LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

18 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Good afternoon Fellas,

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, I was messed up really down and out after not hearing from anyone after the open house and seeing a lot of my friends get called today on 11/25 after over a month I got my invitation to the SnD overview for December 4th !!!!!! This is it, time to buckle down and disappear until January 8th! Thank you for making this Forum again Dre and I WILL pass this and let you guys know wassup. Stay Blessed Happy Holidays everyone ! 

They should just give everyone who passed the cognitive a chance to try to pass the S&D. Idk why they can’t do it like that 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Good afternoon Fellas,

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, I was messed up really down and out after not hearing from anyone after the open house and seeing a lot of my friends get called today on 11/25 after over a month I got my invitation to the SnD overview for December 4th !!!!!! This is it, time to buckle down and disappear until January 8th! Thank you for making this Forum again Dre and I WILL pass this and let you guys know wassup. Stay Blessed Happy Holidays everyone ! 

Congrats and good luck. 

On 11/25/2022 at 11:02 PM, NH90 said:

Congrats everyone! Hopefully I’m still in the running. Crossing my fingers for a email Monday.

Hopefully so Bro'! I just found out by signing into my MTA Careers account that they passed on me.  I didn't get any letters or emails yet but in the system is says "failed - position filled".  Gotta wait a whole year to try again now but hopefully you and the others will move forward 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

1 hour ago, Red5Xwing said:

Hopefully so Bro'! I just found out by signing into my MTA Careers account that they passed on me.  I didn't get any letters or emails yet but in the system is says "failed - position filled".  Gotta wait a whole year to try again now but hopefully you and the others will move forward 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

I really think they should give all the engineers and conductors who passed cognitive regardless of the score a chance to take the S&D. Cognitive scores do not determine if people will fail SD or not.

46 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I really think they should give all the engineers and conductors who passed cognitive regardless of the score a chance to take the S&D. Cognitive scores do not determine if people will fail SD or not.

I Agree, and not just because I got passed up.  It's just the way they do things there, and it means waiting a year to MAYBE get invited back to try again.  New Jersey Transit uses a Psychometric Verbal Reasoning exam to filter out applicants for engine service if you're invited to take it.  And just like LIRR, you fail it you have to wait a year to reapply there too.  

1 hour ago, Red5Xwing said:

I Agree, and not just because I got passed up.  It's just the way they do things there, and it means waiting a year to MAYBE get invited back to try again.  New Jersey Transit uses a Psychometric Verbal Reasoning exam to filter out applicants for engine service if you're invited to take it.  And just like LIRR, you fail it you have to wait a year to reapply there too.  

Yes, but the main issue with this is you have to score a specific target score they’re looking for, passing it isn’t enough. Hopefully Amtrak and Metro North don’t this either.

Edited by 2ride

During the program you have to maintain above a 75% average. This is factored all the way  from the day one cognitive exam. I don’t agree with the system. But sometimes it doesn’t translate out in the field. They’re lucky if they can graduate a class of 7-8 engrs out of 12. Sometimes people see the amount of work we have to study and get discourageda dh walk out and don’t show up for the S&D and sometimes they drop in phase1. If you can maintain and keep up the studying. Great. I feel for those who don’t get call backs.  It shows you guys want the job. I applied 3 years in a row. Never got a call back until the 3rd year applying. Don’t get discouraged. Apply to anything in the MTA career section. 

In my case. I wasn’t trying to go back and stay at job where I was miserable. I have kids and wife and I was trying to better my situation. I had no choice BUT to pass. I came to this forum but there was limited information. I do believe in helping folks out and kind give an idea what goes on. This is an area where I can’t help. You can’t cheat and there’s no preparing for it. I remember when I went to my cognitive exam. One guy said he answered all the questions. Someone said “you failed the test then.”  He goes “impossible”. Someone stated “the test is not about how fast you can do it. It’s about how many can you answer correctly”. But he swore he was going to get an interview. Sure enough he didn’t make it. He was part of the first group that got called. All those guys didn’t make it. 

1 hour ago, 2ride said:

Yes, but the main issue with this is you have to score a specific target score they’re looking for, passing it isn’t enough. Hopefully Amtrak and Metro North don’t this either.

Yeah, hopefully not because I've applied to them as well.

20 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

During the program you have to maintain above a 75% average. This is factored all the way  from the day one cognitive exam. I don’t agree with the system. But sometimes it doesn’t translate out in the field. They’re lucky if they can graduate a class of 7-8 engrs out of 12. Sometimes people see the amount of work we have to study and get discourageda dh walk out and don’t show up for the S&D and sometimes they drop in phase1. If you can maintain and keep up the studying. Great. I feel for those who don’t get call backs.  It shows you guys want the job. I applied 3 years in a row. Never got a call back until the 3rd year applying. Don’t get discouraged. Apply to anything in the MTA career section. 

Yes true....I'm a bit discouraged but NOT giving up overall. However I was told by my interviewer that there was a "great need" for people in engine service, it was encouraging that I could have a shot once I heard that at the time.  Hopefully I'll have what they're looking for in a year though 👍🏾

55 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Again, invite the people who didn’t get called back for SnD. You’ll be surprised at how many of the low cognitive scorers is capable of studying and passing it. Now if fail it along with the ones who got called, then that’s fair if we don’t get hired. But it isn’t fair to say no one who scored low on cognitive can’t pass SD if they’re not given a chance.

Hi guys, hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!  I was invited to an open house passed the cognitive exam and was interviewed the same day. Do most hear back within 1-2 weeks in regards to S&D?? Feeling apprehensive as I haven't heard anything yet & it's been almost two weeks. 

28 minutes ago, Killjoy27 said:

Well, I got called back for S&D. Not gonna be a fun one, but I think I could do it. But I wonder, how many people are typically knocked out after passing cognitive but before SD?

I was at November 9 Open House. After they did first cut about 30 people. I did a headcount of people remaining. Their were about 70-80 people that got the interview so who knows how many got nixxed after interview 

1 hour ago, Killjoy27 said:

Well, I got called back for S&D. Not gonna be a fun one, but I think I could do it. But I wonder, how many people are typically knocked out after passing cognitive but before SD?

I'm one of them.... didn't get an email or a call, but I happened to sign in to my MTA Careers account yesterday, and at my application it said,  "Failed - Position Filled".  I was at the recruitment event on the 17th.

10 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Could’ve been something you said in the quick interview. Not sure how they score that also. 

I sold myself as much as I could. I even started off with the conversation before the interviewer did just to capture their attention (no harm intended). What else could I have done?

1 hour ago, 2ride said:

I sold myself as much as I could. I even started off with the conversation before the interviewer did just to capture their attention (no harm intended). What else could I have done?

I am not sure. Are you ugly? Are your eyes far apart? <_< Their process of elimination is rather haphazard. What exactly is the method to their madness? My theory is that they just don't want certain people in (not white, not male. not able-body) sure a sprinkle of the others may get through but...shrugs. 

Guys !!!! I get it tbh I was f**king DEPRESSED when I didn't hear back anything LEGIT Depressed man in the dumps. I want this so bad I'm at work studying right now !!! I didn't hear anything back for 6 Weeks !!!! Be Patient !! I have my SnD over view on Sunday 12/4 but one of my conductor friends held it down with signals package to get on it a little early !! Fellas I know it's hard !! I was waking up checking my email, refreshing my email aallll DAY Lllooonnnngggg it was  becoming unhealthy !!! Give it time legit 6 and a half weeks until I heard something Be Patient, keep your spirits up, I'm only writing this because I know that feeling of waiting and knowing others already got a overview invite. I wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemy!! LMAO.

Ive already finished my index cards for signals, 128 Signals, Took me like 20 hours writing and checking each and every one of them 3 times, gluing them on. These cards are like gold right now if someone offered me 5000 dollars for them I wouldn't trade them!!! BE PATIENT FELLAS !!! Just some kind words 

3 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Guys !!!! I get it tbh I was f**king DEPRESSED when I didn't hear back anything LEGIT Depressed man in the dumps. I want this so bad I'm at work studying right now !!! I didn't hear anything back for 6 Weeks !!!! Be Patient !! I have my SnD over view on Sunday 12/4 but one of my conductor friends held it down with signals package to get on it a little early !! Fellas I know it's hard !! I was waking up checking my email, refreshing my email aallll DAY Lllooonnnngggg it was  becoming unhealthy !!! Give it time legit 6 and a half weeks until I heard something Be Patient, keep your spirits up, I'm only writing this because I know that feeling of waiting and knowing others already got a overview invite. I wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemy!! LMAO.

Ive already finished my index cards for signals, 128 Signals, Took me like 20 hours writing and checking each and every one of them 3 times, gluing them on. These cards are like gold right now if someone offered me 5000 dollars for them I wouldn't trade them!!! BE PATIENT FELLAS !!! Just some kind words 

Good Luck. Remember. Read. write. recite. If you don’t know it by the midnight the day of. Don’t bother studying and get a good nights rest. 

Also the guy who interviewed me at the Open house was a lowkey a jerk, homie just stared in my face with such distain like he was almost annoyed with me. He was Road Foreman, I guess like a engineer supervisor not sure but I'll never forget his name and face but I guess I checked all the boxes of things to say so it was kinda undeniable, I saw him writing down key words I was saying, he peeped I was looking at the paper and folded it over and gave me an super pissed off look. The phrase he wrote down was "trouble shoot" " anticipate" so ANYONE going to their open house sprinkle those in there after passing the cognitive :)

9 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Good Luck. Remember. Read. write. recite. If you don’t know it by the midnight the day of. Don’t bother studying and get a good nights rest. 

Dre like I said before Thank You for making this forum bro I've read posts of yours going back years !!simply because there's no other outlets or open sources to get any info on what you're headed into. Legit I think they make this process incredibly hard not only they get people out that aren't committed or smart enough but to sort of test your mental resiliency if that makes sense. Thank You for the Advice again Dre if you have any other tips that will help me please let me know !!! 

12 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Dre like I said before Thank You for making this forum bro I've read posts of yours going back years !!simply because there's no other outlets or open sources to get any info on what you're headed into. Legit I think they make this process incredibly hard not only they get people out that aren't committed or smart enough but to sort of test your mental resiliency if that makes sense. Thank You for the Advice again Dre if you have any other tips that will help me please let me know !!! 

Start with the easy ones. Then work your way up. That’s how I did it