R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 minute ago, R179 8258 said:

Wasn't the goals was to give R211 to the (A) and (C) and they rotate between R179s and R211 since they both would be able to maintain in different barns ? And didn't they equip the R179s 10 Cars with CBTC ?

That what they want

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

… has common sense just evaporated?

Occam's razor… the train operator punched the wrong setting into the system and didn’t bother to change it…

which is exactly, factually, what happened…

which I know because I have been on 4070-79…

ALL DAMN DAY… without a break.

I’m still on her right now… I’m off the clock now, but I’m free… till tomorrow when I have to do this all over again.

I’m working as the “Gap conductor”… I take over when people who aren’t qualified are assigned the train. Turns out not a lot of people are qualified because I was at her controls for nearly 8 straight hours…

the one time I was not was that first run out of Euclid, otherwise I would have changed it to A.

Not sure if it was you I saw yesterday, but if you saw a dude with a Kamen Rider Double shirt on, it was moi. 

Finally got my Far Rockaway trip yesterday and I definitely felt a tinge of happiness. Crazy to think all the East Coast sutems are in the process of getting rid of their last OG car classes.

A new Era really is upon us and I need to experience as much of the current sytem as I can. Memories and all that

2 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Not sure if it was you I saw yesterday, but if you saw a dude with a Kamen Rider Double shirt on, it was moi. 

Finally got my Far Rockaway trip yesterday and I definitely felt a tinge of happiness. Crazy to think all the East Coast sutems are in the process of getting rid of their last OG car classes.

A new Era really is upon us and I need to experience as much of the current sytem as I can. Memories and all that

DC is still putting NTTs on their trains despite their issues with Kawasaki, which was much more severe, than the r179's. Also, the FML in Philly has NTTs. I'm not sure about the BSL in Philly. If I'm not mistaken Boston is in the process of putting NTTs as well.

13 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

DC is still putting NTTs on their trains despite their issues with Kawasaki, which was much more severe, than the r179's. Also, the FML in Philly has NTTs. I'm not sure about the BSL in Philly. If I'm not mistaken Boston is in the process of putting NTTs as well.

Boston has a few NTTs in service on the Orange Line and I think the new ones for the Red Line are being delivered too. 

11 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

You tried to use her post to make it seem like you proved a point, but what you did was prove that YOU in fact are the one that lacks common sense. If you're mad that I called you a foamer that's fine; but if you're gonna try to attack me or anyone else here, you should try attacking us with facts. Unfortunately for you, you're facts were waaaay off here.

You are very immature and have a LOT of growing up to do. I don't know how old you are, 'cause as you stated I don't know you. But I'm willing to bet that you are of school age. You should really learn how to read as well as learning basic comprehension skills. Maybe then you'll finally have the 'common sense' that you falsely tried to claim that we lack. It's the audacity for me. Carry on child.

I ain’t the only one who lacks common sense here. And talkin about facts, I kinda said some of those in my last post. Yeah, sure they might all not be true, and idc about that. And whatcha tryin to do now? f**kin CYBERBULLY me? I’m a grown adult and I can read and comprehend. It’s just y’all take shit to the next level and then try to make me the guilty one. I say one thing that don’t make sense to me and y’all try to spazz out about it. Like I said in the last post, I ain’t an expert at this type of shit. I’m literally a lil bit more than average. Some of y’all are just selfish and really care about yourselves so much y’all want to win against somebody else. I ain’t that way tbh. And sometimes y’all want other people to support y’all in arguments even though nobody is gonna pick a side! I ain’t tryin to win this argument, hell, I don’t even need supporters, but I’m just trying to tell y’all about why I thought what I thought. If we gonna continue on with this, I’m gonna leave (not the website but the argument) with at least something. And if you want backup, look at my argument with Bill a while ago. I lost, but it was kinda worth the loss. So don’t try to backfire shit at me even though it was kinda worthless for you to say. You sometimes need to keep your opinions to yourself and u don’t gotta say them out loud. You need to start doing so cuz talkin about my cons, you have some too clearly. You don’t know how to keep your opinions to yourself. Might as well do so starting now. Continuing…

Edited by Ale188

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It’s actually the MFL (Market-Frankford Line) in Philly. Yes they do have NTTs called the M4, which is poorly built by ADTranz from 1997-1999. Their car numbers are from 1001-1220, but 1033-1034 are used as a disposal and revenue collection service, which runs nightly after trains stop running. The BSL (Broad St) line does NOT have NTTs, their trains are B-IVs from Kawasaki in 1983. Their car numbers are in 2 dividends: the single ends are 501-576, and the double ends are 651-699. 2 cars (650 & 500) were renumbered to CW3 & CW4. They do the same routine as the MFL. These trains are slated to retire once an order of B-Vs, BSL’s NTTs arrive, which is hopefully next 2 years. The Trolleys, are slated to get new 130 light rail cars by 2027. 

Edited by FLX9304

4 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

These trains are slated to retire once an order of B-Vs, BSL’s NTTs arrive, which is hopefully next 2 years. 

This is the first I've heard of it. Source? The B-IVs may be old as dirt, but they still seem to run quite well. I wouldn't be surprised if SEPTA replaced the M4s before the B-IVs. 

...and how are we defining NTT here? AC traction? 

Edited by rbrome

6 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

It’s actually the MFL (Market-Frankford Line) in Philly. Yes they do have NTTs called the M4, which is poorly built by ADTranz from 1997-1999. Their car numbers are from 1001-1220, but 1033-1034 are used as a disposal and revenue collection service, which runs nightly after trains stop running. The BSL (Broad St) line does NOT have NTTs, their trains are B-IVs from Kawasaki in 1983. Their car numbers are in 2 dividends: the single ends are 501-576, and the double ends are 651-699. 2 cars (650 & 500) were renumbered to CW3 & CW4. They do the same routine as the MFL. These trains are slated to retire once an order of B-Vs, BSL’s NTTs arrive, which is hopefully next 2 years. The Trolleys, are slated to get new 130 light rail cars by 2027. 

I always wondered if SEPTA would consider ordering its own version of the R211 with an orange front and seats as the replacement for the B-4 cars. Having rode the subways in Philly many times, including regularly in 1996-98 when I went to college there, it doesn’t seem like there’s anything unique about the Broad Street Line that would prevent NYC B-Division subway stock from running there. They might need a power upgrade on Broad St to accept New Technology trains, like they had to do in the Rockaways in order for R160s, R179s and R211s on the (A).

2 hours ago, rbrome said:

This is the first I've heard of it. Source? The B-IVs may be old as dirt, but they still seem to run quite well. I wouldn't be surprised if SEPTA replaced the M4s before the B-IVs. 

...and how are we defining NTT here? AC traction? 

Yes. Other than the upcoming Alstom trolleys, the only talk of new SEPTA transit rail equipment I’ve been hearing about are replacements for the M-4 cars. But I for one was surprised to read that that they’re talking about replacing the M-4 cars and not the B-4 cars, even though the M-4 cars are 15 years newer than their Broad St counterparts. I guess the M-4 cars really are that bad.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

41 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I always wondered if SEPTA would consider ordering its own version of the R211 with an orange front and seats as the replacement for the B-4 cars. Having rode the subways in Philly many times, including regularly in 1996-98 when I went to college there, it doesn’t seem like there’s anything unique about the Broad Street Line that would prevent NYC B-Division subway stock from running there. They might need a power upgrade on Broad St to accept New Technology trains, like they had to do in the Rockaways in order for R160s, R179s and R211s on the (A).

Yes. Other than the upcoming Alstom trolleys, the only talk of new SEPTA transit rail equipment I’ve been hearing about are replacements for the M-4 cars. But I for one was surprised to read that that they’re talking about replacing the M-4 cars and not the B-4 cars, even though the M-4 cars are 15 years newer than their Broad St counterparts. I guess the M-4 cars really are that bad.

Yeah, right now, they’re doing station renovations, Susquehanna-Dauphin’s corridor has been trimmed to use HEETs on the north end and booth clerks on the south end. 
yes, you really need to upgrade the signals, that’s first & foremost. Use a similar signal base system such as the MFL, good for extra trains to run on the 2 lines 

9 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Thanks for the clarification.

10 hours ago, Ale188 said:

I’m a grown adult and I can read and comprehend.

I would steer clear of using “I am an adult” when the accusation is “you are a kid/not grown up” because there’s a word for such people once you put the two together: man-child.

If I say what I am ACTUALLY thinking…

people are actually refusing to get qualified on these trains. It makes running service with them difficult.

some people have said “well, just set them aside till you have enough people”… but that’s not an option.

all that is going to do is prolong the maintenance headache of keeping the R46s running as more and more people stall learning them. It’s giving in to their resistance to change. A LOT of qualified people picked off the A. 

folks just need to bite the bullet and learn them. They are not going anywhere.

”you won’t catch me driving that thing…” needs to stop.

7 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

people are actually refusing to get qualified on these trains. It makes running service with them difficult.

some people have said “well, just set them aside till you have enough people”… but that’s not an option.

all that is going to do is prolong the maintenance headache of keeping the R46s running as more and more people stall learning them. It’s giving in to their resistance to change. A LOT of qualified people picked off the A. 

That would answer my question of why there aren't enough crews. I found it VERY abnormal for there to not be enough and can't recall if the 160s, 179s, and 188s had this issue as 2005 is as far back as my enthusiast career goes. 

Childish way to go about it honestly.

(Oh Genm, 2005.......the year I gained regular access to the internet)

Part of the problem is there are two trains… but only one gap crew per tour.

So for one train the dispatchers had us as an option and the other train they didn’t.

there needs to be a crew per train. 
hell, it might be stressful but if they could at least make it so I get an honest to god lunch break, I would volunteer for the job (it’s pretty good for overtime). Instead of shoving a sandwich down my throat between 125 and 59.

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Part of the problem is there are two trains… but only one gap crew per tour.

So for one train the dispatchers had us as an option and the other train they didn’t.

there needs to be a crew per train. 
hell, it might be stressful but if they could at least make it so I get an honest to god lunch break, I would volunteer for the job (it’s pretty good for overtime). Instead of shoving a sandwich down my throat between 125 and 59.

Can you feel the difference between the R211 vs 179/160? 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

The thing about feeling a difference for someone like me, it depends more on my partner’s operating skills and quirks.

had a guy the other day doing 50 into Utica, a known fast station, yet still brought the train to a perfect stop.

Deadass? Was it southbound or northbound?

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I have quite a few friends who are C/O’s and T/O’s and they don’t want to qualify on them because of the cameras.

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I wouldn't be surprised if those crews who are refusing to get qualified are crews that have been working for the MTA for over 20 years and have their mindset stuck in the 1990's, a time when almost all SMEEs (except the redbirds) were in excellent shape.

We're not in the 1990's anymore. We're in 2023. Crews that run the A train need to get it together or the MTA will have to discipline them.

22 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Cameras in the cabs.

Still, if employees are doing what they suppose to be doing at work, then they should not have an issue with being supervised via camera or via face to face. This applies to all jobs in general. 

In the case of the MTA, train crews are responsible for the safety of thousands of people who ride the subway.