Amtrak to Montauk

NYSubwayBuff

I agree. I don't think Acela Express fleet wouldn't work.

If Acela Express was used for LIRR Cannonball, I think LIRR will throw their trash like regular train, not in care to clean.

Hampton Jitney buses and Ambasaddor Classes are more frequent there.

I think quiet car could implement on westbound (1st car) and eastbound (last car) of BiLevel trains.

You CAN use the 700 series P32ACDM Genesis units with the Amfleet cars as the 3rd rail pickup shoes are set to LIRR's overrunning connection. But you'd also have to consider the reason that the LIRR went their own design with the dual modes as opposed to going with a (only) proven model such as the GE Genesis

I won't write that off completely. Something like this was on the table for a while when Amtrak was proposing new alignments for a true high speed right of way. I remember that a row through Long island then across the sound to new haven.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amtrak-could-build-proposed-18-mile-underwater-tunnel-for-high-speed-rail-service-2012-9

It's off the table now and it would not have gone to babylon or montauk, but the idea of running the acela to long island was there.

I actually think it's one of the best alignments of the ones that are proposed.

What was the reason that Lirr went with EMD not GE? The only reason I have found was price and LIRR management at the time had/have an affinity for EMD.

On the specific topic of Amtrak to Montauk, if they did run trains it would have to be the good ole genesis locos. The Acela or another electric loco would require too much infrastructure work.

People may pay more for a more comfortable ride. The ride to Montauk is almost 3 hrs, and it's grueling in the c3 seats. The Canonball is always sold out and STR, maybe Amtrak could help with the load issue. I think the LIRR would run more Cannonballs but they simply don't have enough equipment.

I won't write that off completely. Something like this was on the table for a while when Amtrak was proposing new alignments for a true high speed right of way. I remember that a row through Long island then across the sound to new haven.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amtrak-could-build-proposed-18-mile-underwater-tunnel-for-high-speed-rail-service-2012-9

It's off the table now and it would not have gone to babylon or montauk, but the idea of running the acela to long island was there.

I actually think it's one of the best alignments of the ones that are proposed.

What was the reason that Lirr went with EMD not GE? The only reason I have found was price and LIRR management at the time had/have an affinity for EMD.

On the specific topic of Amtrak to Montauk, if they did run trains it would have to be the good ole genesis locos. The Acela or another electric loco would require too much infrastructure work.

People may pay more for a more comfortable ride. The ride to Montauk is almost 3 hrs, and it's grueling in the c3 seats. The Canonball is always sold out and STR, maybe Amtrak could help with the load issue. I think the LIRR would run more Cannonballs but they simply don't have enough equipment.

LIRR management got fancy because they wanted a diesel to handle its many closely spaced station stops. Then, too, there was a "Buy New York" stipulation in the contract which EMD agreed to do the job at Super Steel in Schenectady (Trains Magazine's Joe Greenstein, RIP)

As far as enough equipment, if Amtrak hadn't had the great New York State "boondoggle" with the Turboliners, I'm sure they could've gotten use out in that neck of the woods

LIRR management got fancy because they wanted a diesel to handle its many closely spaced station stops. Then, too, there was a "Buy New York" stipulation in the contract which EMD agreed to do the job at Super Steel in Schenectady (Trains Magazine's Joe Greenstein, RIP)

As far as enough equipment, if Amtrak hadn't had the great New York State "boondoggle" with the Turboliners, I'm sure they could've gotten use out in that neck of the woods

I remember the buy nyc clause, but I would assume GE would have just opened up a shop upstate. EMD fit the bill at the time, but the competition now from siemens and GE, I wouldn't assume EMD would get the next contract.

I've personally never liked the turboliners. Turbines use 65% of power at idle as compared to WOT (full speed). The economics were never there for the turboliners. That's why Amtrak sacked them, even though they performed decently well, But by the time the retrofit was done, the Acela was not only in production, but out on the track. The Acela is a lot cheaper to run than the turbos and Amtrak wanted no part in running them. Bombardier tried to bring that idea back with the Jettrain a turbine power HST based on the Acela train set. Not one buyer for it and it never went into production (besides the prototype), which could have been used on several Amtrak routes (nyp-alb) and could have been used from Penn to Montauk.

I remember the buy nyc clause, but I would assume GE would have just opened up a shop upstate. EMD fit the bill at the time, but the competition now from siemens and GE, I wouldn't assume EMD would get the next contract.

I've personally never liked the turboliners. Turbines use 65% of power at idle as compared to WOT (full speed). The economics were never there for the turboliners. That's why Amtrak sacked them, even though they performed decently well, But by the time the retrofit was done, the Acela was not only in production, but out on the track. The Acela is a lot cheaper to run than the turbos and Amtrak wanted no part in running them. Bombardier tried to bring that idea back with the Jettrain a turbine power HST based on the Acela train set. Not one buyer for it and it never went into production (besides the prototype), which could have been used on several Amtrak routes (nyp-alb) and could have been used from Penn to Montauk.

Remember EMD was in boom times and was using Super Steel to assume units for CIT, IC, UP and others too so the cost was there for EMD to do the LIRR contract there without too much extra cost.

Archived