LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

5 hours ago, misslo said:

Oh Welp. Look at me practising self preservation. Is this the way the MNR/LIRR keep certain demographics out or keep it at minimum. 🤔🤔 plus the history of licensure in the US. hmm ok, I  guess. Companies acting like they always gonna have a swath of people to play the ass with. 😗

Each class is a diverse crowd. They can only have 12 at time since they’re usually 4 classes overlapping each other. So trying to have all those students scheduled for different branches is already tight. 

• +Young+ featured, pinned and unfeatured this topic

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dremoney9972 said:

Anyone who attended recruitment event last Wednesday hear anything yet? Anxiously awaiting a call... Hopefully. 

Still waiting as well! Checking my email everyday. Keep us posted if you hear anything going forward. 

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

Do you absolutely need your drivers license or is it optional?

Pretty sure your federal locomotive engineer license will be tied to your driver's license so I would get it. Even then, to perform the duties of an engineer, you're given 3 hours to report anywhere on the railroad so not having a driver's license is pretty detrimental to getting there on-time.

4 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Pretty sure your federal locomotive engineer license will be tied to your driver's license so I would get it. Even then, to perform the duties of an engineer, you're given 3 hours to report anywhere on the railroad so not having a driver's license is pretty detrimental to getting there on-time.

The person who took and looked over my application said you don't need a driver's license for engineer, I think it's more a matter of being able to get to the jobs wherever and when you need to be there, but it's not in the job description as necessary. 

I have a question, I applied for the Track Worker for LIRR on MY MTA portal and the screening results went from pass pre screening to passed. I just don't want to miss the opportunity. Does anyone know a email or phone number I can call to check what's going on.  It could really help. Thank you 

11 hours ago, dremoney9972 said:

The person who took and looked over my application said you don't need a driver's license for engineer, I think it's more a matter of being able to get to the jobs wherever and when you need to be there, but it's not in the job description as necessary. 

They lied to some of the people that failed then. Also, if you are in a unionized position that has you locked in for a period of time (for me, it’s one year), they’ll dismiss you, but your application and test scores are still valid, which means they’ll bring you in after your probation is over. So for those who are still in probation but want to take the test, do so, because you’ll be in quicker than you think.

On 11/16/2022 at 8:08 PM, Killjoy27 said:

Still waiting too. I wonder how often people are ruled out after the cognitive due to their interview?

The guy who interviewed me said I did well on test and they will be moving forward with my application to wait for S&D packet in email. Just waiting now. Hopefully it's sooner than later.

On 11/17/2022 at 3:57 PM, Mohamed said:

I have a question, I applied for the Track Worker for LIRR on MY MTA portal and the screening results went from pass pre screening to passed. I just don't want to miss the opportunity. Does anyone know a email or phone number I can call to check what's going on.  It could really help. Thank you 

I have had at least a dozen or so applications where mine shows the same thing. I honestly am convinced it means nothing. Unfortunately there is no easy way to get in contact with them, especially the specific HR department for which you applied. Even positions where I’ve had 1 on 1 interviews with, they basically always ghost you if you’re not chosen and won’t even reply anyway with a simple denial so you can move on. Only thing you can do is wait and hope for the best! 

3 hours ago, mnoer48 said:

The guy who interviewed me said I did well on test and they will be moving forward with my application to wait for S&D packet in email. Just waiting now. Hopefully it's sooner than later.

I see, my guy didn't say much, but he just wasn't a talkative person I guess. But how he was talking sounds like he figures that they'll be going ahead with me but didn't want to say it out right as he did get into telling me about how much of a commitment it is to study for S&D and all that

18 hours ago, Killjoy27 said:

I see, my guy didn't say much, but he just wasn't a talkative person I guess. But how he was talking sounds like he figures that they'll be going ahead with me but didn't want to say it out right as he did get into telling me about how much of a commitment it is to study for S&D and all that

Guy that interviewed told me several times the application was good for a year not sure if that means anything. Also if I apply next year do they look at the previous application 

I received an email saying I get to move forward with the s&d portion, but then underneath that it says:

"If you have attended the LIRR Overview and/or Exam for Assistant Conductor Trainee, Block Operator Trainee, Locomotive Engineer Trainee, Yardmaster and Assistant Stationmaster within the past 12 months please disregard this invitation."

So does that mean I get to move forward and go to the meeting or that I just disregard the email altogether and do nothing and still play the waiting game?

35 minutes ago, KLebz said:

I received an email saying I get to move forward with the s&d portion, but then underneath that it says:

"If you have attended the LIRR Overview and/or Exam for Assistant Conductor Trainee, Block Operator Trainee, Locomotive Engineer Trainee, Yardmaster and Assistant Stationmaster within the past 12 months please disregard this invitation."

So does that mean I get to move forward and go to the meeting or that I just disregard the email altogether and do nothing and still play the waiting game?

Did you attend an S&D overview class for any position in the last 12 months? If so, what happened when you took the test associated with that overview class? If you passed the test, your passing score should apply for this job application as well. 

12 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

Did you attend an S&D overview class for any position in the last 12 months? If so, what happened when you took the test associated with that overview class? If you passed the test, your passing score should apply for this job application as well. 

If you’re already employed with another MTA agency and transferring over to LIRR, do they actually give a shit about the cognitive scores or not at all? If you transfer from Amtrak to LIRR, do the cognitive scores also matter or not a bit?

7 hours ago, 2ride said:

@drenyce311 do you know people who didn’t make it to SD overview the first time after they passed cognitive, but ended up making it to SD overview when they reapplied in 1-3 years? Cuz I’ve only heard of ppl who failed SD overview and passed it the second time.

I don’t know anyone personally. Just the people here who didn’t make it that I know of. 

Edited by drenyce311

3 hours ago, 2ride said:

If you’re already employed with another MTA agency and transferring over to LIRR, do they actually give a shit about the cognitive scores or not at all? If you transfer from Amtrak to LIRR, do the cognitive scores also matter or not a bit?

It’s like you’re starting fresh. They don’t care if you’re coming from transit, path, NJT or Amtrak. Gotta pass the cognitive tests to move forward. 

6 hours ago, Two2Go said:

I haven't gone to any S&D yet, just the recruitment event where they had everyone take the cognitive tests and interview. So idk if they're talking about that, to disregard it,  or saying if you already took S&D to disregard it.

4 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

I don’t know anyone personally. Just the people here who didn’t make it that I know of. 

Wouldn’t it be better if they gave everybody who pass the cognitive a chance to pass the SD also instead of skipping out some people? The cognitive scores aren’t the best measures for determining if someone can do the job or not.

Edited by 2ride

34 minutes ago, 2ride said:

Wouldn’t it be better if they gave everybody who pass the cognitive a chance to pass the SD also instead of skipping out some people? The cognitive scores aren’t the best measures for determining if someone can do the job or not.

Couldn’t agree with you more

Good afternoon Fellas,

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, I was messed up really down and out after not hearing from anyone after the open house and seeing a lot of my friends get called today on 11/25 after over a month I got my invitation to the SnD overview for December 4th !!!!!! This is it, time to buckle down and disappear until January 8th! Thank you for making this Forum again Dre and I WILL pass this and let you guys know wassup. Stay Blessed Happy Holidays everyone !