New York City and State Reach Agreement on M.T.A. Capital Plan

GojiMet86

I think the line will be useful, but I'm not sure how much it will help the Lex line.  It's not just about there being no subway on 2nd Avenue.  The fact is people NEED the Lex line because of the areas it serves.  You have TONS of businesses all along Lex and 3rd Avenue and for some people the 2nd Avenue subway will be going out of their way.  Another question I have is will the (T) make all local stops or will there be an express version?

When I'm along or near 2nd Avenue, I just use the M15SBS.  Not sure that my habits will change because of the (T)..

I feel the like the new line may spur business growth along Second Ave but valid point.   SAS looks to be all local stops station seem to be better spaced. Two track line for the most part beside some storage tracks from 21st-9th street and tail tracks.

I feel the like the new line may spur business growth along Second Ave but valid point.   SAS looks to be all local stops station seem to be better spaced. Two track line for the most part beside some storage tracks from 21st-9th street and tail tracks.

That's the other thing... It will definitely spur the growth of both businesses and MORE residencies alike.  I'm just not totally sold on the idea that everyone will be running to the (T) that currently take the Lex.  Most of the businesses where the money is isn't along or near 2nd Avenue.  If people are willing to put up with the local stops and longer walks then maybe the (T) will work to alleviate the (4)(5)(6) line, but seriously... If I need Union Square, I'm taking any of the trains that stop there... Not the (T) and then schlepping from 2nd and 14th or dealing with a transfer to the (L).

That's the other thing... It will definitely spur the growth of both businesses and MORE residencies alike.  I'm just not totally sold on the idea that everyone will be running to the (T) that currently take the Lex.  Most of the businesses where the money is isn't along or near 2nd Avenue.  If people are willing to put up with the local stops and longer walks then maybe the (T) will work to alleviate the (4)(5)(6) line, but seriously... If I need Union Square, I'm taking any of the trains that stop there... Not the (T) and then schlepping from 2nd and 14th or dealing with a transfer to the (L).

Yeah I see your point. (4) and (5) would still be a faster ride from Brooklyn to 125th. I could see it being great for a UES to the Financial district ride the line could excel there. I don't know if see Bronx riders changing trains at 125th unless there directly traveling to the far Eastside.

If you need Union Square you could take the (Q)  from 2nd Ave and totally avoid the Lex

So with this funding plan is Phase 2 of the SAS locked and in place?

Only partially. This capital program only includes about $1.5 billion for Phase 2 while the full cost will be around $4-4.5 billion.

1tpbmFz.png

As you can see, the items here are mostly doing the necessary stuff to prepare for construction. The rest of the contracts for Phase 2 activities (e.g. building the 3 new stations, trackwork and artwork) won't be funded and awarded until the next capital program(s). This isn't really new, since Phase 1 was funded across 3 capital programs (2000-2004, 2005-2009, 2010-2014) and each one contributed around $1.5 billion.

If you need Union Square you could take the (Q)  from 2nd Ave and totally avoid the Lex

Like VG8 said I could see it working for people on the Eastside. but what if im coming from the Bronx on the (4) or (5) im I really going to switch to the (Q) at 125th? it's a 15 min ride from 125th to 14th on the Lex express.

Only partially. This capital program only includes about $1.5 billion for Phase 2 while the full cost will be around $4-4.5 billion.

1tpbmFz.png

As you can see, the items here are mostly doing the necessary stuff to prepare for construction. The rest of the contracts for Phase 2 activities (e.g. building the 3 new stations, trackwork and artwork) won't be funded and awarded until the next capital program(s). This isn't really new, since Phase 1 was funded across 3 capital programs (2000-2004, 2005-2009, 2010-2014) and each one contributed around $1.5 billion.

Gotcha it's a nudge in the right direction at least.

Like VG8 said I could see it working for people on the Eastside. but what if im coming from the Bronx on the (4) or (5) im I really going to switch to the (Q) at 125th? it's a 15 min ride from 125th to 14th on the Lex express.

Gotcha it's a nudge in the right direction at least.

It's not meant to take you off the Lex if you're headed somewhere on the Lex, it's meant to take all the people walking to and from the east and move them to another line. It's going to be significantly more helpful once the train makes its way down to Houston and then Water Sts.

It's not really meant to decongest it so much as give the Lex a little more breathing room. Right now the trains are so crowded that it actually reduces the maximum frequency they can run, because people holding doors will hold up the trains behind and so on and so forth.

Hopefully Phases 3 and 4 will have four tracks, which could allow more capacity for trains going to queens. Hopefully via the Queens Bypass route via Port Washington, and possibly one train to displace the F off of Queens Blvd, and to put the F via the Bypass as well.

Sadly this won't happen.

It's not meant to take you off the Lex if you're headed somewhere on the Lex, it's meant to take all the people walking to and from the east and move them to another line. It's going to be significantly more helpful once the train makes its way down to Houston and then Water Sts.

It's not really meant to decongest it so much as give the Lex a little more breathing room. Right now the trains are so crowded that it actually reduces the maximum frequency they can run, because people holding doors will hold up the trains behind and so on and so forth.

But the (MTA) is arguing just that... While some people do walk over to Lex because there is no subway line further east, many walk to it because they actually NEED the Lex line.  If it was really about taking people off of the Lex line, I would think more people could simply take the M15SBS, which follows a very similar pattern of the future (T) line.  In fact the (MTA) argued just that when they got rid of the X90 in favor of the M15SBS.  

Im with you.. here's my comment of that "Yeah I see your point.  (4) and  (5) would still be a faster ride from Brooklyn to 125th. I could see it being great for a UES to the Financial district ride the line could excel there. I don't know if see Bronx riders changing trains at 125th unless there directly traveling to the far Eastside."..  Im looking at the facts and asking questions.

Direct link to the Lexington at 125.. so they have to planning for some people to use the SAS from the Lexington Ave Line

There's 1,200 feet between the Lex and SAS in Upper Manhattan and The Village/LES, 1,500-1,600 being the most in the MurrayHill /Kipp's Bay Area for the (T) For Phases 1/2 anyone to the west of 2nd Ave may still use the Lex 86th especially 700 walk to a Express train? If the impression is that service is faster ill walk the extra block. As for the fully route once again that's useful. But what if we never get Phases 3 or 4? then what do we have? What are the numbers for Phase 1 and 2 ridership 350k-400K daily? off the Lex that's still over a Million on the (4)(5)(6). My comments are based on phases 1 and 2..

Im with you.. here's my comment of that "Yeah I see your point.  (4) and  (5) would still be a faster ride from Brooklyn to 125th. I could see it being great for a UES to the Financial district ride the line could excel there. I don't know if see Bronx riders changing trains at 125th unless there directly traveling to the far Eastside."..  Im looking at the facts and asking questions.

Direct link to the Lexington at 125.. so they have to planning for some people to use the SAS from the Lexington Ave Line

There's 1,200 feet between the Lex and SAS in Upper Manhattan and The Village/LES, 1,500-1,600 being the most in the MurrayHill /Kipp's Bay Area for the (T) For Phases 1/2 anyone to the west of 2nd Ave may still use the Lex 86th especially 700 walk to a Express train? If the impression is that service is faster ill walk the extra block. As for the fully route once again that's useful. But what if we never get Phases 3 or 4? then what do we have? What are the numbers for Phase 1 and 2 ridership 350k-400K daily? off the Lex that's still over a Million on the (4)(5)(6). My comments are based on phases 1 and 2..

Also, what happens with the (Q) once it goes to 96th street?  What will replace that in Astoria?  

I like your signature.

Rinse and repeat

The reason I stated that is because it's kinda hard for me to be optimistic about how the MTA handles it's budget for repairs and expansions. There's dozen of stations that truly need attention like Chambers St on the (J)(Z) and some of the elevated stations on the (7) also I wonder why is it taking them soo long to finish up the (1) stations uptown. They need to really look into doing things wisely & resourcefully for the sake of the systems core infrastructure, better maintenance, and most importantly the customers who already pay outrageous trip fares. Sometimes during a G.O. on an outside portion of a line, I've seen workers especially in the summer just loungin' around and I question myself "so this is were are money is going to?" Either I cringe or get sick to my stomach about this whole status quo of the MTA.  Aside from getting service to normally a few days after Sandy, I wish the MTA can talk the talk for once and "keep in touch" with there systems equipment instead of giving us worthless lip service about subway etiquette and how much trash was removed in 2014 "News Flash" I don't think no one cares with or without trash bins & crawling and crying for funds just because in there words "the system is deteriorating and if we don't take action, we will go back to the bad ol' days. Lord please have mercy on us."  Unreal!!!

The reason I stated that is because it's kinda hard for me to be optimistic about how the MTA handles it's budget for repairs and expansions. There's dozen of stations that truly need attention like Chambers St on the (J)(Z) and some of the elevated stations on the (7) also I wonder why is it taking them soo long to finish up the (1) stations uptown. They need to really look into doing things wisely & resourcefully for the sake of the systems core infrastructure, better maintenance, and most importantly the customers who already pay outrageous trip fares. Sometimes during a G.O. on an outside portion of a line, I've seen workers especially in the summer just loungin' around and I question myself "so this is were are money is going to?" Either I cringe or get sick to my stomach about this whole status quo of the MTA.  Aside from getting service to normally a few days after Sandy, I wish the MTA can talk the talk for once and "keep in touch" with there systems equipment instead of giving us worthless lip service about subway etiquette and how much trash was removed in 2014 "News Flash" I don't think no one cares with or without trash bins & crawling and crying for funds just because in there words "the system is deteriorating and if we don't take action, we will go back to the bad ol' days. Lord please have mercy on us."  Unreal!!!

Action requires money, and being able to travel 31 miles on the subway with a free transfer to a bus for $2.75 is still a huge bargain. Getting the current capital plan funded as it was was enough of a clown show, and the station rehabs are not ridiculously expensive - most of the bloat is only in the big capital projects.

But the (MTA) is arguing just that... While some people do walk over to Lex because there is no subway line further east, many walk to it because they actually NEED the Lex line.  If it was really about taking people off of the Lex line, I would think more people could simply take the M15SBS, which follows a very similar pattern of the future (T) line.  In fact the (MTA) argued just that when they got rid of the X90 in favor of the M15SBS.  

The M15SBS is also packed to the gills; you couldn't shove more people on it if you tried. Literally every transportation artery on the East Side is packed to the gills because of the lack of an alternative subway line. The Lex carries more people than the entire transit systems of San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston combined. The MTA is projecting that the SAS will be 80% full upon opening; and this is before we consider the ridership growth the subway has seen since 2004.

Action requires money, and being able to travel 31 miles on the subway with a free transfer to a bus for $2.75 is still a huge bargain. Getting the current capital plan funded as it was was enough of a clown show, and the station rehabs are not ridiculously expensive - most of the bloat is only in the big capital projects.

Money talks, bulls*** walks apparently.

Archived