Charleston Depot now has Prevosts

Via Garibaldi 8

Well it took so long to get a new depot on Staten Island (a good 20 years+) that by the time Charleston was opened, just about all of the space had already been accounted for, so all the new depot did was alleviate overcrowding at Castleton and Yukon. Castleton is in poor shape and Yukon is not exactly a modern facility either.  Meredith isn't really a full fledged depot, and quite frankly it should be given the location.  They should expand there and build a modern depot that can hold even more buses, then rehabilitate or tear down Yukon and Castleton accordingly.  Last I heard there were talks about a 5th depot and supposedly they had already located space for it, but I haven't heard anything since.  That was a few years ago when I was still living on Staten Island.  The census is that more express bus service is still needed along with local bus service in order to meet the rapid population growth (particularly on the South Shore, hence all of the new X17, X21 and X22 express bus service), and those expansions will be difficult until another depot is built.

Before Charleston opened, they had a legitimate excuse because both Yukon and Castleton were so overcrowded that they really had no room to maintain the fleet and meet the demands of service, hence why they needed to borrow buses from time to time from other depots just to make service, in addition to the age of most of their fleet.  Nevertheless, Yukon will always be the crown jewel when it comes to new buses because of the lines that it serves, particularly the X1.  The mileage and the beating that those buses have to the take don't leave the (MTA) much of a choice but to give them the new fleet first, but if their maintenance was better, they wouldn't be in such a crisis, because they don't really take care of their fleet.

A 5th depot? Staten Island only has about 700 or so buses? 5 depots are kinda overkill. As for the fleet, I agree. Back in 2007 or so, all they had were older MCI D4500s (first generations as I like to call them), Orion Vs, and a handful of RTS's. I mean their newest Express buses were from 2001-2002 and locals were from 1999. Personally, I believe the fleet has somewhat improved since they gotten the NG hybrids and later the 3G Clean diesels as well as Prevosts and MCI D4500CL/CTs. 

Well it took so long to get a new depot on Staten Island (a good 20 years+) that by the time Charleston was opened, just about all of the space had already been accounted for, so all the new depot did was alleviate overcrowding at Castleton and Yukon. Castleton is in poor shape and Yukon is not exactly a modern facility either.  Meredith isn't really a full fledged depot, and quite frankly it should be given the location.  They should expand there and build a modern depot that can hold even more buses, then rehabilitate or tear down Yukon and Castleton accordingly.  Last I heard there were talks about a 5th depot and supposedly they had already located space for it, but I haven't heard anything since.  That was a few years ago when I was still living on Staten Island.  The census is that more express bus service is still needed along with local bus service in order to meet the rapid population growth (particularly on the South Shore, hence all of the new X17, X21 and X22 express bus service), and those expansions will be difficult until another depot is built.

Before Charleston opened, they had a legitimate excuse because both Yukon and Castleton were so overcrowded that they really had no room to maintain the fleet and meet the demands of service, hence why they needed to borrow buses from time to time from other depots just to make service, in addition to the age of most of their fleet.  Nevertheless, Yukon will always be the crown jewel when it comes to new buses because of the lines that it serves, particularly the X1.  The mileage and the beating that those buses have to the take don't leave the (MTA) much of a choice but to give them the new fleet first, but if their maintenance was better, they wouldn't be in such a crisis, because they don't really take care of their fleet.

Well this is just a hypothetical scenario, if CAS closed:

Meridith-S40/90, 46/96, 48/98, 62/92, X10, 11, 12/42, 14, 30

Yukon-S42, 51/81, 52, 53/93, 54, 57, 66, X21

Charelston-S59 (Tottenville runs)

A 5th depot? Staten Island only has about 700 or so buses? 5 depots are kinda overkill. As for the fleet, I agree. Back in 2007 or so, all they had were older MCI D4500s (first generations as I like to call them), Orion Vs, and a handful of RTS's. I mean their newest Express buses were from 2001-2002 and locals were from 1999. Personally, I believe the fleet has somewhat improved since they gotten the NG hybrids and later the 3G Clean diesels as well as Prevosts and MCI D4500CL/CTs. 

Given the fact that Meredith isn't a full depot that really only makes three, so it isn't overkill.

Where would they even point a 5th depot? 

I'm not sure of the exact location, but from what I heard, a site had been considered... The article below should give you an idea of the situation.  It's a bit outdated... The "fourth" depot that they speak of is actually Meredith "Depot" though it isn't a full depot... More like a parking garage if that.

http://www.silive.com/transportation/index.ssf/2008/09/2_new_staten_island_bus_depots.html

I'm not sure of the exact location, but from what I heard, a site had been considered... The article below should give you an idea of the situation.  It's a bit outdated... The "fourth" depot that they speak of is actually Meredith "Depot" though it isn't a full depot... More like a parking garage if that.

http://www.silive.com/transportation/index.ssf/2008/09/2_new_staten_island_bus_depots.html

I see, whatever happened to Edgewater depot though? How big was it?

Edgewater Depot goes back years ago.  I don't know how big it was, but it was located near the water, hence the name. The depot was destroyed from a fire.

Oh, I didn't know that. I just heard that it had a partially collapse and that two WMATA Metrobuses that were on loan to the MTA had fallen into the upper New York Bay. 

I never been on a prevost before but does it feel different compare to riding on the MCI D4500s? I sometimes take the QM17 from where I live. I would not think that Far Rockaway Depot would not get any prevost anytime soon since the MCI D4500s are in good condition.

I never been on a prevost before but does it feel different compare to riding on the MCI D4500s? I sometimes take the QM17 from where I live. I would not think that Far Rockaway Depot would not get any prevost anytime soon since the MCI D4500s are in good condition.

Yes, there are some differences in terms of the air control, overhead lighting, and the actual seats.  I prefer the MCI D4500's.  The Prevosts have electric plugs to charge your phone or other electronics, but so do the D4500s.  The seats are also lower on the Prevosts and wheelchair seats are in different locations.  Getting on the Prevosts is a little easier, but also trickier because of the way the steps are laid out.  Overall you're not missing anything.  

Any word on when Castleton or Meredith should be getting these? Some of those old D4500s look like they're on their last leg.

Likely late next year. The delivery order from what I have been told is Yukon, Ulmer Park, Charleston, Castleton and Charleston again. Meredith will be getting some of the hand-me-down buses.

Likely late next year. The delivery order from what I have been told is Yukon, Ulmer Park, Charleston, Castleton and Charleston again. Meredith will be getting some of the hand-me-down buses.

OMG... HORRIBLE... They could use some new buses because the X12 I was on was disgusting.  They obviously don't have a washing facility for the buses at Meredith.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on 2490 on the x19 last night. Smooth ride, plus the HOV lane on the SIE was kinda cool (for as long as we could use it).

If you look at the destination sign on the bus, the run number is digitally displayed beneath the route, Here is my rough drawing.

t0raro.jpg

Also, I noticed that the buses have a Wifi SSID broadcast as MTA2490, in the BBT we were behind MTA2411, They are protected FYI.

If you look at the operator panel there is a cool screen which you can adjust all the environment variables. I like that.

But I am a fan of the MCI's. Especially the NJT D4000's (Jake Brakes!) :)

I was on 2490 on the x19 last night. Smooth ride, plus the HOV lane on the SIE was kinda cool (for as long as we could use it).

If you look at the destination sign on the bus, the run number is digitally displayed beneath the route, Here is my rough drawing.

t0raro.jpg

Also, I noticed that the buses have a Wifi SSID broadcast as MTA2490, in the BBT we were behind MTA2411, They are protected FYI.

If you look at the operator panel there is a cool screen which you can adjust all the environment variables. I like that.

But I am a fan of the MCI's. Especially the NJT D4000's (Jake Brakes!) :)

One of the B/O's here posted that the "wifi" on the buses has to do with transmitting the BusTime GPS info and is not an internet connection, even if you get the password. 

One of the B/O's here posted that the "wifi" on the buses has to do with transmitting the BusTime GPS info and is not an internet connection, even if you get the password. 

I don't care so much about wifi since I have 10GB of data on my plan with Verizon.  What is important to me is being able to charge my phone.  Those damn B/O's out of CP NEVER put on the electricity so that you can use those power strips to charge your phone!!  I've been on several QM2's now and haven't been able to charge my phone and Sunday night my phone died on me waiting from the QM2 going back to the city.  Wasn't able to charge until I got on a BxM1...

I don't care so much about wifi since I have 10GB of data on my plan with Verizon.  What is important to me is being able to charge my phone.  Those damn B/O's out of CP NEVER put on the electricity so that you can use those power strips to charge your phone!!  I've been on several QM2's now and haven't been able to charge my phone and Sunday night my phone died on me waiting from the QM2 going back to the city.  Wasn't able to charge until I got on a BxM1...

I know! I've asked B/O's to put it on, and they flip the switch, but it's still broken 99 out of 100 times. 

I know! I've asked B/O's to put it on, and they flip the switch, but it's still broken 99 out of 100 times. 

LMAO... It's CP after all... I was always under the impression that if the lights closest to the window were on then you could juice up the phone.  When those are off I usually can't charge it.

LMAO... It's CP after all... I was always under the impression that if the lights closest to the window were on then you could juice up the phone. When those are off I usually can't charge it.

The reading lights and the outlets work independently of each other, two separate switches.

The reading lights and the outlets work independently of each other, two separate switches.

So in other words, the outlets have their own switch?  Why do they have those covers on the outlets for anyway on the MCI's from 2004 - circa 2008? Do those plugs serve another purpose aside from customers using them?  I always feel like I'm "sneaking" when using them on the MCI's since they have that cover on them.  I do it rather openly on the Prevosts since there is nothing covering the outlets.

Well thats up to the customer to use it or not and what to use it for. I have Time Warner cable and can use their free wifi that's literally on every corner but it's obviously not secure and I have to watch out what I use it for.

Verizon supposedly has hotspots too but I've never considered them.  From my memory they are few and far in between.  I only need data when I'm out.  In my office we have wifi and at home too, all with Verizon.

Archived