LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

1 hour ago, LinkyOG said:

Guys !!!! I get it tbh I was f**king DEPRESSED when I didn't hear back anything LEGIT Depressed man in the dumps. I want this so bad I'm at work studying right now !!! I didn't hear anything back for 6 Weeks !!!! Be Patient !! I have my SnD over view on Sunday 12/4 but one of my conductor friends held it down with signals package to get on it a little early !! Fellas I know it's hard !! I was waking up checking my email, refreshing my email aallll DAY Lllooonnnngggg it was  becoming unhealthy !!! Give it time legit 6 and a half weeks until I heard something Be Patient, keep your spirits up, I'm only writing this because I know that feeling of waiting and knowing others already got a overview invite. I wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemy!! LMAO.

Ive already finished my index cards for signals, 128 Signals, Took me like 20 hours writing and checking each and every one of them 3 times, gluing them on. These cards are like gold right now if someone offered me 5000 dollars for them I wouldn't trade them!!! BE PATIENT FELLAS !!! Just some kind words 

How does the cognitive test mental resiliency though? Mental resiliency is based on the job performance itself. That’s like saying someone who scored 2400 on SAT will get As at Harvard, not true. When you get the job, let us know if anything we got tested on cognitive is used in anyway on the job. 

Edited by 2ride

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/27/2022 at 10:34 PM, Killjoy27 said:

Well, I got called back for S&D. Not gonna be a fun one, but I think I could do it. But I wonder, how many people are typically knocked out after passing cognitive but before SD?

For those that have recently been saying they’ve been getting responses, are you guys going for engineer or conductor? This has been very confusing since it seems there’s both in this forum. I went to the open house for engineer at the end of September and still haven’t heard back; meanwhile it seems most of you guys getting responses only had to wait two weeks or so.

4 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

Dre like I said before Thank You for making this forum bro I've read posts of yours going back years !!simply because there's no other outlets or open sources to get any info on what you're headed into. Legit I think they make this process incredibly hard not only they get people out that aren't committed or smart enough but to sort of test your mental resiliency if that makes sense. Thank You for the Advice again Dre if you have any other tips that will help me please let me know !!! 

I didn’t create this forum. This forum was already here. I just contributed to the cause. Lol. 

1 hour ago, J3737 said:

For those that have recently been saying they’ve been getting responses, are you guys going for engineer or conductor? This has been very confusing since it seems there’s both in this forum. I went to the open house for engineer at the end of September and still haven’t heard back; meanwhile it seems most of you guys getting responses only had to wait two weeks or so.

Have you logged to MTA Careers to see what step you’re in? Like RedWing did.  

3 hours ago, 2ride said:

How does the cognitive test mental resiliency though? Mental resiliency is based on the job performance itself. That’s like saying someone who scored 2400 on SAT will get As at Harvard, not true. When you get the job, let us know if anything we got tested on cognitive is used in anyway on the job. 

Hey Bro you misinterpreted what I was saying I def think anyone that passes the cognitive should get a shot at the SnD. I'm saying the overall process how tedious it is. A cognitive test, interview immediately after, SnD test where if you get ONE signal wrong you fail, there's 128 signals !!! Then a Panel interview at the end of a long test day. This classes twice a week where you have to pass and maintain a certain grade through out the 6 weeks. It's intensive to weed people out, they can't just throw anybody except the elite of the elite to operate those Engines 

9 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Hey Bro you misinterpreted what I was saying I def think anyone that passes the cognitive should get a shot at the SnD. I'm saying the overall process how tedious it is. A cognitive test, interview immediately after, SnD test where if you get ONE signal wrong you fail, there's 128 signals !!! Then a Panel interview at the end of a long test day. This classes twice a week where you have to pass and maintain a certain grade through out the 6 weeks. It's intensive to weed people out, they can't just throw anybody except the elite of the elite to operate those Engines 

Honestly I don’t think they give a shit about the interview. It’s all based on cognitive score, which is a poor way to determine if somebody will pass the SnD.

You guys gotta remember. There’s about 100 guys invited to the open house. 60-70 pass. 30-40 highest scores invited to S&D. Out those 40, 20-25 will show up for the test. Out of those probable 10-15 will pass. If you didn’t make this time. They’ll probably invite you the next round. It’s a competitive job. Thousands apply including internals. It’s been like this forever. just gotta keep applying to any position just to get your foot in the door. 

23 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

You guys gotta remember. There’s about 100 guys invited to the open house. 60-70 pass. 30-40 highest scores invited to S&D. Out those 40, 20-25 will show up for the test. Out of those probable 10-15 will pass. If you didn’t make this time. They’ll probably invite you the next round. It’s a competitive job. Thousands apply including internals. It’s been like this forever. just gotta keep applying to any position just to get your foot in the door. 

We don’t know anything about the statistics of those who didn’t make it to SD ended up making it to SD the second time. 

12 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

Guys !!!! I get it tbh I was f**king DEPRESSED when I didn't hear back anything LEGIT Depressed man in the dumps. I want this so bad I'm at work studying right now !!! I didn't hear anything back for 6 Weeks !!!! Be Patient !! I have my SnD over view on Sunday 12/4 but one of my conductor friends held it down with signals package to get on it a little early !! Fellas I know it's hard !! I was waking up checking my email, refreshing my email aallll DAY Lllooonnnngggg it was  becoming unhealthy !!! Give it time legit 6 and a half weeks until I heard something Be Patient, keep your spirits up, I'm only writing this because I know that feeling of waiting and knowing others already got a overview invite. I wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemy!! LMAO.

Ive already finished my index cards for signals, 128 Signals, Took me like 20 hours writing and checking each and every one of them 3 times, gluing them on. These cards are like gold right now if someone offered me 5000 dollars for them I wouldn't trade them!!! BE PATIENT FELLAS !!! Just some kind words 

Oh wow you waited 6 weeks!? Although I know that common, I’m going on 3 weeks and it’s a bit worrisome that others that went to the same open house as me got invited already. But like you mentioned patience is key! My status on the portal still says “PASSED” so that a relief.

I sent a nice follow up email to the HR staff that invited me so hopefully that helps. Although I’m guessing I missed the cut off for the 12/4 S&D class. We’ll see!

13 hours ago, NH90 said:

Oh wow you waited 6 weeks!? Although I know that common, I’m going on 3 weeks and it’s a bit worrisome that others that went to the same open house as me got invited already. But like you mentioned patience is key! My status on the portal still says “PASSED” so that a relief.

I sent a nice follow up email to the HR staff that invited me so hopefully that helps. Although I’m guessing I missed the cut off for the 12/4 S&D class. We’ll see!

Listen man legit all my friends got an SnD invite before me. People I went to the open house with got it and I didn't  I felt like shit . Then a friend went to an open house 3 weeks after and got his Snd invite before me as well lol I was mentally going through it. I know how you feel man, just wait if you did ya thing on the interview it'll come man. Stay Blessed bro 

15 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Listen man legit all my friends got an SnD invite before me. People I went to the open house with got it and I didn't  I felt like shit . Then a friend went to an open house 3 weeks after and got his Snd invite before me as well lol I was mentally going through it. I know how you feel man, just wait if you did ya thing on the interview it'll come man. Stay Blessed bro 

The good thing about working for LIRR as of now is if you ever change your mind and want to move out to the upper areas of NY or Connecticut, you’ll be able to transfer into Metro North. I got a job offer yesterday as a contractor with Amtrak even though I won’t be directly an Amtrak employee. I hope to be able to move up quick and work on the train so I can transfer over to MTA within a year or two — that’s the goal, but it’s so hard to make it through these tough times!

Edited by 2ride

47 minutes ago, 2ride said:

The good thing about working for LIRR as of now is if you ever change your mind and want to move out to the upper areas of NY or Connecticut, you’ll be able to transfer into Metro North. I got a job offer yesterday as a contractor with Amtrak even though I won’t be directly an Amtrak employee. I hope to be able to move up quick and work on the train so I can transfer over to MTA within a year or two — that’s the goal, but it’s so hard to make it through these tough times!

You can’t just transfer to MetroNorth. You have to do the whole process again. For locomotive engineer you have to do the open house with cognitive exams and preliminary interviews and get invited to a S&D. Two different agencies under one umbrella. Different unions  for both. 

Edited by drenyce311

44 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

You can’t just transfer to MetroNorth. You have to do the whole process again. For locomotive engineer you have to do the open house with cognitive exams and preliminary interviews and get invited to a S&D. Two different agencies under one umbrella. Different unions  for both. 

Except for Signals and Definitions, you can get a few wrong and still get hired because they trust you’ll be able to turn those wrongs into rights once you’re on the job. 

Edited by 2ride

1 hour ago, LinkyOG said:

Damn you really went through it! Yes, I’m actually an internal candidate and dying to leave my agency so hoping it works out. Thanks for the encouraging words! OT but you calling me bro sounds so funny to me. I’m a 👩 haha reminds me of my husband when he talks with his friends. Anyway good luck with the studying. You got it!

16 minutes ago, NH90 said:

Damn you really went through it! Yes, I’m actually an internal candidate and dying to leave my agency so hoping it works out. Thanks for the encouraging words! OT but you calling me bro sounds so funny to me. I’m a 👩 haha reminds me of my husband when he talks with his friends. Anyway good luck with the studying. You got it!

Metro north had a locomotive engineer posting up a while ago. Did you apply? There’s always that same opportunity on the other end if this one doesn’t work out.

5 hours ago, 2ride said:

Metro north had a locomotive engineer posting up a while ago. Did you apply? There’s always that same opportunity on the other end if this one doesn’t work out.

I didn’t because I live on the island so it wouldn’t be convenient for me unfortunately. MTAPD posting is coming up Dec 1st if you’re interested. Another lucrative position at the MTA. Ya never know!

6 hours ago, 2ride said:

Except for Signals and Definitions, you can get a few wrong and still get hired because they trust you’ll be able to turn those wrongs into rights once you’re on the job. 

Just spoke to one my of sources at at MNRR (engineer). He said you need a 100% for signals and 80 for the indications & definitions to pass. Just like LIRR. 

22 minutes ago, NH90 said:

I didn’t because I live on the island so it wouldn’t be convenient for me unfortunately. MTAPD posting is coming up Dec 1st if you’re interested. Another lucrative position at the MTA. Ya never know!

It shouldn’t deter you from applying. There are plenty of MNRR engineers and conductors who live on the island. And vice versa. There are plenty of us that live in PA, DE, NJ too. 

2 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

It shouldn’t deter you from applying. There are plenty of MNRR engineers and conductors who live on the island. And vice versa. There are plenty of us that live in PA, DE, NJ too. 

Yes that true. I just figured since they only give 3 hour windows to get to your first job I wouldn’t want to jeopardize it by being stuck in traffic. Plus as a newbie I’m not sure if all my tours would start at Grand Central or another MNR station?That’d be a bit of a headache coming from the island if I’d get called to a location further up state. I’m not too familiar with their yards.

40 minutes ago, NH90 said:

Yes that true. I just figured since they only give 3 hour windows to get to your first job I wouldn’t want to jeopardize it by being stuck in traffic. Plus as a newbie I’m not sure if all my tours would start at Grand Central or another MNR station?That’d be a bit of a headache coming from the island if I’d get called to a location further up state. I’m not too familiar with their yards.

Don’t forget there’s NJT and Amtrak also. And to be fair, MNRR’s cognitive when I took it wasn’t extremely difficult compared to LIRR. I found their cognitive portion to actually be fair, and at the end of the day, they’d hire people with train experience already over people coming from off the streets (still doesn’t hurt to apply you never know). The cognitives need to be fair for everyone who applies for these positions, idk why LIRR made it so hard for. And again, I think everyone who pass cognitives should get a chance to take S&D, idk why they would weed us out like that. 

I have a question for anyone that could answer.  If you failed the interview like I did, are you really frozen out from any other positions?  I applied for Block Operator in March, and concerned that I'm messed over for that one too even though they haven't invited me to anything yet for that.

6 minutes ago, Red5Xwing said:

I have a question for anyone that could answer.  If you failed the interview like I did, are you really frozen out from any other positions?  I applied for Block Operator in March, and concerned that I'm messed over for that one too even though they haven't invited me to anything yet for that.

I wouldn’t think so. These are all different crafts. But for block operator, station master, yardmaster are all part of transportation department. Maybe you have to wait the year. I would think if they popped your name in the system it would show what you applied for. But for a fact I do know let’s say you make it into the program and fail out during any portion. You’re black listed from ANY transportation nationwide. This is what I was told from training.