Keep Nassau School Speed Zone Camera's & Pump Millions in Transit!

Burrstone

Should Nassau keep school zone camera & pump millions into transit system?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nassau keep school zone camera & pump millions into transit system?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • undecided

While everyone (on the news that is) is frustrated for getting $80 tickets from one of these camera's I am in support of these camera's.  First, you're speeding in a school zone, get over it you have no excuse.  Second, for the ones that say these camera's aren't needed for safety because their hasn't been an accident in that area.  I am for safety, a big part of safety is prevention, by forcing people to follow the  school speed zone in fear of getting a ticket we will increase safety because we are reducing the amount of time for a vehicle to stop in case a child runs into the road.  Also, by slowing your vehicle down it gives you more time to scan area (maybe see that child dart into the road).  Driving a school bus in the past I have seen many children come into the road, from elementary children to high school kids. I've seen kids horsing around and get pushed (accidentally) into the roadway, I've also seen kids slip on ice or snow and fall into the roadway.  It happens,I'm not here to convince you about school zone safety, you can google it, the statistics are out there.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nassau-speed-cameras-generated-400-000-tickets-report-says-1.9704532

The article above shows Nassau "earned" $24.4 million after paying the contracted firm their fees in (just over) three months of having these camera's.  In a full year we're easily talking $80 to $100 million the county desperately needs!  Are we going to give up this money because some bone heads don't like being punished for speeding in a school a zone?

My plan would be to put these camera's in properly marked school zones and give half the money to Nassau Inter County Express to make sure the system is one of the best in the tri state area!

Could you imagine what NICE could do with $40-$50 million!?!  Forget about maintenance problems!

With just half the $24.4 million (12.2 Million) Nassau could pony up their share (20% $4-$5 million) of 100 new transit buses to replace buses that are ten years or newer, we wouldn't have to borrow buses from California to hope to get by for the next couple of years.

Nice would still have money left over to run a great system with just half of what has been earned.

Why am I thinking of this and not the LIBRU?  

I am not going to create a petition or anything but if an organization like let's say the LIBRU wanted to do so I'd sign it....

The county votes tomorrow...

I'd agree with them in school zone areas. It's not like Mayor DeBlasio scamming people putting them up on Queens Blvd. and other major roads where no one is gonna go his BS speed limit (Vision Zero and "safety" my ass, you put a speed camera on Queens Blvd. and set the limit to 25 or 30 and you know it's all for the money). Here they actually make sense IMO.

I'd agree with them in school zone areas. It's not like Mayor DeBlasio scamming people putting them up on Queens Blvd. and other major roads where no one is gonna go his BS speed limit (Vision Zero and "safety" my ass, you put a speed camera on Queens Blvd. and set the limit to 25 or 30 and you know it's all for the money). Here they actually make sense IMO.

& what do you think about money from this being pumped into the transit system (NICE & possibly new systems)?

Every organization obviously would want a piece of this, that's why IMO the so called LI Bus Riders Union (or some other organization) should be fighting for the piece of the pie!

I'm all for school speed zones, especially when kids don't know any better and play into the streets. Like Orion VII 4 Life notes, I agree, placing speed cameras in ridiculous areas like highway exits/entrances.

Thoughts on the money pumped into transit system? I disagree, I rather that money be funded to poor road conditions. I feel like it's the same agenda as using toll money towards mass transit. It doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

What the hell "safety" is there during the day when just about every student is inside?  I would totally be for the limit during the early morning when they arrive or immediately after but I see no point in it for any other part of the day.  Newsday even published an article stating that Nassau's claim that it "used accident data" was bullcrap - it literally is a giant cash grab.  In the meantime, my old elementary school and high school never had speed cameras and the two roads straddling the sides of the school are right off the parkway, where people do 50 every day.

And Mango has some balls trying to defend this shit by mentioning the 12 year old who died right off Merrick Road.  The area around his school is already littered with 20 MPH side streets and stop signs every block.  What good would a camera do?  How the a**hole who managed to get his license suspended only to get to drive his 3 ton Yukon again and kill someone that young is another story.

Nassau IS already broke as it is, and I don't entertain the idea that they'd even try to fund the system any more than they do.

School zones are BS. If anything they should be limited to Elementary schools, after that the child should be aware of how to cross the street. Children are always used as pawns in getting laws and stuff through.  Whenever I see or hear someone say "you shouldn't speed in school zones" then I know they're brainwashed for several reasons.

During the day kids are INSIDE the school. Many schools in suburban areas don't allow parking too close to the school and you could clearly see if a child was going to enter the street. many kids are bussed or dropped off at school. also, you have many schools recessed far from the road. Then you have the fact that no one blantantly "speeds" by schools when they see children present.

Secondly we know that the sole purpose for these cameras is for funds, you think they're going to limit it to transit?They're going to grab at it every budget meeting for everything other than transit.

What the hell "safety" is there during the day when just about every student is inside?  I would totally be for the limit during the early morning when they arrive or immediately after but I see no point in it for any other part of the day.  Newsday even published an article stating that Nassau's claim that it "used accident data" was bullcrap - it literally is a giant cash grab.  In the meantime, my old elementary school and high school never had speed cameras and the two roads straddling the sides of the school are right off the parkway, where people do 50 every day.

And Mango has some balls trying to defend this shit by mentioning the 12 year old who died right off Merrick Road.  The area around his school is already littered with 20 MPH side streets and stop signs every block.  What good would a camera do?  How the a**hole who managed to get his license suspended only to get to drive his 3 ton Yukon again and kill someone that young is another story.

Nassau IS already broke as it is, and I don't entertain the idea that they'd even try to fund the system any more than they do.

Why or rather How is Nassau broke?

It's in debt, should I say, to the tune of over $3 million.  There were once thriving industries here and pretty much all but the small-scale ones (fishing, etc.) are long gone.  Meanwhile, school districts need 5 overpaid superintendens and for what?  The taxes keep going up and no one's delivering anything.  It's no wonder I rarely see anyone my age outside of college now.

It's in debt, should I say, to the tune of over $3 million.  There were once thriving industries here and pretty much all but the small-scale ones (fishing, etc.) are long gone.  Meanwhile, school districts need 5 overpaid superintendens and for what?  The taxes keep going up and no one's delivering anything.  It's no wonder I rarely see anyone my age outside of college now.

My school district has something like 6 principals and an assistant for every one. The way it works here is that K-1 goes to a certain school, 2-3 goes to another, 4-5 to another, 6,7,8 to a middle school, and the rest for HS. I know it's f**ked up but it's cause of some district consolidation back in the stone ages. What I don't get is why can't one principal serve two schools. They don't do shit and just walk around the schools all do acting as "hall patrol." 

Every type of government in this country is broke one way or another.

And thats the other thing, the amount in overall property tax collected is enough to fund the County, but the school district levies are about 60%+ of the entire bill. If they could shift the balance, they could fund the county without an increase in property tax if the school districts stop sucking the property owners dry and reduce their budgets.

This is also why LI has a lot of "illegal" basement apartments, they're trying to cover their exorbitant property tax bills. At the same time you have these people that vote yes on the school budget votes or don't even show up.

School zones are BS. If anything they should be limited to Elementary schools, after that the child should be aware of how to cross the street. Children are always used as pawns in getting laws and stuff through.  Whenever I see or hear someone say "you shouldn't speed in school zones" then I know they're brainwashed for several reasons.

I say "you shouldn't speed in school zones"  all the time but I'm not brainwashed I'm an educated commercial driver who has experience driving school buses in Nassau County.  There are many reasons you shouldn't speed in a school zone, it's a no brainier, if you don't understand why you shouldn't have a license, period.

School zones are BS. If anything they should be limited to Elementary schools, after that the child should be aware of how to cross the street. Children are always used as pawns in getting laws and stuff through. 

Sometimes laws are made to protect children!  You are suggesting that CHILDREN should have the obligation to watch for cars?  You are insane!  Driving is a privilege and it is the ultimate responsibility of the driver to keep pedestrians safe, ESPECIALLY  children!!!

Kids are dumb and think they invincible! Even High School kids!  When I was driving a bus you'd tell the kids that were crossing to wait for my signal and cross.  Two days later they'd have their ear buds in texting, so they couldn't see me or hear my horn if someone ran my reds.  People would run my red lights just about every day, these kids would see.  I'd yell at them for having their ear buds in and/or texting  I'd tell them they see cars blow through my red lights everyday and when they're on their phone, listening to music they can't see me or hear my warnings.  I'd tell them they are going to get hit and die in the street one day (sometimes I've found you have be very blunt with reality especially to High School kids).  They'd seem to freaked out, wait for my signal to cross, then a day or two later they're back doing the same crap crossing with their ear buds in and playing on the phone while they cross.  They're too cool to think safety, they don't comprehend how dangerous what they do is, this is why it is our duty to protect them until they wise up.

During the day kids are INSIDE the school. Many schools in suburban areas don't allow parking too close to the school and you could clearly see if a child was going to enter the street. many kids are bussed or dropped off at school. also, you have many schools recessed far from the road. 

Just because a child is bussed in doesn't mean they don't miss the bus and walk/run/ride their bike.  Ask the family of the girl who was BUSSED who died on Sunrise HWY in Wantagh a few years ago because she missed her bus, walked and tried to dart across Sunrise HWY because she was afraid she was going to be.

Some kids get bussed but pre prefer to ride their bike or stay for after school activities who are roaming around the school zone.

Then you have the fact that no one blantantly "speeds" by schools when they see children present.

HAHA, yes they do!  I've see it almost every day.  Where did you get that obviously false fact?

Secondly we know that the sole purpose for these cameras is for funds, you think they're going to limit it to transit?They're going to grab at it every budget meeting for everything other than transit.

I travel Merrick Rd. in Massapequa often and since the speed zones and the new signs that says the school zone speed is enforced by camera people have been slowing down and actually doing the speed zone for a couple of weeks.  Since it was announced these camera's would be repealed people are starting to speed again.  Today the sign was clocking people at 50+ easily in the 25mph speed zone.

I only proposed half the funding going to funding (Don't want to pay for transit?  Don't speed in a school zone!) and that's why I said:

Every organization obviously would want a piece of this, that's why IMO the so called LI Bus Riders Union (or some other organization) should be fighting for the piece of the pie!

Niether! They should fund cars out there and expand highways. I wouldn't see why anyone there would take bus over car.

What do you mean fund cars?  Like an "Obama car"???  If you can't afford a car the government gives you one?

Public transportation sucks out here because it's underfunded so people don't take it.  If transportation was easier and more abundant don't you think more people would use it?

Nassau is going to be embarrassed when Suffolk rolls out BRT... 

What do you mean fund cars?  Like an "Obama car"???  If you can't afford a car the government gives you one?

Public transportation sucks out here because it's underfunded so people don't take it.  If transportation was easier and more abundant don't you think more people would use it?

Like most of Nassau's residents even care anymore.

But yes, it will be embarassing when that happens. 

& what do you think about money from this being pumped into the transit system (NICE & possibly new systems)?

Long Island Bus Riders Union, Long Island Jobs with Justice, Coalition to Save Long Island Bus, Straphangers Campaign, Riders Alliance, Tri-State Campaign, Vision Long Island, Long Island Progressive Coalition, Transportation Alternative and Long Island Orchestrating for Nature are all for supporting speed camera.

What do you mean fund cars? Like an "Obama car"??? If you can't afford a car the government gives you one?

Public transportation sucks out here because it's underfunded so people don't take it. If transportation was easier and more abundant don't you think more people would use it?

No I mean expand highways, add more lanes, streamline. Public transport sucks because people have cars. Why on earth would I take a bus or train (inner Nassau) when I could just drive there and shave 10 minutes off the time.

Like most of Nassau's residents even care anymore.

But yes, it will be embarassing when that happens.

It'll be more embarrassing when they find it has no ridership.

well many buses in Nassau are indirect and don't go where people need to go and in some cases can't be bothered to make LIRR connections that would add 3 minutes in travel time.

No I mean expand highways, add more lanes, streamline. Public transport sucks because people have cars. Why on earth would I take a bus or train (inner Nassau) when I could just drive there and shave 10 minutes off the time.

It'll be more embarrassing when they find it has no ridership.

transit sucks cause it just does Rockland has cars yet their transit is way better try again. More highways solve nothing just ask everyone else who tried. One if you use LIRR with some bus routes to travel inner Nassau the time can be competitive with driving as long as the bus trip is short. N20 actually has non stop segments. The transit is just bad that is why it can't be used Oyster bay line shit,west Hempstead laughable, Babylon can't seem to be bothered with Western Nassau and NICE to have a bus connection to service that part. N73/74 and N46 go nowhere of interest and to get to anywhere you must transfer multiple times completely sad.

The majority of people who take the bus don't have a car, can't drive, and/or are not legally allowed to drive.

Not only is NICE not going to the tremendous funding I proposed the NICE system is going to go to hell in a hand basket fast with cuts to make up for the loss in revenue!

http://longisland.news12.com/multimedia/speed-camera-revenue-loss-could-mean-cuts-1.9705963

Speed camera revenue loss could mean cuts
December 11, 2014

To make up for the loss, County Executive Ed Mangano suggests $13 million could be cut from Nassau University Medical Center, $7 million slashed from youth programs, $4 million in NICE bus subsidies and $1 million from community policing.

Archived