just so no one asks in the future, the R188's will replace nothing. I'm tired of hearing that question.

I'm very aware of that.

Anyways, would anyone know if there will be spare R62As left once Westchester is full of the R62As?

Everyone is so sure that the R62A's from the (7) are going to the (6) but no one REALLY knows if that's going to happen. They could end up on the (3) and the (6) could end up with R142's and the R62's could go back to the (4). It's going to be a while before anything leaves Corona Yard and things are subject to change down here. I too am interested in what will happen but I have no idea so I'm going to sit back and see what happens just like the rest of you. Just be ready for the unexpected.

Everyone is so sure that the R62A's from the (7) are going to the (6) but no one REALLY knows if that's going to happen. They could end up on the (3) and the (6) could end up with R142's and the R62's could go back to the (4). It's going to be a while before anything leaves Corona Yard and things are subject to change down here. I too am interested in what will happen but I have no idea so I'm going to sit back and see what happens just like the rest of you. Just be ready for the unexpected.

But which lines have EXPRESS and LOCAL designation versions? (6)<6> and (7)<7>......

It makes no sense to put those R62As on either the (3) or (4) as those cars have LED lights with a red diamond meaning express and a green circle meaning local. And before someone gets upset with me and go all like "Oh, but why the hell does that matter? The route bullet says this train is a xyz*** regardless of the LED signs so riders couldn't give two cents about it, at least they know WHERE their train is going! It's not like their train is being rerouted or anything except for a general order!", well that's because riders need to know which train route bullet is express or local along lines that HAVE them. Plus, the (4) requires 35 trains so it will have to use R62As instead of R62s as there's only 325 R62s built (though 8 of them were scrapped). There wouldn't be enough R62s to fill that entire line which is why it also used a few Redbird trains in the past when it was running with R62s..And EVEN if the R62s were to return to the (4), it will just be a fixed fleet with those cars and the R62As while the (3) is 100% R62As.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

It makes no sense to put those R62As on either the (3) or (4) as those cars have LED lights with a red diamond meaning express and a green circle meaning local. And before someone gets upset with me and go all like "Oh, but why the hell does that matter? The route bullet says this train is a xyz*** regardless of the LED signs so riders couldn't give two cents about it, at least they know WHERE their train is going! It's not like their train is being rerouted or anything except for a general order!", well that's because riders need to know which train route bullet is express or local along lines that HAVE them. Plus, the (4) requires 35 trains so it will have to use R62As instead of R62s as there's only 325 R62s built (though 8 of them were scrapped). There wouldn't be enough R62s to fill that entire line which is why it also used a few Redbird trains in the past when it was running with R62s..And EVEN if the R62s were to return to the (4), it will just be a fixed fleet with those cars and the R62As while the (3) is 100% R62As.

Just because Corona's R62As have LED side lights, doesn't mean these must go to the (6). As I and a few others know, even IF the (6) gets it first, who knows if it will last long on that line. I've mentioned before, politicians and riders, may not be happy getting the old back.. Which means, even the (4) can get it, or even the (2) and/or (5) (ITS POSSIBLE, you never know, so no conclusions, even related to swap) can get it. We still don't know at this point where it will go. Hey, the (6) can even stay with its R142As, and (4) can get it... just yank the LEDs or leave them as is. We all know the (MTA) makes good, and a lot of times dumb decisions, we just gotta take it.

But which lines have EXPRESS and LOCAL designation versions? (6)<6> and (7)<7>......

And what does that mean? This is the (MTA) we're talking about here.

Look, everything you are saying is on point but the (MTA) doesn't think like that. They are going to put trains where they see fit to put them. Just because it wouldn't make sense to you or me doesn't mean the (MTA) won't do it. I wrote what I wrote so that you won't be shocked if the (MTA) doesn't go in the direction that everyone is thinking they will go. If the trains go to the (6), then fine but if not, then it doesn't happen but don't be shocked if it doesn't.

Just because Corona's R62As have LED side lights, doesn't mean these must go to the (6). As I and a few others know, even IF the (6) gets it first, who knows if it will last long on that line. I've mentioned before, politicians and riders, may not be happy getting the old back.. Which means, even the (4) can get it, or even the (2) and/or (5) (ITS POSSIBLE, you never know, so no conclusions, even related to swap) can get it. We still don't know at this point where it will go. Hey, the (6) can even stay with its R142As, and (4) can get it... just yank the LEDs or leave them as is. We all know the (MTA) makes good, and a lot of times dumb decisions, we just gotta take it.

See you get it. Glad someone here does.

I still have doubts about the (2)(5) being affected as you have trains interchanging on each other's lines and I can't imagine how much a pita it must be to change every single roll sign to display the correct route or if a train has to make a diversion. Now if those R62As have electronic signs, then that could make a big difference.

If the (6) were to stay all NTT, I could see them taking some of the trains off the (4) and the (4) getting the R62As. But that would get too far into the speculating.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I still have doubts about the (2)(5) being affected as you have trains interchanging on each other's lines and I can't imagine how much a pita it must be to change every single roll sign to display the correct route or if a train has to make a diversion. Now if those R62As have electronic signs, then that could make a big difference.

If the (6) were to stay all NTT, I could see them taking some of the trains off the (4) and the (4) getting the R62As. But that would get too far into the speculating.

I know, the (2) and (5) does swap, but remember, the Redbirds had those swap signs before. I wouldn't imagine the (MTA) install something similar to that. Of course the (2) and/or (5) getting it is still slim. To bad these roll signs aren't electronic, which would get changed at the operators cab and make it easy for the crews to change the route/destination.

One problem with that: there aren't enough 142As on the 4 for the 6 to keep its 142As.

Thing is, I could see them putting Jerome's 142s on the 6 because of the signage issue and the 62As on the 4 instead. Especially with the 6's short recovery times. Either way, someone's getting the older cars. Plain and simple.

I still think they're going to the (6). There's really a perfect number of R62As available for that; Westchester Yard should have a slightly increased spare factor and the excess R142As from the (6) can go to the (4). That leaves the right number of trains; no mixed fleets.

Edited by TheSubwayStation

I still think they're going to the (6). There's really a perfect number of R62As available for that; Westchester Yard should have a slightly increased spare factor and the excess R142As from the (6) can go to the (4). That leaves the right number of trains; no mixed fleets.

Why overcomplicate things? This is perfect.

No matter of what line the R62As are going.. One line must get the OTT's, and riders just have to deal with that.. What if (1) and (3) riders start to complain with R62's on their lines? What can be done? Nothing! The same applies to the (6). If (6) riders may dislike getting the old, (4) riders may also dislike it, but they just have to deal. Many lines have to deal with OTT's, they just ride on the train and do not complain. The train will bring you from point A to point B. Thats enough.

I still prefer the simple option though. The R142/142As (350 sets) have the (4) strip maps. The former R62As from the (3) and (6) were moved to the (7) to retire the remaining Redbirds there. Those LED lights will work just fine with the (6) and <6>. To see the (MTA) installing new strip maps for the (6) and <6> on the (4)'s R142/142As is a waste of investment if they were to please the angry Upper East Side and Pelham riders who ride the (6) that want their clear announcements and shiny/brighter interiors to stay permanent. At least they'll just put up with it until the R62As retire but of course, this agency is the "(MTA)" and we know how they are.....though luck.... <_<

No matter of what line the R62As are going.. One line must get the OTT's, and riders just have to deal with that.. What if (1) and (3) riders start to complain with R62's on their lines? What can be done? Nothing! The same applies to the (6). If (6) riders may dislike getting the old, (4) riders may also dislike it, but they just have to deal. Many lines have to deal with OTT's, they just ride on the train and do not complain. The train will bring you from point A to point B. Thats enough.

Exactly, it's public transit that you pay $2.25 to ride. If you can't deal with older cars on your line then take the bus, take another line, or buy a car/take a cab.

One problem with that: there aren't enough 142As on the 4 for the 6 to keep its 142As.

Thing is, I could see them putting Jerome's 142s on the 6 because of the signage issue and the 62As on the 4 instead. Especially with the 6's short recovery times. Either way, someone's getting the older cars. Plain and simple.

And that's just what I was going to say. There are jobs on the (6) where I've started at Parkchester and ended at Pelham so one of my trips started at Parkchester but when I got to Brooklyn Bridge, I would then go to Pelham Bay Park going uptown. That would require rollsigns changing too.

Edited by Princelex