Remnants of the 1980s Subway: Stickers

MHV9218

52 St exit is still closed. There's no need for it to open with exits at 49 and 50 Sts

(A)(G)(R)(E)(E)! Plus, it's a local station that doesn't recieve enough ridership to call for an additonal exit. Plus, an extra exit means hiring new guards or building more security cameras, which will cost money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is anybody aware of R62 cars that retain their original numbers and/or other stickers?

While a few dozen R62As have their old number stickers and M-logo "Priority seat" stickers, I'm yet to find a single R62 that has the old ones. I think almost all must have been replaced in the 1990s.

For chronology, look to the E-Brake stickers. 1817 bears the original number sticker and the original emergency sticker. The white sticker was installed when the cord was unboxed, like on R68s and R32s. 

17499766075_2eeb3ee273_b.jpg

1819, on the other hand, has the original number sticker but a 1990s-era Emergency brake sticker that still refers to an unboxed sticker but is in Helvetica on black. Note also the 1990s-era "Riding between cars" sticker that 1819 still wears.

17497613402_92e07a520e_b.jpg

1771, finally, retains its original number sticker but wears only the new box sticker ('alarm will sound') which is current R62A emergency brake form.

16879666763_fbb132e82c_b.jpg

Still looking for those R62 oldies, though! If anybody sees anything, let me know! Almost all the cars I've seen have the 1990s-era stickers (black, no reference to alarm), but none I can find have the 1980s originals. 

• 5 months later...

Always like to keep this thread up to date, so I thought I'd add a couple new ones to the mix. One of the places that retains some old-school subway ephemera is the SIRTOA division. Picture here are the stickers from the SIR R44s, which are likely from the early 1980s. The fonts are a mixture, different on each sign. These would have been on essentially every storm door (except for R68/As) in the '80s. I've posted some R62As that wear them earlier in the thread. R44s and R46s kept them until GOH, but the SIR cars still wear them. Note the variety in the fonts (especially the dotted 'i' letters).

IMG_7064_zpsznggxuod.jpg

IMG_7063_zpskmio7ezx.jpg

MLS_3388_zpsptkzcvzo.jpg

[Nearly everything in the last photo is out of date by subway standards. The top sticker is from the early 1980s and would have been replaced by 1990. The bottom sticker is from the late 1980s and would been replaced within the past couple years. The evacuation sticker is from the late 1980s and would have been replaced by around 2006. And the "TrainTalk" ad on the side is probably from the late 1990s or early 2000s.]

And as a little bonus, here's something that predates even the namesake of this thread! This is a 1974-1978 Vignelli diagram in full-size beneath a map. Note the presence of the 'QB' on the map. Remind me to make friends with a station worker next time the maps are changed.

MLS_2638_zpsy0wsf35k.jpg

Always like to keep this thread up to date, so I thought I'd add a couple new ones to the mix. One of the places that retains some old-school subway ephemera is the SIRTOA division. Picture here are the stickers from the SIR R44s, which are likely from the early 1980s. The fonts are a mixture, different on each sign. These would have been on essentially every storm door (except for R68/As) in the '80s. I've posted some R62As that wear them earlier in the thread. R44s and R46s kept them until GOH, but the SIR cars still wear them. Note the variety in the fonts (especially the dotted 'i' letters).

IMG_7064_zpsznggxuod.jpg

IMG_7063_zpskmio7ezx.jpg

MLS_3388_zpsptkzcvzo.jpg

[Nearly everything in the last photo is out of date by subway standards. The top sticker is from the early 1980s and would have been replaced by 1990. The bottom sticker is from the late 1980s and would been replaced within the past couple years. The evacuation sticker is from the late 1980s and would have been replaced by around 2006. And the "TrainTalk" ad on the side is probably from the late 1990s or early 2000s.]

And as a little bonus, here's something that predates even the namesake of this thread! This is a 1974-1978 Vignelli diagram in full-size beneath a map. Note the presence of the 'QB' on the map. Remind me to make friends with a station worker next time the maps are changed.

MLS_2638_zpsy0wsf35k.jpg

Great finds! Good luck! I luckily got a 2015 station map on my way to school when they were changing the map.

The map? From the station and map case design, I'd wager it's 57 St/6 Av. If I'm correct, it's probably the same map reported on SubChat and SubTalk years ago. Also, if it is the same map, it's not in the best condition as the lower half was torn off, possibly when they replaced the map.

Aw, well at least half of the map is still there.

If I'm correct, there's the same type of map hidden underneath the new subway map at the 14 St - Union Square entrance near the park. The new map was placed incorrectly revealing the old map underneath.

The map? From the station and map case design, I'd wager it's 57 St/6 Av. If I'm correct, it's probably the same map reported on SubChat and SubTalk years ago. Also, if it is the same map, it's not in the best condition as the lower half was torn off, possibly when they replaced the map.

That is the location. However, I discovered there are actually multiple Vignelli maps there. It was just the one that was exposed when it wasn't replaced, but I believe each case has one. Some are likely in better shape than others.

If I'm correct, there's the same type of map hidden underneath the new subway map at the 14 St - Union Square entrance near the park. The new map was placed incorrectly revealing the old map underneath.

I'll have to look for that next time I'm around there.

And the view is nowhere near that good anymore.

However, at ground level, you can view the (4) and (5) bullets in pink and black as lightly exposed above an entrance. This used to be fully exposed until the MTA pointlessly covered it. These are, as far as I know, the only remaining Vignelli-colored bullets visible in the present day. 

MLS_6982_zpsm40jandv.jpg

That is the location. However, I discovered there are actually multiple Vignelli maps there. It was just the one that was exposed when it wasn't replaced, but I believe each case has one. Some are likely in better shape than others.

Interesting. I do wonder why that particular station has the old maps though.

<pic removed>

Even though I still think the Bowling Green '70s design is still meh, I do think it looked better with the light covers and the service info integrated into those covers.

Archived