LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

1 hour ago, Djf22 said:

How do you know they denied you ?

I got called back through a phone. But I’m losing my hopes and esteem with every second passing by. I’m suppose to get an interview with metro north soon for a cleaners and have a feeling they’re going to disappoint me as well. 

Edited by 2ride

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/9/2022 at 5:08 PM, Trains248 said:

What’s up, wanted to know if you heard. anything back as well about the S&D overview

I haven’t heard anything yet. Starting to get discouraged seeing that others are getting further along even though our open house was a month earlier lol

Hi everyone passed cognitive test yesterday and during the exploratory interview I asked if you choose to continue with my application and I'm accepted to take S&D test when will I be notified. The guy giving me interview said we won't be choosing we have chose to continue to expect a packet emailed within a week. Guess I did really well on cognitive test cause they didn't give me any scores.

47 minutes ago, J3737 said:

I haven’t heard anything yet. Starting to get discouraged seeing that others are getting further along even though our open house was a month earlier lol

Yeah it seems like everyone who went to open house the month after Are being called. I wonder if anyone from our open house was called for the s&d overview.

1 hour ago, J3737 said:

Well, I wouldn’t be surprised. I expect more discouragements to come along the way in this thread. I predict next week if I have my cleaners interview with metro north, I will get denied. f**k all of this stupid game system MTA plays just to screw your life and career like that.

13 hours ago, DanTheTransitMan said:

I got one question: They asked me to go in on November 17th, on the form on the MTA's website it says you don't need a drivers license (I don't have one) but on the form they sent me it says that a drivers is needed. Do I need a drivers license to become a LIRR train operator?

Maybe you don't really need one per se but I think any form of government-issued ID will do. As for when you get on the job, I wonder how you'll get from home to yards located within NYC limits and throughout Long Island with the amount of time they give you. 

EDIT: I think they said you don't actually need to own a car but a driver's license is kinda required for the job. Since you're operating heavy machinery, they expect you to at least be able to operate a much smaller automobile. I think your driver license may be tied to your federal certification?

Edited by danielhg121

14 hours ago, DanTheTransitMan said:

I got one question: They asked me to go in on November 17th, on the form on the MTA's website it says you don't need a drivers license (I don't have one) but on the form they sent me it says that a drivers is needed. Do I need a drivers license to become a LIRR train operator?

For engineer? I believe so. For conductor I don’t think so. Our drivers license is tied with our Engineer License. If for anytime your DL gets suspended or revoked. So does your EL

20 hours ago, mnoer48 said:

Hi everyone passed cognitive test yesterday and during the exploratory interview I asked if you choose to continue with my application and I'm accepted to take S&D test when will I be notified. The guy giving me interview said we won't be choosing we have chose to continue to expect a packet emailed within a week. Guess I did really well on cognitive test cause they didn't give me any scores.

Hey idk what you were trying to say here bro I read this over like 5 times you saying for everyone they choose within a week ?

4 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

Hey idk what you were trying to say here bro I read this over like 5 times you saying for everyone they choose within a week ?

What's up man. I was saying I asked him if you choose to continue with my application and he stopped me and said you have been chosen to look out for a&d booklet within a week in email

19 minutes ago, mnoer48 said:

What's up man. I was saying I asked him if you choose to continue with my application and he stopped me and said you have been chosen to look out for a&d booklet within a week in email

Can you tell us what criterias are they looking for when choosing people for SD overview?

1 hour ago, mnoer48 said:

So that’s it??? If they don’t email you within a week you gotta wait till next year? There’s no second round picks?

9 hours ago, Djf22 said:

So that’s it??? If they don’t email you within a week you gotta wait till next year? There’s no second round picks?

That's what I'm saying right like just give people a chance to pass that SnD atleast bro like it's insane. I don't even know where I could have messed up on that interview tbh that cognitive was easy. I hope their still choosing people smh

15 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

That's what I'm saying right like just give people a chance to pass that SnD atleast bro like it's insane. I don't even know where I could have messed up on that interview tbh that cognitive was easy. I hope their still choosing people smh

Metro North has a locomotive engineer posting up. Did you apply to that one also? 

On 11/11/2022 at 11:29 AM, drenyce311 said:

For engineer? I believe so. For conductor I don’t think so. Our drivers license is tied with our Engineer License. If for anytime your DL gets suspended or revoked. So does your EL

It’s the reverse on the website, I genuinely don’t think that you need your license. But if you do (at least your permit), it would be beneficial.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:07 PM, DanTheTransitMan said:

Federal statute doesn’t require a license but if you do have one, you are required to provide that information for compliance as a LIRR locomotive engineer is federally certified.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:06 PM, Trains248 said:

Hey how are you? Wanted to know if you heard anything back regarding the s&d overview ?

Nothing. Just as confused as you are. I find it hard to believe that they’re picky enough that all 3 of us from 9/28 were rejected with no contact yet according to drenyce they had a 0% pass rate for the last S&D test.

57 minutes ago, Def said:

Federal statute doesn’t require a license but if you do have one, you are required to provide that information for compliance as a LIRR locomotive engineer is federally certified.

Nothing. Just as confused as you are. I find it hard to believe that they’re picky enough that all 3 of us from 9/28 were rejected with no contact yet according to drenyce they had a 0% pass rate for the last S&D test.

I oversold myself during the interview and I still didn’t get picked. They did reach back to me after I tried getting in touch with them several times and said I didn’t score high enough. I don’t know the name of the person who interviewed me, but I find the whole mta hiring process to just be very awkward sometimes, especially since the interviewer also claimed I wasn’t a fit. I listed every single thing I could think of for conductor and engineer though. They should at least let us have a chance to take the SD exam since not everyone they picked will pass it.

Edited by 2ride

24 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I oversold myself during the interview and I still didn’t get picked. They did reach back to me after I tried getting in touch with them several times and said I didn’t score high enough. I don’t know the name of the person who interviewed me, but I find the whole mta hiring process to just be very awkward sometimes, especially since the interviewer also claimed I wasn’t a fit. I listed every single thing I could think of for conductor and engineer though. They should at least let us have a chance to take the SD exam since not everyone they picked will pass it.

They made their choice and they informed you. You can’t change their mind at this point.

It’s better not to dwell on it, you’ll make a much better impression at that MNR cleaner interview if you leave your disappointment behind.

Anyway, you’re confusing people in this thread because you were up for conductor not engineer. It’s not helping anyone in this thread.

2 minutes ago, Def said:

They made their choice and they informed you. You can’t change their mind at this point.

It’s better not to dwell on it, you’ll make a much better impression at that MNR cleaner interview if you leave your disappointment behind.

Anyway, you’re confusing people in this thread because you were up for conductor not engineer. It’s not helping anyone in this thread.

Conductor thread isn’t active. I’ve used this as a substitution.

Edited by 2ride

1 hour ago, 2ride said:

Who did you call is it even worth calling?

Oh Welp. Look at me practising self preservation. Is this the way the MNR/LIRR keep certain demographics out or keep it at minimum. 🤔🤔 plus the history of licensure in the US. hmm ok, I  guess. Companies acting like they always gonna have a swath of people to play the ass with. 😗