Updated IRT Announcements and Destinations

CTK246

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the <6> does this new thing once it hits Parkchester it goes This Is A Pelham Bay Park Bound (6) train The Next Stop Is....... instead of saying This Is A Pelham Bay Park Bound <6> Train The Next Stop Is........ all the way to Pelham Bay and the destination sign says TO PELHAM BAY, BRONX EXPRESS, LEXINGTON AVE LCL and local trains no longer say PELHAM EXP or PELHAM LCL.

the <6> does this new thing once it hits Parkchester it goes This Is A Pelham Bay Park Bound (6) train The Next Stop Is....... instead of saying This Is A Pelham Bay Park Bound <6> Train The Next Stop Is........ all the way to Pelham Bay and the destination sign says TO PELHAM BAY, BRONX EXPRESS, LEXINGTON AVE LCL and local trains no longer say PELHAM EXP or PELHAM LCL.

By that logic, they should change 'EASTERN PKWY LCL' or 'FLUSHING LCL' to just 'BROOKLYN LOCAL' or 'QUEENS LOCAL'. While I'm all for specific labels, just listing the borough makes it easier for the passenger.

Regarding the (6), it still bothers me how this update didn't change 'Pelham Bay Park bound' to 'Bronx bound' in Manhattan. And that god awful 'express stops in the Bronx' announcement. If the (1) can say Bronx bound, why not the (6)?

the <6> does this new thing once it hits Parkchester it goes This Is A Pelham Bay Park Bound (6) train The Next Stop Is....... instead of saying This Is A Pelham Bay Park Bound <6> Train The Next Stop Is........ all the way to Pelham Bay and the destination sign says TO PELHAM BAY, BRONX EXPRESS, LEXINGTON AVE LCL and local trains no longer say PELHAM EXP or PELHAM LCL.

The Pelham signage has been gone for a while now. As for the announcements, they are currently getting overhauled on all IRT NTTs. The (2) has similar announcements on Lenox avenue and south of Chambers Street, And I remember hearing that there are similar announcements for the (4)(5) south of City Hall.

Regarding the (6), it still bothers me how this update didn't change 'Pelham Bay Park bound' to 'Bronx bound' in Manhattan. And that god awful 'express stops in the Bronx' announcement. If the (1) can say Bronx bound, why not the (6)?

The Bronx-bound announcements on the Pelham Bay and Parkchester 6 options were removed almost a decade ago. The trains play the "Pelham Bay Park-bound" and "Parkchester-bound" announcements in Manhattan to minimize the number of transfers at 125 St and 3 Av-138 St.

The Bronx bound announcement is still played on the 3 Av 138 St (6) trains though, not sure about the Hunts Point (or Westchester Square if it exists) announcements though

The one time I saw a (6) train programmed for Westchester Square the announcements said "Pelham Bay Park bound (6) local train" which typically means the conductor used the Pelham Bay program and cut off every stop after Westchester Square on the computer.

There isn't an option for Westchester Sq as a terminal. At least not on the list I have. The crew has to knock off the stops north of E Tremont Av, but the destination will still play "This is a Pelham Bay Park-bound..."

UPDATE: I finally caught a Nereid Av-bound train with the M86 update (version 2 for those interested). The side signs have been updated to show "TO NEREID AV". I actually don't mind this one since the signs finally reflect the fact there isn't a 238th St at that location. Now to change the interior signs as well...

Well, the (4) sets R142 & R142A no longer say "This is a Woodlawn Bound (4) train. The Next, and last stop is, Woodlawn" they just say "The Next And Last Stop Is, Woodlawn"

Note, this only happens at the second to last stop.

Today I was in R142 #1205 on the 4 once it hit Brooklyn Bridge it said "This Is Brooklyn Bridge City Hall Ladies And Gentlemen as you exit please be careful of the gap between the platform and the train then out of nowhere it said Transfer is available to the  (1), (7), (9), (A), (C), (E), (N), (Q), (R), And (W) trains.  Connection Is available To The Port Authority Bus Terminal I think its the (2) trains old transfer from Times Square in like 2002 

Well, the (4) sets R142 & R142A no longer say "This is a Woodlawn Bound (4) train. The Next, and last stop is, Woodlawn" they just say "The Next And Last Stop Is, Woodlawn"

Note, this only happens at the second to last stop.

That actually makes sense. Kinda wish they did that from the get-go.

They probably should shorten the current northbound (5) announcements in the Bronx from "This is a Eastchester-Dyre Avenue-bound 5 local train" to "This is a Dyre Avenue-bound 5 train" or "This is an Eastchester-bound 5 train". They should also shorten the current southbound (2) and (5) announcements in Brooklyn to "This is a Flatbush Avenue-bound 2 (or 5) train".

They probably should shorten the current northbound (5) announcements in the Bronx from "This is a Eastchester-Dyre Avenue-bound 5 local train" to "This is a Dyre Avenue-bound 5 train" or "This is an Eastchester-bound 5 train"

If you actually ride the (5) a lot in the Bronx you should noticed that there are two variations of local announcements for the (5). You actually stated both of them, "This is an Eastchester-Dyre Ave bound 5 local train", and the second one is "This is an Eastchester bound 5 local train", I would guess the difference is from the trains originating point the less common one without Dyre Ave probably didn't originate from Flatbush.

They probably should shorten the current northbound (5) announcements in the Bronx from "This is a Eastchester-Dyre Avenue-bound 5 local train" to "This is a Dyre Avenue-bound 5 train" or "This is an Eastchester-bound 5 train". They should also shorten the current southbound (2) and (5) announcements in Brooklyn to "This is a Flatbush Avenue-bound 2 (or 5) train".

During PM express hours, the regular announcement past E 180 and and before 3 Av-149 St was changed to "This is an Eastchester-bound (5) train" However, I don't know about the off-peak hours.

Also, the ding glitch was fixed.

Today I was in R142 #1205 on the 4 once it hit Brooklyn Bridge it said "This Is Brooklyn Bridge City Hall Ladies And Gentlemen as you exit please be careful of the gap between the platform and the train then out of nowhere it said Transfer is available to the   (1), (7), (9), (A), (C), (E), (N), (Q), (R), And (W) trains.  Connection Is available To The Port Authority Bus Terminal I think its the  (2) trains old transfer from Times Square in like 2002 

OH JESUS! Thank god i don't ride the Lexington AS much as I did before. Oh, boy.

Thats a problem, the audio file was mixed up, at least play it at Times Sq doesn't matter if the (9) and (W) don't exist, for NOW.

And to Javier, yea THANK GOD my (7) ain't got problems yet, cuz its a new system, new factory built sets, and new announcements. If it used the old 2000 program, with only Anne Bergen announcing the stops, MAYBE it would've been glitched cuz then the MTA would have to change the old transfers to the new ones along Roosevelt Av and Manhattan and change the station names (Court Sq, Mets-Willets)  (ex. ex-LGA Q33 now Q70, (V) now (M) , (G) no longer runs via QBL, (9) no longer runs, (W) not running YET, Transfer at Court Sq (no longer MetroCard transfer only, or it would've used like the (4)(5)(6) at Lexington-63rd) and (M) at Court Sq, 5th Ave-Bryant Park), so I give props to the MTA for updating these announcements to prevent glitches, at least that.

6551-6525 and 6496-6500 has the new updated announcements...

As in the shortened announcements are gone?

Thank God. I was gonna go nuts if they updated every set with those god awful fragmented announcements. "Please stand clear."

Of what, exactly?

To recap new signs:

(1) TO 242 ST/SOUTH FERRY

(2) TO WAKFLD-241/FLATBUSH AV

(3) TO 148 ST/NEW LOTS AV (speculated)

(4) TO WOODLAWN/UTICA AV

(5) TO DYRE AV/BOWLING GREEN/FLATBUSH AV

(6) TO PELHAM BAY/BKYLN BRDG

Some R160 announcements were updated, but signs weren't changed. Also, they use the local announcements when stopping at stations with no express tracks. Not sure why they didn't use an announcement that omitted a local/express designation.

Lastly, the (7) didn't receive sign or announcement updates. I'm aware of the latest update that changed "FLUSHING-MAIN ST" to "MAIN ST", but not the update that deployed on the other IRT lines. IMO, I think they should rid the (7) of local announcements. Local announcements are redundant if you have announcements that can designate an express train. Plus, I don't fancy Campion's voice.

Archived