New rails should solve R train vibrations, MTA says

Q113 LTD

r-train-vibrations_zpsjizr174b.jpg

The (MTA) (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) doesn’t know what caused buildings along the Fourth Avenue route of the (R) train to shake, but the agency has come up with a solution, an official said.

“I have some good news,” Melissa Farley, assistant director of government and community relations for (MTA) New York City Transit, told the Traffic and Transportation Committee of Community Board 10 at a Sept. 3 meeting.

The (MTA) will soon be completing a project in which the rails along the (R) line in Bay Ridge are being replaced, according to Farley, who said the work has been ongoing since 2014.

In 2013, numerous residents living along Fourth Avenue and on several of the side streets off Fourth Avenue complained to Board 10 and to elected officials about strange vibrations they believed were coming from the (R) train, which runs underground beneath Fourth Avenue.

The Rev. Msgr. John Maloney, pastor of Saint Anselm Roman Catholic Church at 356 82nd St., told the Brooklyn Eagle last year that he felt  the vibrations of the (R) train, even though the rectory where he resides is more than a quarter of a block away from the avenue.

“I live on the third floor of the rectory. And I know when the train is coming,” Maloney said.

The main entrance to St. Anselm Church is located on Fourth Avenue between 82nd and 83rd streets.

The vibration from the (R) train is something that Bay Ridge residents living along Fourth Avenue have been putting up with for years, but Maloney and other Bay Ridgeites said that the vibrations suddenly started getting stronger. “It has multiplied 10 times,” Maloney told the Eagle.

Residents said it was more than just rattling dishes that troubled them about the vibrations. Homeowners also feared damage to their walls and foundations.

But on Thursday, Farley said that testing done of the (R) train found “elevated levels but nothing that could do damage” to buildings.

The (MTA) followed the Federal Transportation Administration’s guidelines for testing the vibrations, she said.

The cause of the vibrations remains a mystery. “We could never find out conclusively what was causing the vibrations,” Farley told the Traffic and Transportation Committee.

The new rails, known as continuous welded rail, are being installed on the (R) line between the Bay Ridge Avenue (69th Street) and 86th Street stations. The work is being done mostly between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., Farley said.

In addition to the continuous welded rail, which is installed 400 feet at a time, the project also calls for the (MTA) to put in noise abatement plates and abrasion pads. The pads will be there to prevent the rails from breaking, Farley said.

Board 10 District Manager Josephine Beckmann said that in the areas where the new continuous welded rail has been installed, complaints from residents about vibrations have nearly ceased.

Source: http://www.brooklyneagle.com/articles/2015/9/9/mta-build-elevator-bay-ridge%E2%80%99s-86th-st-station

YES! Now 160s can run on the (R) on a regular basis without issue, one of the few lines where I prefer to ride 160s over the older cars.

So true! I'd much rather have an R160 on the (R) than an R46. I was so happy when an R160 came into the station that day instead of a (expected) R46. 

Another reason why 160s on the (R) is :D

loved the mixed fleet the (F) and (R) had when the Montague tubes was getting fixed.

R160s are needed on the (F) way more than they are needed on the (R) (I do like R160s on the (R) better than the R46s) Those R46s suck on the (F)

Those R46 need a break from the (R). Every R46 (R) I rode since college started back up, one car has a dead motor. It's really bad.

Jamaica's R46s are bad in general. A few T/Os I know (One of them works in the Queens Division) said those R46s acts up in general and crazy thing is the R46s that are on the (A) is in better shape than Jamaica's despite the (A) being the longest route.

Jamaica's R46s are bad in general. A few T/Os I know (One of them works in the Queens Division) said those R46s acts up in general and crazy thing is the R46s that are on the (A) is in better shape than Jamaica's despite the (A) being the longest route.

Nope the ones from Jamaica are better than the ones on the (A) they break down way more

Really? They do well damn they should just make jamaica 100% 60 footers but I've heard they break down more on the (A)

They don't. I ride the (A) a good amount of times during the week and I take the (R) when I have to go downtown. The (A) just sucks in general and the worst of it during the overnights. That, the (2) and (4) lines are lines I cannot stand

But as for the Vibration on 4th Avenue, hopefully they will be fixed.

Nope the ones from Jamaica are better than the ones on the (A) they break down way more

Trust me the Jamaica units are worst than the ones on the (A). That is why you now see several R160 sets on the (R) now. I was surprised to catch 6 of them on the (R) on Monday and the (F) had quite a few R46's. I guess when they finish service they get sent to Coney Island to be worked on.

Trust me the Jamaica units are worst than the ones on the (A). That is why you now see several R160 sets on the (R) now. I was surprised to catch 6 of them on the (R) on Monday and the (F) had quite a few R46's. I guess when they finish service they get sent to Coney Island to be worked on.

The reason for that is because the R46s are having A/C issues

But he's right though. It's not the A/C issues because I've ridden dead motors on the (R) (R46s) in the Winter. Those Jamaica R46s doesn't run really well

The R46s are starting become all worn out because of high mileage I see a bunch of tape on pitkin and Jamaica's R46s dead motors are very common at their age the A/C is starting become a real problem with them

The reason for that is because the R46s are having A/C issues

I heard they are also having some other problems such as dead motors and they breakdown too. I remember taking an (R) consisting of R46 and the train was having door problems. I remember a door on one car refusing to open and everyone had to go through the other doors. It was a mess and then another time last week I was on a R46 whose doors would not all close at the same time. The train operator had to keep opening and closing the doors to get them to work. I remember at 71Ave they said train Not In Service back to the yard. The A/C problem affects some sets that is why more R46's appear on the (F)

The R46s are starting become all worn out because of high mileage I see a bunch of tape on pitkin and Jamaica's R46s dead motors are very common at their age the A/C is starting become a real problem with them

I know this might seem dumb but I've never seen a train breakdown before. What happens when a train breaks down? Does a train sound any different with a dead motor?

I know this might seem dumb but I've never seen a train breakdown before. What happens when a train breaks down? Does a train sound any different with a dead motor?

If a train breaks down in service its taken OOS and runs light to the yard.

If a train has a dead motor you won't hear the propulsion noise cause that particular motor is dead, its most noticeable when a NTT has a dead motor cause there motor noise is so distinctive.

Archived