R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

Concourse can handle more then 1 fleet, what are you talking about..

And you don't know the assignments of the r211 so stop it

If that were the case, then the B should have had the r46's, since it doesn't run 24/7.

It was explained in previous posts that Concourse yard is the reason why the B doesn't have r46's. 

I don't know what is the issue with the B/D getting NTTs. Is it because the B/D doesn't go to Astoria??

8th Avenue is getting CBTC, which includes 59th Street. Therefore, like it or not, the B/D will get NTTs whether it's the r211's or the r160's, but both lines will most likely have the same fleet.

14 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

We need to be patient with the r211's.

In the meantime, I think that the MTA needs to have a contingency plan with the r46's, which are overused and in bad shape.

All CI r68's should be used on the N/Q during the weekends. No Pitkin/207 r179's should be stored during the weekends. Since ENY got more r179's than originally planned, it would be a good idea for ENY to temporarily loan 3-4 eight car r179's to the C until the pilot plus 2-3 production r211's are in Service.

This plan would allow the worst performing r46's to run less often.

While simultaneously wearing down the other cars because those cars are still needed during the rush hr. 

And how do you propose all those rollsigns get changed every weekend to make this work?

26 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

While simultaneously wearing down the other cars because those cars are still needed during the rush hr. 

And how do you propose all those rollsigns get changed every weekend to make this work?

This is what happens when the MTA waits until the last minute to purchase new subway cars. 

Yes, the issues with the r211's will be fixed and they need to be fixed. However, while these issues are being fixed, we may be facing a subway car shortage. The r46's are constantly breaking down causing delays in service and ridership is much higher than in 2020 when the r179's had to be grounded due to issues, which caused the A/C trains to borrow trains from Jamaica and ENY.

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

ENY has sent at least 3 sets of R179’s to Pitkin/207 already. While CI uses more R68/68A’s from the B on weekends for the N/Q. Of course the MTA does not care about rollsigns just rolling stock that can run. 

On 5/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Is the R211 rlly gonna be out for several weeks or even a month? At this point, I understand there are expected to be issues to work out and what not, but *that* would be my breaking point.

I think nobody knows, even NYCT's New Car Engineering or the techs at Kawasaki.  When they are all comfortable with the fixes made and in barn testing, then the cars will be released.  Plus if I were a betting man, they'll run the cars on the line extensively without passengers first, and possibly on the Rockaway test track.  There is a lot of stake here.  They do not want bad press if the cars quickly fail again.

1 minute ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I think nobody knows, even NYCT's New Car Engineering or the techs at Kawasaki.  When they are all comfortable with the fixes made and in barn testing, then the cars will be released.  Plus if I were a betting man, they'll run the cars on the line extensively without passengers first, and possibly on the Rockaway test track.  There is a lot of stake here.  They do not want bad press if the cars quickly fail again.

I would agree..Very likely to see non passenger runs for a while before service again. Just dream forward the base order will be here by the end of summer at the rate they are building them. 

10 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

Concourse can handle more then 1 fleet, what are you talking about..

And you don't know the assignments of the r211 so stop it

What he means is that if R46's are laid up at CCYD and they need a certain part as in a quick running repair (cab windows and the like), CCYD does not stock it because they are a small yard that only maintains R68's.

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

Not only that, but transit is not going thru the added expense of swapping cars out on Friday night and bringing them back on Monday morning.  It cost money to hire transfer crews and with all the GO's going on every weekend, this creates additional issues.

49 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This is what happens when the MTA waits until the last minute to purchase new subway cars. 

Yes, the issues with the r211's will be fixed and they need to be fixed. However, while these issues are being fixed, we may be facing a subway car shortage. The r46's are constantly breaking down causing delays in service and ridership is much higher than in 2020 when the r179's had to be grounded due to issues, which caused the A/C trains to borrow trains from Jamaica and ENY.

They wait till the last minute to purchase subway cars because the state of New York is late in giving the funding in the capital plans.  They can't spend money on purchasing new cars if they don't have the funds!

34 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

So this propulsion issue is a big thing? Had it not been for the other reset, they would have passed the 30 day test with no issue.

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So this propulsion issue is a big thing? Had it not been for the other reset, they would have passed the 30 day test with no issue.

A propulsion issue is a very big thing.  This train laid down over the switches entering 207th St. and had the railroad messed up for hours.  It hasn't been in service since.

34 minutes ago, 40 to 241st said:

What do people thin about the one of the r211's getting vandalized

It's not so bad, obviously it's bad the train got vandalized but it will be cleaned long before they enter service. It's happened to lots of other trains and they all got cleaned shortly after. I don't think they targeted the R211 specifically.

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

A propulsion issue is a very big thing.  This train laid down over the switches entering 207th St. and had the railroad messed up for hours.  It hasn't been in service since.

I get it. If the other 10 car set hasn’t been having issues, why aren’t they doing the 30 day test with those, or does it have to be the pilot?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I get it. If the other 10 car set hasn’t been having issues, why aren’t they doing the 30 day test with those, or does it have to be the pilot?

I'm pretty sure it has to be the pilot if I'm not misktaken