MTA to Cut QM1 service along Union Turnpike - Winter 2016

Via Garibaldi 8

.....and then they'll justify cutting midday QM5's too, and then we'll be on here up in arms (well some of us anyway) about Union Tpke. being left with just peak hour service.... This is one reason I sincerely believe they split up the old QM1/a service into individual routes....

I haven't stated as such on here (at least I don't think I have), but as far as the future of express buses are concerned (I already stated what I believe will happen w/ the local bus system), I think we're only going to be left with peak direction service only, and nowhere near as many total exp. routes either.... This includes Staten Island btw - Which would only significantly add to the # of vehicles on the road..... You're not going to get the majority of south shore patrons to put up with the whole subway -> ferry -> SIR BS - I'm surprised there's as many people that do it now!

Yeah, funds to pump into rail-based transportation/projects got to come from somewhere, and it's going to be by bastardizing bus service...

Raising the express bus fare to "spare" them (from cuts) won't matter - they want "empty" buses off the roads, you know, like the x29 (yes, I'm going to keep using that example, because it proves what/how blatant a lie was told, regarding how lowly utilized that express route was)....

Let's see how far the MTA will go with this whole underestimating of off-peak public transportation usage.....

Well I doubt the MTA will go that far as to eliminate the QM5 middays. Those buses do pretty well, especially after it turns into hourly service to Manhattan. Seen some of them myself with like 15-20 people. The QM6 IDK much, besides the fact that most midday ridership comes from east of 188 Street anyways, but still does good from what I've seen and heard, but the QM5 does better. 

As for express buses in the peak direction only, I would hope that most communities would complain about it, I know it wouldn't fly by in almost all areas which have off-peak service. However, I don't believe it will get that bad, unless there's a really big shortfall.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I doubt the MTA will go that far as to eliminate the QM5 middays. Those buses do pretty well, especially after it turns into hourly service to Manhattan. Seen some of them myself with like 15-20 people. The QM6 IDK much, besides the fact that most midday ridership comes from east of 188 Street anyways, but still does good from what I've seen and heard, but the QM5 does better.

As for express buses in the peak direction only, I would hope that most communities would complain about it, I know it wouldn't fly by in almost all areas which have off-peak service. However, I don't believe it will get that bad, unless there's a really big shortfall.

I take the midday QM1 5 and 6 regularly, and the issue is really about buses that are late or missing. The following bus is always packed, even at 1 or 2 pm. These cuts will just make that even more of a problem.

I take the midday QM1 5 and 6 regularly, and the issue is really about buses that are late or missing. The following bus is always packed, even at 1 or 2 pm. These cuts will just make that even more of a problem.

It sounds like the QM1, QM5 and QM6 get loads similar to the Riverdale express buses.  Doing "averages" is a very dangerous thing because you cut too much and then you've got SRO buses.  We have days where buses can be empty and then packed the following day, and there's no rhyme or reason to it at times because you have families here that travel together, as well as seniors that travel with 3 or 4 friends making a group of 6 going to a Manhattan matinée, etc.  Of late the buses have been much more crowded during the week and on weekends too with the (1) knocked out.  I see regulars boarding, but plenty of non-regulars, and of late I've been saying to myself, where in the hell are all of these people coming from?  Last night my BxM2 both going and coming back was quite crowded, and the BxM1 this morning was also crowded.  

It sounds like the QM1, QM5 and QM6 get loads similar to the Riverdale express buses.  Doing "averages" is a very dangerous thing because you cut too much and then you've got SRO buses.  We have days where buses can be empty and then packed the following day, and there's no rhyme or reason to it at times because you have families here that travel together, as well as seniors that travel with 3 or 4 friends making a group of 6 going to a Manhattan matinée, etc.  Of late the buses have been much more crowded during the week and on weekends too with the (1) knocked out.  I see regulars boarding, but plenty of non-regulars, and of late I've been saying to myself, where in the hell are all of these people coming from?  Last night my BxM2 both going and coming back was quite crowded, and the BxM1 this morning was also crowded.  

Agreed. I sent out some emails to my representatives and the MTA today about these cuts. The way the MTA worded these cuts is clearly confusing, because I already got some responses back saying that the QM1 runs will instead be replaced with QM5 runs, to which I had to reply "no, they are not replacing the buses, they are telling people to wait for the next bus". Oy vey. 

Agreed. I sent out some emails to my representatives and the MTA today about these cuts. The way the MTA worded these cuts is clearly confusing, because I already got some responses back saying that the QM1 runs will instead be replaced with QM5 runs, to which I had to reply "no, they are not replacing the buses, they are telling people to wait for the next bus". Oy vey.

They're trying to sell them as that, but these are CUTS. Nothing more nothing less.

Technically, that part in which service will be replaced by the QM5 via Fresh Meadows really only applies to the two stops on 188 Street north of 73 Avenue. All the other stops will though see a decrease in service. 

This service changes really only benefits those two stops, since they see double the service during middays, depending what time of the day they're using the bus. Otherwise, it's a cut.

They're trying to sell them as that, but these are CUTS. Nothing more nothing less.

Apparently government employees have difficulty understanding that

Technically, that part in which service will be replaced by the QM5 via Fresh Meadows really only applies to the two stops on 188 Street north of 73 Avenue. All the other stops will though see a decrease in service. 

This service changes really only benefits those two stops, since they see double the service during middays, depending what time of the day they're using the bus. Otherwise, it's a cut.

Apparently government employees have difficulty understanding that

It IS a cut, and (MTA) says as much...  

"There would be a decrease of one bus per hour during weekday middays along the core Union Turnpike corridor; however, the QM5 and QM6 have sufficient capacity to accommodate these passengers, as these weekday midday QM1 trips are currently transporting less than 10 passengers per bus between Queens and Midtown, Manhattan."

It IS a cut, and (MTA) says as much...  

"There would be a decrease of one bus per hour during weekday middays along the core Union Turnpike corridor; however, the QM5 and QM6 have sufficient capacity to accommodate these passengers, as these weekday midday QM1 trips are currently transporting less than 10 passengers per bus between Queens and Midtown, Manhattan."

Yeah but the people that QM1to6thAve is dealing with aren't calling it a cut and that's the problem. Probably some idiotic politicians that don't know any better.  That's why the (MTA) can easily cut express bus service in Queens without any repercussions and there are areas that really need it.  

Yeah but the people that QM1to6thAve is dealing with aren't calling it a cut and that's the problem. Probably some idiotic politicians that don't know any better.  That's why the (MTA) can easily cut express bus service in Queens without any repercussions and there are areas that really need it.  

Hit nail on head (and my head against wall). I'm still waiting to hear back from two more politicians and the MTA. We shall see what happens

Hit nail on head (and my head against wall). I'm still waiting to hear back from two more politicians and the MTA. We shall see what happens

In my experiences, if you reach out to an elected official that is on the Transportation Committee, you'd have a better chance of getting something done. That was one of the reasons we were able to get so many bus routes restored/spared in South Brooklyn. There must be one in Queens representing you. The question is how accessible is he, and how pro-transit is he? Just about every politician will claim to be pro-transit to look good, but there are some that could care less.

In my experiences, if you reach out to an elected official that is on the Transportation Committee, you'd have a better chance of getting something done. That was one of the reasons we were able to get so many bus routes restored/spared in South Brooklyn. There must be one in Queens representing you. The question is how accessible is he, and how pro-transit is he? Just about every politician will claim to be pro-transit to look good, but there are some that could care less.

Are you referring to a city or state transportation committee?

Are you referring to a city or state transportation committee?

Either or.... If you haven't already, I would contact as many people as possible, such as the borough president, and I'd also contact Tony Avella.  I would imagine he must represent areas served by the QM1, and if he doesn't, perhaps areas served by the QM5 and QM6 for sure.  He's been quite busy doing bus studies in Northeast Queens, and quite frankly, he needs to be doing far more to protect AND improve bus service in Northeast Queens, and cuts like this one doesn't help.  From what I've seen, he's done next to nothing to improve express bus service in the area (aside from talking and doing studies).  You guys need some new representatives.  If I lived in Northeast Queens I'd be pissed, not just about this but in general.  The (MTA) is stiffing Northeast Queens of the bus service it needs, and continues to do so because the leaders in that area are doing NOTHING to get more service.  Here's a little study released by your buddy (lol):

Source: https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/tony-avella/senator-avella-announces-release-major-mta-northeast-queens-bus

Here are some more people who have done nothing but shoot hot air:

Assemblyman Nily Rozic, representing Fresh Meadows (surely the QM1 runs through her district).

Something else from Mr. Avella:

State Sen. Tony Avella (D-Bayside), who initiated the Northeast Queens Bus Study last year, said the workshop was a chance for residents to speak on the specifics of bus-related issues in the area.

“My hope is that after this study is done, it shows we need more bus service, we need to change routes, we need to improve service, we maybe need some new routes, but this is your opportunity to say exactly what the problems are and what your needs are,” Avella said during the workshop.

Transportation planners for NYC Transit and MTA Bus Company presented the study. Facilitators led groups in which residents placed stickers on a map of northeast Queens indicating specific areas with bus problems.

Concerns raised during the workshop included students arriving to school late due to bus delays, schedules posted at bus stops not reflecting accurate bus times, bus bunching and buses that stop running after a certain time in the day.

The $500,000 study, money allocated in the state executive budget, looks at service primarily in the neighborhoods of Flushing, Whitestone, Bay Terrace, Bayside, College Point, Oakland Gardens, Douglaston, Glen Oaks, Fresh Meadows and Little Neck.

Well the study is done, so when is he going to start doing something to get better service out there?  Surely you must live in one of the areas listed above that this study was done for, so where are the buses??

Source: http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2015/10/nequeens_tl_2015_03_06_q.html

Steve Israel was another one that yelled about improving bus service in Northeast Queens...

So far they've all got nothing to show for their yelling, aside from $500,000 in a study.  <_<

The (MTA) has done its part (albeit not as well as it could have) and isn't responsible for idiot politicians who can't or won't read.

Either or.... If you haven't already, I would contact as many people as possible, such as the borough president, and I'd also contact Tony Avella. I would imagine he must represent areas served by the QM1, and if he doesn't, perhaps areas served by the QM5 and QM6 for sure. He's been quite busy doing bus studies in Northeast Queens, and quite frankly, he needs to be doing far more to protect AND improve bus service in Northeast Queens, and cuts like this one doesn't help. From what I've seen, he's done next to nothing to improve express bus service in the area (aside from talking and doing studies). You guys need some new representatives. If I lived in Northeast Queens I'd be pissed, not just about this but in general. The (MTA) is stiffing Northeast Queens of the bus service it needs, and continues to do so because the leaders in that area are doing NOTHING to get more service. Here's a little study released by your buddy (lol):

Source: https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/tony-avella/senator-avella-announces-release-major-mta-northeast-queens-bus

Here are some more people who have done nothing but shoot hot air:

Assemblyman Nily Rozic, representing Fresh Meadows (surely the QM1 runs through her district).

Something else from Mr. Avella:

Well the study is done, so when is he going to start doing something to get better service out there? Surely you must live in one of the areas listed above that this study was done for, so where are the buses??

Source: http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2015/10/nequeens_tl_2015_03_06_q.html

Steve Israel was another one that yelled about improving bus service in Northeast Queens...

So far they've all got nothing to show for their yelling, aside from $500,000 in a study. <_<

Haha! I will look into contacting all of those people.

What I feel the problem is, is that the driver from CP always play games, run late, don't show up, they pretty much do anything they can to do less work. So since they aren't doing their jobs properly ridership for that lien can turn out low and then the MTA cuts it.

What I feel the problem is, is that the driver from CP always play games, run late, don't show up, they pretty much do anything they can to do less work. So since they aren't doing their jobs properly ridership for that lien can turn out low and then the MTA cuts it.

Reliability has been a huge issue this fall

Yeah... Lax management.  I assume that the contract that CP has makes it hard to eliminate runs, otherwise they would have those guys on those lines as they should be, but then when too much is cut, the union comes running out talking about how the community needs those buses and the drivers need the runs.  Well then why aren't doing their jobs now??? It's all one big joke.

Reliability has been a huge issue this fall

There also seems to be very turnover at that depot.  Always see new guys coming in, and that's with not even riding on a daily basis.  I use the QM1, QM2, QM5 and QM6 here and there, but it's obvious that they have a lot of rookies in and out.  

Yeah... Lax management. I assume that the contract that CP has makes it hard to eliminate runs, otherwise they would have those guys on those lines as they should be, but then when too much is cut, the union comes running out talking about how the community needs those buses and the drivers need the runs. Well then why aren't doing their jobs now??? It's all one big joke.

IIRC, CP has a contract with the TWU to have 50 express bus runs per week. This change will not set the total runs to less than 50, so technically, it's still within the set limit.

Also, as long as the drivers are placed in other areas or so, ad not fired, the TWU can't really do much about that.

The MTA has tried cutting runs in Bayside on weekday evenings before, but the only reason it was stopped was because of community opposition.

The (MTA) would love to cut as much Queens express bus service as possible because of the run times, but also because they want those people to just take the LIRR or go to the subway.  That's their thinking, and that's why I'd be cautious in yelling for more QM or any other Queens express bus cuts if I were you because the (MTA) doesn't stop cutting once they start.  I wouldn't put it past them to cut more from any route that they can if they can get away with it.  This is precisely why I watch everything that they do.  They will screw over a route purposely to see ridership tank and then argue that the route is performing poorly so it has to be cut.  That's exactly why QM1 should raise hell so that they don't f*ck him over even more with tinkering with the QM5 and QM6.

The (MTA) would love to cut as much Queens express bus service as possible because of the run times, but also because they want those people to just take the LIRR or go to the subway.  That's their thinking, and that's why I'd be cautious in yelling for more QM or any other Queens express bus cuts if I were you because the (MTA) doesn't stop cutting once they start.  I wouldn't put it past them to cut more from any route that they can if they can get away with it.  This is precisely why I watch everything that they do.  They will screw over a route purposely to see ridership tank and then argue that the route is performing poorly so it has to be cut.  That's exactly why QM1 should raise hell so that they don't f*ck him over even more with tinkering with the QM5 and QM6.

Exactly. I've yet to hear back from the many people I wrote to about this issue. Now sure what else to do at this point.

Meanwhile, my midday QM1 broke down right before the bridge, naturally, and the QM5 behind us blew right past us instead of picking us up. .  

Exactly. I've yet to hear back from the many people I wrote to about this issue. Now sure what else to do at this point.

Meanwhile, my midday QM1 broke down right before the bridge, naturally, and the QM5 behind us blew right past us instead of picking us up. .  

That's preposterous... How long did you guys wait for another bus?? I personally would start a petition.  I'm sure you must know some of the regulars.  Spread the word around about the cuts because I doubt many people know about them.

Archived