Day One: Diaster!

msmcmillan

Day one for training was a nightmare! The only thing I did right was the exterior inspection. Air brake test was horrible and inside inspection so-so. I really messed up being on the road...I couldn't handle the bus at all. Braking, accelerating and turning was a tragedy. I was very excited about training, but now I just feel like resigning...

Sorry to hear about your first day.. :/ 

I would try again tomorrow, however, if you feel you are not ready (before Day 3 or 4), I believe you can drop out, but be able to reinstate later when you are ready (take a lesson or two or three on a school bus at a CDL school) ...

Thanks 161...I think I will end up resigning on Thurs. I did take a few CDL lessons, but the bus I practiced on was nothing like the MTA Bus. Turning was a piece of cake, braking and accelerating was easy! I even parked better than I did my car at the CDL school. MTA Bus is a totally different vehicle.

Thanks 161...I think I will end up resigning on Thurs. I did take a few CDL lessons, but the bus I practiced on was nothing like the MTA Bus. Turning was a piece of cake, braking and accelerating was easy! I even parked better than I did my car at the CDL school. MTA Bus is a totally different vehicle.

everyone does bad their first day if they have never driven a transit bus. Driving a school bus is more like driving a long car. Keep at it. I was terrible my first day as well. When it was all said and done, i passed my road test with only 25 out of 50 points taken away.

Ms McMillan don't give up I know how it is felt the same way on day 1 myself I thought there was no way I would have qualified but after day the first I decided to try to slow things down and I made it on day 7 now I've been on the job a year and a half and I almost quit after day 1 because I had a horrible day when every one else on my training bus did well just try to improve everyday day 6 and 7 is what really counts

Ms McMillan don't give up I know how it is felt the same way on day 1 myself I thought there was no way I would have qualified but after day the first I decided to try to slow things down and I made it on day 7 now I've been on the job a year and a half and I almost quit after day 1 because I had a horrible day when every one else on my training bus did well just try to improve everyday day 6 and 7 is what really counts

And if you screw up on Days 6 and/or 7, you have another chance with a different instructor on Day 9, before having two instructors on Day 10.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement...I appreciate it. I just finished up day three...I'm much better, but must improve on mirror observation and turn set up...I keep hitting those curbs...oh well, day four tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a BO but thank GOD you didn't resign. Everyone has that initial period when they saw I can't do this. I felt this way the first few weeks of being a Track Worker because it's a very physically demanding job. I kept at it and from then on it got easier and easier.

Never give up, sometimes at the darkest moments, thats when we shine. I failed my second Practical for T/O back in 2010 the first time and when I took the retest 3 weeks later, I passed. This job can be intimidating at first but it will get easier as time goes on, I promise you.

Thanks soooo much...I qualified on Day 9! I hit a curb on Day 7, but on Day 8 I had a new instructor that helped with my turn set up and nervousness. Now, I'm still waiting for the road test...

lol... You won't be the last one to do that.  If I had a dollar for how many express bus B/Os hit the curb making the turn onto Irwin to go up the hill to Riverdale startling us out of our sleep... <_<

Archived