Updated IRT Announcements and Destinations

CTK246

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, today's R142 trip made me nuts. I was on a Manhattan Bound (4) Train at Woodlawn, and I knew from when I sat down that this train was going to glitch. Why you ask? The LED boards kept flashing Red and Green on both sides while the strip map kept turning on and off. The train left Woodlawn, and when we got to Moshulu Parkway, the announcement said "This Is 161 Stre-DING! Transfer is availible to the (1), (5) and (6) tra-DING!" The doors open "This Is A Brooklyn Bound (4) Express Train, The Next Stop Is, Atlantic Ave - Bar-DING!" We go to the next stop "This Is, Atlantic Ave - Bar-DING! Transfer is available to the (1), (7), (9) DING!" "This is a Eastchester Bound (4) Express Train. The Next Stop Is, Pelham Parkway."

Long Story Short, the train was taken out of service at 149 Street - Grand Concourse.

The ghost ding phenomenon (as I call it) is becoming more prevalent. I'm hearing it every time I ride the IRT lines it seems (other than the 7, which I rarely take)

That's not surprising. This update was done to include the new M86 Select. It really wouldn't make sense to update the 188s since they won't make that connection.

A couple of new observations:

TO PELHAM BAY PARK is now TO PELHAM BAY.

The glitch is not just limited to the transfers. A couple of new Charlie PSAs call up the wrong files. The new "offer your seat" plays the "South Ferry-bound 5 train via 7th Ave" destination announcement while another one regarding the Livonia Ave station closures pulls up the "Manhattan-bound 5 via 4" destination. I guess we should be happy they actually play and not keep "DING"ing every two seconds.

Whoever created this mess should be fired. They obviously have no idea how to code a program. At the very least, they should know not to use a specialized test program as the basis of a completely different program destined for wide release.

I rode the (6) from Brooklyn Bridge to Pelham Bay Park during the AM Rush. While on the ride, only one or two sets of R142As that passed on the downtown side displayed "TO BKLYN BDGE", while the rest displayed the original "TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE", from my perspective.

Also, there are some minor changes to the announcements on the (4). If it's a two-track station, the announcements be like "This is a Brooklyn-bound 4 train" for example. It doesn't say "express" at all. If the next station is an actual "express" station, that's when the original "express" announcements play on the train. I think the same goes for the (2) and (5) as well, but I'm not sure.

That is correct. While I can't confirm for the 2 as I rarely use that line, the 5 does drop the "express" portion of the destination announcements at non-express stations. Of course, the long-winded "Eastchester-Dyre Av-bound 5 local" destination stuck around for all Bronx locals out of Brooklyn.

Yep. Also, notice how when southbound (4) trains open their doors at Franklin, the announcements just simply say "The next and last stop is Crown Hts-Utica Av". I think the other IRT lines have that sort of announcement change too whenever they open their doors at the second to last stop, but again, not quite sure.

Yep. Also, notice how when southbound (4) trains open their doors at Franklin, the announcements just simply say "The next and last stop is Crown Hts-Utica Av". I think the other IRT lines have that sort of announcement change too whenever they open their doors at the second to last stop, but again, not quite sure.

You may be right. Had that happen to me on the (5) heading to Dyre Av.

That's not surprising. This update was done to include the new M86 Select. It really wouldn't make sense to update the 188s since they won't make that connection.

A couple of new observations:

TO PELHAM BAY PARK is now TO PELHAM BAY.

The glitch is not just limited to the transfers. A couple of new Charlie PSAs call up the wrong files. The new "offer your seat" plays the "South Ferry-bound 5 train via 7th Ave" destination announcement while another one regarding the Livonia Ave station closures pulls up the "Manhattan-bound 5 via 4" destination. I guess we should be happy they actually play and not keep "DING"ing every two seconds.

Whoever created this mess should be fired. They obviously have no idea how to code a program. At the very least, they should know not to use a specialized test program as the basis of a completely different program destined for wide release.

Wait, how do you know this exactly?

That is correct. While I can't confirm for the 2 as I rarely use that line, the 5 does drop the "express" portion of the destination announcements at non-express stations. Of course, the long-winded "Eastchester-Dyre Av-bound 5 local" destination stuck around for all Bronx locals out of Brooklyn.

I take the (2) sometimes while heading to work in the morning. I can confirm right now that the (2) train announcements were updated to annouce "This is a Brooklyn bound (2) train" between 135 St - 110 St and Park Place - Wall St.

Never mind, just as I was thinking about what Lance said, the seat announcement started to play on the LED Boards while the actual one played the (5) via 7th Ave announcement. Who ever is working on this needs to be fired, you can't launch a buggy program on EVERY SINGLE TRAIN!!!

This update was done to include the new M86 Select.

At the very least I've heard that play correctly.

The new "offer your seat" plays the "South Ferry-bound 5 train via 7th Ave" destination announcement

Why would they even record a new one in the first place? I swear, they fix things that aren't broken to justify all those paychecks...

This I actually like, it saves time without the hodgepodge of all those different voices doing one sentence. Speaking of which, if they got the original lady from the (4)(5)(6) line doing announcements for them again (I think, unless they cut and pasted her too), couldn't they have had her re-record the "Pelham Bay <6> running express in the Bronx" and the "Morrison Avenue-Soundview" announcements?

Aaaaaammmeeennnn!!!!

There was an interview with Charlie Pellett recently (I can't find the link at the moment) where he talked about how proud he was to be the voice of the subway. I bet he's banging his head when he hears the mess that's become of the announcements

At the very least I've heard that play correctly.

I've actually caught at least one train where the recording for the M86 Select is missing, resulting in the increasingly prevalent <DING>.

Why would they even record a new one in the first place? I swear, they fix things that aren't broken to justify all those paychecks...

Rumor was that this particular announcement was changed to remove the whole "courtesy is contagious" portion. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it is an unnecessary change nonetheless.

Speaking of which, if they got the original lady from the (4)(5)(6) line doing announcements for them again (I think, unless they cut and pasted her too), couldn't they have had her re-record the "Pelham Bay <6> running express in the Bronx" and the "Morrison Avenue-Soundview" announcements?

I think they're just cutting and pasting Ettinger's recordings from 2003-04 when she redid the Lexington Ave announcements. Most of the new transfer announcements, especially those on 6555 are just edited versions of the those decade old recordings.

There was an interview with Charlie Pellett recently (I can't find the link at the moment) where he talked about how proud he was to be the voice of the subway. I bet he's banging his head when he hears the mess that's become of the announcements

I doubt he really cares that much.

They changed the signs on the (2)...instead of it saying "TO 3 AV-149 ST" it just says "TO 149 ST"

Because that's not confusing at all. 

They changed the signs on the (2)...instead of it saying "TO 3 AV-149 ST" it just says "TO 149 ST"

Which 149 Street? If they want to spend worthless time switching every designation sign, why not put concourse or 3 Av to make things clearer?

The way these signs are going, someone gonna be complaining, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

So tell me, this (2) train is heading to 149 Street right? Well is it heading to:

149 Street - Grand Concourse?

E 149 Street?

149 Street in another parallel dimension?

We should sign a petition!!

Exactly what I was thinking. Who ever is doing this needs to be stopped.

Well... the (4) line program is glitch-free on the Bronx end. When the doors open at Mosholu, it also just says "The next and last stop is: Woodlawn" so that appears to be a new feature on all the lines now as opposed to a glitch.

The Manhattan end however.... *ding* *bing bong* *st-*

I'm going to keep this short:

I got on a crowded R142 (2) train that was packed as hell, the doors closed and we left 14 Street. I took a look at the interior destination board, and it said

" (2) To Wakefeild - 241 Street"

" (2) The Next Stop Is"

" (2) 14 Street"

Even though we just left 14 Street, it's still saying the next stop would be 14 Street. So when we pass by 23 Street, the announcement comes out of nowhere "This Is, Pennsylvania Ave". Everyone looks up from their seats and start to ask questions. We pull into 34 Street, the announcement goes "This Is, Van Sicklen Ave". The Next Thing we hear is the conductor fighting with the TOD screen and the "The Eletronic Strip Maps, are In Service" plays even though this was a (5) set. That seemed to fix the problem, because the (2) was back on track onto its normal routes, but the strip maps were still on.

The conductor probably reset the computer, but the displays didn't register the reset, which is why the signs continued as they were.

An observation update: On Friday, I caught 142A 7745-50+7721-25 on the 4-line with the M86 update. Surprisingly, the announcements were glitch-free, at least when I was on it from 125 Street to Wall St. All transfers played normally for a change. Hopefully this is an update that's being expanded to the other sets.

The conductor probably reset the computer, but the displays didn't register the reset, which is why the signs continued as they were.

An observation update: On Friday, I caught 142A 7745-50+7721-25 on the 4-line with the M86 update. Surprisingly, the announcements were glitch-free, at least when I was on it from 125 Street to Wall St. All transfers played normally for a change. Hopefully this is an update that's being expanded to the other sets.

Well some NTTS still have their old programs so it may be a while before all the NTTS get the same/similar program. I'll keep an eye out for those announcements.

Interestingly enough, the Northbound program glitches.

Another question: have these updates been applied to the (7)?

Archived