Racks Available on S53, S93 Routes for 1-Year Pilot Testing Feasibility, Impact to Service

BreeddekalbL

While we're on the topic of the S53/S93, I haven't seen one CSI student using a bike. They must be all phantoms. If anything they just pile on the S62 and S93 or other Victory Blvd buses along with the S53. I lived on Staten Island for years. I don't see much changing out there. Folks like their cars, period.

I'm sure you would be much happier in a car yourself. Peace and quiet, your own charger, you can leave whenever, just don't sleep behind the wheel :D. I wish I could take the QM4 from 6th Ave when I leave school but I can't use a regular metrocard with $6.50+ on it so yeah I lose that option.

I have mixed opinion about the bike. While I see it being good for people with bike crossing from Brooklyn to Staten Island and vise versa, is it really worth it. I'm sure the amount of people who do use bikes between those two boroughs only make up about 2-3% of the ridership. Installing this bike racks probably don't cost that much so that is why the (MTA) just went ahead with the whole thing. I wonder how this pilot run will turn out because the MTA is notorious especially on Staten Island for using specially modified buses on other routes than the one that they are assigned for. For example artic wrapped SBS buses are always appearing on regular local and limited routes. You also see unwrapped buses on the SBS lines from time to time. The S79 is always running with unwrapped bus.

LGA had luggage racks installed for the Q33(when it ran in LGA) the Q70 and Q72. I always catch other buses running on the Q70 I caught a Orion NG on the Q23 with the luggage rack several times. It will only be a matter of time before we see a bus with a bike rack on the S44, S59 and etc.

MTA will probably have their own version of this instructional video up in a bit, but here's how fast and easy bikes are loaded/unloaded:

I think there will be some surprising results for this trial.  Depending on areas served, there could be some good use of the racks.

When SMART was rolling out the racks, I thought the same way some of you do, but now it's a pretty regular sight to see cyclists using the bus and it doesn't matter which route.  Was told by a friend who cycles on and off that he noticed more than once "leap-frogging" between bike riders to ensure they got a spot on the bus' bike rack.  Rider 1 would see rider 2 at a bus stop, but would continue up a stop or two and wait there for the bus, just in case there was a bike already on the bus.  Rider 1 would get the spot then, and 2 would have to either chain-up or wait for next bus.

And it really does happen just like in the video.  Most regular SMART riders who use a bike can have it loaded/unloaded in under a minute.  Most of them also have their fare ready, too, while the others at the stop already on are still digging in their pockets.

i also forgot to add what are they gonna do when these bikers leave the rack down AFTER leaving the bus  is the driver supposed to beep the horn at them to pull up the rack?

Bicycle owners are suppose to bring bike rack back to upright portion if racks are empty.

When I was on my first SCT S92 bus ride with LIBRU, last bicycle getting off put bike racks back to upright portion.

Only every once in awhile does a customer forget to put the rack up, but operators usually honk the horn to remind them, and it gets handled.

Not a big problem if it's left down, but operator could forget the extra projection and damage it, since when there's a bike on, it's a "reminder" of extra distance needed while driving/stopping.

Had this sorta thing happen just yesterday, cyclist did everything right, except lock must have not been hooked completely, and operator got out at next traffic light and slammed the rack shut (he seemed to have an "attitude" problem already).

Our operators don't help customers in using the rack, but have seen a couple go out and offer directions.  They also key into the farebox when someone uses the bike rack, don't know the extent of using that data, but it must have been something leading to changing the racks from 2 bikes to 3.

An important safety note, maybe someone can whisper to the MTA:

SMART operators are required to put parking brake on when customers are using bike racks.  Earlier this year a DDOT operator ran over a cyclist while using the rack, and immediately after that, all SMART operators were putting the brake on.

Don't buses come equipped with a light notification on the dash telling them the rack is down?

I don't think so, but I'll ask today.  Our fleet is mostly 2002-3 Gilligs, but we've gotten new DEs, and a couple of my regular operators have used them, so the new ones could have them.

If it was pre installed probably, but these were added in so we don't know if they modified the dashboard  

Racks don't come pre-installed....buses are ordered fresh and then installed when ready for training and to hit service.

Examples.....two brand new Xcelsior Trolleybuses before, during and after the testing/evaluation phase.

9vvYziP.jpg

GGoqa7y.jpg

Depends. I would think that if they don't lose sight of the vehicle, they can.

Right -- just like if dealing with a wheelchair passenger.

Hardly ever see operator leave the seat, but they have gone outside to tell a customer which way to make the bike face in the rack, or how to jiggle it to make sure the brace/lock is properly on the bike.

But it's really pretty rare for the operator to get involved.  Mind you, since you guys are "virgin territory" when it comes to bikes on buses, they may need to reinforce instructions to educate customers.

Archived