Staten Island's transportation crisis isn't going away

Harry

You know you were being racist. I was just hoping you would be silly enough to describe a ghetto person in your opinion.

That's news to me. I don't ever recall referring to any specific person and ghetto people come in many forms.  In any event, Staten Island has too many of those folks and too many of them MUST drive, so that means too many households with 2-3 cars creating more congestion.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

That's news to me. I don't ever recall referring to any specific person and ghetto people come in many forms.  In any event, Staten Island has too many of those folks and too many of them MUST drive, so that means too many households with 2-3 cars creating more congestion.

You're joking.

No, I'm serious... Even on my block people had 2 - 3 cars or more and we're not talking about large households either.  The problem is the infrastructure isn't there to support that many vehicles.

As counter intuitive as it sounds, NYC(Metro area) encourages multi-vehicle households. Outside of Manhattan transit options suck, especially if your destination/origin is not Manhattan, on top of that rent/housing is exorbitant which encourages roommate/extended family & basement rental living, so you're going to get multiple vehicles per dwelling.

As counter intuitive as it sounds, NYC(Metro area) encourages multi-vehicle households. Outside of Manhattan transit options suck, especially if your destination/origin is not Manhattan, on top of that rent/housing is exorbitant which encourages roommate/extended family & basement rental living, so you're going to get multiple vehicles per dwelling.

Yes, but the difference is that Staten Islanders are EXTREMELY car centric and not just because of poor transportation.  I live in a suburban area similar to Staten Island, and people are much more open to using the express buses and Metro-North here.  Some of my neighbors have a car, but others don't and either car pool or are picked up. I think I may be the only person in my building who uses the express bus or Metro-North, but plenty of people here overall use transportation.

Yes, but the difference is that Staten Islanders are EXTREMELY car centric and not just because of poor transportation.  I live in a suburban area similar to Staten Island, and people are much more open to using the express buses and Metro-North here.  Some of my neighbors have a car, but others don't and either car pool or are picked up. I think I may be the only person in my building who uses the express bus or Metro-North, but plenty of people here overall use transportation.

You can get around Staten Island MUCH quicker with a car and it's convenient.

You kinda have a point with that, and I see what you mean However, the city wants to be as pro-transit as they can be, and they are trying to find ways to make transport in the boroughs somewhat easier (although their plans for those are something else). At least, for the areas closest to Manhattan in the outer boroughs, I don't think they're doing much all the way in the outskirts. However, I don't think it's enough, in an effort to improve transportation, but hopefully better progress is made sooner rather than later.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

True and that's mainly due to the local buses being timed around the ferry. For trips within Staten Island, I usually called car service.

Even then you have to wait for the car service to pick you up and take you to your destination. Then how do you get back, do you call them again or do you ask them to wait? Etc. 

There have been times I did a quick trip in the car to the store or get something to eat, whatever, and on the way back I see the same people still waiting for the bus.

Yeah I think all those terminals for the S44 SBS service are too much. I would just have SI Mall as the only terminal. 

Also, if that happens, I think the S89 should be converted to an SBS route, since it will run alongside the S79 and S44 SBS. Essentially it's entire routing (except the portion in NJ) would be running alongside SBS routes (although it's still a limited) so I think if that were to happen, that should happen.

Or You can named it the S96 SBS , and reroute S44/S94 to Mariners Harbor.

Not needed for Richmond Avenue. The s59, s44/s94 and s89 are absolutely fine along that road. There is no need for Select Bus Servive on these routes:

- The s59/s44/s94 LTD is redundant after Forest Ave. After Victory Blvd. the s44/s94 LTD is essentially discharge only as anyone going past the Mall is taking the s59 as it goes all the way to Tottenville until evening. From experience, the passenger churn is minimal after Victory and before Richmond Hill and the SI Mall. Also, as there are four travel lanes and properly timed traffic lights, traffic flow moves well.

- The s89 LTD is a 50/50 commuter route for the folks who work in Jersey City and school tripper for students that do not get yellow buses. The bus travels along Marsh Avenue a residential area behind the Staten Island Mall instead of the mall roads as the s44/s59/s79SBS do. From my extensive experience, the s89 in the evenings get passengers at the major intersections, Forest Ave. & Victory Blvd.

The routes are fine along Richmond Avenue. Though, I feel that there should be express bus service directly to Jersey City.

No, I'm serious... Even on my block people had 2 - 3 cars or more and we're not talking about large households either.  The problem is the infrastructure isn't there to support that many vehicles.

Agree completely. Before I left my parent's house, all the adults had their own vehicles, so we had to make room for four cars. My neighbor across the street had about five adults, two parents and three college-age kids, all had their own cars.  Even empty nestors, each adult had their own cars even the elderly couple.

Edited by 161passenger

Staten Island is changing very rapidly... The population continues to increase significantly, and the traffic is becoming worse and worse.  More buses (be it local buses or express buses) may not be the solution. Staten Island definitely needs to address the congestion, but the problem is that it doesn't have the infrastructure to support the sudden influx in the population. The other issue is that transportation sucks within Staten Island so everyone either has CARS or takes car service.  Commute times became worse every year for me when I started working until I got fed up and left.  No matter what part of the island you are on, you are usually looking at an hour and 30 minute ride each way or more if traffic is really bad.  If anything Staten Island needs some sort of rapid ferry service, as the SI Ferry is a joke, and if there's snow out forget it.  The express buses often times can't make it up the hills.The 

The real dilemma is that everyone is moving to Staten Island for lower housing costs as opposed to more space and it's bringing down the quality of life, yet another reason folks are leaving... It's becoming too crowded, and too many ghetto folks moving in.  When we moved there it was VERY nice, and as more people from other boroughs started coming in, we started seeing changes.  I had considered moving further south on the island, but that would mean a longer commute, and the Mid Island and South Shore are becoming crowded as well, so that left getting the hell out of there.

Again, agree completely with VG8. I'm here on Staten Island as my housing is comparatively not that expensive and for family reasons.

Except for the North Shore and Hylan Blvd above Tysens Lane, specifically, the South and Mid-Shores, more local buses probably won't solve anything or just be completely inefficient use of MTA resources. I feel that rush hour express bus service on the South Shore and deployment is sufficient, though we can discuss some minor tweaks and improvements.

I'll highlight the x17 Tottenville segment as completely unnecessary and the x17 should run from Manhattan to Staten Island until midnight on weekends. The s79-SBS should run later as well.

The idea of a South Shore Fast Ferry is probably not a no-go, especially if the operator charges market rates. The New York Waterway fares for travel across the Hudson River start at $6 one way for a seven minute crossing, for a longer distance the cost could be up to $21 one way (NY Waterway Wall Street to Belford/Atlantic Highlands ferry). Whereas you can park a car at the Huguenot SIR, take an express train and the ferry for $2.50 one way and then simply walk to the financial district. Though as mentioned several times recently in the Staten Island Advance, the SIR is experiencing some reliability issues.

Speaking personally, I am one of the rare individuals on the South Shore of Staten Island that does not currently have a car of his own by choice as the funds for vehicle maintenance, gas, tolls are reallocated so I can travel; I think I barely cracked $100 for gas in 2014 when I had rented cars locally. It does make things difficult not having a car as to get anywhere useful (laundromat, grocery store, local buses on weekends) as it is usually a 20+ minute power walk.

Edited by 161passenger

Not needed for Richmond Avenue. The s59, s44/s94 and s89 are absolutely fine along that road. There is no need for Select Bus Servive on these routes:

- The s59/s44/s94 LTD is redundant after Forest Ave. After Victory Blvd. the s44/s94 LTD is essentially discharge only as anyone going past the Mall is taking the s59 as it goes all the way to Tottenville until evening. From experience, the passenger churn is minimal after Victory and before Richmond Hill and the SI Mall. Also, as there are four travel lanes and properly timed traffic lights, traffic flow moves well.

- The s89 LTD is a 50/50 commuter route for the folks who work in Jersey City and school tripper for students that do not get yellow buses. The bus travels along Marsh Avenue a residential area behind the Staten Island Mall instead of the mall roads as the s44/s59/s79SBS do. From my extensive experience, the s89 in the evenings get passengers at the major intersections, Forest Ave. & Victory Blvd.

The routes are fine along Richmond Avenue. Though, I feel that there should be express bus service directly to Jersey City.

That's not the point. The S79 SBS was not all that popular at it's inception either and almost didn't even become a reality for the same reason, yet it is now used very well. The same would happen with a S44 SBS of some sort or any North Shore select bus service. It would take some time but more people would use the line if it became more convenient to use.

If a S44 SBS were created it should be operated the same as the S79 SBS, no pre-boarding fare collecting, just operating as a faster limited per say. There is a market for that and people would ride it that do not currently. The S59 and S89 ridership and schedules would be greatly effected by having SBS service along all of Richmond Avenue.

Edited by North Shore Line

If Staten Island wants transit improvements, maybe they can elect politicians who aren't viciously hostile to transit.

Alas, sheep are easily misled by petty political promises and squabbles between politicians. It's just like how Congress brings up gay marriage, or how state legislatures try to legalize the teaching of Creationism in public schools. These issues evoke strong emotions from people and easily distract them from more important issues. Almost nobody will see that their politician is a crock of **** when it comes to things that matter.

If Staten Island wants transit improvements, maybe they can elect politicians who aren't viciously hostile to transit.

Actually you're completely wrong about it.  Staten Island has received better transportation primarily because of Staten Island politicians.  It was Vito Fossella who helped to get the HOV lane for the express buses on the Gowanus. That took YEARS of working with the (MTA).  I know because I along with other express bus riders were kept abreast by Fossella's office and we also gave feedback about issues with our commutes, etc.  I was extremely grateful to him for fighting for us express bus riders and helping shorten our commutes.  It was really unfortunate that he had to leave politics because I had no problem voting for him if he remained in office.  He also helped to bring more service improvements to the X1 and other South Shore express buses that were dangerously overcrowded.  Michael Grimm (who I also voted for before moving to Riverdale) along with Vincent Ignizio helped to bring a lot of express bus improvements to the South Shore such as the Super Express X22s, along with X17s being extended to Tottenville and the new X21 express bus service.

There has also been a continued push for a high speed ferry for YEARS.  The problem is funding for it and coming to agreement on a centrally located area for those who need it most.

This is interesting....

Push for North Shore select bus service faces roadblocks

CITY HALL -- A new push for select bus service on Staten Island's North Shore faces roadblocks even as the city looks to add more routes in the other boroughs. 

With a score of redevelopments projects, a city plan to increase affordable housing and more shopping and recreation opportunities in the works, the North Shore is primed for thousands of new residents and patrons. 

"Why then would DOT not consider the North Shore, especially if it's already identified a route as a potential SBS?" Councilwoman Debi Rose (D-North Shore) asked city and state officials during a Tuesday Council hearing on the the expansion of rapid bus transit. 

Officials said that expanding such service North Shore might not be possible with current resources. 

"It is a route that is, sort of, in a higher order of magnitude," Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg told Ms. Rose at the hearing. 

Source: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/02/north_shore_select_bus_service.html#incart_related_stories

It is interesting indeed.

I propose that S44 become a Select Bus Service along Castleton Avenue for a number of reasons.

-As the article mentioned, a significant portion of the North Shore right of way was entirely flooded out. Had there been a rail line or bus line there built pre-Sandy, a majority of that line would have been washed away right into the Kill Van Kull.

-The S44 operating along Castleton Avenue instead will straighten out the lengthy line. Thus making it easier to place new Select Bus Service stations along the Castleton corridor and give the S46 local a different route to St George using the side streets that the S44 currently operates on.

-The S44 Select Bus Service would change ridership patterns ALL across the North Shore. I propose that there also be "branch" runs to/from Teleport and/or West Shore Plaza so that Port Richmond, Mariner's Harbor and Graniteville are still serviced by the areas the North Shore BRT was planned to service.

-The map I placed has the S44 SBS making between 15-18 stops making commutes faster from areas that DO NOT currently have any "faster" means of reaching St. George except during the small AM "peak" rush hour window on weekdays.

-To add to that, possibly have the S44 SBS service terminate further south at Eltingville Transit Center for connections and Park & Ride there.

-The S44 SBS operating to and from the SI Mall and Teleport would mean it could be served by any of the 3 depots, Yukon, Castleton or Meredith if need be for more efficient service.

-(That being said, Castleton Depot is a great depot but it should NOT have any Select Bus Services. Leave that for Yukon Depot who is already operating the S79 Select Bus Service and doing a great job at that. That is why I did not mention a S46 SBS or S40 SBS.)

-The S44 SBS would probably only travel 30 minutes tops from end-to-end considering that it will be the first North Shore route making only SBS stops the entire route unlike the current format of having the LIMITED buses short-turn or run local after a certain point.

-I know I am not the only one who has seen several rather empty S79 SBS running up and down Hylan and Richmond this year. The S44 SBS would be used more by riders than the S79 SBS if given a few years especially with a branch servicing Mariner's Harbor.

-All of the Staten Island bus depots are slated to receive new buses this year and the next, which should pave the way for better bus service on Staten Island.

-The S1 North Shore BRT is not a good idea from the start. For that plan, I would rather have the MTA simply add S90 service in a similar fashion to the new and improved S93; operating every 30 minutes or meeting with each ferry.

I propose that S44 become a Select Bus Service along Castleton Avenue for a number of reasons.

-As the article mentioned, a significant portion of the North Shore right of way was entirely flooded out. Had there been a rail line or bus line there built pre-Sandy, a majority of that line would have been washed away right into the Kill Van Kull.

-The S44 operating along Castleton Avenue instead will straighten out the lengthy line. Thus making it easier to place new Select Bus Service stations along the Castleton corridor and give the S46 local a different route to St George using the side streets that the S44 currently operates on.

-The S44 Select Bus Service would change ridership patterns ALL across the North Shore. I propose that there also be "branch" runs to/from Teleport and/or West Shore Plaza so that Port Richmond, Mariner's Harbor and Graniteville are still serviced by the areas the North Shore BRT was planned to service.

-The map I placed has the S44 SBS making between 15-18 stops making commutes faster from areas that DO NOT currently have any "faster" means of reaching St. George except during the small AM "peak" rush hour window on weekdays.

-To add to that, possibly have the S44 SBS service terminate further south at Eltingville Transit Center for connections and Park & Ride there.

-The S44 SBS operating to and from the SI Mall and Teleport would mean it could be served by any of the 3 depots, Yukon, Castleton or Meredith if need be for more efficient service.

-(That being said, Castleton Depot is a great depot but it should NOT have any Select Bus Services. Leave that for Yukon Depot who is already operating the S79 Select Bus Service and doing a great job at that. That is why I did not mention a S46 SBS or S40 SBS.)

-The S44 SBS would probably only travel 30 minutes tops from end-to-end considering that it will be the first North Shore route making only SBS stops the entire route unlike the current format of having the LIMITED buses short-turn or run local after a certain point.

-I know I am not the only one who has seen several rather empty S79 SBS running up and down Hylan and Richmond this year. The S44 SBS would be used more by riders than the S79 SBS if given a few years especially with a branch servicing Mariner's Harbor.

-All of the Staten Island bus depots are slated to receive new buses this year and the next, which should pave the way for better bus service on Staten Island.

-The S1 North Shore BRT is not a good idea from the start. For that plan, I would rather have the MTA simply add S90 service in a similar fashion to the new and improved S93; operating every 30 minutes or meeting with each ferry.

I don't see Castleton taking on a lot of new routes because I believe that depot is supposed to torn down or rehabbed at some point.  Really in poor shape. Meredith isn't really a full depot and is more like a parking facility so that leaves Yukon and Charleston.  Charleston is already at capacity to my knowledge, and the residents around Yukon Depot I'm sure would make a stink about more buses coming there because they already weren't happy with the amount of buses idiling about when Yukon was overcapacity.

That and the S44 does NOT have anywhere near the ridership for SBS like the S79 does.

Well the point is that the North Shore continues to be left out for bus improvements.  ALL of the local bus and express bus improvements have been on the South Shore, and folks on the North Shore are really pissed about it and they should be.  It's been this way for years, and elected officials have a part in it too.  The North Shore has no clout when it comes to political representation, and once I realized that, I got the hell out of there.  

Years ago I spoke at an (MTA) hearing and recommended that the S53 receive limited stop service, given the fact that it has the highest ridership, along with the routes it connects to, etc.  It may look like a short trip on paper, but it can easily become a schlepp.  For whatever reason, not much has changed.

Years ago I spoke at an (MTA) hearing and recommended that the S53 receive limited stop service, given the fact that it has the highest ridership, along with the routes it connects to, etc. It may look like a short trip on paper, but it can easily become a schlepp. For whatever reason, not much has changed.

I mean, if you want to count the S93 south of Victory Blvd (and S96 on Castleton Avenue) as different routes not helping the S53 out.....

Not that I'm saying another LTD shouldn't supplement the S53, but I think that the S53 is fine for now, especially with new midday and evening service on the S93.

I mean, if you want to count the S93 south of Victory Blvd (and S96 on Castleton Avenue) as different routes not helping the S53 out.....

Not that I'm saying another LTD shouldn't supplement the S53, but I think that the S53 is fine for now, especially with new midday and evening service on the S93.

I disagree with that because the S53 gets slammed even with the S93.  What you don't realize is that the S93 skips a large portion of the S53 route, thus giving the S53 little relief in certain areas since it is the only show in town. 

I disagree with that because the S53 gets slammed even with the S93. What you don't realize is that the S93 skips a large portion of the S53 route, thus giving the S53 little relief in certain areas since it is the only show in town.

I noticed the S93 is more LTD than usual, but even with the crowds on the S53, the only benefit I see is being another rush hour LTD duplicate like other SI LTDs.

Maybe you are right about a S83 (LTD version of S53 I'm assuming) being used on the S53, but almost every bus in NYC suffers from crowding, yes?

I noticed the S93 is more LTD than usual, but even with the crowds on the S53, the only benefit I see is being another rush hour LTD duplicate like other SI LTDs.

Maybe you are right about a S83 (LTD version of S53 I'm assuming) being used on the S53, but almost every bus in NYC suffers from crowding, yes?

Yes, but the crowding on the S53 is exactly why the trip can take longer than usual.  Having a LTD version would help out.

That's not the point. The S79 SBS was not all that popular at it's inception either and almost didn't even become a reality for the same reason, yet it is now used very well. The same would happen with a S44 SBS of some sort or any North Shore select bus service. It would take some time but more people would use the line if it became more convenient to use.

If a S44 SBS were created it should be operated the same as the S79 SBS, no pre-boarding fare collecting, just operating as a faster limited per say. There is a market for that and people would ride it that do not currently. The S59 and S89 ridership and schedules would be greatly effected by having SBS service along all of Richmond Avenue.

From a North Shore perspective, which I admit I don't know too much about beyond the St. George and Bay Street/Targee St areas, an SBS could work along the routing presented in your post given your familiarity with the area. However, once it crosses from Morningstar to Richmond Avenue, I can see, because of duplication of the s59, the s44 taking on a limited stop role making corresponding stops of the s89 route to Nome Avenue, then to the present stops to the Staten Island Mall to it's current terminus.

In my opinion, extending the route to the Eltingville Transit Center is one of those "would be nice" things, but due to the duplication of the s59 along Richmond Ave, it would only work if there is a transfer restriction between the two routes. Personally, I think the s61 should be extended to the Transit Center. I also think it would be a good idea to either absorb either the s55 or s56 into the s61 due to the anemic ridership of the s55/s56 as well as it's rather short travel times, end to end. Doing this could provide possible weekend service to the South Shore.

However, getting back to an s44 SBS, I disagree that it would have anything more than a minimal effect on the s89. Again, as a former regular on the s89, it runs well in the present form for its targeted ridership demographic. (Slightly OT but) If midday and weekend service is needed to New Jersey, extend either the :njt:  10 or 81 one stop to Forest/Richmond Ave. I might write to the Staten Island and Hudson County politicians (specifically North Shore and Hudson Co. Freeholders) to request the PA's vendor which appears to be TUCS (The Ultimate Cleaning Service) to collect ridership statistics on their seasonal shuttle service they are providing between Bayonne and Staten Island as part of the Raise the Roadway (Bayonne Bridge) project.

As for the empty s79-SBS buses, I think this is a result of bunching and possibly overscheduling. I noticed this too.

Actually you're completely wrong about it.  Staten Island has received better transportation primarily because of Staten Island politicians.  It was Vito Fossella who helped to get the HOV lane for the express buses on the Gowanus. That took YEARS of working with the (MTA).  I know because I along with other express bus riders were kept abreast by Fossella's office and we also gave feedback about issues with our commutes, etc.  I was extremely grateful to him for fighting for us express bus riders and helping shorten our commutes.  It was really unfortunate that he had to leave politics because I had no problem voting for him if he remained in office.  He also helped to bring more service improvements to the X1 and other South Shore express buses that were dangerously overcrowded.  Michael Grimm (who I also voted for before moving to Riverdale) along with Vincent Ignizio helped to bring a lot of express bus improvements to the South Shore such as the Super Express X22s, along with X17s being extended to Tottenville and the new X21 express bus service.

There has also been a continued push for a high speed ferry for YEARS.  The problem is funding for it and coming to agreement on a centrally located area for those who need it most.

I think a lot of credit should also be given to former Borough President and Conservative-party member James Molinaro for his attention to the transportation issues on Staten Island. He did a lot for both public transportation (s79-SBS, s89, ferry and was visible during the 2010 crisis) as well as road/infrastructure improvements (Staten Island Expressway, traffic lights, signage, potholes). Ex-Congressman and convicted drunken driver, Republican Vito Fossella did do well for transportation issues (especially with the SIE repairs) as well as Congressman and City Councilman; personally, I am glad he is out of office.

As for ex-Congressman and convicted felon, Republican Michael Grimm, he did an absolutely excellent job of making his opinion known to the Staten Island Advance, but he didn't really have much of a measurable impact other than statements to the press in my opinion and observations (and thankfully he is out of office). Republican State Assemblyman V. Ignizio is doing a good job.

Edited by 161passenger