LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Djf22 said:

Is it better to drive there for the signal overview or take the train also if I take the train what stop would I get off at ?

Where is the Signals and definition overview being held? If it’s in Hillside. Take the train to Hillside. They would’ve sent the schedule for the trains that stop there. its street parking. First come first serve. street Parking is usually packed my 7-730am. 

Edited by drenyce311

On 12/11/2022 at 12:42 AM, mnoer48 said:

Noticed that the Signals and Indications study booklet does not have all the material. There are a few Pedestal signals. Limited Clear and Approach Limited are not in booklet they handed out at Dec. 4  S&D Overview. Has anyone realized this either?

Hey I was at the December 4th overview as well. Those signals are in the Amtrak signals bro, after you go through the whole packet there's like 20 Amtrak signals and 5 new GCT ones 

1 hour ago, LinkyOG said:

Hey I was at the December 4th overview as well. Those signals are in the Amtrak signals bro, after you go through the whole packet there's like 20 Amtrak signals and 5 new GCT ones 

What's up bud. Yeah I see the Amtrak ones but they're all color lights. If you look at tips page  there's one certain signal that was not in packet. It's #1 I believe it's a Limited Clear. It's a position light that has 3 horizontal on top and 3 vertical on bottom w/ only the bottom flashing. Let me know if u notice the same thing. Unless my booklet was missing a page or two.

9 hours ago, mnoer48 said:

What's up bud. Yeah I see the Amtrak ones but they're all color lights. If you look at tips page  there's one certain signal that was not in packet. It's #1 I believe it's a Limited Clear. It's a position light that has 3 horizontal on top and 3 vertical on bottom w/ only the bottom flashing. Let me know if u notice the same thing. Unless my booklet was missing a page or two.

Oh yeah that one the big guy and the woman both specifically said that signal is no longer used. They said they took it out of service last year. I wrote a note next to it and crossed it out. I was sitting in the front row of the overview collecting the papers.... next to the guy that got locked out/ kicked out lol smh

10 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Any advice on how to study these signals and definitions made the flash cards but with so many signals with same meaning there don’t really seem to be any similarities 

Literally nothing just go over them over and over and over again I've done it over 100 times now start with the easy ones and keep going over them every single day because YOU WILL FORGET I've forgotten and had to learn them all over smh. Just getting to the Amtrak Zone A signals now and my mind is blown like my brain is scattered in a million places. I've also been told by others the definitions are a lot harder than the signals, I haven't even gotten started on those yet I have a little over 3 weeks left 

1 hour ago, LinkyOG said:

Literally nothing just go over them over and over and over again I've done it over 100 times now start with the easy ones and keep going over them every single day because YOU WILL FORGET I've forgotten and had to learn them all over smh. Just getting to the Amtrak Zone A signals now and my mind is blown like my brain is scattered in a million places. I've also been told by others the definitions are a lot harder than the signals, I haven't even gotten started on those yet I have a little over 3 weeks left 

I would advise to start definitions right away. Don’t wait until 2 weeks before to start. Start by adding the easy ones to your signals everyday. Then keep adding a few a day. 

6 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

I would advise to start definitions right away. Don’t wait until 2 weeks before to start. Start by adding the easy ones to your signals everyday. Then keep adding a few a day. 

When an engineer gives you advice... you listen, Roger that !!! 

On 12/13/2022 at 9:12 PM, LinkyOG said:

I thought we are taking only signals exam on Jan 8, and then if we pass that we come back for definitions?

On 12/14/2022 at 6:51 AM, 2ride said:

@drenyce311 what’s the work environment like over here? Do you have a lot of snitchers around? A lot of companies got these pests and goons hired and then consider getting other people fired secretively 

The environment is what you make the job to be. Are you the type that sees the glass half empty or half full? The job has its moments. Sometimes you’re running 10-12 trains a day. Sometimes 4 trains. Especially when you’re new and getting called for work at all different times of the day.sometimes you’re on AMs, sometimes mid days and sometimes late nights.  As for snitches getting hired. It’s too much at stake for someone to come in and study just to snitch. Lol. We got good managers around. But you have your few bad apples just like any other job. A lot of the young guys become managers because they hate working trains and they’ll get a better schedule and qualify of life (this really applies for new conductors that become managers). 

1 hour ago, bigshop said:

I thought we are taking only signals exam on Jan 8, and then if we pass that we come back for definitions?

That’s a negative. It’s going to be both in one day. 2 part test. signals test first then indications and definition test after. I don’t remember the time allotted. It could be anywhere between 1.5 - 2 hours. Not sure how they’re doing it now. When I did mines as soon as you finished the signals test they gave you the indications and definitions test right after. I’ve heard now that they wait for everyone to finish the signals test and whoever passed will be able to take the second part once everyone’s done. 

3 hours ago, bigshop said:

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

That’s a negative. It’s going to be both in one day. 2 part test. signals test first then indications and definition test after. I don’t remember the time allotted. It could be anywhere between 1.5 - 2 hours. Not sure how they’re doing it now. When I did mines as soon as you finished the signals test they gave you the indications and definitions test right after. I’ve heard now that they wait for everyone to finish the signals test and whoever passed will be able to take the second part once everyone’s done. 

Yeah bro, I sincerely hope you've gotten the majority of those signals down, should be just fine tuning and getting wording right now. Like Dre said it's Signals, Indication, and Definitions on January 8th they made it pretty clear and it even says it in your handouts..... 

However the instructor said for the past couple SnD's they've had problems with people legit crying and breaking down, saying there's no way they could have failed the signals part and demanding they show them  or they won't leave....yeah..... So now... they just let everyone take all 3 parts and you don't find out there, you legit just find out days or weeks later because they got tired of dealing with emotions they'd end up staying a couple extra hours because it turned into a therapy session for those that failed. 

I'm really thinking about respectfully and patiently  waiting until the end of the test and when most people leave requesting for the test to be graded there if they allow it. Simply so I could just know and have peace of mind. I'm legit investing  Hundreds of hours into this I'd rather just rip the bandaid off right there. 

6 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Yeah bro, I sincerely hope you've gotten the majority of those signals down, should be just fine tuning and getting wording right now. Like Dre said it's Signals, Indication, and Definitions on January 8th they made it pretty clear and it even says it in your handouts..... 

However the instructor said for the past couple SnD's they've had problems with people legit crying and breaking down, saying there's no way they could have failed the signals part and demanding they show them  or they won't leave....yeah..... So now... they just let everyone take all 3 parts and you don't find out there, you legit just find out days or weeks later because they got tired of dealing with emotions they'd end up staying a couple extra hours because it turned into a therapy session for those that failed. 

I'm really thinking about respectfully and patiently  waiting until the end of the test and when most people leave requesting for the test to be graded there if they allow it. Simply so I could just know and have peace of mind. I'm legit investing  Hundreds of hours into this I'd rather just rip the bandaid off right there. 

Wow. That’s nuts. We didn’t find out until days later. I took the test Friday and left for VA that afternoon.  I got a call Tuesday morning from HR that I passed. 

35 minutes ago, Mnoer4883 said:

Any previous takers have any keywords they remember that were on the test they took that probably will be on ours? They gave us a few that they said the punctuation will def count on so I'm guessing those are probably a few. Will they really put like TRAIN or SCHEDULE on it lol

Every test is different. They have about 20 different tests they pick from. The signals is signals. But all the other stuff can change from test to test. 

18 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

The environment is what you make the job to be. Are you the type that sees the glass half empty or half full? The job has its moments. Sometimes you’re running 10-12 trains a day. Sometimes 4 trains. Especially when you’re new and getting called for work at all different times of the day.sometimes you’re on AMs, sometimes mid days and sometimes late nights.  As for snitches getting hired. It’s too much at stake for someone to come in and study just to snitch. Lol. We got good managers around. But you have your few bad apples just like any other job. A lot of the young guys become managers because they hate working trains and they’ll get a better schedule and qualify of life (this really applies for new conductors that become managers). 

Aren’t you glad you’re unionized? Those bad people could’ve easily got you out of that door without one.