R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

7 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

I think they should get a good look at the open gangways and compare costs with long-term benefits.

We also have no idea if the MTA is actually planning to go through with Option 2, it seems unnecessarily large for the MTA's current needs.

Option 2 is necessary due to CBTC being installed on 8th Avenue, Crosstown, Culver, and 6th Avenue will get CBTC, which will require the A, B, C, and D trains to be 100% NTTs.

Also, let's not forget the second phase of SAS, which will require more trains for the Q.

The MTA needs to stop thinking in present tense. Ridership is growing and it will continue to grow due to the large amount of real estate being built in NYC.

Option 2 must be exercised and they need to have a plan to replace the r68's. It takes 7-10 years to purchase, build, deliver and test new subway cars.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Screenshot_20230608_193246_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20230608_193239_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20230608_193233_YouTube.jpg

From what I hear, SIR programming is going to be on all R211's (that's including the R211A/T's) which are replacing the (V) programming.

Very neat. I like the light blue.

Edited by Ale188

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Screenshot_20230608_193246_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20230608_193239_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20230608_193233_YouTube.jpg

From what I hear, SIR programming is going to be on all R211's (that's including the R211A/T's) which are replacing the (V) programming.

But announcements??? We must know what they sound like! 

Im not a fan of the blank bullet. They should at least put SI or (S).

Edited by Lawrence St

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm not a fan of the blank bullet. They should at least put SI or (S).

Meh, they probably would sound like the NYCT announcements, just a lil different, something like 'This is a SIR train to Tottenville.' or something different. I get that we should know, but they would sound like announcements from the NYCT in my op. And tbh, I like the blank bullet. The SIR runs on 1 line anyway. And it would be better if they did put the S cuz it would be too small for SI. What I'm confused about is why did they put SIR on the screen things on top of the doors hile the front is just SI? It should fit SIR.

When will the R211A have the updated version again, the information displayed was so important, the car number you’re in and the location of stairs, transfers and elevators is important, the MTA always removes stuff of the pilot train, very frustrating 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Im not a fan of the blank bullet. They should at least put SI or (S).

From what I hear when in regards to announcements, there are none. The MTA also continuing to do more with SIR programming so maybe the blank bullets will get updated.

32 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

When will the R211A have the updated version again, the information displayed was so important, the car number you’re in and the location of stairs, transfers and elevators is important, the MTA always removes stuff of the pilot train, very frustrating 

They's still patching up programming if I'm not mistaken especially given the rumors I'm hearing about all R211's replacing (V) programming with (SIR) programs. Not sure if I mentioned this, but the R211S also has NYCT programming, (V) as the placeholder and a full (D) program to Norwood.

2 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Meh, they probably would sound like the NYCT announcements, just a lil different, something like 'This is a SIR train to Tottenville.' or something different. I get that we should know, but they would sound like announcements from the NYCT in my op. And tbh, I like the blank bullet. The SIR runs on 1 line anyway. And it would be better if they did put the S cuz it would be too small for SI. What I'm confused about is why did they put SIR on the screen things on top of the doors hile the front is just SI? It should fit SIR.

Yeah, I agree. @BenTheMiner was able to fit SIR into one bullet and his recreations are the exact same dot count as the real thing.

1 hour ago, foggymetro said:

21 days. Today, 2023-06-09, is the 21st day of the R211A pilot (4060-4064, 4069-4065) trains 30 day revenue service acceptance test. 9 more days to go, the test ends on June 18/19th.

That means in 9 days we're going to jump from having 1 train of R211s to 5-6 trains since they're being pushed in after the test, right?

34 minutes ago, Reptile said:

That means in 9 days we're going to jump from having 1 train of R211s to 5-6 trains since they're being pushed in after the test, right?

There’s only 3 sets including the pilot but Kawasaki does plan to have 2 more sets here to have 5 sets to run after the 30 day test is passed. Of course subject to change. 

9 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Kawasaki had to roll back the the software update for the FIND as they are connected to the door lights which had bugs taking the train OOS. Can always be added later. The focus right now is to get this set to run without mechanical issues while the rest is just cosmetic that can be fixed later.

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah, I agree. @BenTheMiner was able to fit SIR into one bullet and his recreations are the exact same dot count as the real thing.

Nice. It’s good to do something except leavin something there. Especially if you think [insert whoever here] did something that you don’t like. It would be cool to fit SIR into a bullet. 

15 hours ago, foggymetro said:

21 days. Today, 2023-06-09, is the 21st day of the R211A pilot (4060-4064, 4069-4065) trains 30 day revenue service acceptance test. 9 more days to go, the test ends on June 18/19th.

Let's cross our fingers that things continue to go well with the pilot train.

I don't see the problem with the orange and blue bullets on the ceiling displays, since, you know, there is no need to confer other information since local and express is all you need. 

I also don't see why the 211S needs the full subway program or why the A/T need the SIR included... Partly because I am firmly in the camp of any extension of the subway that would ever get to SI would be new build with a transfer point, say, being built in the median of the Staten Island Expressway. 

On 6/9/2023 at 12:27 AM, Vulturious said:

From what I hear when in regards to announcements, there are none. The MTA also continuing to do more with SIR programming so maybe the blank bullets will get updated.

They's still patching up programming if I'm not mistaken especially given the rumors I'm hearing about all R211's replacing (V) programming with (SIR) programs. Not sure if I mentioned this, but the R211S also has NYCT programming, (V) as the placeholder and a full (D) program to Norwood.

I'm surprised there isn't room for all programs...

1 hour ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

I'm surprised there isn't room for all programs...

i mean these aren't top of the line gaming PCs we're talking about. these things need to be simple, given the environment they're designed to work in. Imagine if the only place to put you computer was on top of a dryer that has a broken vibration suppression system, causing it to shake violently. Not a conducive environment for advanced electronics...

Pretty sure you can't run DOOM on them.

33 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

i mean these aren't top of the line gaming PCs we're talking about. these things need to be simple, given the environment they're designed to work in. Imagine if the only place to put you computer was on top of a dryer that has a broken vibration suppression system, causing it to shake violently. Not a conducive environment for advanced electronics...

Pretty sure you can't run DOOM on them.

Yes but these were made when 1TB already exist.. there should be enough room for all programs and more.. (in theory)

5 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I don't see the problem with the orange and blue bullets on the ceiling displays, since, you know, there is no need to confer other information since local and express is all you need. 

I also don't see why the 211S needs the full subway program or why the A/T need the SIR included... Partly because I am firmly in the camp of any extension of the subway that would ever get to SI would be new build with a transfer point, say, being built in the median of the Staten Island Expressway. 

It does not look good, that's why.

Because in order to make it easier on everyone that programs the trains, it's better to have one datatbase.

33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

It does not look good, that's why.

Because in order to make it easier on everyone that programs the trains, it's better to have one datatbase.

1: that’s subjective. I think it looks fine.

2:you can have one database… but there’s no purpose to have one large file to download from said database. There are lots of things in the automated announcements that Staten Island doesn’t need.

Does SIR connect to the Airtrain?

Does SIR have to wait at Union Square or Lorimer Street for single tracking?

Does SIR prohibit moving between cars? (Actual serious question that time, I know they used to allow it but I have not set foot on SI in YEARS…)

also, all the announcements would need to be edited to remove the word “subway” anyway.