Updated IRT Announcements and Destinations

CTK246

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, there was no need to downgrade my post -_-

Sorry, smartass. I meant to upvote your post <_< x 10

Lastly, the (7) didn't receive sign or announcement updates. I'm aware of the latest update that changed "FLUSHING-MAIN ST" to "MAIN ST", but not the update that deployed on the other IRT lines. IMO, I think they should rid the (7) of local announcements. Local announcements are redundant if you have announcements that can designate an express train. Plus, I don't fancy Campion's voice.

Didn't receive any updates since its MAIN ST/TIMES SQ update. Besides that, it had the upgrade from old IRT announcement to its new one with Catherine Cowdery and Charlie Pellett

Humanity seems to have this dislike of change hardwired into our genes. Anyone who does not like the announcements will get over it. I'm sure there were people who hated the originals and the subsequent updates before this.

Also, this is an obvious sign that it's working and an expansion of the programs are needed. People kept throwing out the window before accurate results could be seen. Nice to know that it must be providing positive results.

Gotta love experiments.

It may not be so much that the new announcement style is working but rather someone is forcing this change without any real proof. I can tell you with the utmost confidence that the length of the announcements makes no difference at a good chunk of the stations.

I will admit that I don't like the change, but I must agree with Lance. There's just no conceivable way that shortned announcements lead to better dwell times, especially during rush hours.

To digress, I caught a (4) that said "TO BEDFORD PK"

I also made a small video of some of the announcement updates to recap for anyone:

It may not be so much that the new announcement style is working but rather someone is forcing this change without any real proof. I can tell you with the utmost confidence that the length of the announcements makes no difference at a good chunk of the stations.

Time, like money, adds up. Even if the time saved is only 5 seconds, multiply that by the number of trains and stops and I'm sure you will have a significant time savings all across the board. If there was no change, I doubt the shortened announcements would be expanded as negative or anecdotal results would not warrant it.

Pretty sure that's the same exact test train set, it runs as both a 2 and 5 with the new announcements. Nothing new, this has not been rolled out to any other trains since testing began.

If they took the time to change the "The next and last stop is..." and inserted the M86 SBS announcement, with the shorter displays (still don't get that), I doubt they will update them again. Something tells me they may have abandoned the shorten announcements, or are STILL "testing" that train with them. Time will tell I guess.

Time, like money, adds up. Even if the time saved is only 5 seconds, multiply that by the number of trains and stops and I'm sure you will have a significant time savings all across the board. If there was no change, I doubt the shortened announcements would be expanded as negative or anecdotal results would not warrant it.

Thing is, when I caught 6555 and company on the 5 a few times, the shortened announcements made absolutely no difference as to when the doors closed and the train left the station. We still sat in the station for the same amount of time, whether it was because of the station crowds or the various delays that plague the Lex. While I haven't been on the 5 in a while (different commute pattern with the 6), I'm almost positive that this hasn't changed. That's why I believe some higher up in car equipment is pushing this idea through, results be damned.

Either way, I'm sure this setup will become the new standard. I just hope they don't half-ass this switch over. There are, at last check, around 300 route options on the 142/As. If they don't thoroughly go through the coding, it might lead to some interesting (and probably annoying) results. It's bad enough with the different voices in one sentence.

Apparently, updated (5) sets to Wakefield announce themselves as (3) locals to 96 St:

Lmao! It's hard to believe that someone isn't intentionally screwing up the automated announcements with all these failures.

Version 2?

The one without the "ding-dong-ditch" glitch at almost every station. The update that was sent out late last month that includes the new transfer to the M86 Select and has the abbreviated signage. That one.

Archived