50 NYPD cops set to begin wearing body cameras in pilot program - NY Daily News

realizm

Capture_zps9116256b.png

The NYPD is set to equip 50 officers with body cameras as part of a pilot program testing the technology, police sources said Thursday.

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton is expected to make the announcement Thursday afternoon that the cops in five different precincts will soon be wearing the recording devices, the sources said.

It wasn’t immediately clear what interactions with the public will be recorded and how long the pilot program will last.

Federal Judge Shira Scheindlin in August 2013 ruled that as a result of the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk policy, the constitutional rights of a disproportionate number of blacks and Hispanics were violated — and she ordered police to test body cameras in a number of precincts.

Bratton recently briefed police union officials of his plans, and he has said he strongly supports the use of body cameras.

Such technology is in use in a number of cities across the country, including Ferguson, Missouri, where cops started wearing them following the racially-charged shooting death of Michael Brown by a police officer.

Read more: Source

The only good thing about this is stopping thugs from getting their "pay day" costing us taxpayers MILLIONS of dollars a year.  <_<

You know what costs a lot more? The multi-million dollar lawsuits that follow boneheaded cops doing terrible things to citizens. If this program can slow those, we'll all be saving money.

You know what costs a lot more? The multi-million dollar lawsuits that follow boneheaded cops doing terrible things to citizens. If this program can slow those, we'll all be saving money.

So therefore this will help to ensure that policing is enforced according to the law and good judgement, to put a stop of questionable stops by police. On the flip side, lawbreakers cannot anymore create false claims of policer brutality if confronted rightfully by a police officer  who suspected him of committing a crime. The device can be easily worn and shouldnt impede the movement of the officer.

Lawbreakers will be more hesitant to commit crimes, police officers will be more careful in handling matters in a civil manner while upholding the law. No room for racial profiling here. Unfortunately the crazy multicultural city that we live in calls for military like measures where soldiers must also carry body cams in many cases in oversees conflicts.

So therefore this will help to ensure that policing is enforced according to the law and good judgement, to put a stop of questionable stops by police. On the flip side, lawbreakers cannot anymore create false claims of policer brutality if confronted rightfully by a police officer  who suspected him of committing a crime. The device can be easily worn and shouldnt impede the movement of the officer.

Lawbreakers will be more hesitant to commit crimes, police officers will be more careful in handling matters in a civil manner while upholding the law. No room for racial profiling here. Unfortunately the crazy multicultural city that we live in calls for military like measures where soldiers must also carry body cams in many cases in oversees conflicts.

Great way of putting that...Let's hope it works...

Great way of putting that...Let's hope it works...

It did seem to work oversees in the Middle-east after reports of US soldiers court martialed and detained in incidents that shocks many of us even (Wtf? Raping and killing children AND covering it up?). We can put a close to a decade long war finally in a small way because of this move to have soldiers equipped with cams in the US military. I could care less what ppl think, I think this proposal may be the solution to an age long problem with race relations and law enforcement. It will protect the rights of the civilians *and* hard working cops. This is what I really think and its a great move. Lying crooks and rogue cops alike will not be able to stand once the video starts rolling in the courtrooms in the crazy incidents to hit the courts in the future. 

You mean like the guy they put in the choke hold? Or the guy putting the other guy in the choke hold?

(don't answer this, it's a rhetorical question)

Actually I will... That guy had a wrap sheet that was probably as tall as he was... While he didn't deserve to be choked, he was certainly no angel.

"Garner, whose rap sheet listed 31 arrests beginning when he was 16..."

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/eric-garner-death-ruled-homicide-medical-examiner-article-1.1888808#ixzz3CRPj1e9s

Actually I will... That guy had a wrap sheet that was probably as tall as he was... While he didn't deserve to be choked, he was certainly no angel.

Meant to say "rap sheet"... Food was on my mind... lol

I predicted this in the Eric garner threads few weeks back, not surprised it is starting. should be a win-win for the police and the public

You would think it would be, but I'm sure some people will find something else to complain about in terms of how they're being "singled out and targeted" just because and how they're so innocent... Let's just wait and see what the "Reverend" has to say (Al Sharpton). lol I still thought it was hilarious how he ran that entire press interview with de Blasio just sitting there.  I mean who in the hell is running the shots in City Hall these days?

Nevertheless with body cams, we would not have as much ethical and legal problems. This measure may at many times protect cops falsely accused of brutality or harrassment. Also this will protect the citizen from police brutality, searches without legal consent, and as far as the necessary stop and frisk policy, it will enforce the abolishment of racial profiling. As MHV9218 said this will save legal costs for us taxpayers and the NYPD in the case of civil suits which is another way of looking at it. I support this.

The body cams are easy to wear compared to the larger ones used on soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan after

by US soldiers. If it worked for the US military it will work with the NYPD. And yes I can understand that some POs do not support this and why. They are entitled to their opinion...

Edit: Also refer to this link http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/04/california-police-body-cameras-cuts-violence-complaints-rialto

"Over the past year all 70 of its uniformed officers have been kitted out with the oblong devices, about the size of stubby cigars, and the results have emboldened police forces elsewhere in the US and in the UK to follow suit.

The College of Policing recently announced plans for large-scale trials of body-worn video in England and Wales, saying Rialto's experiment showed big drops in the use of force and in public complaints against officers. David Davis, a former shadow home secretary, has backed the idea. It follows "plebgate's denting of public trust.

Rialto has also become an example for US forces since a federal judge in New York praised its initiative."

Nevertheless with body cams, we would not have as much ethical and legal problems. This measure may at many times protect cops falsely accused of brutality or harrassment. Also this will protect the citizen from police brutality, searches without legal consent, and as far as the necessary stop and frisk policy, it will enforce the abolishment of racial profiling. As MHV9218 said this will save legal costs for us taxpayers and the NYPD in the case of civil suits which is another way of looking at it. I support this.

The body cams are easy to wear compared to the larger ones used on soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan after

by US soldiers. If it worked for the US military it will work with the NYPD. And yes I can understand that some POs do not support this and why. They are entitled to their opinion...

Edit: Also refer to this link http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/04/california-police-body-cameras-cuts-violence-complaints-rialto

"Over the past year all 70 of its uniformed officers have been kitted out with the oblong devices, about the size of stubby cigars, and the results have emboldened police forces elsewhere in the US and in the UK to follow suit.

The College of Policing recently announced plans for large-scale trials of body-worn video in England and Wales, saying Rialto's experiment showed big drops in the use of force and in public complaints against officers. David Davis, a former shadow home secretary, has backed the idea. It follows "plebgate's denting of public trust.

Rialto has also become an example for US forces since a federal judge in New York praised its initiative."

We'll see, but this should put a lot of the police brutality complaints to rest.

The only good thing about this is stopping thugs from getting their "pay day" costing us taxpayers MILLIONS of dollars a year. <_<

Whoops, you're critically misinformed.

These are independently-funded. And $60,000. The Police Foundation is paying for them. Next time try not to talk without knowing what you're talking about.

Meant to say "rap sheet"... Food was on my mind... lol

You would think it would be, but I'm sure some people will find something else to complain about in terms of how they're being "singled out and targeted" just because and how they're so innocent... Let's just wait and see what the "Reverend" has to say (Al Sharpton). lol I still thought it was hilarious how he ran that entire press interview with de Blasio just sitting there.  I mean who in the hell is running the shots in City Hall these days?

Sharpton is like Donald Trump...they feed on press and attention

Fair. But to call the people who the NYPD injures and kills "thugs" is insane. Was Sean Bell a thug?

Yes facts. The Sean Bell incident. That was beyond cruel. Insane...

We'll see, but this should put a lot of the police brutality complaints to rest.

Yes we will see. I think with this implemented, we will see that cases of brutality or racial profiling drop substantially. But again we will have to see if it will work in NYC which I strongly believe it will.

Sharpton is like Donald Trump...they feed on press and attention

LOL! This is definitely true wont deny that at all.

Fair. But to call the people who the NYPD injures and kills "thugs" is insane. Was Sean Bell a thug? 

The majority of the people arrested by the NYPD are not angels.  There are exceptions to that rule, but that general statement is pretty accurate.  Even the man that was recently killed by the NYPD (Eric Garner) had been arrested 31 times since the age of 16.  

In a government, whether a country or a city (Such as of course the United States) lawmakers have to consider ethical and societal issues with law enforcement. Yes if someone does the crime they must do the time, indeed. But again the cases where we do have brutality unnecessarily using deadly force against unarmed men and so forth is a bit much. This is why politicians and down to city leaders must consider humanitarian issues with the American public which the do though not perfectly.

This applies to the US military, also extends to the NYPD, they are not exempt. Upholding the law in justifiable ways. of course, I am not saying all POs are pigs if that was you impression of myself and others, because we do know there are police officers who do a damn good job at serving and protecting the public. But some do not.

The majority of the people arrested by the NYPD are not angels.  There are exceptions to that rule, but that general statement is pretty accurate.  Even the man that was recently killed by the NYPD (Eric Garner) had been arrested 31 times since the age of 16.  

For nonsense charges like loosies. If you're not hurting anybody, you're not a bad person. 

• 1 month later...

Archived